• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

[engine_work] 306 Project

jackherer
I think I'll just chuck some radweld in, I can't be arsed trying to find another radiator, it took long enough finding one with the right ends to start with! Either that or take it back off and poke it with a soldering iron and hope for the best! I need to fix it sharpish though, I need it for work!

Use two pack epoxy resin glue, it handles both the temperature and water, I've used it to seal small leaks with radiators loads of times.

taylorspug

^^^ Just what i was going to suggest ^^^

Make sure you get the two pack stuff, its hard as nails when it dries and will resist pretty much anything.

craig f90

For your leak, Have you tried Q bond? bloomin good stuff. it comes as a steel and plastic weld kit. Way stronger than super glue and fills holes. Most decent motor factors stock it.

Rob Turbo

Thought I'd add a bit more to this now, it's been a while!!

I've been having problems with the handling, I think it's wishbone bushes, but I'll have to have a good look. Since the last update on here I've fitted coilovers, which were a pain in the arse, the springs were far too soft so they got replaced with some 350 lb springs from rally design, I've got the xsi cam fitted, which seems to have made a fair difference, yet to have it rolling roaded again though, although the clutch slips a lot now, so I bought myself a paddle clutch and uprated clutch cover, I'm hoping to get a quaife to fit at the same time as the clutch to save taking the box out twice, although I've put this on hold for a bit due to a new business venture!

I've also got a pair of drilled and grooved disks to fit, hopefuly they'll make a bit of difference.

You may have read in the aftermarket management section that I've been getting a megasquirt, which I've built up, made a loom and fitted today, suprisingly it fired up almost straight away, only problem being I wired a relay wrong, which was found and fixed quickly, it now starts and ticks over, just need to get cracking with the mapping tomorrow, hopefuly have it sorted enough to drive it to work on monday!

Hopefuly more to come soon!

Rob Turbo

Quick update, I've got the car running quite well on the megasquirt, I fitted the saab turbo injectors today and adjusted the fuel table slightly to get it running how it was before, i.e. slightly richer than ideal and I'm on tuning it to ideal now, it's around 9-10 AFR on boost, which is too rich but better than being lean.

It's lacking a bit of power from 3k rpm, infact a lot of power, but only in 3rd and higher, in 1st and 2nd it flys through the revs, I'll take some more logs tomorrow, it could well be because it's so rich, but may also be because of my practically non-existant spark table. I'm planning on getting the spark table somewhere close by adding advance where it feels like it's missing until it feels a bit better, then book it in for some rolling road time to be mapped.

If anyone has a map with a spark table that I could use as a guideline, for any management that I could get the software for, I'd much appriciate it <_<

Rob Turbo

Benn playing a bit more today, got the cold start sorted, warmup enrichment is about right, got the idle valve fitted and working, only on warmup, but still needs a bit of setting up. I also need to adjust the idle screw now to bring the revs down once it's warm.

I've added a bit more advance around 3k and it moved the sluggish point up to around 4k, so I've added more advance right from 3k to 6k and I've been taking more logs and adjusting the fueling, a bit at a time, I haven't tried the latest fuel table or the extra advance yet, I've just saved them to the ecu, ready for testing tomorrow.

The acceleration enrichment was being a pain to get right using MAP so I've switched to TPS and it's 100% better now.

The over run fuel cut doesn't do anything though, I've tried altering the settings, moving the RPM and TPS limits and still nothing, I'm gonna have to do some reading up on it, I might have some other settings all wrong that's counteracting the over run fuel cut.

More soon!!

Rob Turbo

Things are going well on the megasquirt front!

I've got the overrun fuel cut sorted, the reset problems I was having are now sorted I think!! There's a misfire on boost when it's hot, I'm trying to get my hands on a spark table to use as a guide still, I think that's got something to do with the misfire.

I've been doing a lot of reading up on spark advance, I'm just lacking a dyno to put it into practice!

Rob Turbo

Bit of bad luck today, this morning the engine started smoking, back to it's usual tricks I thought, gave the throttle a blip and the smoke got worse, usualy a blip clears it and it dosen't smoke for a while, not this time! On my dinner break I went home as usual, on the way back it started to run lumpy, by the time I got to work it sounded like it was running on 3 pots, a quick check to see if all the leads were on etc. all seemed ok, but I didn't have time to do anything else.

After work I got it home, took the plugs out, 1 and 4 were a nice browny colour, 2 and 3 were black, a quick compression test, 160, 50, 40, 160(psi), bugger, looks like the gasket's given up! Had a quick look down the plug holes with a torch, 2 and 3 look like they're scored, 3 seems to be the worst and was oily as well, it might be oil in both of them and neither scored but I'm not getting my hopes up, I poured some oil in 2 and 3 and re tested them, 3 went up to 100, 2 went up to 70. So it's not looking good basically.

I'll start taking the head off sometime, possibly during the week, more likely the weekend, if the pistons and/or bores have had it I think I'll just be taking the useful bits off, scrap it, then find something else to play with!

carbers205

Doh, sorry to hear that mate, just as you were getting it going properly as well

Andy

Rob Turbo

I haven't finished pulling the head off yet but I've decided to go for a v6 conversion now, I may have an engine and box sorted, so all my turbo bits will probably be going up for sale, not quite sure yet!

So, watch this space!!

welshpug

lol! V6 going on the megasquirt?

Rob Turbo
lol! V6 going on the megasquirt?

I doubt it, not yet anyway, but probably not ever, I'll keep that for any future project I might come up with!

I picked the engine up today, 260 mile round trip! The engine is complete with wiring loom, ecu, gearbox, well 2 actually, because he said just before I got there he checked it over and couldn't select any gears so he gave me a spare, but when I got home and spun the shafts it went straight into every gear, so I've got a spare just incase!, shafts, pedal box, gear lever and selector cables and a bit of the downpipe to mate up to my exhaust.

He said that if I need anything else or have missed something that I should have had, just give him a ring or email and he'll send whatever it is up to me, really spot on bloke!

Nearly every v6 post I've read people have said they got the engine then realised how big they really are, I always thought yeah, of course it's big, but I now know exactly what they mean!! It looks like there's no way on earth it will fit in the bay!

Took a few photos once I got it out of the van:

th_Photo-0033.jpg

th_Photo-0036.jpg

th_Photo-0034.jpg

th_Photo-0035.jpg

I'll be doing a bit more engine removal tomorrow, once I've seen how bad the turbo engine is I'll put up a for sale topic with everything that's useable still, which will probably be everything except the block!

Hopefuly more to come soon, I've got a bit more reading up to do about sorting the clutch, not sure if I should be swapping/modifying the whole thing to use the hydraulic clutch or find some way of using the standard cable.

cybernck

excellent turn in the project mate :wacko:.

the thing is, the rear 3 cylinders are about as positioned as the existing 4 you have,

it's the front end of the engine bay that needs the clearance. and the subframe might

need to be modified, though 306 subframe is a bit different than 205's.

although it's a 205, it's worth a look: http://www.205v6.com

also, take a look at JERAM's 309 V6: http://projects.205gtidrivers.com/jeram

hope this helps :D.

welshpug

as it happens I asked Spoox about the issues with fitting the engine into the 306 as they have done a few now, Darren said that the subframe does indeed need modifying to clear the Diff casing, the rear engine mount needed making, as does the top right hand arm, basically the same as fitting to a 205/309.

Rob Turbo

I have use of a small garage for the conversion now, thanks to the lad that lent me his van to collect the engine! It will be a bit of a pain getting the engine/car into the garage because the entrance has quite a ramp but I'm sure I'll manage! The engine is going in the garage tomorrow to be tinkered with, basically pull off everything I don't want/need like pas and air con, get the timing belt off and order a new one, along with a new water pump to be on the safe side.

I've found a couple of missing bits, nothing major, but the bloke said he will post the bits up for me, now also getting a radiator off him.

I've already read through JERAM's project thread and had a look on 205v6.com, picked up a couple of tips.

jackherer
Nearly every v6 post I've read people have said they got the engine then realised how big they really are, I always thought yeah, of course it's big, but I now know exactly what they mean!! It looks like there's no way on earth it will fit in the bay!

Big but surprisingly light, unless they have an auto gearbox bolted to them.

Rob Turbo

Light? Mine seemed to weigh a ton!! I have gotten a bit out of shape though, I struggled with the spare 'box! I used to be able chuck BE boxes around all day long :D

welshpug

yeah, ML boxes are rather heavier!

that's where the main bulk of the extra weight is, it would be interesting to see exactly how much the engine minus A/C weights, and the gearbox.

you can get a slippy diff for them too :D

Rob Turbo

I might just drop it on the scales when the box and A/C and PAS are off, dunno how well the bathroom scales will take it though!

M@tt

they weigh a bloody tonne, it took me allenallen & calvinhorse to shift mine that i sold to cal last weekend, granted cal is as weak as piss though :)

Rob Turbo

You given up on your v6 now then matt?

M@tt

yeah i wanted to put it in the back of my t16 kitted 205 but i thought its just going to take me too long so instead i've bought a gti6 engine and the plan is to superchrage it with a M45 (which i've got already) as per AllenAllan project or i'm keeping my eye out for a M62 charger

Rob Turbo

Got it in the garage today, took the pas and A/C off, bottom pulley off and timing belt covers off, bah that's a long belt!!

th_Photo-0037.jpg

I'll probably start taking the 'box off tomorrow to check the clutch out, I've found that I will need a new speedo drive, the one that's on is electric only so I'll need a cable and electric one, which is £60 odd from pug, or I could get a cable only one for about £5, I think I'll do that!

welshpug

you'll need the electric output for the ECU, just like the turbo and S16 - gti6 conversions.