• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

[engine_work] 306 Project

danpug

Awesome Rob!

Rob Turbo

Here's the "video" for anyone interested!

th_MOV046.jpg

Rob Turbo

The engine is now ready to be lifted and pulled forward to weld a plate in the bulkhead for the clutch, but my hoist is locked in my mates garage and with me having to work I won't really have enough daylight to sort it yet, so the 306 is being left alone until the weekend.

Back to the turbo engine for a bit, I finally got round to getting stuck into it, got the turbo off and checked it over, bearings are still spot on, as are the blades of the compressor, so that's been tucked away until I decide what I'm doing with it. Went to take the head off and my halfords pro torx bit rounded off in the socket thing it's pressed into, so that'll be going back! I've got another, more heavy duty one that I'll dig out tomorrow after work and finish the post mortem then!

M@tt

engine sounds awesome rob, leave it like that :D

Rob Turbo

Got the head off, it was just the gasket, there's a gap been blown between 2 and 3! I guess the standard gasket is no good for 18 psi then? At least it was an excuse to fit a v6 :)

So that engine will be getting a new gasket, put back together, then sold complete, should be able to get some money back from what I've poured into it at last.

I took a couple of photos but my phone won't connect to my laptop, I'll copy them to a memory card later, then copy them to the laptop with a card reader.

Rob Turbo

Here's a couple of photos from last weekend, marking the megasquirt loom to adapt it for the v6,

th_Photo-0052-1.jpg

th_Photo-0053.jpg

And working on it in the living room,

th_Photo-0054-1.jpg

Then a couple of the head gasket from the turbo engine,

th_Photo-0055.jpg

th_Photo-0056.jpg

I've got next week off work to finish the v6, hopefuly I'll have it back together tomorrow so I can spend the rest of the week mapping! I got the dye grinder out after work today to modify the hole in the bulkhead and I got the key to my mates garage for the weekend, so first thing tomorrow I'll be pulling the engine about to start welding, which will hopefuly mean I can get it all back together in good time!

Rob Turbo

Got the plate welded in, had loads of trouble trying to get it to work, the pedal was solid, after a few hours messing around finally found the problem, the clutch, the release bearing has pulled out of the cover so the release arm was as far in as it could go, I pulled it back out so the bearing clipped back into the cover and as soon as I touched the pedal the bearing unclipped again, the circlip must have had it, looks like I'm gonna have to get a new clutch kit, which I really didn't want to do, they cost a fortune, and I won't be able to get one until monday at the earliest, probably even later than that.

But that means the engine is going to have to come back out so I can get the gearbox off.

Once this is finished I'm never going near another peugeot v6 again, EVER, I can't see them being worth the time, money and hastle, but can't give up on this one now, it's nearly done, I think, there's bound to be something else that's just waiting to go wrong.

Rob Turbo

Got the clutch today, fitted it, got the engine back in, took a while to get the clutch working properly, got it all back together, dropped it on it's wheels, fired it up, put some coolant in, and drove it for the first time in about 4 months!

Now, on with the mapping!

I've got another video of it starting up with the front end in the air and no exhaust, I might upload it later, you can see it this time!

Goliath

Im glad to hear this is going a bit better for you now :) Awesome that it is running and the clutch is in too. Upload that video! How did it drive?

Rob Turbo

It's a bit jumpy, but that's to be expected really, there's practically no map on it, the short drive I took it on was just for a bit of logging, but it went bloody well considering!

My aim is to spend tomorrow getting it mapped to a half decent standard so I can drive down to work to collect my pay and show it off.

I'm having a bit of trouble bleeding it so I'm going to change the expansion tank (check your for sale post Goliath!) and hopefuly that will sort it!

I'll get that video uploaded, I need to get another one of it all together and with the exhaust, still sounds lovely!

Rob Turbo

And here's the video,

th_2ndstart.jpg

M@tt

fantastic work rob!!

Rob Turbo

I've been doing a bit more mapping, it's fairly driveable now, I'm gonna get someone to drive it for me while I do some fine tuning of the fuel table because it's rather lumpy at part throttle. I don't have the idle valve working, I was trying to use the standard 3 pin one, but it doesn't seem to do anything when I change the settings, but it doesn't seem to bother the engine, it starts from cold and after a couple of blips of the throttle it will sit idling at very low rpm, then when it's warm it will tick over just under 1k rpm, so not bad for now.

But, now for the problems, first thing I noticed, the rev counter is out, by a long way! And megasquirt doesn't seem to have any settings to adjust it to make it right, only normal or half speed, normal over reads, half under reads :ph34r: Possibly a rev counter from a 406 will sort this, although there doesn't seem to be a different part number for dials from a v6 compared to any other model?

Second, the speedo is over reading, I've put some details into a tyre size calculator and it looks like I need to fit 406 spec wheels/tyres, surely that's going to look wrong on a 306? But I think I'm going to get a set of 406 coupe 16" alloys weather I fit 406 or 306 size tyres, to save having to space the cyclones out to clear the brembos, which need to be fitted ASAP, the gti6 brakes don't seem that good at stopping the extra weight, they do work, just not as well as I want!

And the last problem, I think the thermostat is buggered, when driving the coolant temp doesn't really get above 60 degrees C, but leave it ticking over and it will get up to 80-90 degrees no problem, then when you get moving again it drops back to around 60. I've ordered a new thermostat, I'll wait until I have the new expansion tank before I fit it, that way I only have to drain and refil the coolant once!

It feels great to be back behind the wheel of my 306 at last though! :)

carbers205

Thats excellent news dude, thats some perseverance and patience you have to keep on and get it running!

Andy

happygoron

Great to see this on the go!

tom_m
Second, the speedo is over reading, I've put some details into a tyre size calculator and it looks like I need to fit 406 spec wheels/tyres, surely that's going to look wrong on a 306? But I think I'm going to get a set of 406 coupe 16" alloys weather I fit 406 or 306 size tyres, to save having to space the cyclones out to clear the brembos, which need to be fitted ASAP, the gti6 brakes don't seem that good at stopping the extra weight, they do work, just not as well as I want!

i take it you're using the 406 gearbox (i guess you have to?) is the speedo drive the same as on a BE gearbox? can you not just put the 306's worm drive into the speedo drive instead of the 406 one?

Rob Turbo

The drive in the gearbox is different to the BE gearbox, I've had a look on service box for a different drive but it looks like there was only one size in the ML box, I can't think of any other way to get it to read right either, I'd be greatful of any suggestions though!

Rob Turbo

Problems again!

Coil pack has packed in, it started as a misfire when cold, but once it was hot it was fine, then while it was sitting ticking over I heard a crack and it started running on 4 cylinders, I took the coil pack off and the one on number 3 cylinder is swollen and cracked, so that's another £150 ish at least for another coil pack :blush:

I'm going to have to use the pickup to get to work again until I find the cash to get one.

As soon as it's mapped and everything back together, like bits of dash that I've left off for now, it's going up for sale, I'm sick of the sight of it!!

Rob Turbo

Got a new coil pack today, £130, put it on, misfire is still there (not actually sure it's a misfire, basically it's a constant splutter!) But as before, it goes once it's over 80 odd degrees, but it doesn't stay that hot for long, as soon as I'm moving again the temps drop back down to 60-70, I've bought a new thermostat for it but haven't fitted it yet, I want to wait until I change the expansion tank.

But even once the thermostat is changed, it's still going to have this misfire until it's warmed up, I suppose the next thing on the list will be plugs, the leads cost a fortune because where they go onto the head they are in a plastic block, so I don't want to change them unless I really have to.

Nothing's cheap for this engine, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm never getting another one!

welshpug

I'm sure that'll change once you get to drive it when completed :rolleyes:

check that no water has got down onto the top of the plug.

is it sequential or batch injection?

Rob Turbo

Just had it out again, I checked the coolant level, there was only a bit in the bottom of the expansion tank, filled it up, got it hot, opened the bleed valves, coolant came out under quite a bit of pressure, tightened them back up, put the torch on the expansion tank and I could see bubbles coming through, big bubbles when I blipped the throttle. Took it for a run, it was fine until it cooled down again but now it's even worse than before, and the coolant has gone down by about 20mm from the top of the expansion tank.

My dad reakons it's probably just air trapped in the system working it's was out, because none of the coolant pipes go hard when it's running, I think it's the head gasket myself.

The plugs were bone dry when I put the coil pack back on. It's batch injection, 2 sets of 3 injectors, I did have it as all fired at once, and I thought the splutter was because of that, so changed it to alternate the 2 sets, as per the instructions on the megasquirt manual, but it's exactly the same.

Tom Fenton

Bugger, you aren't having much luck with this. However don't lose heart- you'll soon have all the hard stuff done, and if this engine does turn out to be a duffer another complete engine I'd guess won't cost you a fortune, and you can "just" (I know, I know) swap over.

Rob Turbo

Aaaaannnnnddd, I've been out again! Took it for another run to see what would happen, still it's usual spluttery self, was out for about 10-15 mins, tried more advance, less advance, messed around with the dwell times, still nothing, got back, coolant level still hasn't changed since last time. I took some coolant out with a squeezy bottle and put it in a jar, it just smells like coolant, no smell of exhaust, doesn't look like there's any oil in, no coolant on the dip stick.

I think I'll fit the new thermostat tomorrow after work instead of waiting for the expansion tank, see how things go then.

I'll weigh it in before I buy another engine for it!!

danpug

You really aren't having any luck with this. I'm sure you'll love it when its done though, i went out in ade 4wd's 205v6 a few weeks ago and it'll make a very nice engine in a 306.

Rob Turbo

I've got good news and bad news.

The bad news is, I went to fit the thermostat and it's different, looks similar but there's no way it would do it's job, so that's going back, but while the old one was out I checked it over and could see it clearly wasn't closing fully, so, after a quick examination, I bent it a bit to make it close! Put it back in and it sort of works, it opens sooner than it should, but the temp sits higher than it was so a slight improvement, although still had the splutter.

Onto the good news, at least I hope it's as good as I think it is, I had a look for new plugs and found that the v6 uses the same plugs as the 2.0 8v turbo, not too long before the head gasket went on the turbo I bought a set of NGK Iridium IX plugs for it, so I put 3 of them in, in the front head, and the splutter doesn't seem as bad, infact it seems a lot better to drive, on the short run I took it on, so, I'm going to order 3 new ones to put in the back, I could just get 2, seeing as I already have 4 and I've only used 3 so far, but with them being so hard to get at I'd rather put 3 new ones in! (just in case I do fall in love with it once it's running properly and end up keeping it!)

Now for the tricky question, while I'm at it do I change the plug leads to the back head? £61.34 from pug, and for a change they seem like the cheapest, although I haven't asked the motorfactors yet, just looked around the net. I can't really afford that ammount of money at the minute, but if I don't get them now and the plugs don't fix the splutter then I have the inlet to take back off again when I do get them.