• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dobboy

[Engine_Work] Dobboy's Clean-Up / Gti6

dobboy

Thanks, yeah i'll have good fun in this (if i don't kill myself in it).

It's maybe a bit early to say about the brakes and tbh i don't really know what i'm looking for, but up until now i would say the brakes are excellent, they stop it in no time at all and neither the back or front has ever locked up yet, but i've only really braked hard in the dry. I do get a fair bit of brake dust on the front alloys though. It doesn't seem to nose dive with any significance either. Maybe i'm not going fast enough yet.

I'm not 100% sure what MC it was, I think it was the GTI6 one i fitted (if thats any different to the 406?)

I know the MC i fitted had an additional hole through the body of it for a securing pin for the bottle. (i fitted the 205 bottle and used a cable tie through the hole to stop the bottle vibrating and wrecking the new seals)

And yeah, i single piped to the rear beam, put in a t-piece, and piped out to the rears, (and slung the compenators).

I know Malc has a similar setup only he has drums and didn't have any problems on track last year.

Not sure if it makes any difference but my rear calipers have a slightly bigger piston (Xsaras) than the 1.9 calipers.

Hope that helps.

jackherer

Take it somewhere quiet and brake hard enough to lock up just to check the fronts lock before the rears.

Thanks, yeah i'll have good fun in this (if i don't kill myself in it).

It's maybe a bit early to say about the brakes and tbh i don't really know what i'm looking for, but up until now i would say the brakes are excellent, they stop it in no time at all and neither the back or front has ever locked up yet, but i've only really braked hard in the dry. I do get a fair bit of brake dust on the front alloys though. It doesn't seem to nose dive with any significance either. Maybe i'm not going fast enough yet.

I'm not 100% sure what MC it was, I think it was the GTI6 one i fitted (if thats any different to the 406?)

I know the MC i fitted had an additional hole through the body of it for a securing pin for the bottle. (i fitted the 205 bottle and used a cable tie through the hole to stop the bottle vibrating and wrecking the new seals)

And yeah, i single piped to the rear beam, put in a t-piece, and piped out to the rears, (and slung the compenators).

I know Malc has a similar setup only he has drums and didn't have any problems on track last year.

Not sure if it makes any difference but my rear calipers have a slightly bigger piston (Xsaras) than the 1.9 calipers.

Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks, I only ask as I am mid way through fitting a very similar setup to mine and have been in two minds about compensators/bias valves. Let me know if your impressions change as you get used to it and push it harder;)

dobboy

Yes, thanks, I only ask as I am mid way through fitting a very similar setup to mine and have been in two minds about compensators/bias valves. Let me know if your impressions change as you get used to it and push it harder;)

Will do.

I left a bit of spare in the run in case I need a bias valve. I intended on fitting it under the car near/above beam and somehow getting it set then forgetting about it. Hopefully it won't be needed as I don't think I could face getting under the car for a wee while.

Edited by dobboy

Malc

Have to say seen this car in the flesh and it is stunning, well done a great effort in this build. I am Embarrassed to park mine next to it.........Enjoy driving it and learning its limits.

So Dobboy, charger conversion this winter?

2052NV

Awesome man very cool spec!

soooooooo what are you doing with those rear mudflaps now your not using them?? :P and do you have the fronts also?

dobboy

Malc, had it out on a good empty road tonight, over 100 in what felt like no time!

I'll need to get front wheels balanced again as after 85 I can feed vibration.

You're right about the diff, it's ace coming out corners, i notice it most when i sink the foot coming out round abouts and it just goes to where you point it to. Pre conversion/diff this would have been rattling kerbs.

Charger? No no no no ......maybe 8) no no no. Don't let me.

Edited by dobboy

dobboy

Awesome man very cool spec!

soooooooo what are you doing with those rear mudflaps now your not using them?? :P and do you have the fronts also?

Sorry, I don't have the fronts, and I doubt you will find a set of them. It's the only set I've seen.

I was intending on keeping them and maybe fit them after I've had a shot of the car on a track.

But I'll consider an offer I can't refuse lol

Malc

Malc, had it out on a good empty road tonight, over 100 in what felt like no time!

I'll need to get front wheels balanced again as after 85 I can feed vibration.

You're right about the diff, it's ace coming out corners, i notice it most when i sink the foot coming out round abouts and it just goes to where you point it to. Pre conversion/diff this would have been rattling kerbs.

Charger? No no no no ......maybe 8) no no no. Don't let me.

100!!! I hope that was in kilometres? We can't condone reckless driving now, you may give the impression that 205 drivers are all hooligans!!! Ha ha

Seriously though shift up to forth it will go faster.......

dobboy

100!!! I hope that was in kilometres? We can't condone reckless driving now, you may give the impression that 205 drivers are all hooligans!!! Ha ha

Seriously though shift up to forth it will go faster.......

lol, it felt fast enough for me for the time being! I was on a back road with plenty of vison of what was coming ahead, so i could use the full road width. I did s*it myself when a tractor came over the top of a blind hill at me though...... (and i'm para my bonnets gonna blow up.)

dobboy

2052006, I did an emergency stop last night from about 60, after everything was all heated up.

One wheel locked, and i'm almost certain it was my OS front.

Will see what Malc thinks of the brakes but i really think they are excellent.

I would say the first 1/5 - 1/4 of pedal travel is softish but you can still feel the car slowing down, then the pedal progressively and quickly firms up.

You'd probably be better leaving out the BV until you try yours for yourself and see how yours behaves.

dobboy

Hey Malc, there's a rumour going about that a Brad Pitt and George Clooney lookalike were spotted at the Eurocentral car meet at the weekend in their 205's.

post-23841-0-54133700-1406818137_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

dobboy

Have clocked up a few miles in the car and so far so good.

Had a lucky escape though with the rear wiper motor. I noticed it had stopped working and by sheer coincidence felt heat while cleaning boot panel, put my finger behind it and roasted my finger. Got a new wiper motor to fit but will probably need a relay too which i'll pick up next vist to scrappies.

One thing i notice is how quickly the heat builds up in the engine compartment, oil and water temps, when giving it a bit of stick.

Can't really face doing any majors to the car at the moment but as the car has been kept in my ind unit, i thought it was time to get it home.

So the weekends task was getting the CJ and GTI into this!

post-23841-0-69723000-1407321636_thumb.jpg

dobboy

A day and a half later, a dismantle and rebuild of my homemade racking and several visits to my loft and the local dump, my car came back to the house for the first time in about 10 months.

And both the CJ and GTI got tucked in for the night.

It was an emotional moment for me :)

I've exceeded my disk space on here so can't post a pick..... but the cars fitted with plenty of room to spare.

dobboy

Not done anything to the car, but haven't needed to other than wash it.

After a few weeks of use and proving itself on the road i decided it was time to take it to the track.

So last night me and Malc met up at Knockhill for one of their "open" track nights.... Maximum bookings of 50 cars, and maximum of 30 on the track at same time, and you go on and off as you please.

As it was my first time I was a bit nervous (and excited) about the whole affair and worried that i would be a Miss Daisy and about pranging my car. Turns out there were about another 10 first timers, and we got a little bit longer with the safety briefing and advised to wait 10 mins or so before trying to join the track to let the initial rush to die down/cars come off, and the weather was near perfect.

I had watched a few videos of pro driving lessons at KH on youtube and have been as a spectator lots so kinda knew the track layout.

So, got another briefing from "the Malc", waited a bit, then decided it was time.

A few easy going laps to warm up then i started to get the boot down a bit, and i went on and off every 6 or 7 laps.

The wee car done me proud on the handling front and i found it quite easy to control whenever it slid, and I was surprisingly comfortable. I pulled into the side lots of times to let faster cars past but also managed to overtake a few, and hold my own against a few others.

The GF was timing the odd lap, and although she wouldn't have been able to see instances where i pulled in/slowed down to let folk by at the back of the track i had a 15seconds difference from my slowest lap (near beginning of the night) to a later lap near end of night. The best lap time she clocked was 1.16 which i'm quite happy with, (even though i'm sure i did a few slightly quicker ones 8)).

On the back straight where Malc could get 120mph when he had his standard 205GTI6/6 speed, I could only reach low 90's, so i'm putting this down to the 1.9Gbox fitted to mines, and my next move is to change this to either a 1.6 or VTS box soon, both of which i've got at hand, but will need to gather a few BE3 bits to complete.

If i was doing this regular i'd be investing in a better set of front brake pads as i could feel "something" happening with my standard Brembo pads as i clocked up laps.

All in all a very good and highly enjoyable experience and one i've been desperate to do. It was nowhere as manic/intense as i had thought it would be, and i'll probably do it again..... and both me and the car putted home at 65 unscathed.

Malc

On the back straight where Malc could get 120mph when he had his standard 205GTI6/6 speed, I could only reach low 90's, so i'm putting this down to the 1.9Gbox fitted to mines, and my next move is to change this to either a 1.6 or VTS box soon, both of which i've got at hand, but will need to gather a few BE3 bits to complete.

Not all down to the gear box, exit speed from the previous corner and later braking into the hairpin results an a higher mph (110 not 120 just to confirm) bear in mind I've been driving the track for years and have a slightly different set up, stickier tyres, wider track, uprated ARB, race pads and stiffer shocks which all help. However don't worry about all that, the fact you enjoyed the track is far more important than lap times!! Learn the track and your car before even thinking about changing/upgrading anything, improved driving skills make more difference than any modification.

dobboy

Understood Malc, but i think my exit from corner before was quite fast, but just felt on the straight I ran out of Go Go's and could have made a cup of tea while flooring it up to hairpin.

dobboy

New speakers fitted and they seem to fit fine, although going to drill new fixings for the back ones as they were a bit wobbly.

Ordered a new CD-less stereo for it, that works with and can charge an iphone at the same time... goodbye CD boxes from the car.

Because the car is white dirt/driving dust shows up on it easily especially the tailgate, and dead flys on the front of it.

There's two coats of Autoglym Gloss protection on it at the minute and this makes it quite easy to wipe clean, but i've bought a different wax and some Gtechniq C2 hoping that it helps stop it getting dirty to begin with and the glass can be done with the C2 as well.

Malc

You best watch, all that polishing and you won't have any paint left!!

Let me know when you find a polish that stops your car getting dirty, could really be done with some of that too!

dobboy

Malc, C2 is a dirt repelling coat.

It doesn't mean your car doesn't get dirty, but its easily wiped off. The auto glym stuff is not bad either but hoping C2 works a tad better.

Malc

Just like winding you up, but jealous really

Keen to try some new polishes, waxes etc, with my new motor coming in a couple of weeks, really want to get a good shine on it and protected before winter. Let me know your thoughts on the C2, how it performs.

dobboy

No worries Malc, but i would think as you do a lot of milage the C2 is probably a bit lightweight for your needs, and you maybe need to up the ante to the Gtechniq Exo stuff, which is supposed to last well over a year, it's £40ish, but for a brand new car it's probably worth it.

(Think i've only washed my car 4 times (1100miles), and the CJ twice (750ish miles), cos the Autoglym stuff is on them, and it requires next to no elbow grease to use it correctly.)

Hopefully get a wax and the C2 on mine one night this week and i'll see how it initially looks.

dobboy

Had the car at the French day on Sunday at KH.

I had spent a good part of the day before cleaning it and treated it to a coat of C2, which was very easy to use.

I compared the gloss/shine to the Autoglym gloss protector on a panel prior to doing the full lot, and tbh didn't notice much difference, it was ever so slightly better. However i'm hoping the C2 stuff lasts a bit longer. The C2 doesn't repel dirt as it says on the bottle, but it is very easy to clean the car with it on, and it seems like good value for money. I also done all my glass with it.

Here's a picture of how it looked on the day (from someone else at the days photobucket)

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j455/scotzman205/knockhil%202014/20140831_141755_zpsa4ceb08e.jpg

dobboy

Well, a bit of a disappointing blow after all the work i done. My HG appears to be leaking, and pressurising my coolant system.

I've decided to replace the engine rather than mess about with skimming etc, and just hope this new engine serves me a bit longer.

So, now waiting on a low milage late Xsara VTS bare engine arriving and then over the coarse of the next few weekends and and any mid-week spare time i have will be used getting the sleeves rolled up once again, and i need to try do it without damaging my paint job.

My job list:

Clean and paint the new engine

Remove my old engine and Gbox.

Replace timing belt on new engine(use the new water pump thats on my old engine).

Transfer all my brackets, loom, sensors, clutch, Tstat housing, ancilliaries over to the new engine.

Remove my Quaife from my 1.9 Gbox and fit it to the VTS box i already have.

Fit what clutch stuff i need to from a spare BE3 box i have onto the VTS box

Fit the VTS box on to the new engine

Fit a VTS rack

Plonk the engine in, bolt it all up, and plug it in.

My shopping list.

137 tooth timing belt

Gbox bushes

BE3 Clutch cable

Drveshaft seals

Gaskets - Thermostat and water pump and maybe exhaust (already have new spare inlet)

Oil filter, engine and Gbox oil

Track rod ends

Copper crush washers for the sensors

I'm quite confident i'll manage the engine side no problem as i had my last one in 6 times getting the exhaust manifold spot on..... the work associated with the VTS box and rack i'll probably need some pointers/advice with.

Paul_13

Keep to the 136t cambelt kit if possible. I personally don't like the 137t setup with the auto tensioner

• Like 1