Disclaimer: Although we've made every possible effort to ensure the data on this page correct, we cannot guarantee it is.
- Fully galvanized steel monocoque body designed by Pininfarina.
- Drag Coefficient (Cd) 0.34
- Bronze tinted glass.
- 4 cylinder, in-line, aluminium block with replaceable liners, aluminium alloy cylinder head, 5 main bearings, Single overhead camshaft driven by toothed belt, water cooled.
Firing order 1-3-4-2 (No 1 cylinder at flywheel end of engine). Direction of crankshaft rotation, clockwise viewed from right hand side of vehicle.
- Oil pump - gear type chain driven from crankshaft. Oil pressure 3.5 bar @ 4000rpm, oil pressure warning light operating pressure 0.44 to 0.58 bar.
- Engine inclined to the rear at 30° angle.
- 1.6 to 1.9 engine capacity difference due to different stroke.
- Compression test info - The compression should build up quickly in a healthy engine, followed by gradually increasing pressure on subsequent strokes. Peugeot don't specify an exact pressure, but less than 10 bar is considered as less than healthy. Pressures should be similar between cylinders, with any difference larger than 2 bar indicating a problem.
- Cooling system is pressurised type with expansion tank/bottle and front mounted radiator, electric cooling fan, coolant pump (Driven by camshaft timing belt) and thermostat.
- Fuel pressure regulated to 2.9 to 3.1 bar. Fuel pump flow rate 540cc/15sec. Idle mixture CO content 1.0 to 2.0% (Adjustable on LE2 Jetronic systems only).
- Fuel economy 27 - 31 mpg.
See below for more info on chassis numbers etc.
Fuel Injection Systems:
Bosch LE2 Jetronic
A roller type electric fuel pump located in the fuel tank pumps fuel through the filter to the injectors via a fuel distribution rail. The electronic control unit (ECU) which is triggered by the ignition circuit sends impulses to the injectors which operate simultaneously and inject fuel into the vicinity of the intake valves. The ECU is provided with sensors to determine engine temperature, speed and load, and the quantity of air entering the engine. This information is computed to determine the period of injection. For cold starting, additional fuel is provided and, to compensate for this, additional air is provided by the supplementary air device (SAD).
Bosch LU2 Jetronic
The principle of operation of the LU2 system is similar to the LE2, the only significant difference is the LU2 incorporates an oxygen sensor in the exhaist system. This enables the ECU to carry out fine fuel mixture adjustments to allow the use of a catalytic converter.
Bosch Motronic M1.3
The Bosch Motronic M1.3 system was designed to meet the emission control legislation while providing excellent engine performance and fuel economy. The system is under overall control of the Motronic M1.3 engine management system, which also controls the ignition timing. The principle of operation is again similar to the LE2 system, but with the following differences:
a) A double barrel throttle housing is used with 2 throttle vales acting simultaneously
b] An oxygen sensor is fitted to the exhaust system, allowing fine mixture adjustment to enable use of a catalystic converter.
c) A TDC sensor is used to provide the ECU with information about the crankshaft speed and position.
Five-speed, all indirect, with synchromesh.
upto 1990 BE1/5 Reverse next to 1st, 1990 on BE3/5 1990 onwards
1.6 Ratios (mph per 1000rpm): 1st 3.31 (4.9); 2nd 1.88 (8.6); 3rd 1.36 (11.9); 4th 1.07 (15.2); 5th 0.87 (18.7). Final-drive ratio 4:06:1
1.9 Ratios (mph per 1000rpm): 1st 2.92 (6.2); 2nd 1.85 (9.8); 3rd 1.36 (13.3); 4th 1.07 (16.9); 5th 0.86 (20.9). Final-drive ratio 3:69:1
Clutch is a diaphragm spring, single dry plate and cable operated with a 200mm diameter drive plate.
Front: Independent, MacPherson struts, coil springs, lower wishbones and anti-roll bar
Rear: Independent, trailing arms fixed to single beam, transverse torsion bars, telescopic shock absorbers and anti-roll bar.
1.6 GTI 1989 and later only.
Height (on jacking points): Front 171 mm, Rear 157 mm.
1.6 - 5.5J-14in diameter cast-alloy 12 hole, with 185/60-R14 radial-ply tyres.
Tyre pressures 29psi (2bar) front and rear.
1.9 - 6.5J-15in diameter cast-alloy, with 185/55HR-15 radial-ply tyres.
Tyre pressures 29psi (2bar) front and rear.
Rack and pinion, 3.2 turns from lock to lock. Turning circle 1.6 - 5.4m, 1.9 - 5.85m
Dual circuit hydraulic with vacuum servo assistance with compensator valves fitted between front and rear brake lines to reduce brake pressure to rear wheels on heavy braking. Mechanical cable operated handbrake on rear wheels. Bendix ABS on some later models.
Front: 247mm (9.7in) diameter ventilated discs with Bendix or Girling single pistion sliding caliper.
Rear: 247mm (9.7in) solid discs on 1.9 with Bendix single pistion sliding caliper, Self adjusting drums with leading and trailing shoes on 1.6.
Fuel tank: 50 litres (11.0 gallons)
Cooling system: 6.6 litres (11.6 pints)
Engine sump: 5.0 litres (8.8 pints)
Manual transmission: 2.0 litres (3.5 pints)
*le = limited edition models, la = later models
^Griffe is the Fench for claw.
Chassis number: VF3XXXXXX00000000 (Where XXXXXX is the manufacturer code)