• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

[engine_work] 306 Project

Rob Turbo

Just been on the phone to the bloke that does turbo rebuilds and he said he's never heard of what I described, usually if a turbo is going to smoke it will either do it at idle or all the time, not just after ticking over for a while once warm, he said he told me to check for oil around the turbine side of the turbo to see if it's the turbo that's leaking oil or if it's coming from somewhere else, he said it sounds more like a valve stem oil seal. He also said to use synthetic oil.

I'll wait until the weekend to take the turbo off and check for oil leakage, in the mean time I'll just not let it idle! He said he can send me another oil seal or if I send him the shaft he will fit one for me if I prefer.

I'm also going to find some way of blocking the boost pipes at the throttle body and the pipe from the turbo so I can attatch the compressor to check for leaks properly, this engine is starting to get right on my nerves!!

sonofsam

Just been on the phone to the bloke that does turbo rebuilds and he said he's never heard of what I described, usually if a turbo is going to smoke it will either do it at idle or all the time, not just after ticking over for a while once warm, he said he told me to check for oil around the turbine side of the turbo to see if it's the turbo that's leaking oil or if it's coming from somewhere else, he said it sounds more like a valve stem oil seal. He also said to use synthetic oil.

Rob, thats spooky you saying that, as I remember Inferno mentioning a while ago now, thats when His turbo smoked!

Also remember that when He called an expert, was recommended a stagger gap seal conversion on the Turbo,

something to do with not enough back pressure in the exhaust to hold oil in the turbo!? How true this is I wouldn't

like to comment, but mine has been fine with a straight through exhaust and standard Turbo.

Crazily enough the expert reccommended chicken wire in the DP as 'a quick fix' !

Here's hoping you can get it sorted :P

Rob Turbo

Well there's a simple test for that! I'll get it warmed up, stop and hold something over the exhaust, not so much that it blocks it, just causes a bit of pressure, if it still smokes, it's not that!!

If it does stop it smoking I'll put a cat in, I will need one for an mot anyhoo so if it stops it smoking as well I'll do it now!

Thanks for that, I'll let you know how I get on :P

Rob Turbo

I just took it for a quick drive, parked up and held a rag close to the exhaust and I could smell smoke but not see it, after waiting a minute or two I moved the rag and shortly after it started smoking, I put the rag back there and the smoke died down then started again almost as soon as I moved it, not exactly sure if it helped or not though :(

So new plan! I'm going to get some fine-ish mesh, put it over the exhaust tip and hold it there with a jubilee clip and leave it like that for a while to see if it smokes anymore.

The stagger gap seals aren't too expensive so I might go for one of them if it is the oil seal that's leaking.

Ho the joys of turbo ownership! :P

Rob Turbo

I tried the mesh over the exhaust and it didn't help, it deffo added back pressure though, made a hell of a difference to the ammount of popping and banging it does and you can feel the difference in pressure when you put your hand near the exhaust, never mind, on to the next check - remove the turbo and check for oil seapage!

I got my oil pressure gauge wired in, just a quick job on the wiring just to check the pressure, then disconected it until I have a pod for it, pressure was all good, around 95psi+ at tickover.

tom_m
He also said to use synthetic oil.

thats a defo on the synth, i'm running the xantia 2ltr turbo on 5w-40 fully synth and it loves it, i've never noticed a difference from an oil change before, but i woulds swear that changing it made it feel like a different engine :)

here's a thought, is the oil drain from teh turbo free and clear? maybe on the move its draining ok but at rest the turbo is filling up and oil is passing the seals? long shot probably...

Edited by tom_m

Rob Turbo

I'll check it when I take the turbo off, I'm sure I checked it when I had everything in bits though, but it won't hurt to make sure!

mwilcock

how much are these engines worth?

i will have a full car soon, so engine, loom and ecu is for sale and anything else u need.

so offers anyone? or spares for you rob?

sonofsam
thats a defo on the synth, i'm running the xantia 2ltr turbo on 5w-40 fully synth and it loves it, i've never noticed a difference from an oil change before, but i woulds swear that changing it made it feel like a different engine :)

I've done 7k, must be about time for an oil change B)

"He also said to use synthetic oil." - I just had to double check that, I didnt write that in my reply :)

tom_m
"He also said to use synthetic oil." - I just had to double check that, I didnt write that in my reply :)

but its there none the less :)

Rob Turbo

I exchanged the oil I bought the other day for some 5w 40 fully synthetic, that will be going in at the weekend.

I got a couple of deliveries today as well, a new boost gauge, which only proved that the old one was working fine, I've got a buyer for my old one though so not a total loss! And a spare turbo, only set me back £50 inc. delivery, only slight play side to side and none in and out but the seals are unknown, I only got it because it was cheap! I'll try it on at the weekend when I take the current one off to check over, if it turns out to be a smoker I'll rebuild it and keep it as a spare, possibly even get a bigger compressor wheel and housing for it! Either way it will come in handy!

mwilcock

sorry to keep hijackin this thread lol but 2 questions for u clever electrical people

the big brown relay on the 2.0 8v turbo lump (mines an xm) can u hear it switch over wen u turn key?

and inbetween the ecu and the dizze theres a plug that goes to something does any1 know wot this is? on mi diagram it ses injection suppressor, sum1 sed it mite a a coil pack??

thanks

Mike

M@tt

the suppressor is for the coil pack to stop interference.

Can't answer 1 i'm afraid as i havent got mine wired in yet but most realys can be heard to make a click when the connections are opened or closed

If you look on this thread below the black thing on the right is the suppressor(it should have a metal tag sticking out of it but mines bust off). The plug pictured goes into the coil pack which is situated on the end of the head where the dizzy is usually on other 8v's. Does yours not have a coil pack then?

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...p;hl=suppressor

do you mean theres a plug on the diagram between the ecu and the dizzy or do you mean physically in the engine bay? and what diagram do you have?

Edited by M@tt

mwilcock

rite then some good news at last, ive put live to pin 27 and the ecu has now operated the relay and im getting an injection pulse :D

however,

no spark, the thing im missing , 2 cables from the ecu go to this plug then 2 cables out to the plug for the dizzy?

2 things have been said, coil pack?? or a ignition amplifier? it also has an earth, so its a 5 pin plug, ive tried bridging it but to no avail

help!

sonofsam
I exchanged the oil I bought the other day for some 5w 40 fully synthetic, that will be going in at the weekend.

I got a couple of deliveries today as well, a new boost gauge, which only proved that the old one was working fine, I've got a buyer for my old one though so not a total loss! And a spare turbo, only set me back £50 inc. delivery, only slight play side to side and none in and out but the seals are unknown, I only got it because it was cheap! I'll try it on at the weekend when I take the current one off to check over, if it turns out to be a smoker I'll rebuild it and keep it as a spare, possibly even get a bigger compressor wheel and housing for it! Either way it will come in handy!

Sure will Rob, £50 isnt bad at all really.

M@tt

the plug is for the ignition amplifier

DSC00313.jpg

DSC00314.jpg

the other plug you mention being for the the dizzy isn't, it's the coilpack plug, you will need a coilpack. (i have the same XM lump as well)

DSC00260.jpg

Edited by M@tt

mwilcock

i think i love you, can i have you msn addy or ur number to put things into lamen terms lol thanku thanku thanku!!!!!

MIke

Rob Turbo

I started taking the turbo off today and found oil in the boost pipes so it looks like it's the compressor side that's leaking, I haven't checked the turbine side yet but suspect I've found the problem already!

I also found where my boost is going, the metal clip that holds the end on the intercooler is very rusty and has bent, letting the end of the intercooler move, making a gap along the side, leaking all of my precious boost out :)

I'm off to B&Q in a bit to get some supplies to fix the intercooler until I can get another one.

That's probably why the seals have gone, the turbo must have been proper giving it some just to make 4psi!!

tom_m
I started taking the turbo off today and found oil in the boost pipes so it looks like it's the compressor side that's leaking, I haven't checked the turbine side yet but suspect I've found the problem already!

oil in the boost pipes isn't necessarily the turbo its more likely to be from the breathers. the XM engine i got had this too.

Rob Turbo

I haven't got any breathers going into any of the intake pipes though, and all the pipes I'm using were cleaned before I fitted them.

I sorted the intercooler, 4 lengths of 6mm threaded rod, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom, with 2 on one side and 2 on the other, with bits of old bike tyre going around the edges onto the ends of the rod with nuts on the ends, tightened up to pull the intercooler together! Bodge I know, but it's better than leaking a load of boost and cheaper than buying a new intercooler!

Once I've got a bit more cash I'm going to invest in a new intercooler, one of the universal ones off ebay should do nicely!

Rob Turbo

Changed the oil, took it for a spin, let it tickover and guess what, NO SMOKE!!!!

So for anyone planning on doing a turbo conversion - use fully synthetic oil!

I thought now that the problems are sorted I can run a bit more boost, put the manual boost controller on and it won't go above 9psi :lol: looks like I need some better jubilee clips, some of them were tightening so far then slipping, so I was tightening them as much as I could without them slipping, hoping it would be enough, I think I'll get some of them mikalor supra clamps, they look the business!

In the mean time I'm going to turn the boost down a touch to make sure I don't strain the turbo too much.

danpug

Excellent news, how many psi do these normally run?

Rob Turbo

Standard is 9psi with an overboost of 12psi but can take upto 14psi before the ecu spits it's dummy!

mwilcock

how do you make it overboost?

Rob Turbo

The ecu decides when you should have the extra boost, it takes information from various sensors and hikes up the boost for a couple of seconds.

If you want to run more boost you need a manual boost controller (or an electronic boost controller if you're feeling flush!) in place of the boost solenoid but you need to make sure the fueling can keep up or it will end up going pop!