• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dobboy

[Engine_Work] Dobboy's Clean-Up / Gti6

dobboy

Me and HappyPatrol set about changing our SC pulley's.

We met at his and set about stripping our cars down as per a DIY video on YouTube.

With the cars ready we started on his and had it changed over fairly quick and easily, from stock to -17%.

Then mine.

I hadn't realised that mine already had a reduced pulley on (-11% as part of JCW kit) this meant that the removal tool/clam/puller was too large, but we decided to give it a go and past the point of no return quickly.

The pulley bent and it meant HappyPatrol set about grinding it off a little bit at a time, so as not to damage the shaft.

3hrs later it was off and the new one was on.

My VIbratech mounts had arrived early so I fitted them whilst the car was up and existing mounts were off.

Our Mini's and HP's GTI.

2wewcol.jpg

We finished at 1.30am this morning and took them a quick blast to see if there was any difference. It was lashing down so we were just wheel spinning.

I noticed mines was very noisy inside and suspected I'd done something to exhaust whilst jacking up engine, but now I think it's just the mounts that are a bit harsh (competition versions), and I'm hoping they settle a bit.

I took it a quick blast this morning and I'm well chuffed, although it's loud inside now and a few more interior rattles present. If the top mount doesn't soften up in a few weeks I think I'll change the rubber insert to the fast road version.

The joys.

dobboy

My copy of the CD slot mount arrived from China, and it seems very good quality, a bargain for £4 odd, (my CD's skipped anyway so never really used it).

16ld43o.jpg

It let's me fit my tablet, and I can use it for my phone. I'm interested in my inlet temps and how they behave with the IC. The tablet vibrates a little because these engine mounts.

2cfoz5y.jpg

I've done a few miles since changing the mounts, and they have settled a little, but still a bit too severe for the road up to 2.5krpm(ish). Rattling dash, keys, coins etc.

So I phoned VibraTechnics to ask about changing the insert on the top mount, and unfortunately with this particular mount the insert can't be changed. Bugger.

Very helpful guy and he referred me to their F.A.Q's...... http://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/faq which is worth a read.

I thought I had noticed quite a bit of difference in how the car handles before reading the FAQ's ^ but thought I might be imagining it, apparently not. It used to feel that there was a big mass that followed directly after heavy breaking, on KH it felt like this weight sent the car wide going into corners (and then it struggled for grip on the exits maybe because the rARB was too soft?). So with the mounts and bar changed I think it's gonna be much much better, the car feels so much tighter and responsive.

I've picked up a couple of small bargains for it, front lower rear wishbone mounts with new Powerflex bushes fitted, and also a nearly new set of front brake calipers.

The reduced pulley has also proven to be a brilliant bang for buck upgrade. From 4kRPM in 2nd, up the gears, it just keeps pulling and the whine from the charger.......

No doubt it won't feel as quick on track but on the road it's more than adequate..... at the moment :blink:

dobboy

A little update.

A month or so ago I bought a non running R53 Mini Cooper S to tinker with and punt. Eventually fathomed out that a combination of duff fuel, duff spark plugs, and a stretched timing chain were the issue. Managed to fix it and get it running nice.

Found a cheap set of 2nd hand Eibachs for it and fitted them, front and rear, and gave it a full service, changed a driveshaft and a hub, fitted some Mintex 1144's to the front of it, changed the brake fluid, replaced the manifold/downpipe, droplinks, and gave the inside a really good clean. Also done the engine bay with "GUNK" which is a great/cheap product that brought the bay up well.

So yesterday, it went on all fours for a quick spin and a decent wash, and when I source a couple of cheap good tyres it's ready for an MOT.

Think I've spent about £1350 in total on it to date, although I've still to get the back windows tinted (£100), a dent pulled from the bonnet. Might have to change the 1144 brake pads as they are a bit too screechy, but i'm hoping they'll quieten down a bit when run in as standard stuff isn't sufficient for these cars.

I'm fair chuffed with how it's looking.

op8ldf.jpg

e0kd9j.jpg

• Like 1

dobboy

Got the back 3 windows done last night, Limousine black, using a SunTek product. Windows look pitch black from outside, but you can see alright out them, quite dark though with a black interior.

Turned out the guy only lived 5/10 mins from me, so he picked the car up with trade plates and took it away to do at his home.

He was only an hour or so with it.

Crap photo, but the car looks absolutely brilliant with them.

I was wanting to see it getting done but I didn't ask to go with him.

2csfo6q.jpg

Say's it will take a couple of day's to fully dry/cure.

I didn't realise that this stuff gets fitted on the outside, then removed, and refitted on the inside.

Only negative is that it shows all the scratches on the rear window from previous owners using ice scrapers.

The guy say's the car drives really good too, although he say's the brakes do a bit of squeeking. Might have to change the 1144's for some standard Brembos.

Ah well, another job done..... still need at least one tyre.

Edited by dobboy

GLPoomobile

You really need to start a new misc project thread for all these cars. The content bares no relation to the thread title anymore. Not having a dig, just sayin.

• Like 1

dobboy

You really need to start a new misc project thread for all these cars. The content bares no relation to the thread title anymore. Not having a dig, just sayin.

Yeah you're probably right GLP..... hopefully that's me finished under a car for a wee while anyway. :mellow:

dobboy

Mini2 got delayed a bit due to an operation on my thumb. Sold the family car last week and didn't particularly like the GF using my JCW for shop runs etc.

So I fired on it's new wheels and tyres and sent if for an MOT yesterday morning and it was on the road by lunchtime.

Total cost of about £1700 and a fair bit of effort/time, but it shouldn't need anything for a long while, and I've learned quite a lot getting it up and running etc.

It goes really well, silky smooth, and the GF loves driving it which is good news. Plenty space for the weekly shop with the back seats down.

raumuw.jpg

In preparation for some track days further afield this year, hopefully Croft, I went to see and bought a trailer, and the guy delivered it at the weekend.

It's very very tight to get my car on, 10mm clearance max each side at the front with the TD's on. I'll need to modify it a bit which I think would be straight forward, or fit Mini One wheels I have when in transit as I think they'd probably buy me 10mm a side. Doors clear the mudguards which is good news.

It should fit up the back of my garage with the 205 on top if I organise my garage better. Bit of a hassle but should keep it safe.

2460w47.jpg

Not worked out what I'm going to tow it with yet. :blink:

welshpug

heavy old things aren't they!

regarding the coolant temps, it wouldn't surprise me if they do run that high being a BMW, they do tend to run the cooling systems at a higher pressure and thermostat temps, IIRC mine is 2 bar but unsure of the actual temperatures, its just got a red and blue bit with a white mark in the middle, once it gets to the middle it doesn't move!

dobboy

heavy old things aren't they!

regarding the coolant temps, it wouldn't surprise me if they do run that high being a BMW, they do tend to run the cooling systems at a higher pressure and thermostat temps, IIRC mine is 2 bar but unsure of the actual temperatures, its just got a red and blue bit with a white mark in the middle, once it gets to the middle it doesn't move!

WP, I read somewhere that the these Mini Coolant temp gauges are designed/weighted so that the needle will usually sit in the middle. When in the middle the temperature can have as much as a 30degree swing!..... so probably yours is the same.

jackherer

That's very common, I noticed it in an early Clio 172 recently. It basically means the gauge is no better than a warning light.

welshpug

I think mine is more likely due to the viscous fan coupling, rather than an electric fan but yes newer ones are very slow to respond

jackherer

Does it have an OBD port? If it does you might be able to see the actual coolant temp on a diagnostic device or a phone with an OBD app.

dobboy

Does it have an OBD port? If it does you might be able to see the actual coolant temp on a diagnostic device or a phone with an OBD app.

Yeah, can get lots of info from the OBD on to my tablet, ( picture up above somewhere), the novelty of the tablet in the car didn't really last!

dobboy

Two weeks ago I pulled the car cover off my 205 and thought, Rise and Shine, you've been tucked away too long. The MR2 is gone (pup ate half the deposit!), and the Mini wants for nothing other than a weekly wash.

First job was a coolant flush and change.

Next job - get my garage tidy so that I can work indoors.

Next job was to fit a Baker quarter badge repair kit that's been in my drawer far too long. Nice and simple and great idea from Baker. I glued the studs on with two part expoxy resin and fitted them. Different grommets from what was on my car, mines had black with the three prong legs that spray, but these white ones supplied fitted good. I found some sticky backed draught excluder stuff and made foam washers, although I would rather the foam was a 1mm thinner. I might revisit that later.

11vk7fa.jpg

Next job, which i'm getting through is to get the underside and inner arches spotless. I'll eventually add a hard wearing wax (Collinte 476). I'm gonna spot repair any small chips, surface rust spots etc in one swoop, hopefully on the local garages ramp one Sunday when they're closed.

Armed with Tardis, some chemical resistant spray bottles and a bag of 40 big microfibers from the bay:

Before pic

24azrxe.jpg

After Pic

35d71vo.jpg

Pic of the boot floor with one wipe, agitated with a kitchen cutlery brush, the dirt breaks down and literally runs off it.

2u41w6h.jpg

First pass of the floor, i'll get it better but I'll need to try get some smaller brushes to get into the nooks and cranny's. It looks like a tiresome job, but it actually isn't; big spongy rubber matt, stereo on, and just work away at it. Your face is black though when you look in the mirror though.

qs15b9.jpg

One thing I noticed, is the two 10mm bolt holes on the box section ^ to the right of the slots, they seemed easier to clean as they had a slightly different finish. I'm wondering if I've lost some grommets from them or maybe these were a fixing point from a jig in the factory.

11rbpzs.jpg

k48os1.jpg

I've been thinking about returning it to the 1.9, but i'm going keep the GTI6 in it for the time being and chip away at getting the 8V cleaned up and do the HG/get head refreshed, timing kit etc. I'm pretty sure the bottom end is healthy and it's a bit beyond me to contemplate even opening up.

Fortunately I've never parted with anything that came off the car so hopefully all my parts, bits and bobs, are at hand..... somewhere.

Job for the future but this should clean up well I think.

2vuful4.jpg

The garage is back to square 1.

2wc3bj4.jpg

• Like 3

dobboy

Last arch done tonight.

Before

15c3kl.jpg

10 minutes later

2hdpk5l.jpg

m9mxop.jpg

My hard fuel lines have seen better days. One for me to plan for, as I can't run my existing 16v flexi pipes on Bakers new hard lines, and I wonder why they didn't didn't do them in stainless.

GLPoomobile

And we're back on topic :D:P

Why are you considering the 8v? Anything to do with the rise in values for good OE 205s? Do you not think it would feel like a big step backwards from the GTI6?

• Like 1

dobboy

And we're back on topic :D:P

Why are you considering the 8v? Anything to do with the rise in values for good OE 205s? Do you not think it would feel like a big step backwards from the GTI6?

Howdy GLP, yeah a bit to do with values, but I also like a challenge and to have something to focus on. I watched all the Breaking Bads, and i'm up to date with Better Call Saul, and i'm having a break from DIY, so i have time, tools, and all the parts, and i'm a glutton for punishment. The alternative is "Keep Fit".

It will be a step backwards power wise but my mini has thrills on tap, and anyway, i need to justify getting an engine crane last year :lol:

I remember when I first got this 205 as standard going up the gears full whammy behind a Vectra (or something like that) and the guy was pulling away and I was gutted, but I also remember being out the backroads in the CJ! and loving it's nimbleness, due to it being so light (and probably the skinny wheels), and my stripped out Saxo VTS felt similar.

And interestingly, when I've recorded my lap times at KH, the GTI6 is only a couple of seconds better than my Saxo, (although I had A048's on the Saxo and AD08R's on the GTI6). I'm pretty sure the Saxo made a lot of time up on the windy stretch of the track. My mini would eat them all, straights, windy stuff etc.

I'll be keeping the VTS box, Quaife, and TTV, which I hope will be a good combo, the diff certainly will.

HappyPatrol from on here will have his rebuilt 8V engine in his car soon, hopefully get a spin in it before I start any removal, that might make my decision.

Until then, it's cleaning duties :D

calvinhorse

a big step backwards from the GTI6?

Absolutely not true :D

GLPoomobile

Absolutely not true :D

Depends if we are talking standard "like for like". I'm not thinking about handling benefits by the way. The shortfall in power is one thing but also the way a stock 1.9 delivers it. Each to their own of course but I see it as the inferior choice (again, stock), but then I preferred a 1.6 8v to a 1.9 8v.

dobboy

Here's a pic of the S1 i was previously halfs on. It's an MOT away from being complete.

My friend's done a grand job on it, full engine rebuild, lots of cleaning, paint and power coating. Engine bay and interior are both lovely as well.

It'll be for sale soon (if anyone's interested?) to fund his rallying.

s1hudj.jpg

jackherer

Very nice, what sort of money do they go for these days?

welshpug

varies massively depending on originality and history, 100% standard not rusty ones are very rare!

dobboy

Very nice, what sort of money do they go for these days?

Probably similar situation to 205's in that nobody really knows if the actual sell price is near the advertised price.

I think he said he's looking for £4.5k, I've seen a few advertised 3-5k. I don't think there's many about with the original engine and box like this one, and it's relatively low mileage at under 90k. It's been off the road since 2009.

dobboy

WP, it's reggy number ends "WP" if that's not a sign........ :lol:

welshpug
:lol: i can't afford that I'm afraid, I put about that much into my zx's engine bay :o