• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

[engine_work] 306 Project

mwilcock

seeing as ive been blabbin about mine for a while i thought id get a pic of my engine bay up lol

and these are what wheels i have on mine rob, altho, 17s kinda destroy diffs

DSC00498.jpg

just noticed the dturbo badges, think ill have to take them off, or maybe leave them on , sleeper :)

DSC00426.jpg

Edited by mwilcock

carbers205

Rob which cam is in it at the mo?

The xsi cam is lazy as hell which is why ive gone for the 1.9gti cam. (though im n/a)

How does duration and lift affect a turbo engine?

Edited by carbers205

Rob Turbo

It's got a standard turbo cam in at the minute, apparently the best cam for the turbo engine is from a DKZ engine, the next best thing is one from an xsi (RFX engine) because they are almost exactly the same as the DKZ, the 1.9 non-cat cam has too much overlap for a turbo engine really, meaning a lot of boost will be blown straight out of the exhaust.

Rob Turbo

The exhaust is now sorted! It feels so much better to drive without the gear lever jamming against the exhaust! I got the second lambda in as well, so have the air/fuel gauge working, just need to add the switched live for the heater part of it, it takes a while to start reading properly without it.

I bought a pair of strut braces off ebay last night but I'll need to sort the intake pipework before the upper one will fit I think.

Next weekend's plan is to fit the lower brace and trial fit the upper one so I can see my options for the intake, get the car up on ramps or jack it right up to jetwash under the car then seal it, not sure what I'm going to use just yet though, possibly fit the xsi cam, providing it comes when I've been told it will and I have the right shims for it (I'll have 3 sets when the cam comes so should be able to sort something out!)

I might even give it a wash (will be the 2nd wash the car has had since I bought it!) and see how many of the scratches I can buff out!

carbers205

Ah right that makes sense. Its a shame I didnt know you were looking for an RFX cos having swapped to D6B Ive got a shiny 65k RFX sitting doing nothing!

mwilcock

im presumin youve bought a wideband sensor?

Rob Turbo
Ah right that makes sense. Its a shame I didnt know you were looking for an RFX cos having swapped to D6B Ive got a shiny 65k RFX sitting doing nothing!

How much would you be wanting for the cam?

The one I bought turned up today and it's covered in rust, I'm not sure if it will be useable, the bearings are ok but the lobes are rusty, some bits worse than others and the bits that are worse I'm not sure are useable! I'm gonna try the polisher on it tomorrow, hopefuly will take the rust off and it won't be pitted underneath, but I doubt it very much! :(

Rob Turbo

The cam didn't turn out too bad after a polish, there's a couple of pitting marks but I doubt they will cause any problems, dunno when I'll be fitting it though! I've been ill the last few days so haven't been doing anything, the braces came earlier in the week and I've just finished fitting the lower brace, I had to modify it (hit it with a hammer) a bit because it hit the lower engine mount with it being extended, but it's all on and ready for a test drive! I held the upper brace in place to see what the clearence will be like and it's not going to fit as-is, there's only one way I can see to route the intake pipe and it's gonna be tight, there may well be a 306 upper strut brace up for sale soon, hopefuly not though!

Rob Turbo

The fueling ecu is the main ecu, that also controls everything else to do with the engine, the only other ecu's in the xm I broke were the abs and the suspension

mwilcock

have you got any pics of your extened bottom mount please? and a few pics see how youve ran your fmic and if youve got one the oil cooler?

thanks

mike

Edited by mwilcock

Rob Turbo

I don't have any photos of the extended bottom mount but it's basically the fork bit cut, 15mm added, then welded! The only photos I have of the bay are in this thread somewhere, they don't really show the boost pipes very well but they both go down, out to the sides, forwards past the side of the rad then back in towards the intercooler. I don't have an oil cooler either, the standard heat exchanger is still on the block and I'll be plumbing that into the radiator/bottom hose when I get my new rad, I won't be making any special pipes/fittings for it because I'm using the standard rad from the turbo engine which already has the fittings for it.

I will probably be lurking under the bonnet this weekend so I'll try to remember to take some photos.

My uprated engine mounts from BBM came the other day, I've got the drivers side mount fitted and I'll be fitting the gearbox mount at the weekend, the lower strut brace needs modding a bit more because the lower mount is still hitting it, I think I'll bend the drivers side a bit more so it comes further down then straighten the passenger side to keep it the right length!

I've also been getting a snap off steering wheel adaptor and a pair of braided brake hoses for the front (both came today but nobody was in so I have to pick them up tomorrow!) so I'll be fitting them at the weekend, and hopefuly I'll be fitting the xsi cam!

Not much to do this weekend then eh? :ph34r:

DaveW

Would a strut brace be any good on a 306? the strut tops are very close the bulkhead but let us know how the lower one goes..

Rob Turbo

The lower one has made quite a difference to the handling! I'm very impressed, will be a while before I get the upper one fitted, I can't really afford the bits to re-make the inlet pipe yet!

DaveW

meh it can wait, how low is yours then?

Rob Turbo

The front has -30mm springs, the rear is far too low! I thought the beam was standard height when I got it so I just put it back together as it came apart, when I put it on the car it sat on it's arse! I'll get around to raising it a bit soon, honest!!!

I got the snap off adaptor today, got it fitted but the steering wheel sits too far out now (about 30-40mm too far!) so I'm gonna modify the boss a bit, either cut and weld it or take the steel bit off the bit that fits onto the column and make an aluminium spacer/adaptor thing!

I got the braided hoses as well but I'm not too impressed, all the braided hoses I've had have had a threaded bit that you put through the mounting hole on the inner wing then put a nut on, on the photo of them (that I saw before I bought them) had this threaded bit with a nut, the ones that came don't! By the looks of them they will slip straight through the hole. I've sent the lad that I got them off a message but haven't heard back yet.

Looks like I won't be working on the car this weekend, I NEED a garage!! (donations welcome :) )

Rob Turbo

Got the gearbox mount on and put a spacer on the top engine mount to lift the engine by about 5-10mm instead of modifying the lower brace and it's all good, a bit more vibration than with standard mounts but a big thumbs up to stew205, aka BBM :rolleyes:

I've been thinking about the routing for the air intake and though about using 2.5" cold air feed type pipe between the turbo and the air filter, but after asking the bloke on ebay that sells it he said it's no good for that but hasn't yet told me why! Can anyone see a problem with using it like that? It won't be going directly to the turbo, I'd be using the rubber elbow that's used as standard straight onto the turbo, with a bit of 2.5" stainless pipe with a bit of a bend at the end, then the cold air feed pipe on that, going across the back of the head, down towards the front of the engine, then into the air filter box behind the passenger headlight. The pipe is made from (quoted from the advert on ebay) "one layer of glass fabric, neoprene coated, steel wire reinforced, temp: -55 upto +125 degrees C", so I don't really see why I couldn't use it!!

craig f90
Got the gearbox mount on and put a spacer on the top engine mount to lift the engine by about 5-10mm instead of modifying the lower brace and it's all good, a bit more vibration than with standard mounts but a big thumbs up to stew205, aka BBM :wacko:

I've been thinking about the routing for the air intake and though about using 2.5" cold air feed type pipe between the turbo and the air filter, but after asking the bloke on ebay that sells it he said it's no good for that but hasn't yet told me why! Can anyone see a problem with using it like that? It won't be going directly to the turbo, I'd be using the rubber elbow that's used as standard straight onto the turbo, with a bit of 2.5" stainless pipe with a bit of a bend at the end, then the cold air feed pipe on that, going across the back of the head, down towards the front of the engine, then into the air filter box behind the passenger headlight. The pipe is made from (quoted from the advert on ebay) "one layer of glass fabric, neoprene coated, steel wire reinforced, temp: -55 upto +125 degrees C", so I don't really see why I couldn't use it!!

A mate also said this to me when i was doing mine. dont use that he said, the turbo may make it collapse.

I dont know if it would? i bought alloy pipes in the end.

Rob Turbo

Took me a while to find this post, didn't realise there was a new section!

I'm gonna make a pipe up then to be on the safe side, probably stainless, that's what all the other pipes in the bay are.

It turns out that the braided hoses that I got DO have the correct ends on them, still not the ones that were in the photo that I was shown though, they are exactly the same as the standard ends, so you use the standard clip instead of bolting them on! I went to fit them but found that the pipe fitting on the copper line is an odd size, too big for a 10mm spanner and too small for an 11mm spanner, is there such a thing as a 13/32" spanner? :blink: I suppose I could use the mole grips to take loosen it then cut the flare off and fit a new union, not sure if I can be arsed though!!

mwilcock

rob, dyu reckon i could fit a 205 rad instead of the 306 rad as its rather large and ive got no room for intercooler piping

thanks

Rob Turbo

Dunno, I've never tried it!

mwilcock

which rad u got in urs?

Rob Turbo

XM turbo radiator!

Are you fitting this engine into a 205 or 306? if it's a 306 then a 2.0 8v turbo rad will fit in and you can fit 2.5" silicon hose past at both sides, you will need to trim the front panel a bit but it's an easy job, if you're doing it in a 205 you won't get anything past the radiator at the sides and the 2.0 8v turbo rad won't even fit in the bay.

mwilcock

yeh its going in a 306.

i was going to use original dturbo rad and come under the bottom slam panel with intercooler pipes, but your idea seems better and easier lol

any chance of a pic? and can u get me a list of the pipes u used

thanks

Rob Turbo

Had I have thought I could have taken some photos today while I had everything out, but you don't need photos, its really simple, 2 90 degree bends on either side of the intercooler, the first ones take the point into the bay, the second 2 point towards eachother, so wrap around the radiator, then on the passenger side you have a straight pipe then another 90 degree bend onto the ally boost pipe that comes off the turbo, on the drivers side you need a 90 degree bend coming off the throttle body, and a 45 or 90 degree bend to conect to the pipes coming off the intercooler.

Been a while since I did any messing with the 306 but it's due an mot at the end of the month so thought I'd better get a cat on, went down the shed and dug one out (was in a bin next to the shed, must have been off the xm turbo I broke a couple of years ago, either that or a vauxhall from many moons ago!!) took the small section out of the exhaust that I put there for this very reason, cut a couple of bits of 2.5" stainless pipe and welded them onto the cat, then slotted it into the exhaust, it needed to be at a bit of an angle so it didn't hit the bottom of the car, took it for a test run and I can't wait to get it back off, I get more lag and not as much of a kick when I press the loud pedal, it's stopped banging now and then but still knocks out little pops but nowhere near as impressive as before, on the plus side, it's not as loud!

Now I'd had my head under the bonet I was ready for a couple of jobs I've been putting off, 1st off, I raised the back of the bonet to aid cooling, in this hot weather the temps have been getting quite high, so got a lenght of box section, cut 2 bits off long enough to cover both bolt holes, marked them and drilled them then put them between the hinges and the bonet with longer bolts, job jobbed, now to replace the radiator that I cracked months ago with the replacement from All Praise The GTI off here, and this is where the problems started!! The radiator is a slightly different design to the one I was taking off, it's slightly chunkier and the fins are more open so will allow better air flow, only problem with the chunkyness, it's a bit wider, so the boost pipes don't fit past either side properly, so I just forced them past, I'll squash them a bit I think, won't take much I don't think! Got it all plumbed back in, filled it up with water, fired it up to bleed it and add coolant, after a minute or so of topping up I notice water dripping, thought it must just be from when I took the old rad off so carry on, and so does the dripping, after a closer look, theres a crack in the end of the radiator, just under a mounting tab, must have took a bash in the post or something.

I think I'll just chuck some radweld in, I can't be arsed trying to find another radiator, it took long enough finding one with the right ends to start with! Either that or take it back off and poke it with a soldering iron and hope for the best! I need to fix it sharpish though, I need it for work!