• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

[Body_Work] Rust Rust And More Rust!

Telf

Having read through my list of stuff that needed finishing last year- seems there are still a few bits!

These include:

Fix the bonnet stay- I snapped the bolt fitting it.  The new bonnet solved this!

Fit the rear interior plastics- I just can't face taking the 1/4 seals out again right now! Fitted about a month ago.

Source a trim strip for the rear of the headliner

Find a new digital clock   JACKHERER!!!!

Buy new wheel bolts . Mine are stretched and have seen better days  sourced but expensive-probably should buy these!

Source new caps for the wiper arms.

Fit the rear washer bottle

Fit new bulbs in the instrument console

Fit the door pulls if I ever find the right plastic inserts for the screws!

Adding to the list

Probably going to have to find a better way to control the engine management fueling, Its still not how i want it, i think this will mean fitting a lamda sensor to give it finer control. 

New drivers door window seal- i bought a new one and wrecked it fitting it, not happy with it at all.

New trim for the sunroof, refitted my old trim on build, tatty despite being painted, also cracked thanks to the bonnet incident.

Refit the mud guards and brackets - just being refurbished at the moment.

New seats- did i ever mention i need some new seats? Anybody have any for sale?

New bonnet, the rush to fix it after the bonnet catch incident resulted in a pattern one being fitted. looks nice, painted lovely but doesnt quite fit properly.

Bogsye

Brilliant effort - Have just enjoyed reading this. It's given me some more pointers for the work I'll need to do at the rea\r end of the sills, and crucially some more motivation.

Thanks for documenting this.

Brian

• Like 1

Philpooma

I dont get onto this excellent forum as often as I should and I have just read your issue over the noise in the boot, I was thinking that it could be that strengthening bar that you have highlighted. After my rebuild I wasn't sure how to position the Collar on the axle in relation to the bar end that sits it it.

Initially it was that that was making knocking noises under the car.

I ended up wrapping some rubber around the end of the bar to stop in making metal to metal contact and then “pre loading” the bar so that it sat against the collar.

Stopped the noise :D

• Thanks 1

Telf
10 hours ago, Bogsye said:

Thanks for documenting this.

Cheers Brian,

Sadly i refer back to it every so often to remind myself of something or other. Im beginning to think it may be a thread that never dies as there always seems to be something to do even after spending enough to buy a nice new family car outright!

Telf

Posted this on a separate thread but anyway.. back to the knocking noise in the boot

In the last 4 months or so I've noticed a wierd thumping noise coming from the rear of the car.

Today it's been into the Workshop and all the suspension torques have been checked. 

During the inspection we noticed a slight noise from the beam in the offside wheel when you shook the wheel . 

So had a look all round and decided to make sure the main torsion beam and plates were ok. Also checked the front and rear anti roll bar. I noticed that the lock nut for the front bar wasnt tight so tightened that as far as I dared. Put everything back together and drove it. The noise has disappeared. 

I've also repositioned the tank strap shackle , that has been catching on the front ARB as there is a rust/scuff mark.

I'm wondering if this could have caused any serious issue with the beam? I still have a slight vibration under heavy braking (70 mph rapid braking into a roundabout) but apart from that it seems ok.

I can't really understand how this could have happened other than it's just not been tightened enough or the whole powder coating thing has allowed a bit of play where it was initially built ?

Telf

well an month later and about 500 miles covered the beam seems ok. knocking has stopped.

The car developed a vibration under braking, initially thought it was related or caused by the beam/torsion bar issue. Anyway I couldn't find the cause and decided it must be disc related - maybe warped (complete guess).

Stripped the rear brakes and found a pad wasn't seated in the piston recess correctly so was effectively rattling . As the brakes were now apart and i'd bought new rear discs already i rebuilt with fresh discs - vibration fixed. Once again braking beautifully.

in other news the car now has a wideband sensor and AFR gauge fitted. The intention is to wire it into the Emerald and assist keeping the MAP as optimal as possible.

That in itself has caused issues- initially fitting the sensor in a suitable place  and the latest thing sealing the exhaust properly

Telf

Another week and the completed car continues to be worked on. Exhaust still leaking so i thought sod it and booked it into a custom exhaust place near home. Jumped in this morning and reversed off the drive- noticed a wet patch. Jumped out and looked underneath... the bloody thing is only leaking fuel from the union at the pump flexi to the steel pipe.

Clip tightened and off again for the appointment. Custom exhaust guys laugh at exhaust and agree to sort it out. Its going to be welded into a single piece and leak checked. So that should close this issue for the next few years. 

Already looking to the future- rebuild the old engine and have a serious think about adding a turbo.

Telf

exhaust chopped and a new section in place, still frigging stinks. Spent the afternoon hunting around and noticed the steering column seal not fully seated. Refitted it after a fight. Drove it - still stinks. its getting boring now. Next up adding sealant to every screw and seal area in the engine bay to make sure it is sealed.

Bogsye

That sounds pretty frustrating. I recall my A-H Sprite and Minor resto's took about 1,000miles to shake down and eliminate all the niggles. Most annoying was the failure of new or repro parts.

I looked back in the thread, so may have missed it (apologies if I have), but could the fumes simply be entering via fresh air inlet beneath the windscreen? Perhaps the seal between the bonnet and the top lip of the bulkhead allowing fumes through?

Leslie green

Very frustrating Paul but I'm sure you will get it sorted , what about where the sunroof drains come down in the wheel arch there is a grommet there at the bumper mount little panel from memory and its near the tank vent too on drivers side if I remember correct . There is also a little rubber joint in the filler pipe down at bottom of the arch where it goes to a different diameter which could leak when you are on the move and fuel is sloshing about but you have probably changed it ?

Edited by Leslie green

Telf

well another few months have rolled on. Haven't driven the car much. Serviced it - oil filter and oil.. not a lot needed as the car is still essentially new.

Its sitting doing not a lot! 

Chasing the fuel smell still although as mentioned in my thread about it the passengers who have been in the car think its nothing and just 'old car' smell. maybe I'm going mad.

Anybody want to buy and almost entirely new 1.9 GTI?  I probably will sell it for the right money - quite like the idea of starting something new..

Edited by Telf

Telf

Well its that time of year again.. providing evidence to the insurers that my cars still alive!!

It is!

20201001_141620.jpg

20201001_141920.jpg

205Rallee
3 hours ago, Telf said:

Well its that time of year again.. providing evidence to the insurers that my cars still alive!!

It is!

20201001_141620.jpg

20201001_141920.jpg

3 hours ago, Telf said:

It is!

20201001_141620.jpg

20201001_141920.jpg

I thought mine had a huge mileage at 175k despite keeping in the garage for ten plus years, but 261k is a cracking effort!

Edited by 205Rallee
  • Like 1

Philpooma
3 hours ago, Telf said:

It is!

20201001_141620.jpg

20201001_141920.jpg

Looking very nice still :D

• Like 1

Telf

261k but really only the Shell and fixtures are original.  Everything  else is new. Engines got 6k on it since build.  Its funny as it sounds like a typical 80s car but it handles beautifully and the throttle is so lively. Really a pleasure to drive despite the noise/rattles and slight whiff. 

For sure before the restoration  at 70 it felt bad at 80 dangerous.  Now having  run it (on private road) at full throttle at 100+ its totally solid . Lovely to drive.

Leslie green

Looks well worth the effort you put into it Paul enjoy 

Telf

Well its the never ending project. 

Broken radiator drain. Nissens  design won't allow the drain pipe from Baker BM to fit very easily. I snapped it when I built the car and its been needing sorting for a while, anyway its finally failed so time for a new Rad. 

Be aware if using a Baker hose!

So out with the radiator and I'm taking the time to clean all the grime and road crud thats already building up.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1603122714663_6723984014605922957.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1603353658255_6724952662237303378.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1603357078218_6724967006601272467.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1603357094540_6724967075061447640.jpeg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1603357106476_6724967125124447736.jpeg

SweetBadger

Looks like you're missing the two rubber blocks that sit on top of the radiator in-between the radiator retaining springs and the rad in those pics, unless you'd already removed them?

Anthony

Good to see that you're still mostly enjoying the car Paul, or at least when it decides not to test your patience by becoming incontinent :p 

I think it's great that unlike so many people these days, you're not keeping it locked in a garage 51 weeks of the year fretting about possibly devaluing it after spending the time and money restoring it, but you're actually driving it!

3 hours ago, Telf said:

i am missing one!

I'm sure that I'll have one in the garage somewhere.  Drop me a PM with your address and I'll dig out and pop you one in the post FOC if you need one.

• Like 1

Telf
On 10/23/2020 at 3:55 PM, Anthony said:

Drop me a PM with your address and I'll dig out and pop you one in the post FOC if you need one.

Thanks Anthony  I've PM'd you.

I do drive it a fair bit. I'd drive it even more if I could solve my phantom fuel smell issue.

I do fret a bit about deterioration,  whilst the radiator is out im cleaning the front end , oiling nuts and bolts, replacing bits and restoring paint finish  where trim has rubbed .

At the end of the day its just a machine . It could be shunted and written off at any time etc so might as well enjoy it.

Telf

Oh yes its back in the paint booth again!!!!

received_612552909703589.jpeg

• Sad 1

MrAndy

I want to ask a common question in between this thread.. It seems to be that (also in Finland..) quite often happens that after a bigger refurbish-work something goes wrong with the bonnet not keeping closed securely anymore. And if that happens during a speed, the driving wind makes the catastrophy a reality..

It has not happened to me yet, and like to hear if there is something special to take care to avoid it happening in future also?

Thanks!!

-A-

Telf
2 hours ago, MrAndy said:

if there is something special to take care to avoid it happening in future also?

If you want it to look original I'd say just make sure the slam panel is fitted properly, make sure the bonnet catch and spring are adjusted correctly. 

Mine is set so I drop the bonnet from about a 45 degree angle and it locks. No problems since.

Other than that you could fit bonnet pins I guess.

• Thanks 1