• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dobboy

[Engine_Work] Dobboy's Clean-Up / Gti6

dobboy

At it for a few hrs today, most of which was trying to fit the downpipe with my dodgy thumb.

Fitted GrpN gear linkake too, radiator, slam panel etc.

Anyway, it runs!

First click and it started instantly. Only ran it for a minute and had a quick check around it and all seems good.

Delighted.

• Like 1

camgti

Good work! Always enjoy your updates.

Show us a few pics with the new wheels!

Cam

Edited by camgti
  • Like 1

Mac Crash

Are you making any progress?

Slowly, work usually always gets in the way... 1.9 failed CO test emissions on Friday (has been sitting a while), so got some decent fuel cleaner through it on Sunday and a good run, I'm still surprised how eager this 8v engine is after all these years and 125,000 mls, still feels really quick, or I'm just old, heh heh. The rear axle is all wrong though, visibly scrubbing both rear tyres, 4 wheel alignment check next then go from there.

• Like 1

dobboy

Here's a few pics from the weekend.

This time i used a load leveller on the crane, which is very handy, although the lift of the crane is reduced a by a couple of feet when using them, so i got the car down low and did a check before i started. I just took my time and had it in in about an hour or so, working the load leveler and the position of the crane at time i had not as much as a scratch in the bay.

Getting ready

28mp9xt.jpg

Dropping the gearbox end down with the LL

34y1rh0.jpg

And it's in. (and the dog can get his blanky back!)

2hz4zs6.jpg

• Like 1

dobboy

Then i started building it back up

ip42yt.jpg

One thing maybe someone could confirm is that this OS DS seal is sitting where it should, my last one sat near flush but i couldn't get this one in any further without using brute force? does it look ok? or should the black rubber part go in further?

m8czt2.jpg

camgti

Think it needs to go in further. Some say to leave it proud. Ive never had problems with mine sitting flush.

cam

• Like 1

dobboy

Cam i'm still not 100% sure what i'll do with the wheels colour/finish wise, and i'll need to get a couple of old tyres fitted to make sure 100% that there are no issues front or back.

Here's a pic of a little (rough) experiment i done

The wheel on the right has the colour the Ouragans will be done in, but mixed with a satin finish. I then laquered half of it to see how it would be as the wheels will get lacquered at the wheel place. It seems to darken them right down (although the laquer was prob still a bit wet). Still to compare with my body kit etc and then decide what i'm doing and get them in to the place, but no rush on them just now.

zl5jjb.jpg

aldworth33

Glad it started ok, this is making me want to pull my finger out on mine

estland

My driveshaft seal also wanted some force. (wasn't original part)

dobboy

I put the NS seal and shaft in earlier and it's sitting near flush. I gave it a smear of Vasceline and chapped it in with a rubber mallet.

Was thinking i'll go back and give the OS one another few chaps with shaft in until the black rubber isn't visable. Hope i don't fold the inside of it back on itself or damage it in some way, they seem to be hit or miss items.

I'll do the VSS while i'm at it.

dobboy

My driveshaft seal also wanted some force. (wasn't original part)

Yeah, i should've fitted them when putting diff cover on.

Plumbob

I got my seals from pug and they didn't look like yours. My old ones I took out did. I left them slightly proud of the diff casing.

• Like 1

dobboy

As proud as the one in the pic? Or in a bit more?

It's the same as the last set i used which worked fine. Pug Dept isn't very handy for me, compared to ebay!

Edited by dobboy

welshpug

see the three raised bits, tap it in till its level with those.

you will need a gentle tapping implement not just by hand.

Edited by welshpug

dobboy

Raised bits on the seal or housing WP?

Was thinking i could put a little piece of wood accross it an chap it in a bit each side at a time.

dobboy

Another few hrs at it tonight, and a visit from Malc for a bit of swapping of each others 205 crap!

Got grill on

VSS fitted, but snapped the rubber speedo cable plug/holder so will need to get a new one. Fortuneately i think the cables in position and can simply pull out the thick bit of rubber that's still in the VSS and fit a new one.

Also managed to sort the DS seal as per WP's recomendation, fairly easy, so cheers for that WP.

Seems i bought wrong spec og Gbox oil (75/90 as per Quaife's recommendation) so replacement stuff should arrive tomorrow

All that's left now is Gbox oil, sort my tracking, fit new aux belt, and fit underside of dash, then it's 100% done.....providing DS seals hold. And i've also got a set of solid rear beam mounts to do at some stage.

Also ran it for a few mins, i can hear a tap from the head, i don't think it's a tapper, but mmmm hope that it sorts itself after a bit of a run.

Failing that it's getting the good oil dropped out and an engine flush which i'm kind of kicking myself for not doing.

Anyway, i'm well chuffed with what i've done and i'm really looking forward to getting a shot of it, with hopefully minimal teething problems.

Think i've clocked up 48hrs doing this lot of work so far..... I thought i'd do it in 40.

Regarding tracking, should the front now be getting set to 309 settings?

welshpug

The tapping if it's just the lifters will quieten down once given a decent run, just sat there idling they often wont.

Tracking is best set to parallel or up to one degree in for a road car, doesn't matter which wishbones you run.

• Like 1

Plumbob

I can second that theory of the top end smoothing out after a decent run, as you know mine was making a racket all the way through the MOT but went quiet once I took it for a blast.. I was thinking all sorts of bad stuff... Head gasket, "tapper", exhaust manifold... but no.. just needed to be driven and not sat there idling.. It never "tapped" before I got it so I must admit I was a bit puzzled... :unsure:

Looks like you've got loads done! Well done... You'll be finding out what that flywheel is like very soon!

• Like 1

dobboy

PB, yeah i think it will be ok..... (it's just the thought of having to do this again for any reason). It hasn't been too bad actually, but my "me" time is running low, and so it my usable work clothes that can be dumped.

Here's the new baby in it's pram.

350nte1.jpg

dobboy

Well then, got everything finished (except torqing hubs correctly), so thought i'd take it a little 10min run...... Which led to putting the foot down.

Holy bagoly! This feels like a different car.

It feels like a 1.6gti but with oomph if that makes sense, like a moterbike on 4 wheels.

The non pas 2.6 rack is a bit heavier, quite heavy below 30 i guess but after that you dont notice.

My tracking isn't a million miles away either for doing it by eye.

Honestly i'm grinning ear to ear as i write this.

Roll on the summer!

• Like 2

dobboy

Had another half hour in it today.

The steering is heavy below 40, but not unbearably heavy.

Also noticed that although my steering wheel is near centre the wheels are sitting toe out.

Need to get the tracking sorted asap as the steering feels strange and pulls a bit when wellying it up the gears and i'm very conscious of it.

Also noticed when i started the car the oil pressure was very high (4/5), then later was very low (1/8).... Will have a look at the connection to it before next outing hopefully my sender isn't goosed.

Really happy with the box but 1st gear is no use on slippy roads, it seems a very short gear in comparison to what i had. The rest are shorter but feel good.

Also notice that as soon as you accelerate from standstill it goes, where previously it felt as though there was a one second delay. Think this might be to do with the flywheel.

I do't notice any negatives with the flywheel at all.

jackherer

It's normal for the oil pressure to drop as the oil gets hotter.

Time for an LSD by the sounds of it... It never ends :P:lol:

Dizzee stuff

It's normal for the oil pressure to drop as the oil gets hotter.

Time for an LSD by the sounds of it... It never ends :P:lol:

I think he has one

dobboy

Yeah, it has Quaife, but also Toyo TR1's which are fookin brutal if the road isn't bone dry. (Got a set of Yoko AD08R's to go on the Ouragans when i fit them.)

There is definately something not right with what is being displayed on dash a bout oil pressure, it's too extreme what it's showing. I'll check i haven't mixed oil press and temp wiring up somehow as i was careful with the press unit when i removed and refitted it, no reason for it too be suddenly creme crackered.

Ams

'Mon the Dobboy! :D

My 1.0 AX Spree wheelspins on our greasy winter roads too. :P

• Like 1