• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dobboy

[Engine_Work] Dobboy's Clean-Up / Gti6

dobboy

Could be worth putting a one way valve in to stop the fuel running back?

Great idea!, looks a cheap fix too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Hose-Non-Return-Check-Valve-One-Way-Petrol-Diesel-Oil-Water-Bio-6-8-10-12mm-/381261278476?var=&hash=item58c4f16d0c:m:maykqSLVzi-TuGFJgBM0OBw

I'll just need to confirm that fuel is the problem which shouldn't be difficult.

Edited by dobboy

calvinhorse

Can the pump draw fuel past the one way valve tho? The pumps do next to nothing on a good day, something like 3 psi

• Like 1

dobboy

Can the pump draw fuel past the one way valve tho? The pumps do next to nothing on a good day, something like 3 psi

Think so, it must be designed for it, it says

"Function:prevents fuel from returning back to the tank and keeps it in the line.

Fitement:Fit for Carburettor and low pressure fuel systems

Package includes: 1 x Non Return Check Valve"

Wallby

I had fitted one similar to the one posted on my rallye. Had a similar problem where air was getting into the fuel system and the electric pump was struggling to pull the fuel past the air block. I was running a low pressure facet type pump and this valve did help.

The valve should give little resistance if your pulling fuel through the right way.

• Like 1

dobboy

Strange, but it started first click today. I'm wondering if it was something to do with the kinked fuel line.

But stranger is this, the front brakes had been non existent, but when I checked out the calipers they were fairly free. So I assumed the MC was goosed as it didn't look in very good shape and the brakes weren't operating. So replaced MC with a new on, topped up fluid, and tried to bleed, but eff all comes out the nipples.

The pipes don't look too bad, and I can't see two completely failing, and there is no leaks etc.

Any idea?

Edited by dobboy

Anthony

Pressure bleed it - sometimes new MCs are a pain to bleed using the conventional pump the pedal method.

• Like 1

dobboy

How do I go about doing that Anthony?

j_turnell

I use a Gunson works off your tyre pressure to push the fluid through. I'd try cracking the nipples off at the MC first though and make sure you have fluid there. Then try and bleed.

Anthony

I've got a Gunson one like James, but I would recommend filling the reservoir and connecting the pressure bleeder dry rather than using the bleeder as they suggest full of brake fluid. It's slower as you'll need to disconnect it to refill the reservoir periodically, but you avoid the risk of getting brake fluid everywhere if the fitting leaks (which unfortunately it does seem prone to doing on 205's - I never have issues with 306's though despite the fitting being the same IIRC)

The other bonus to pressure bleeders is that you don't risk killing older MC's when bleeding the brakes, which is a danger using the "pump the pedal" method. Not an issue for you with a new MC of course, but worth keeping in mind for old ones.

dobboy

Yeah James, that's what i was planning on doing.

Thanks chaps, i'll need to see if i can borrow one from somebody.

dobboy

Wait to you hear this.

I spent the afternoon messing about with the brakes. Got the GF out to pump the pedal, nothing, she went indoors. I loosened off fitting at MC and saw some fluid, got GF out again, pumping pedal nothing.

Went seen a mechanic, he said same as Anthony, but he couldn't find his bleeding tool, but said leave nipples open a few hours, which I did.

GF out again pumping, nothing.

Then I tried a wee while later and fluid spat out.

Got GF out again pumping, nothing.

I thought, while we're waiting on fluid travelling to calipers, put it in gear and run it to clean the discs up a bit.

Then I heard a giggle.

She had been effin' pumping the clutch every time!!!

What a moby!

I thought it was odd I could hear the resident squeek from the clutch pedal when she was pumping, but thought no more about it.

So now they are bled but think the discs will need changed, the brakes slow it down but you couldn't stop quick, and I've noticed the inside of the discs are quite corroded.

Changed Gbox oil also for something to do.

Driveway is a shambles with fluid spillages.

• Like 1

Anthony

Does she normally drive an automatic or is she blonde? :lol:

• Like 1

dobboy

Does she normally drive an automatic or is she blonde? :lol:

Neither, she just acts blonde now and again ????

calvinhorse

Omg :D

dobboy

Omg :D

yeah Omg.

Aye, but worse, the reason i pulled the CJ out of hibernation to begin with to get legal for selling etc is her idea, but we both took it a spin today and then she say's "you know, i'm not sure i want to sell this, it looks fair smart and i really like the smell of the interior"

I'm sure she'll come to her senses when she finally wakes up from been hit on the back of the head with a breaker bar.

• Like 1

dobboy

I've been to see a 182 but didn't fancy it after having a go of it, it was completely standard but cheap.

But I have bought a car, paid deposit last night, and collect it tonight, and my first impression of it is I love it!

epqiit.jpg

sb3211.jpg

294lbuq.jpg

It had a private plate on it up until a few days ago, hence why no plate on front. It's high mileage but very well maintained and all stamped etc, but is nice and quiet and feels quite tight.

I just know that my GF is gonna fall in love with this car when she sees it and it won't be getting stripped for track..... boooooo...... it's got 2 previous owners with a girl owning it for the past 4 years. The girl works for a car garage so it's been looked after according to the books etc. She was gutted when I said i'd take it and handed her the deposit.

I'm not 100% sure exactly what it is called, but I think it's a "Mini Cooper S JCW", which is either meant to be 200 or 210bhp. If anybody knows more about them let me know please.

309jazzpanda

John Cooper works?

Edited by 309jazzpanda

Kane

Early cooper s models were plagued with gearbox/clutch issues although I think this has been rectified in recent years.

dobboy

​

Early cooper s models were plagued with gearbox/clutch issues although I think this has been rectified in recent years.

I read that too. But with the mileage that's on it it would have been sorted by now. The box felt really good on it.

​

​

John Cooper works?

I think when you bought them new you had an upgrade option(s) warranted by BMW.

Mine (I think) has a ported head, different intercooler, possibly a different inlet/filter, different injectors, maybe a remap, and likely a different exhaust (as I saw the works logo's on the tail pipe. The original wheels may have been different too, although the first owner must have changed them to Team Dynamic wheels.

​

​Hopefully find out more about it when I get it home, info on the tuning packs available seems a bit thin on the net.

​

​

welshpug

There's quite a lot available for them, though more for the later turbo engines.

dobboy

Here's what wiki says, and I think mines is the R53

Cooper S R52 and R53[edit]

The first JCW Tuning Kit to be made available for the Cooper S was an upgrade for the Cooper S, producing a total of 200 bhp (150 kW). Released in 2002, the kit consisted of the following components:[3]

Uprated cylinder head, gas-flowed and ported

Uprated supercharger, faster-spinning

Uprated spark plugs

Uprated exhaust system

Remapped ECU

Decorative badges, individually numbered engine plate and certificate signed by Mike Cooper

At the time, the kit could not be factory-ordered, but had to be retrofitted at a Mini dealer, but from late 2005 the Cooper S could be ordered with the upgrade straight from factory.

In 2005, an additional upgrade was launched that increased power further to 210 bhp (160 kW), with the following components:[4]

Uprated injectors

Remapped ECU for the injectors

Uprated air intake system and air filter

A "JCW Sound Kit" was made available at the same time, consisting of the cat-back exhaust and the air filter, giving a sportier exhaust note and a 3 bhp (2.2 kW) power increase for around €1100.

Dj_mini

These are great cars I had one from new for nealy 10 years best car i have ever owned you wont regret it!

• Like 1

dobboy

Thanks DJ. You wouldn't happen to know what the little plastic key thing is for in the passengers glovebox? Could it be to store locking wheel nut key?

That's it collected and I had a wee blast in it last night. Think it could benefit from better suspension though, and a vibratech engine kit, a strut brace and decent front pads, but for a road car it's perfect, and I'm well chuffed with it. It starts on the button and there no odd engine noises. Nice soundtrack inside too from the charger.

And whilst going through the paperwork I've found the JCW certificate and brochure which the previous owner thought they never had. Handy.

dobboy

The Saxo is sold and went away last night :unsure:

I had it all washed up for the guy coming and it started snowing. It's been a good wee reliable car but just not fast enough for my local track.

But the neighbours will be happy! :lol:

xontpj.jpg

I've done that many deals with Saxo parts and the regi plate etc I don't know how I've came out the other end financially, I think I might have made a little but it probably wouldn't cover the time. Can't say I really enjoyed working on the Saxo either as most of it was done during winter outside, and was a bit of a scrapheap challenge.

Anyway..... my new mini. It's fantastic. It's a proper rocket and I get scared driving it. It's gonna take a wee while to build up some confidence in it as it's a totally different car/weight from the 205 or Saxo, but it will come.

You boot it through the gears and look over to the not so handy speedo and see it's well over XXXmph and still pulling like you were in 2nd gear.

I've learned that an ATB diff was also an option with the JCW's so i'm gonna jack it up and cross my fingers that the first owner sp[lashed some cash. I think there is every chance they did as the 2nd owner only maintained it and some of the trim/wheels etc isn't standard.

Spent a few hours wiping tar off the back and sides of it with WD40, the back was particularly bad, and a little time cleaning up the bay, and ordered a new IC clamp. The parts seem readily available and prices seem ok from the dealers.

10qwfnb.jpg

Might try book some track time so I can get a good shot of it, and see where my Saxo money will no doubt be spent on it :unsure:

Tyres, brakes, and suspension I recon.