• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dobboy

[Engine_Work] Dobboy's Clean-Up / Gti6

dobboy

Got the Saxo's first track day booked for Sunday, so have been tinkering here and there during the week to make sure i'm ready and hopefully minimize the chances of any breakdowns etc.

I got the tracking done yesterday, but think i've made a bit of a boo boo. Prior to the tracking the car turned into corners really well and i had no complaints about cornering/handling, but i had noticed that at 85mph+ on a straight line the car felt a bit funny/nervous, and as i had changed two TRE's i thought i best get it done.

So got the tracking checked and it was a bit toe'd out. The guy who done my tracking looked up his data book and said it should be 0.2 +/- 0.1 Toe'd in. So he set it at 0.1 TI.

I came back and googled the effects of toe in/out, and as this is meant to be a track car i probably should have got it set a bit TO.

So, had a wee blast tonight and it feels ok entering corners, (but i don't think just as good as it was), but is noticeably more stable on the straights, so i'll see how i get on on Sunday, (KH has two long 90mph+ speed straights).

I've did a full coolant change and fitted a sunstrip which was a total PITA to do, and i actually wrecked the first one and had to buy another.

I've gave the car a full spanner check thankfully as i got quite a bit on several nuts/bolts on the front wishbones and the rear beam.

Also changed the broken capacitor that mounts to the head, done away with the inertia switch, and fixed a tiny brake fluid leak at my bias valve.

The weather is looking good for Sunday, i've clocked up enough miles in the car over the past few weeks to get a good feel for it, and the car is sitting all good to go, so i'm really looking forward to it.

And come Sunday i won't have had a ciggie for 4 weeks :D and feeling the benefit of it...... i used this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/121740248147?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1007303&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=aud-133395220626%3Apla-131843261346&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=122&ff19=0&ul_noapp=true

calvinhorse

I set tracking on everything to absolute zero/parallel, some people do prefer toe out so I'd strongly suggest you go back and get them to 'correct' it for you, toe in will spoil your day and slow you down!

From what I've heard the idea of Toe in is to cause the car to understeer rather than oversteer if you get into trouble in a road car as it's much safer, what a load of s*it! :D

Edited by calvinhorse

Mac Crash

usually toe in for fwd cars and toe out for rwd, idea being apply power to fwd and the wheels will PULL themselves parallel, rwd will PUSH the wheels parallel... in general fwd cars were considered safer for the average driver because if you went too fast into a corner, the natural reaction would be to lift off which would dial out the oversteer... not sure why it was the 205 that got associated with lift off oversteer? try the same thing in a mini and you'll know all about it...

• Like 1

dobboy

Well i had a great day today, and the weather was very good.

On my first session i lost a bodykit arch and and the big inner wing plastic guard thing, on my last lap.... But no harm done.

After that, everything went to plan. The car behaved well and i was doing 1.07's when i had a clear run at it. which i'm quite happy with. What is a little odd is that i wasn't hitting the peak speeds of the 205GTI6, but my lap time was only 1sec slower than my best 205 time, which i think means i was a lot quicker round the back end of the track.

The cars in my group were a mixed bag of old and new but overall fairly well balanced. I'd loose a bit of ground on the long straights, but got it back on the windy stuff.

The weakest link is my new tyres, the car was skating about but it was quite predictable and the diff worked well to pull the car back into line. My tyres are very good on the road but i don't think they're man enough for the track.

I turned the back brakes off, and brought them back on ever so slightly. I noticed i was one of the lastest brakers and never had any problems with fade (on EBC Bluestuff), so i'm happy with them.

A very good (but long) day and the Saxo lives to fight another day, and it was good to be able to push on knowing if i hit the gravel or worse it didn't really matter.

dobboy

I've been thinking about doing a bit of upgrade on the Saxo.

I felt last time at track the gears were a wee bit long (you can hear in the video above), and I remembered the significant difference on my GTI6 when changing from 1.9 box to a VTS box.

So, been hunting for an S1 Rallye box but they are like hens teeth.

However, I have found an S1 XSI box reasonably priced. Only thing is that I would have to get the crown wheel machined to take the TranX that's in my current box.

The gear ratio's seem to be the same between all the boxes, with only the FD changing.

Now, anyone know if there be a notable/significant difference in going from a 3.93 to 4.29 FD?

is it worth the bother/expense? or am I better holding off for an S1 Rallye box to appear?

21lmmtv.jpg

dobboy

Got a trackday booked for Sunday so got my A048's fitted to my C5's and had a blast last night.

Holy bagoly what a difference, the car is totally and utterly on rails!

But....the car also feels a bit unstable, I think the term may be called "tramlining" due to the stiffness of the tyre walls.

It feels a bit like what it felt like at high speed with toe out, but I think i'll live with it. I also notice the suspension having to do more, presumably the tyres are gripping better. On the run I had I got the fronts up to temp no problem but the backs still felt quite cool, maybe having the back brakes nearly fully off isn't helping.

Gonna change my Gbox oil today, and also have a closer look at why my gear linkage doesn't feel nice, (crunches into 1st and reverse).

Apart from that i'm good to go and looking forward to it, but the weather forecast has recently changed to rain.

Car doesn't look toooo bad on C5's.

2zsv8r5.jpg

The rally is tucked away at a local farm. Not had any time to be doing anything with it yet but think I have everything for it with the exception of the original airbox and exhaust manifold, although I met a guy at a tarmac rally last weekend who is running a standard mani on his, so I'll maybe ask if he wants a swap.

10z21r4.jpg

welshpug

crunching will be synchros not linkage.

they always crunch into reverse if you rush them however, as there's no synchro.

• Like 1

Anthony

... or possibly that the clutch is dragging slightly.

• Like 1

dobboy

cheers.

My biting point seems ok for the clutch, if that's what you mean by dragging?

One thing i'll need to check is what WP mentioned on another thread was for a worn roll pin on the bracket one of the linkages goes on to.

Just now I really need to push it hard to get into first (probably worse when cold), it goes into reverse ok, but clunks slightly/sometimes.

It might not help that I have a quickshift stick, and also a quickshift "thing" bolted on to one of the things one of the linkages bolts on to...... if that makes sense!

(doing this let use the long gearstick which I really like)

dobboy

I've adjusted clutch cable by about 15mm. Bite is near top of pedal now. I noticed it goes into 1st no prob if not started, but still requires persuasion when running.

Any ideas?

dobboy

Anthony, I took it to a guy I know and he thinks it is as you say.

Changed the Gbox oil, it was very very grey looking, Titan replaced with Total 8.

Gears actually feel a little bit better.

dobboy

Another successful day at KH..... however, the Saxo is up for sale.

It's a great little car, but it needs a shorter box and torsion bars, and I fancy a Clio 182 tbh

It's advertised on Gumtree, hopefully I won't get offers of swaps for Playstations and fridges!

here's a video of part of one of my sessions from the weekend, from about 6.30mins onwards i'm motoring and I start hunting down the Fiesta ST.....sorry about the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xgypdqO7b8

And, I sold the Rallye last night.

Anthony

All change at Dobboy towers then!

• Like 1

dobboy

All change at Dobboy towers then!

Yeah Anthony, believe it or not the GF was quite supportive as she's seen a few trackdays now.

I'm currently trying to fathom out what Clio to buy and what differences is between 172, 182, Cups and Full Fats!

Malc

Clio trophy, might as well go all out, one of the best hot hatches from the mid 2000s

dobboy

I'm thinking that Malc, but can I justify battering a £5k car around KH?

I really like them, only available in red, and only 500 in the uk. But there's one just now in Newcastle for sale with all the suspension refurb'd and great service history. Think you'd always get your money back on them too.

allye

Surely you could buy a 182 and spend £1-2k making it quicker than a trophy?

• Like 1

dobboy

Surely you could buy a 182 and spend £1-2k making it quicker than a trophy?

Yeah easily, but it wouldn't be a Trophy or Red!

I'm being unrealistic anyway, I can't have a Trophy and a GTI, no point really. If I had a Trophy i'd want to keep it good/tidy which would defeat the purpose of getting one for the track.

welshpug

paint it red and make it faster.

• Like 1

dobboy

I've thought about that WP, maybe look at the cost of a wrap.

I've found a low mileage well maintained 172 near me for 850 quid

dobboy

I took the GTI out a spin yesterday as the weather was great, it feels very powerful and heavier compared to the Saxo, and very civil as there is not a creak from it inside or out, everything feels perfect on it, you just have to be like Charles Atlas to turn it!

I've advertised the Saxo for £1800, is it too ambitious? (I've not had a single text about it)

https://www.gumtree.com/p/citroen/saxo-vts-track-car-106gti-rallye-tran-x-rally-quaife/1165497014

Last night I started working on the CJ, cos it's getting punted soon too.

It's always took a little persuasion to start if it's sat for a while and someone had told me it was probably an air leak on a diaphragm on the carb, causing air going into the fuel line when it sat for any length of time, and cos it's a mechanical fuel pump, it needs to crank for a wee while to bring the petrol back to the carb.......does that sound feasible? Last night I noticed and repaired a kink on the fuel line underneath, but haven't tried it again to see if it made any difference. Once it's been stated it will start first click all day long, but the next day it takes a little bit of cranking again.

The MC is away on it I think as there is no front brakes, but the pistons and callipers seem free enough.

I'm hoping it won't need much else for an MOT, and will be sad to see it go as it is good fun to drive, but we just don't get the weather up here to justify keeping it, and I want some space back in my garage, and I believe someone at home is trying to enforce a "one in - one out" policy.

calvinhorse

On the Cj, can you see the fuel filter? Sometimes fuel runs backwards when the engine isn't running and makes it a pain to start.

Make sure your fuel line isn't taking a crazy corse to get to the pump.

Could also be I worn out pump

That's all presuming it's a mechanical pump

• Like 1

dobboy

Hi Calvin, I can see the fuel filter, the fuel pipe follows the original route I think, but I was surprised to see it looked as though it's done it what looks like water washer pipe, but it all looks original.

The car has less than 50k miles on it, so I assume it's all original.

Yeah I think what your saying is happening with fuel running backwards, but thought it was an air leak or something causing it.

Wallby

Could be worth putting a one way valve in to stop the fuel running back?

• Like 1