• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

[engine_work] 306 Project

mwilcock

and how to i increase the fuel?

welshpug sed i can get it remapped and put a cosworth 21psi map sensor in to let it run more than 14psi tho

Rob Turbo

I'm using an adjustable pressure regulator to sort the fueling for now, I've never really looked into changing the map sensor but have heard it can be remapped, although I don't know where will do it or how much it will cost.

danpug

What bar is the map sensor rated for?

M@tt

so was your original turbo knackered from the leaking boost? did you have to change it with the other one you got?

Rob Turbo

Nope, it's still the original turbo, I just changed the oil and it's fine!!

So now I can play silly buggers with the spare turbo and build something nice :)

Mikey S
What bar is the map sensor rated for?

2 bar, 1 bar atmospheric, 1 bar above.

Rob Turbo

And the smoke's back :D

Started first thing this morning when I got to work and was sitting waiting for the boss to turn up, same thing as before, sitting for about a minute at the very most and a huge cloud of smoke puffs out of the exhaust and has done it every time I let it idle for a bit since, even though yesterday it was fine all day, I could leave it ticking over for ages with no problem at all.

That and I'm only getting about 30-40 miles for a tenner, I'm getting rather sick of this engine.

carbers205

Lol Rob, you know how this game works, you build what you think is gonna be an awesome engine and a combination of stupid little things mount up and piss you right off!

Stick with it though mate, you clearly know your way round the engine and have made good progress thus far. A solution will show up, you may just need a couple of days away from it to refresh yourself!

Andy

Rob Turbo

I've taken the adjustable fuel pressure regulator off and put a standard one back on, it's stopped popping and banging as much so it was probably over fueling before, even though I set the pressure to just under 3bar with the vacumn pipe off, which is slightly less than what it should be, I'll wait until everything is sorted first then get it set up on a rolling road.

I'm going to order a set of new oil seals and bearings for the spare turbo and look into my options for building a hybrid.

Rob Turbo

The oil burning has stopped again! I haven't done anything, it's just stopped! Maybe it was some crap under the oil seal, or possibly old oil that's still in the engine going through the turbo? My mikalor supra clamps came today, plenty clamping power in them! Still need either some smaller clamps or good quality jubilee clips for the turbo outlet, IIRC they were the worst 2 for slipping.

Got myself a twin A pillar gauge pod as well, that came yesterday, I've got it in, with oil pressure gauge and air/fuel ratio gauge in but not fully wired in, just the switched live to connect and I need to take the down pipe off to weld another lambda boss in for the air/fuel gauge but that can wait for now!

Been looking at my options for turbo bits, I think I'm going to go for a bigger compressor wheel in an A/R 80 housing, with new bearings and seals, and a stagger gap seal on the turbine side. I need to take the spare turbo apart first though to check it's all good inside, will be a waste of money putting them on a duff turbo, if the innards have had it (I think they will be all good though, feels ok!) I'll still get the bits but put them on the turbo that's in the car.

Rob Turbo

Ordered the turbo bits for the turbo today, I've decided not to rebuild and upgrade the spare turbo when I can just upgrade the turbo that I already rebuilt, why spend more money than I need to eh? I've ordered the upgraded wheel, A/R80 housing, a new compressor oil seal and a stagger gap turbine oil seal :D

I'm not sure what to do while I upgrade the turbo though, either take the car off the road, put the spare turbo on or blank the spare turbo's exhaust housing off and use it without turbo power, like I did with the 205 when the turbo packed in, until I took it off the road for the 16v conversion that I never finished! The upgrade will take about a week, only because getting the shaft balanced takes a week!

I have a spare turbo manifold that I was thinking about modifying to the standard t25/t28 flange, I've been looking at the turbo housing and it looks like it shouldn't be that hard at all, I have a turbo manifold from a rover that I can use as a guide, I very much doubt that I'll be using it, so if it works it may well be up for sale soon if anyone's interested?

I'm also going to start putting some cash to one side to start building a 16v turbo engine, so I'll be on the lookout for an xm turbo engine (flat pistons) and a 16v head, I'd prefer a 306/406 head, not the mi/s16 type head, not sure what management I'll be using but it's a long way off yet so plenty time to decide!

mwilcock

what bracket did u use for mounting the alternator and power steering?

was gona get more on mine done today but bloody rain!

And what have you done about insurance, have you declared the engine? how much?

Rob Turbo

I don't have power steering, if I did I would have taken it off!

I'm using a bracket off a 306 td engine with a home made tensioner.

Insurance went up by £80, that was from no mods to everything I've done inc. engine

benje

ROb,

Interesting project, but I have a few questions regarding the rebuilding of a turbo.

Am I right in thinking you are rebuilding it yourself? How will you go about balancing it all once done?

Cheers

Ben

Rob Turbo

I'm sending the bit's off to be balanced, when they come back you mark them up so you can line them up again once it's in the core, this only needs to be done if you're changing the shaft, comp wheel, nut or thrust collar, if you're only changing bearings and seals you can mark the turbo up before you take it apart and put it back together exactly as it was before, this way you don't effect the balancing.

mwilcock

which insurance r u with

Rob Turbo

It's now running with the turbo off, and STILL smoking! Did a compression test, all around 140psi, so looks like I'll be ordering some valve stem oil seals!

Sloppy

it goes on and on, been rther unlucky.

Im sure you will have it sorted soon thopugh chief.

Rob Turbo

More problems!!!

First, the gear lever is getting very stiff, but only now and again and clears up by itself, I've checked to make sure there's nothing tangled up in the linkage and it seems fine, all I can think is the lever catching on the exhaust, I'm going to be taking the downpipe off at the weekend hopefuly (when I put the turbo back on) to weld another lambda boss in so I think I'll extend it a bit so it sits further down.

Second problem, the handling doesn't seem quite right, I can't really explain it, it feels a bit random!! I'll check over all the ball joints etc. as soon as I can, there's no knocking or anything though.

And third, it's bloody loud and embarassing with the turbo off! The turbo deffinitely works as a silencer!

I got some new payen valve stem oil seals today as well, they came with a couple of little plastic fitting doobies so you can slide them over the notches that the collets sit in without damaging the seal! So that's my weekend sorted, weather permitting of course, it's been bloody snowing again!

Rob Turbo

This little beauty came today (not exactly little though!)

SP_A0312.jpg

No more leaky intercooler me thinks! Will fit in just nice, I'll need to trim a bit of the front panel down to make some room for the boost pipes though.

Does anyone know of a cheap place to get 2.5" (63mm) 90 degree silicone hoses from?

I'm still waiting for the turbo upgrade bits to come, I've been told they were sent today via 'special delivery' so I'll have them before 1pm tomorrow, so I can get cracking with the machining of the core at the weekend, but it will be at least next weekend before I can start putting the turbo back on! I'm off to see a bloke about getting an expansion tank made as well, so it all fits together better without ramdom joins in the pipes! I'm going to price up some boost pipes as well while I'm there, but I've got a feeling it's not going to be cheap, and I still need a new monitor, the crack in this one is getting rather annoying now!

I'm going to see about taking a few days off work as well, probably when I get the turbo back together so I can take the car off the road for a while to change the valve stem oil seals, fit the turbo and intercooler, add a lambda boss to the exhaust, wire up the boost switch and air/fuel gauge, fix whatever problems I find between now and then etc.. :wacko:

sonofsam

Rob that looks exactly like the I/C I started off with, it's a beast !

Cheapest place found at the time for silicon elbows for me was either Forgemotorsport or ebay shop Auto-Performance-Silicone-Hoses,

still not cheap though ! unless you can buy SH off the bay?

Rob Turbo

The cheapest I've found is £9.50 each +p&p on ebay, looks like that's where I'll be getting them then!

Look what came today!!

SP_A0316.jpg

SP_A0315.jpg

And the wheel, new on left, old on right,

SP_A0314.jpg

My dad will be machining the core, then once he's done with the wheel the bits will be getting sent off to be balanced. Although I've been reading up about balancing and apparently turbos are balanced in 2 different ways, first being all as one bit (shaft, thrust collar, compressor wheel and nut) and the second being all done seperately, you can tell which way they have been balanced by where material has been removed, if the nut has a bit missing it's been balanced as one bit, but if the shaft (turbine wheel) and compressor wheel both have bit's machined out then it's all been balanced seperately, this is the way most modern turbos are balanced apparently, and getting them balanced as a whole isn't worth doing. I've noticed that almost all turbos I've taken apart have had bit's machined out of both wheels and wondered why, seems that people that say you MUST get it balanced are either mis-informed or (know someone that) balances them. I'm not 100% sure myself and I'm not sure I want to risk my turbo vibrating itself into my engine. I suppose I could take photos of the wheels before I send them, then check to see exactly what's been done when they come back!

Rob Turbo

I've ordered some 2.5" 90 degree silicon hoses from the bay of E for a nice price of £33 delivered for 5, unbeatable!!!

I spent most of yesterday making an adaptor for the turbo outlet, it's not quite finished in these photos, it still needed a bit trimming off the pipe.

SP_A0318.jpg

SP_A0317.jpg

So I will hopefuly be putting the turbo back on at the weekend, I can't wait!!

sonofsam

£33 delivered for 5! Jeez, you can pay that for 1 if you try hard enough,lol

Be nice to see some pics of the bay Rob :D and for you to give it some booost! :lol: