• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dobboy

[Engine_Work] Dobboy's Clean-Up / Gti6

Malc

F##k me do you ever stop spending money on that car!!

Nice wheels though.

dobboy

F##k me do you ever stop spending money on that car!!

Nice wheels though.

Says you, who's also recently bought new wheels and tyres! oh and Lotus calipers, anything else?

Malc

I know, I would dread counting up everything I've spent.

dobboy

Lol Malc, you must have about 4 or 5 (if not more) sets of wheels now!

I'm running out of places to stash stuff, and spent well over a grand since my motor was da na "finished".

Think heroin may be a cheaper option for a good buzz!

Weather's still brutal here btw. Snowy and very windy. Enjoy your 38degrees!

dobboy

Made a start last night.

First step dig out the long Johns and thermal vest, and the working togs.

Got my tools all sorted out and tidied up/made space for my car to get into my unit. During the afternoon i arranged to borrow a hoist which i've to collect today, and i'm gonna get the car down to get it under the knife.

Got my new wheels out there boxes

w02oib.jpg

Had a rattle can made up of the colour i'm going to use, in a satin finish, and thought i'd give a spare prep'd wheel i have a coat to see how it looks, as i was in two minds as to whether to get the Ouragans done with a matt lacquer finish....

The paint turned out very matt, and i think looks a bit unfinished imo, so i'm gonna go for a gloss finish with the refurb Co. They are getting acid dipped, PC's, wet sprayed, and laquered. All for £45 per wheel which i think is great value, and they made a fantastic job of my 1.9 wheels on the car at the moment. I'll get them to fit my new tyres on to them too. I weighed one of the Ouragans out of interest and it was around 8kg on my dodgy scales. I better trial fit a wheel on the front to be 100% sure there are no caliper clearances issues.

Colour looks different in day light and seems to be a match to my kit which is what i'm after.

281bvra.jpg

dobboy

All the reading of others progressing i've eventually got off my erse and made a start today. Got the car down to the unit and up off all fours, battery gear out, fluids drained, fuel pipes disconnected, air intake off, grill etc off.

One thing i forgot to do was to crack the O/S hub nut before i lifted it as i want to replace the driveshaft intermediate bearing. I had trouble getting this out previously and ended up chapping it with a punch and i think i've somehow damaged it as when steering heavily right when going fast i could hear a sort of squeeling, and it's the only thing i can think of that might cause it.

I feel a bit more anxious doing it this time for some reason, and i hope i'm not inviting any major problems.

Picked up the crane too.

Been given the all clear for tomorrow so should get a good few hours at it depending on how much beer i consume tonight. Hopefully have the engine out or be thereabouts. May need to get a helper to assist with removing the downpipe as it's a complete C.

4" of snow here tonight!

An nervous 205 awaits the tool box coming out.

k1fl28.jpg

dobboy

Engines out... And all looks well.

I need to buy a decent jack or i'll be found dead under this car.

welshpug

I need to buy axle stands or i'll be found dead under this car.

EFA.

dobboy

Two HSE issues earler.

First, i removed the gearbox sump plug, and thought it had emptied but never put plug back in. I then removed the shafts out diff. Then onto removing lower engine bracket when the engine swung and i got a gearbox oil face wash. Fortunately i had safety specs on as my eyes were getting filled with crap.

Second issue, and i was nearly phoning around for help.

I had bought a load leveller as i knew from last time that the gearbox end has to go down to eventually get the lot up and out. I set the crane up on the longest reach so i could minimise chances of scratching bumper paint etc. by this time i had already took the car up as high as i could on axel stands to get exhaust off, and the back end is on ramps.

So started lifting it out, got gearbox battery mount off etc and was going for the lift when the crane bottomed and could raise no more, and it's not high enough to get over my bumper. It then started to drop very very slowly with engine bracket resting on mount when i noticed the back wheels are lifting off the ramps!

Had no idea what i could do.

Quickly gave the crane a quick couple of pumps and set about getting the front of the car down off the stands a notch at a time, side to side, using a big block of wood on top of my jack as it doesn't lift enough for top notch on my stands, and prayed it would be enough to let engine over the bumper. Turns out it was, just.

Should be back at it midweek if not sooner.

dobboy

Made another bit of progress today.

Fitted 309 wishbones

Removed steering rack and fitted a ph2 vts rack. The rack fit's just. I wouldn't like to attempt this with an engine still in.

Also checked the new wheels cleared the front calipers ok and they do, probably about 7 or 8mm, and more than my 1.9 wheels.

Stood and stared at the engine i took out and thought, maybe i should just fit the flywheel and new box and plonk it back in as the engine is good.

Will sleep on it.

Mattr5uk

I'll be interested to see how different the vts rack is when your done, I've racked up nearly 500miles in mine the steering although a bit heavy when parking I don't have an issue with however the 1.9 gearbox I'm finding a little underwhelming to say the least.

I will be picking up another 205 gti6 with a vts box over next couple of days, then to make the best I can out the 2 cars............

dobboy

Cool Matt, i was in one with the VTS box, it's night and day.

I'm expecting my steering to be heavier as i don't want Pas...... Keeps the GF out it too 8)

dobboy

Some pics from the weekends works

15" Ouragan (406 wheel) on GTI180 calipers

ztj6g3.jpg

205 non-pas splined lower column (bottom in pic) compared to a 205 (not sure if pas/non pas) square drive lower column

2li7yth.jpg

dobboy

309GTI wishbone compared to a 205GTI wishbone

3329p2f.jpg

dobboy

Engine out.

But now i have a dilema. Use this engine again, which i know is 100% good, but i suspect has over 100k miles on it and has been tracked, and been put through it's paces since my ownership.

Or swap all the gubbins over to my VTS engine which is low mileage, good service history and had a relatively easy life, but i don't know much more about it.

Transferring everything over is easy enough and i don't mind doing it, but i'm just not sure what to do.

qow379.jpg

welshpug

100k is nothing really, some die at 100k, some keep marching hard to 280+

I would advise you sort that intermediate driveshaft bearing carrier before trying to get the engine back in with the box attached, get it bolted to an engine block and give the end of the shaft a proper thump with a copper hammer or a drift, don't smack it directly with a big lump hammer a you risk damaging the splines.

dobboy

Cheers WP, but what's the best option for me?

100k+ miles (hard life but known good) v's 80k (easy life but unknown).

I've got the bearing out the mount, it actually came away by hand as last time i was at it i had copper greased it, donno why i never took the mount out the way, i was probably off on a tangent.

But prior to taking it off i had thought this bearing was a cause of a squealing/screaching/ratting that i had when planting it turning right, but the bearing seems fine, smooth and no play that i can feel. The noise i was getting isn't like a CV joint, and i don't think it was coming from either side of the car. It's got a Quaife, but i've never noticed the noise on any other Quaife cars. So i'm not sure what it could be.

welshpug

sounds more like a wheel bearing.

dobboy

sounds more like a wheel bearing.

Ah, i never thought about that, i thought the noise was coming from middle of car but could be decieved. I only hear it when the car is under strain. (As long as it's not to do with my current work as i don't want to be going under this car again popping driveshafts after this load is done.)

dobboy

Bit of progress tonight, started transfering the bits from old engine to new. It doesn't seem like a lot of work but it's takes a bit of time as every bolt is a different size and type.

The water side and exhaust manifolt is off and transferred, inlet is off, loom is removed, brackets for loom are off.

One thing i have noticed is a lot of bolts on the old engine seemed to a slackened off, i could have got a half turn or more on quite a few. Everything was torqued up previously to correct settings. Gonna use loctite this time.

dobboy

Engine mount bracket, alternator, ping sensor, and wiring loom brackets all transferred over tonight. It's beginning to take shape, but still lots to do.

Plumbob

Got that flywheel off yet?

dobboy

Hi PB, my TTV is still in a packet but can't fit it until i've built engine up and got it down off the stand. Still to get my Quaife out my old box too and fit it to VTS box....another job.

I can only do one miracle at a time! Lol

Edited by dobboy

Plumbob

Don't want to state the obvious but you're supposed to use new flywheel bolts. I got mine from my pug dealer who had them in stock. Don't have the part number on me but it won't take you long to find it on here somewhere.

I got the diff bearings from a local bearing supplier rather than pay the pug prices.

Keep up the good work. The race is on as to which one of us gets to test the flywheel first! :-)

dobboy

I accept that challenge PB! Lol

Got loads of snow here so even if finished i won't try it out until better weather.

Yeah got new bolts for flywheel and bearings on my diff are nearly new, so think i can just swap CW over and use my BE1 diff.

Hope you're tickling yours along