• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

[engine_work] 306 Project

Rob Turbo

Hoses came today, cheap AND fast delivery :)

I'll hopefuly be putting it all together at the weekend, I'll try to remember to take plenty photos!!

DaveW

Rob have you checked your hub carriers? they do tend to oval where the ball joint sits leading to dodgy handling!

M@tt

Rob got a link for them hoses? gonna need some myself soonish. Was it just a one off auction or is it a supplier?

Rob Turbo

On ebay, seller is called nicenewcar, they will have one listed, send them a message asking for X ammount inc. postage and they will give you a price and tell you to buy the one then adjust the invoice to the ammount they said before you pay, job jobbed!! They also have a website (www.nicenewcar.co.uk I think it was) but they work out at £40 odd for 5 inc. delivery.

As for the handling, I haven't checked the hubs recently but I did check them before the engine went in and they were fine, but I think I might be imagining the dodgy handling, my dad took it for a spin last night and said it felt fine to him! I'm going to sort all the rattles first (mainly exhaust) then see what it's like.

Rob Turbo

Got the turbo and intercooler on today, what a difference!! Boost starts to kick in at about 2.5k then by 3k you're pinned in the seat, if you are cruising along in 2nd or 3rd then plant your foot it lights up the front wheels, all at about 12psi! But guess what, yup, no photos!! I WILL get some of the bay as soon as I can, which shouldn't be that long because I need to change the radiator!

When I pulled the engine forward to get the turbo in the alternator hit the top rad hose and it's cracked the radiator, I took it off and tried to melt the crack back together then melted some cable ties over it but it's still got a bit of a leak, it will do for now though, I'll just have to keep an eye on it and keep a bottle of water in the car.

I really need some better mounts though, the ones that are in are far too soft and the engine moves about too much, I'm just waiting for the email from BBM to let me know when the 306 mounts are in stock.

I didn't put another lambda bung in the exhaust, if I had the car still wouldn't be finished, I was putting it back together in the dark as it was!

If anyone has a radiator kicking about for an XM, the type that the pipes just slip on, not them clip things, could you drop me a PM or reply here.

Sloppy

looks like it neary finished then chief, cant wait to see pics. :ph34r:

M@tt

got the XM radiator from mine that i'm not going to be using if you want it mate, i'll get some pics tonight so you can be sure its the type you want

Edited by M@tt

Rob Turbo

I've decided not to go for any more power now, it's struggling to get the power down as it is and a LSD is out of the question!

Instead I'm just going to tidy the bay up, the wiring is still a bit of a mess and I'm going to find a way to plumb in the oil heat exchanger. I'll wire up the air/fuel gauge and switchable boost doobie. I'm going to get the uprated engine mounts when BBM have some available, then I'm going to get a decent set of tyres and a lower strut brace, I don't think there's much chance of getting an upper one on though!

Then it's just a case of keeping it roadworthy (and getting a cat for the mot!)

I'm wanting to get it rolling roaded, when I find somewhere and get it done I'll get the graph scaned in and posted up here.

Rob Turbo

I got it booked in for a power run on a rolling road this saturday so we'll soon see what it's knocking out!!!

Rob Turbo

Just got back from the rolling road, it made 174.4hp @ wheels, 198.8hp @ fly (195.4hp corrected) and 205lbs/ft torque, I'm quite happy with that! :)

danpug

Nice result rob.

welshpug

That'll be quite rapid! what gearbox did you use in the end?

Any graphs?

Rob Turbo

I'm using a 306 TD 'box, it's quite well suited to the engine.

I've got the graph, I just need to scan it in and get it posted, I'm off to get some photo's of the bay while I finish off the switchable boost so the long awaited photos of my messy bay will be here shortly!

Rob Turbo

Got the switchable boost sorted and got the fan on, just with cable ties but it'll do for now!

And here's a couple of pics of the bay

SP_A0321.jpg

SP_A0320.jpg

I'll get the RR graph scaned in later on my dad's pc and get that posted as well.

Rob Turbo

And here's the graph, I just took a photo instead of turning my dad's pc on, it takes ages!!

SP_A0323.jpg

welshpug

bloody ell!!! over 200 lbfts ;) did it have the AFR measured or just a straightforward power run?

be interesting to see what was happening in the middle there, I remember seeing Discostu's session and that went a tad lean just about there, seems to hold on well above 6k instead of dying though.

Rob Turbo

It was just a straight forward power run, the bloke said if I ever do any more work on it and go back for another run (or if they do some work on it), they can put the data from this run on the new graph to compare results, although I presume any RR could do this as long as you keep going to the same one!

I accidentaly wound the boost up to about 20psi when I fitted the switchable boost, I plumbed it up wrong at first and wondered why the boost had dropped and tried to turn it back up, when I figured out what was wrong I forgot to turn the boost back down, oddly enough the ecu didn't cut the spark either, it just went for it, now that was quick! I doubt that it would last very long at all like that though!

sunil_2.0Fiesta

That will be well nice when its finished

mwilcock

i think you'd laugh if you saw my engine bay :lol:

mikebullock84

nice work rob, just read every post in this topic, tidy job, fair play you know your peugeot wiring! thought you were going to use a 205 gti airbox from the front lights, that would prob finish it off! bet its a real sleeper being a 5door etc!

Edited by mikebullock84

Rob Turbo

I am going to use a 205 gti air box but have to get a couple of bits sorted first (need to get some piping made up etc..)

Rob Turbo

I've finaly found a 306 8v xsi cam to drop in, should be coming on tuesday/wednesday, apparently almost exactly the same as a DKZ cam, does anyone have any experience of using this cam in an 8v turbo? I've only really found posts with people saying to get one, not saying what they're like, am I going to notice a difference?

I REALLY need some better engine mounts, there's some odd knocking and banging noises coming from the front of the car on bumps (and the road from my house to the main road is very bumpy thanks to the cack handed workmen, I could have done a better job of the road myself ;) ), the problem is, there's so much that it could be that I want to change the bits that I want to change anyway first, if that makes sense! I'm not sure if it's the engine hitting the shell, the shockers bottoming out, a knackard bush or something else, I'm fairly certain it's not a wishbone bush or droplink, the wishbones and droplinks were new about 100-200 miles before the engine went in, the shockers are 306 xsi jobbies, I bought them second hand and used them with the 1.4 engine in and they were fine then, then when I put the turbo engine in I fitted new (-30mm) springs. It could well be the turbo hitting the bulkhead, it is rather close!

I'm planning on sorting the exhaust tomorrow, the downpipe needs lengthening a bit so it stops rattling on the gear lever, while I'm at it I'll fit the lambda sensor for the air/fuel gauge, then see how far I can wind the boost up!!

The switchable boost is coming off, I'm getting 40 miles on £10 of petrol no matter what boost I run, so I'm gonna run high boost al the time, I might as well have fun while I burn my wages!!

I've been eyeing up strut braces as well, mainly the lower brace, but at around £85 for the pair I think I'll go for both!

mwilcock

hi rob,

have you got any idea how to test wether the ignition module is fecked ?

thanks

Rob Turbo
hi rob,

have you got any idea how to test wether the ignition module is fecked ?

thanks

Try another one? Or try yours on another car?

I borrowed a gtech pro today to attempt 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, I got 0-60 in 6.61 seconds and 1/4 mile in 15.48 @ 101.2mph (private road obviously!), both were done 2 up with lots of wheelspin, must get some better tyres, I'm thinking either proxes4 or gsd3's, but the list of bit's I want/need is building up and I'm not sure what to go for first!

mwilcock

i aint payin another 28quid, ive seen a ignition module tester on the bay for 20quid its a draper one, but any good mechanic should have one of these, well you'd think so anyhow.

what size wheels you got on? and is your revs/speedo working? ever since i wired mine back into the xm loom the bloody things not started