• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

[engine_work] 306 Project

Rob Turbo

What exactly does the ecu need the vehicle speed for? They seem to run fine without them (2.0 8v turbo does anyway)

jackherer
What exactly does the ecu need the vehicle speed for? They seem to run fine without them (2.0 8v turbo does anyway)

My Xantia Activa had a weird flat spot when you pulled away in first gear when the speed sensor died.

Rob Turbo

After a bit of reading up I think that the BE speedo drive will fit the ML box, obviously use the gear thing from the ML speedo drive still though, so I'll be able to use the one that's in the 306, I'll just have to rewire the loom to take the 3 pin version rather than 2 pin which is on already, which isn't a problem, I have a spare 3 pin connector left over from the bits I ordered for my megasquirt loom!

And, I think I've found the simplest way of getting the hydraulic clutch working :wacko: I'm not 100% sure but I think the master cylinder from the 406 will fit into the pedal box, then cut the plastic end off that went to the 406 pedal, tap the end and fit a ball joint cup, then drill the clutch pedal and put a ball joint in for the rod to connect to, in theory, it's perfect, I'll have to wait and see if it will work though!

No more REAL work yet! Busy day at work so I've just sat scouring the internet for solutions!

DaveW

Look at that perfect fit ;)

post-3307-1228219685_thumb.jpg

welshpug

Is that left hand drive or is it using the 406's servo+pedal bar assembly?

Rob Turbo

It looks like a right hand drive with the 406 servo and pedal bar (look at the windscreen wipers)

I'm in two minds whether to do it that way or not, I'm thinking probably not, but I'm going to be cutting and welding where the clutch cable goes through the bulk head to fit the hydraulic setup, which will be easier to do with no servo on so while I'm at it I might just fit the 406 jobbie, which seems quite a bit bigger than the base model servo that's in the 306 at the minute!

Haven't done much more, so far I've removed gear rods, indicators, headlights and the grill, and took the speedo drive out of the BE box to try in the ML box, but still haven't tried it!! I'm hoping to be taking the turbo lump out this weekend, and possibly trial fitting the v6, but that all depends on if I get a new belt and water pump bought and fitted first, the engine isn't going near the car until I've done that, because it will be a real PITA getting the car into the garage and once it's there there won't really be room to work on the engine, and there's no point in making extra work for myself if it can be avoided!!

Rob Turbo

I dug out an old TU driveshaft off the 306, from when it had the 1.4 engine, put it next to a v6 driveshaft, and they seem to be the same length. I know the 306 shaft is from a completely different 'box, but I might just be in luck!

th_Photo-0039.jpg

th_Photo-0040.jpg

th_Photo-0041.jpg

Due to the snow I think the conversion will take a bit longer, I doubt I'll be taking the engine out over the weekend if it stays like this!

Rob Turbo

Got a timing belt and oil filter today, ordered a water pump as well, bloody expensive parts for this engine, cost me £61.21 for the belt and oil filter, I was expecting half that!! The water pump is another £40 odd, good job it will probably not need another belt while I have it!

Rob Turbo

Got the engine out today!

th_Photo-0042.jpg

th_Photo-0043.jpg

Havn't had time to start pulling bits off yet, will probably do that tomorrow.

Rob Turbo

I decided to fit the spare gearbox that I got with the engine in the bay on it's own so I could modify the subframe before the car went to the garage, I marked where it would need cutting, took the box back out, chopped then bashed and it looks like it will clear now, but now for the next problem, with the gearbox on it's mount and a jack holding the other end in roughly the right place, the shafts don't fit, the subframe is in the way, so I've loosened the subframe bolts so it's dropped by about 10-15mm and they fit in but touch the subframe still, I'm not sure I want to be dropping the subframe even that much, nevermind another 5-10mm.

I'm not going to weld the subframe yet, I'll wait until I have the engine and box bolted in, then I can make some further adjustments before welding if needs be.

Photos to follow!

Rob Turbo

And here's the photos,

Before:

th_Photo-0044.jpg

th_Photo-0045.jpg

After:

th_Photo-0046.jpg

th_Photo-0047.jpg

I also cut a lip off on the passenger side, you can see it in the 2nd photo, although I didn't take a photo of it after I chopped it

I've started hacking away at the bulkhead for the hydraulic clutch but haven't got any photos and it's not done yet so I'll get some when it's finished. I took the gear selector out to fit the 406 cable shift one and it's going to need a bigger hole cutting in the floor or a different selector, the 406 one, along with everything else 406, is rather large!

I might see if I can get away with lifting the engine up a bit as well as lowering the subframe to give a bit more clearence for the inner cv joints.

Rob Turbo

Back to playing with the engine today, picked the water pump up after work, just finished fitting that and the timing belt, what a PITA the tensioner is, I'm glad I've got it over with, just got the covers to put back on now but didn't have the small sockets with me, I'll probably go back up later and put the covers on, and take the gearbox off while I'm there.

Rob Turbo

The rest of the bits were delivered today, except the bloke forgot to put the top engine mount in so I'm still waiting for that, should be here monday at the latest, which is a bit of a set back, there's not a lot more to do with the engine out now.

I still need to finish the clutch mount on the bulk head and fit the cable shift setup, I've been playing with the wiring a bit, got about everything I need labelled now, ready to connect up when the engine goes in.

Still haven't got round to pulling the turbo lump apart though so still don't know exactly what went wrong!

Rob Turbo

The clutch is nearly sorted, I've got the master cylinder mounted and I've taken the clutch pedal out to drill and tap to fit a ball joint, just need to get one to fit!

th_Photo-0052.jpg

It still needs tidying up and painting around where I cut and bashed the bulk head but that can wait!

Next on the to do list is the cable gear selector, nothing the angle grinder can't handle!

welshpug

from memory you may not need to cut much, if anything to fit the cable shift system, have a look at Hilgie's pics but I'm sure he used something like a 406 gear lever assembly and a C5 set of cables.

Rob Turbo

It's a bit different to the 205, in the 306 there's a 'bump' in the floor for the original gear lever to fit into, the problem is where the studs for the new cable selector box come through the floor is right on the curve for this 'bump', so it's not as simple as cut, drill, bolt in, although not a lot more complicated.

So far I've cut the top off this bump so the lever will fit though, next I'm going to cut right at the curve and fold it flat so there's enough space to get a nut on, awkward to explain, so here's the photo of step 1!

th_Photo-0054.jpg

Crap photo, but you can see what I'm getting at!

Rob Turbo

Started putting the 'box back on tongight, what a pain in the arse it really is!! Took a few attempts to get it all lined up with the clutch release arm on the bearing, finally got it all bolted together and the clutch arm felt odd, it's on bloody on the bearing right is it :rolleyes:

Rather than take the box back off straight away I'm going to try taking the pivot rod out slightly, use a screwdriver to turn the bearing, then slot it all back together, the worst that can happen is I'll drop something into the bell housing and not be able to get it back out without taking the box off, but the only other option is to take the box straight back off and mess around for another couple of hours trying to line it all up again, so I might as well attempt the easy route!

If I ever get another pug v6 engine or car I'm going to hold out for one with proof of a recent new clutch!!

Rob Turbo

Well after another hour in the garage trying to get the gearbox back on with the clutch release fork in the bearing without success I gave up, had a look in an XM haynes manual I have to see if it had anything about this type of clutch and it does, also found on the 2.1 TD XM, and I've been doing it all wrong :)

With the release bearing still being in the clutch cover when I removed it and it seemed fairly stuck in place I guessed that it should be put into the cover before fitting, like on the 306's with pull type clutches, not so!! You have to put the bearing on the input shaft and slot it into the fork, then when you put the box onto the engine it clicks into place with a circlip, that's why it stays on the cover when you take the box off! So now I'm going to have to dig the criclip back out and do it all again tomorrow, what a waste of a night!

Rob Turbo

Engine mount came today, I've just finished chopping it to fit the 306, It's not going to need any welding by the looks of things, it fits into the buffer mount thing snugly and there's still loads of meat left, I'll get some photos later.

I've been too busy with the mount to bother with the gearbox again, that can wait until tomorrow, should be trial fitting the engine soon, I break up from work on friday, so will be finishing at least half day, I'm not going to the works do, got much better things to do!!

Rob Turbo

Finally got the gearbox back on, with the clutch release arm/bearing fitted properly!

I took a couple of photos of the modified top mount but they're all blurry so I'll have to take some more at some point. I haven't done much more on the cable shift, only got as far as loosening the heat shield, need to drop the exhaust down to take it off to make the hole for the lever mount bigger, then refit it all, then the engine can go in for it's trial fitting, and hopefuly stay there! I can't see it needing to come out again, I don't think there's anything that will get in the way that can't be taken off to be modified then put back.

M@tt

Excellent work Rob

I'm always impressed with the speed of the progress of your projects :unsure: and your ability to work in the cold and the rain :lol:

Rob Turbo
Excellent work Rob

I'm always impressed with the speed of the progress of your projects :lol: and your ability to work in the cold and the rain :lol:

Why thank you!! :)

Finished work at 11am today, 2 weeks off to play cars! Went to get some bits from the motorfactors, driveshaft oil seals, pu7 sealent, some fuel hose connections and an alternator belt. They had everything in except for the belt, which they ordered and it came in at 3.30, turned out to be 5mm shorter than I wanted which meant I had to take the bottom pulley off to get the belt on but that's not such a big problem, one of the driveshaft oil seals is the wrong one as well, it's for a be3 gearbox, so that will be going back tomorrow, I've just been on service box to get the sizes of the right one to give them when I go down.

They didn't have the pu7 sealent but gave me something that's supposedly the same only white instead of black, I'm not too bothered about the colour, I'm only using it to fill the gaps in my new wishbone bushes and lower engine mount to give them a bit more strength! I've done the wishbone bushes, I'll do the bottom mount bush tomorrow.

The balljoints that I bought off ebay for the clutch pedal still haven't turned up so I went to a bearing place and bought a rose joint instead, which is now fitted, so I just need to test it then the engine can go in. Also bought a pair of bolts for the hubs where they clamp the ball joint and a set of bolts for the wishbones.

Also a "carbon fibre" air filter that I bought off ebay came today, and it's REALLY carbon fibre, I was expecting carbon effect plastic, nice surprise at £36.95 delivered! Also came with this little fan thing that supposedly pushes more air in the faster you go!! Errrm, yeah, that can stay in the box, it certainly won't be going near my car!

carbers205

Awesome work as usual mate. :)

Few more pics wouldnt go amiss though!

Andy

Rob Turbo

I don't really get chance to take pics during the week, it's always dark when I finish work, there was only today that it's been light when I finished work but I had places to go, so by the time I started on the car it was dark, don't worry, there will be more photos soon!

DaveW

Rob your so hardcore working in this weather and with great speed too..