• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

[engine_work] 306 Project

Rob Turbo

That cd sound's useful, but will more than likely have the same info that autodata has, I'd still like to have a look though, you never know, autodata has been known to lie about wiring!

Rob Turbo

Just put the new battery on, it turns over better, but still the same problem :P

Rob Turbo

Had an idea today, rewired it, used crimps instead of solder this time, and guess what, yup, exactly the same.

I'm all out of ideas that don't cost loads, and seeing as I don't have a load, the other ideas are out of the question, so that's it, game over, it's going to sit and rot until I either get an offer for it, the value of scrap goes up, or I somehow end up with loads of cash to throw at it.

M@tt

can you not get your cash back for the ecu you bought off jackherer and then send yours off and get it definitely unlocked by the ecudoctor?

Rob Turbo

TBH I can't be bothered with the hassle anymore. A v6 306 seemed like a good idea at the time :wub:

Rob Turbo

Been talking to hilgie, he told me the ecu doesn't have a code stored in it, the code is stored in the immobiliser control box, so the key only has to match that, if it does, it sends an "open" signal to the ecu, so when I tried unlocking my original ecu it wouldn't have worked because my transponder was in, not the one that matches the immobiliser control box. He said he's unlocked several ecu's like this.

That doesn't really put me any further ahead though, unless I've been lied to about the ecu I bought being unlocked, and I don't have access to the 406 v6 I tried unlocking my ecu on last time anymore, so can't even try unlocking the original ecu again. Just thought I'd post that here incase it's of use to anyone else attempting this, my 306 is half stripped now, most parts will be kept for my next car, a couple of bits might find their way to the for sale section though.

jplautomotive

i havent read this whole thread , but the transponder code is stored in both the engine ecu and transponder ecu

if they dont match it wont unlock ! even if it the right key for transpoder ecu

ps :how much you want for the 306 ?

Edited by jplautomotive

Rob Turbo

£3k!

I've got too much in it to sell it really, that's why it's being broken and most bits are being kept, I mean who's gonna give me even £1k for it, it's a half finished non-runner!

jplautomotive

ok bit much for me ,

have you had a reader on it yet ? iirc i dont think the pump will pump if ecu locked

jplautomotive

just been readin your post on what you checked , have you checked batt perminant on pin 18 of ecu ?

jonny

Rob Turbo

This weekend will now be spent putting the car back together! After talking to hilgie about the wiring he says it deffo sounds like a locked ecu, and as I said earlier, apparently the ecu can be unlocked with someone elses key and immobiliser, I'm not interested if anyone wants to say this won't work, I'll soon enough find out for myself one way or another, there's so many different opinions and "facts" floating about and only one way for me to know for sure, so I'm off to track down a 406 v6 to have another go at unlocking it.

If it still doesn't work, my dad has offered me £200 to get everything to mod my megasquirt to run a v6 and all the bits to make a loom for it, which is nice! He said he can't let me get this far then abandon it!

welshpug

that's the spirit!!! keep at it Rob <_<

calvinhorse

stick to it buddy, this tread is brilliant im an avid follower! im using an aftermarket ecu on mine.

you should give it some thought, you can instantly extract loads more power but at a cost!

danpug

Please post up if you get it unlocked and exactly how. I've spoken to somebody about these ecu's and it sounds like mine is probably locked too! Is there anybody that unlocks them like the xu16v ecu's?

Rob Turbo

Just been and collected these

th_Photo-0044-1.jpg

Will be getting fitted with some xantia v6 discs. Just need some spacers now!

Still haven't got it running though, I might take the engine out to weld the plate in the bulkhead for the clutch tomorrow, then I can put everything back together and wait to get it fired up. It will be frustrating if I get it fired up now and can't drive it because of the clutch!

hexhamstu

glad your back into this again!!

Goliath

I am soooooo glad you are seeing this through, It will be better on the megasquirt so all will be good. It sounds like if mine isnt unocked I am going to have to pay a good £250 to get it unlocked!

Keep at it!

Rob Turbo

I'm not starting to build the megasquirt loom just yet, I'm still holding out to see if I can get it running on standard management, so if you're up this way any time before it's running (or even after it's running if I still have the original loom in place) I'll stick your ecu on and see what happens.

Trial fitted the brembos today, didn't have any long enough bolts to hold the wheels in place with a 20mm gap (spacers made from camshaft bearing caps!!) so I had to try holding the wheel in place, balanced on my foot, with my hands through the spokes holding the "spacers", didn't really work! so I'm just going to get the 20mm spacers, if it's not enough, it can't be far off, so I'll just add some thinner ones over the top!

th_Photo-0045-1.jpg

Also raised the suspension by an inch, only done the drivers side so far, I'll do the passenger side when I fit the brakes.

Rob Turbo

Thought I'd update this a bit, the standard management is heading for the bin, I've not attempted anything else with it, just decided there's no point carrying on with it, seeing as I'll be going for megasquirt at some point anyway, I might as well do it right from the off!

The megasquirt is nearly ready to run a 6 cylinder engine, the extra coil driver is mounted in the case, and all the points on the board are ready to be hooked up, I just need to add the 3 wires. I'm not going to make a new loom, I'm going to modify the loom I made for the turbo engine, it will just need the extra coil wire running through it, the coil plug will need extending, the injector wires will need extending then I'll need to split them into 2 sets of 3, rather than 2 pairs like they are now, then I think most of the other bits will need shortening or just moving, not a problem at all though, I built the loom to start with so modifying isn't going to be a problem!!

I've got some high temp red paint for the brembos (and rear calipers), probably be starting to prep them tomorrow and hopefully have them painted over the weekend.

The engine still won't be coming out (for the bulkhead work) any time soon, the road is still covered in thick ice :P

Rob Turbo

First caliper is nearly finished, just needs a bit more lacquer in places.

th_Photo-0049.jpg

The other caliper is ready for paint, but my spray booth (cardboard box in my mam's greenhouse!) isn't big enough for two calipers, so it will have to wait. I've taken the stainless pad guides or whatever they are off and cleaned them up, need new bolts for them, most of them just rounded off when I tried to undo them. I'm off to B&Q to see if they have any stainless M6 button head allen bolts, hopefully they'll have something I can use, if not, ebay it is!

Rob Turbo

Both brembo's are now finished, just need fitting when I get some spacers, I've started on the rears now, I did intend on painting the spare ones I had, but could only find one, so I made a start on that, then picked up another caliper off M_R_205, who kindly met me at a motorway services, that's now half cleaned up, just covered the remaining paint on it in brake fluid to make it easier to clean off!

I've also got the standard loom off the engine and started altering the megasquirt loom to fit, which isn't going to be much trouble.

The snow is almost all gone now, so hopefully I'll be able to get the engine out next weekend for the welding to be done, I think I'm gonna have to take the engine right out and get the gearbox off to count which tooth is at the CAS when no.1 cylinder is at TDC for megasquirt, which is gonna be a right pain in the arse.

danpug

Do you have any idea of the likely power figures when using aftermarket management?

Rob Turbo

I'd guess at around 210bhp, with no cat, a good cold air feed and a decent map, once I've got it up and running I'll see about getting it on the rollers to see what it's making.

danpug

When the pug10ff 205 v6 was in one of the chav mags they claimed it was 240bhp iirc, it was the later engine though. I'm just contemplating chucking mine on an emerald.

Rob Turbo

Quick update.

The loom is more or less finished, just needs a bit more tape to tidy it up. I set no.1 cylinder to TDC and put some paint through the CAS hole, then took the starter off and counted teeth through the hole, for anyone that's interested, when no.1 is at TDC, tooth 16 is at the CAS. I've finished modifying the megasquirt, put all the toothed wheel settings in, altered the other settings needed to go from 4 cylinders to 6, quickly knocked up a fuel table and set the spark table to all 10 degrees advance.

Plugged it all in, except for the IAT and lambda sensor, and IT FIRED FIRST TIME!!! :)

My dad tried recording it but it's too dark to see, you can hear it though, doesn't half sound monsterous with just a downpipe fitted!

So just need the clutch sorting then put it all back together now, can't wait!!