• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dobboy

[Engine_Work] Dobboy's Clean-Up / Gti6

dobboy

I accept that challenge PB! Lol

Got loads of snow here so even if finished i won't try it out until better weather.

Yeah got new bolts for flywheel and bearings on my diff are nearly new, so think i can just swap CW over and use my BE1 diff.

Hope you're tickling yours along

dobboy

Transfered my Quaife over to the vts box tonight, put the CW on and torqued it up only to realise i had put it on the wrong way...doh

Swapped it around and buttoned it up, everything torqued and done with locktite. I've used the vts diff cover and the 205 speedo drive housing.

Also had a good tidy up of crap and tools.

Next visit i'm gonna fit the flywheel, swap the clutch over, and hopefully button the box on. That should just leave the timing belt, wiring loom, coil packs and inlet mani to do i think.

Edited by dobboy

Mac Crash

Got loads of snow here so even if finished i won't try it out until better weather.

zl3rs5.jpg

The B9007 on Tuesday morning, easy peasy for a new LWB transit but why are they FWD? double easy peasy for a 205 with diff, Northbound I met one other car, southbound on way back in late afternoon there were 2 other cars.... sometimes, it's nice to have it all to yourself.

• Like 1

dobboy

Nice until you go off the road and can't get a phone signal!

What about the transit front heated windscreen! Amazing.

jackherer

You can buy heated front windscreens for the 205.

Mac Crash

What about the transit front heated windscreen! Amazing.

Yip, panoramic view too :) New Transit grows on you, ugly though... still can't understand why they have made them FWD though, and also very high geared, won't pull 6th gear unless at Motorway speed, but there is a reason for it, all in all, still the best van for the UK and an improvement over the last Transit apart from the shift to front wheel drive... in my opinon anyway.

welshpug

They've been FWD for 15 years....

Apart from the RWD ones :lol:

but yeah, the MK6 saw the introduction of the 2.0 Duratorq fwd as well as the 2.4 Duratorq RWD cans, FWD is nothing new.

using the Puma 2.2 as a RWD engine is though.

Edited by welshpug

dobboy

My work got one of the last old shaped Transits, the "Trend" version. It's a great van, it doesn't hang about (especially on a Friday) and is very well refined for a workhorse. Although, as the underseal is thin/non-existent we done it with Shutz the first day we got it.

Also, I wonder who all the van companies design these middle seats for? long journeys are murder on your back, in the middle or in pass side if there's 3 guys in the front.

We had a Vivaro a few vans ago and you needed to masseuse if you were in the middle seat for more than 20 mins.

dobboy

Got the TTV flywheel, clutch, gearbox, and starter fitted today.

Tried to fit timing belt but have hit a bit of a snag on it. After numerous hours of putting belt(s) on and off and being very pissed off i sacked it for the day and will need to revisit it.

Place is a bomb site again.

Edited by dobboy

Paul_13

What toy struggling with on the belt?

Have you slackened off both cam pulleys? Make sure they are pinned and you have a tool fabricated to undo the bolts. Don't rely on the pins to hold it

Sorry this may of been covered before but use an 8v bottom pulley your old 6 one may of slipped

Edited by Paul_13

dobboy

Hi Paul, yeah slackened the cam pully bolts off but the inlet cam won't rotate the 30deg it should. Hopefully it's just sticky with age.

The pins are working ok and i'm using an 8v pulley too. (Middle hole of the 3)

Will have another shot at it when i'm feeling fresh!

dobboy

Got the belt done today, praise the lord. I must have had it on and off 8 times and my hands are ripped to bits and aching.

Loom and inlet are on too.

All i need to do now is-

Fit plugs and coil packs

Fit new Clutch cable

Fit driveshaft seals

Fit new gear linkage

Hopefully get a chance to do this during the week and be ready to drop it in next weekend.

Mac Crash

Jack > your a glutton for it... but look forward to seeing everything back together and maybe a run or two later this year...

WP > I should have said it was the LWB 3.5 tonne I was surprised at being FWD, have had a new LWB transit almost every year since 1999, the new 14 model is the first LWB I have had in FWD, one of the first in the UK and came from Germany on special order, nice van, but disapointing to find it FWD, I didn't order it by the way :)

Edited by Mac Crash

dobboy

Yeah Mac, but i know i'll get my enjoyment out it (if new engine is ok! Gulp)

Last summer was great fun between runs, running about in it, and having it on KH a few times. It made the previous effort worth it.

The magic fairy won't do the work so i just have to get on with it.

The end is in sight now anyway, although a few additional jobs i've spotted that i'll probably do at my leisure while the weathers poor and it's garaged up.

Are you making any progress?

dobboy

Cam cover shaved, plugs and coil packs fitted tonight.

Plumbob

I know its not want you want to hear but you do always have your old known working engine to fall back on. I hope you've got away with whatever you did the other day, cheers for the gbox info too.

dobboy

Yeah PB, i'm 99% sure it will be ok, i knew it didn't feel right so didn't go too heavy handed with it, but there is always that little 1% niggle in the back of my mind.

In fact i could do a compression test on it now as i have a box and starter on it, and a tester, I might just do that.

Plumbob

I've got a niggle with the "chuffing" noise mine makes when it warms up.... Our cars are twins!

Be careful cranking your engine over!

dobboy

Got clutch cable fitted tonight, but won't be at car again until weekend.

Engine should look alright when fitted.

2jfm72o.jpg

• Like 1

dobboy

Got the engine in today and i started connecting it up.

Another day at it and i'll be ready to turn the key i recon.

Hope to feck this timing belt is ok.

• Like 1

Malc

You worry too much!!!

Good progress though.

• Like 1

Mattr5uk

Just turn it over by hand a few times once it's all buttoned up just to give yourself a little reassurance.

Worst case you can re do it in place

• Like 1

dobboy

I've turned it over 20 times and it all lines up spot on.

I do notice the tensioner needle flicks a little though, is that normal?

Mattr5uk

Yes you'll find that more turning it over by hand, you may see it flickers slightly when it's running Unless it majorly slack then it'll jump all over the place.

It'll be fine

dobboy

Thanks Matt. I'll sleep tonight lol