• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dobboy

[Engine_Work] Dobboy's Clean-Up / Gti6

dobboy

Had the car out for a good hour today.

This tick tick tick is still there from the head, but i also noticed smoke coming out the exhaust which i hadn't previously noticed.

So i started the family audi that had just arrived and there was no smoke from it.

I'm begining to think i may have bent something with my timing belt fitting troubles...a valve? Or what else?

It certainly isn't holding the car back but MOT is due in April and i would be a bit devastated if i was off the road in the summer because of emissions.

What's the best course of action for me to check it out?

Compression test?

j_turnell

With the tracking, somewhere close to parallel depending on your driving style, wouldn't go anywhere near as much as a degree toe-in, would be horrendous, 5-10 minutes maybe.

What colour is the smoke? Black - fuel, Blue - oil and White - water/ condensation. Could just be the time of year and need a good drive. Yes a compression test should show if you've bent a valve.

• Like 1

dobboy

Thanks, i would say more white than blue, but i thought it strange my family car didn't have any, and both cars had been running for 30mins or so.

Will get the tracking done parallel and take it from there, (after rear beam mounts are done).

Cheers

dobboy

Got a couple of old tyres fitted to a couple of my new wheels to make sure they fit ok, and all is well except a very slight rub at full lock. Doesn't seem much reduction in space between back wheel/tyre and swinging arm, which there should have been according to my calcs, however this is a different tyre type to what came off with my SL's.

I quite like them.

208jkac.jpg

Not sure if i'll get these refurb'd lighter, or as my kit, or at all. (Depends how much my dodgy valve/head is gonna cost to fix.

dobboy

aoutq9.jpg

There are 15x6.5 ET20 from a 406

Kane

Dobboy I'm sure someone else will confirm or refute this suggestion but could the smoke appearing at the exhaust be down to worn valve guides?

Again not sure of the likelihood of this as I'm not familiar with the 6 engine but worn guides could be letting oil weep down the back of the valves which would then be getting burned off on combustion. Apparent signs can be excessive carbon build up on the head/valves in the combustion chamber.

Might be worth while getting them checked if you are to send off the head to be inspected.

dobboy

Howdy Kane, it wasn't smoking yesterday so i take it has just been the weather.

I'm gonna get the head completely done i think by a pro as it's beyond me and i don't know enough about engines to do it. I wouldn't like to try attempt it and end up in the same boat 30hrs and a couple of hundred quid later.

dobboy

They look good Jack :-)

Yeah, i don't think they look out of place especially in the 15" And the more i see them the more i like it. If my new tyres sit like these ones then i won't need spacers, but think i likely would've if i had fitted a Toyo.

Might need to darken down the rear disc protectors though as you can see a lot more of what's behind the wheel compared to the SL's, free extra cooling though.

dobboy

Had another look today at the back tyre to trailing arm/beam pivot point with a decent light..... there ain't a lot of space, 5mm max on NS.

When i measured the NS and OS before swapping the wheels, the gap on the OS was 2mm closer, so depending on how the new tyres sit it's looking possible that i'll need spacers on the back.

The new tyres i've bought are Yoko AD08R's, the tyre on my SL's are Toyo TR1's which i'm hoping will be broader than the Yoko due to rim protectors on them.

(Steer clear of TR1's)

Hopefully fit the new solid rear beam mounts sometime over the weekend so should get a better look at clearances.

We'll see.

SOS phoned and said they've been working flat out and will get a price to me for my CH as soon as they get a chance.

Also looked at my spare good engine today and realised i never pinned it when i robbed the water pump off it...... reiterating to myself that i'd best leave engine work to someone who knows what they are doing...... kicking myself.

Kane

Shouldn't be too much an issue if it hasn't been manually rotated I don't think. Just carefully rotate the cams and crank back to the locking positions and pin them there. If you feel any resistance back off and try the next part.

• Like 1

dobboy

Shouldn't be too much an issue if it hasn't been manually rotated I don't think. Just carefully rotate the cams and crank back to the locking positions and pin them there. If you feel any resistance back off and try the next part.

True Kane, by not knowing what the "expected" resistance level is, is why i bent a valve or two or more.

From what i've read on a GTI6 you can't rotate the cams around individually, and from my own experience with my first and second engine, the resistance changes when turning the engine over, and you could push a little/bit too much and then it's too late..

If for any reason i need to use the spare engine, i hope it will only be to nick the head off it...... but would prefer current head fixed or totally refurb'd depending on cost.

Malc

Rotrex kit advertised in for sale section!!! Come on know you want too!!!

dobboy

Had a shot earlier with solid mounts fitted on the rear and it is a bit noisier in the cabin but never done anything to notice any differenece really. But still have the dilema of what wheels to use (and colour, but swaying to staying silver).

I think the Ouragans suit it as well as the 1.9's, maybe even give it a slightly sportier/eager look to it.

wioort.jpg

unariciflocos

It's almost as if you've already made your mind up, especially since you've left the bonnet up in the second pic so that the car wouldn't look as good as a whole.

I like the original wheels myself. :D

• Like 1

dobboy

Bonnets up on both!

I like both!

Decisions decisions

S@m

A vote for the speedlines from me.

Mattr5uk

The standard wheels for me :)

Plumbob

Standard wheels look the best!

calvinhorse

Sorry dude but it's another vote for standard from me

• Like 1

dobboy

Standard wheels look the best!

Well if you want a swap for yours, my SL's are in near mint condition? :)

Looks like the Ouragans are taking a popularity beating!

Mac Crash

I'm afraid so, Jack, Peugeot got it right with the factory 1.9 wheels, unless you have a set of 15" Pepperpots :mellow:

• Like 1

dobboy

Got tracking done today but i'm not convinced it's 100% spot on. Can't put my finger on it but i just don't feel as confident about the front end of it as i did before the changes/work i done. I've not refitted the strut brace yet but would it make so much of a difference?

I'm trying to clock up some decent milage before getting it up off all fours and doing a thorough spanner/torque check.

Noticed a few niggles and observations:

• The back end squats at the back a lot more than it did (but the car is night and day when it comes to acceleration)
  • It's a lot noisier inside since the (rear) solid mounts got fitted, so much so that i'm going to add insulation/sound dampening.
  • Think i'm getting a degree of torque steer that i don't remember having.
  • The annoying screeching i used to have at near full lock with foot down when the old box was on, which i thought was the intermediate bearing, is now gone.
  • The gear changes aren't as sweet. The new (2nd hand) linkage lengths need tweaked.
  • First gear is too short for my liking on the VTS box.
  • The BE3 clutch mechanism is much much nicer/lighter than the old BE1 i had.
  • I need to get a gearstick sleeve for a BE3 as this BE1 thing vibrates at ~3krpm and is very annoying.
  • The RPM feel a lot higher when cruising on the motorway.
  • And as odd as it may sound, overall the car requires a bit more effort to drive, and tbh at the moment it doesn't feel as nice/sweet at all.

But on a more positive note, i can't believe the way it accelerates. Last week an AMG C-Class was in front of me at the lights, the guy shot off before i realised there was a little challenge to be had, but when i did i gave it full whammy and up to 80ish he never pulled away from me, before he eased off.

Then today, similar circumstances with 2009 M3, and there was very little in it, and the Audi A5 who was sitting up my erse was left for dead.

At some stage i'll need to record the 0-60 to see what it actually is.

Oh the joys!

welshpug

But on a more positive note, i can't believe the way it accelerates. Last week an AMG C-Class was in front of me at the lights, the guy shot off before i realised there was a little challenge to be had, but when i did i gave it full whammy and up to 80ish he never pulled away from me, before he eased off.

Then today, similar circumstances with 2009 M3, and there was very little in it, and the Audi A5 who was sitting up my erse was left for dead.

At some stage i'll need to record the 0-60 to see what it actually is.

Oh the joys!

m3 wasnt trying, they're 265 bhp / ton, youre at around 185...

allye

Steering not quite right and "torque steer" points towards wishbone ball joints? I don't get any with my V6. Solid beam mounts certainly transfer loads more noise.

Sounds odd but it takes time for a freshly built car to settle in and gel together, should get sweeter and sweeter!