• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dobboy

[Engine_Work] Dobboy's Clean-Up / Gti6

dobboy

I forgot to say......

At KH, i've personally seen 3 Evo's dropping their oil when braking hard from high speed going in to the hair pin.

Two weeks ago i saw it happen and the car burst into flames, and the driver got out and opened the bonnet :o

A guy i know was behind another one earlier this week when it shat itself, he was behind it and hit the oil, then the gravel, then the tyre wall .....

he say's its easily repairable, a few wings, bonnet, bla bla bla

But this is the 4th Evo i know of that's done this.......

23j3gah.jpg

Malc

What the f**k are those mats about, were you on LSD when you bought them?

• Like 1

dobboy

The matts are super cool and should help it accelerate, think they're supposed to be flags flying.....being white means you need to take your shoes off before you get in though, so bring your slippers with you on Sunday ????

dobboy

The matts are super cool and should help it accelerate, think they're supposed to be flags flying.....being white means you need to take your shoes off before you get in though, so bring your slippers with you on Sunday ????

dobboy

Got the TRE changed and front and back alignment finished today, they sorted the back, so it's now all on the mark according to spec.

Tried on a 15" wheel, and it clears the caliper ok, but looks very strange, really big gap under the arch.

Will take them with me tomorrow but will see how it goes as to whether to put them on or not. Would like to try keep my 17" tyres in decent nick.....we'll see.

Looking forward to tomorrow. ????

GLPoomobile

I have done a little DIY detailing in my time and I have witnessed the £5 carwash guys in action.

Sitting at traffic lights a short while ago I watch a fella with a mitt. Started on the near front wheel of a car heavily caked in brake dust. He dropped the mitt, picked it up and continued to clean the whole of the nearside car. Brake dust, grit off of the floor and the rest of the crud picked up from the lower regions of the bodywork. While his colleague was 'cleaning' the whole of the offside of the car. Again with one mitt.

Yes, some people are happy with this. The car comes out, sort of clean.

However, you only need a slightly trained eye to see the damage that is caused.

Stick with me on this one.

It's a bit like this photo doing the rounds at the moment.

FB_IMG_1463729158361_zpsxikmk8pw.jpg

What can you see in the picture? There is something there. Once you see it. You can't unsee it. It really is quite freaky.

Some people see it straight away other just do not see it until they are told what they are looking for. Some never see it.

It's similar to car paint. Swirls are pretty easy to see. Holograms on car paint are a bit like the above picture. Most can't see. However, this is where I get a bit weird.

Once your eyes adjust to spot holograms mixed with swirls on bad paintwork it jumps out a mile to you.

Sitting at a busy T Junction the amount of car that go past, dark cars are easier to spot, that go past with awful paintwork is amazing.

Can you please enlighten me? It's doin my effin nut in now!

dobboy

Haha GP..... Keep looking!

Once you see it you'll wonder how you missed it!

I actually thought somebody had changed the picture.

Malc

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it a f**king brick wall! Or is it????

GLPoomobile

Is it something that's blatantly there (i.e. the small bird, or bird like thing in the middle), or is it one of these magic eye type things where I need to go cross eyed and stare beyond the image, get a headache and finally see that a random patern because a VW Beetle?

dobboy

Lol

No "cigar" for you GP, not yet!

GLPoomobile

f*** this s*it, you can all go and eat a bag of dicks

dobboy

GL, it's a cigar poking out a wall!

Can you see it now?

The grey bit is the ash

dobboy

Good day at KH yesterday with Malc in the passengers seat, although a lot of waiting about due to big oil spills and folk coming off. The mini was good but I don't think it stuck like my Saxo (a bit disappointed tbh), but it's certainly faster, however I know what I've got now and can tweek to suit. The mini man who I know up there had a quick feel at the suspension and suggests I get an uprated adjustable rear anti roll bar for starters, so that will be the first upgrade.

Did one session on my AD08R's and was going far too Gung-Ho.

Swapped over to the 15's with the A048's and it was a lot better, but I was still trying to go too fast and missing all the markers/apex's etc, and I still felt the car wasn't sticking coming out the corners, I was braking too late into tight corners and the diff/front wheels couldn't get the grip on the exit due to the weight/momentum. It was hard work driving it.

However, after the lunch brake I decided to slow down and it was looking better until I lost the back end, snaked about a bit, and then went cross country, helpless, and watching the tyre wall get closer. A young dude captured a bit of it and sent me the images.

w9durn.jpg

2nw3ayh.jpg

16kco46.jpg

5ls4s3.jpg

211a2j7.jpg

Stewards got it out and headed back to the pits to assess any damage. No harm done that I can see/feel yet, but every nook and cranny is filled with pebbles underneath, including in the vents of the brake disks and in about the calipers.

We swapped back on to my 17's but I decided I had had enough (I was shattered) and Malc wasn't too keen in having a go in case anything happened. So, as he had came up in his freshly built and road legal SC'd GTI6 we swapped the stickers over and he gave his a blast round, and showed me how it's done! even though it was a 205 in the German cars group and we risked a KH ban if we got caught doing what we done.

One thing I could feel right away the difference of weights in the cars. On Malcs after heavy braking the car is slowed down, and on the Mini after heavy braking you then have the weight of the car pushing you on more to deal with. And the 205 doesn't even have a stereo or air-con lol

So we then called it a day and I trotted home trying to hit bumps/drains/cat's eye's listing to the pebbles bouncing off the floor, and will get it back up off all fours and get a good look at it and clean underneath.

All being well both cars are going again on the 22nd which should be good fun.

GLPoomobile

Once you see it you'll wonder how you missed it!

GL, it's a cigar poking out a wall!

Can you see it now?

The grey bit is the ash

Oh FFS! I'm going to gouge my eyes out and bin 'em. They are obviously fecking redundant.

• Like 1

dobboy

Done a little bit of work at the weekend.

Previously spent a good couple of hours picking out gravel from the vents in the brake disks, wishbones, subframes, bumpers etc.... it managed to get into every crevice possible. Checked belts etc.

I've noticed a random clunk coming from front OS wheel, so got it up off all fours again and gave the car a good spanner check and everything seems fine/tight. But I have noticed the following, and not sure if it's ok or not, maybe someone can advise?

When I hold the OS driveshaft I can turn the outer edge of the brake disc about 5mm both directions, is this normal play for a CV joint, or is the shaft on it's way out?

On fri night I picked up a bit of a bargain, a near new old Airtec intercooler.

The standard intercooler

rwkxmb.jpg

New and old compared, new one is slightly thicker too

25gcgp2.jpg

Fitted the one on Saturday

10i9lky.jpg

Had a quick run in it and I think the car might be pulling a bit better lower down the rev range.

Currently looking for an adjustable rear ARB, a Whiteline 20mm, to replace the OE 17mm. These are supposed to help reduce understeer. I've tried all the usual suspects to get one but they are all waiting on a ship coming in from Austrailia with a cargo of them and it won't be here for another 2 weeks...... I was hoping to get it fitted for the next track night on the 22nd.

dobboy

Had a good 2hr late afternoon/track night at KH with Malc on Friday.

The day started looking a bit grim with rain and heavy cloud but by the time we got on it had dried up. Good variety of cars and people on the track, and as it was open pit there was very little hanging around, we just went on and off as we pleased. Not many yellow or red flags either.

The mini felt good and seemed to handle a little bit differently to last time, slightly less understeer and slightly more oversteer at times. Not really sure why as the only thing that changed from last time was that this time I was in the car myself. I was conscious to put the foot down harder whenever the back moved, and the back was pulled round no problem. Brakes were good too with no fading.

New intercooler seems to do the business and I was reading 110mph up the main straight, and hitting 5th gear briefly which was different from last time. The speedo will be reading slightly out due to the wheels. Not sure what speed I would have been hitting on the back straight but it must be well over a ton, I've got that much confidence in the brakes that i'm probably braking too late and it's the engine mounts that are getting punished going down the gears. I only really had to do one quick exit from track when a Cadbury Double Decker jumped out the door pocket and landed under my throttle pedal!

We only managed to get the cars side by side on the long straight on one occasion, and Malcs SC'd GTI6 has a bit on it, but not as much as I had thought it would.

Towards the end of the day my water bottle was bubbling over, and I was getting a clicking when I let off the throttle, and a slight humming noise that i'm hoping is from the tyres (and not the Gbox).

We finished the day off, and headed back to Malcs for some scran, then out for booze, Pub/Kareoke, and bounced out a nightclub sometime after 3am! lol

A great day/night out.

Got the car washed and up and off all fours now in preparation for a few changes when I come back my holidays, and ready for it's next outing on track.

New 20mm adjustable rear ARB to fit

17% reduction pulley on the charger

New engine mounts

OS driveshaft

Fluids change

NS wishbone mount

That should do it for a while, although i'm keeping an eye out for a cheap wider set of lightweight 15's to replace the 5.5J's.

dobboy

Got a little bit done at the weekend.

Fitted the adjustable rear ARB and bushes (previously 17mm, according to Whiteline the centre hole is equivalent to 20mm, and each of the other holes is equivalent to 1mm, i.e. I can go 19mm or 21mm, but I've set it at middle for the time being.

Car feels nice and planted and doesn't feel any harsher.

Will try it out next time at Track and probably try the 21mm setting as it's just a case of moving the drop link.

r29oo7.jpg

Also bought a OBD Bluetooth Dongle from Ebay and downloaded "Torque (Lite)" for Android. I had a Tablet I got free with my IPhone, and to my surprise I got it all working very easy. With it you can pick what gauges you want to monitor, pick how it looks etc etc. Bit of a gimmick but looks good. I think you can also read fault codes with it but haven't tried it yet, and possibly set up alarms on coolant temp etc.

2hmn2w6.jpg

Have ordered a new -17% supercharger pulley and belt and hopefully fit it this weekend. HappyPatrol (friend from from this forum) is also doing the same job on his R53, so between us we bought the specific tools for the job and will do the two cars together at his place. I'm hoping it should take mines to well over 220/230bhp combined with the IC previously fitted.

Also ordered two Vibra Technics engine mounts as I can see my engine move quite a bit when chugging it with the bonnet open, and i'm collecting two uprated bushes associated with the engine mounts at the weekend from a guy on a Mini forum. Hopefully fit them next weekend.

Apart from that the car is going well and is a joy to drive and it passed it's MOT this morning, and I think me and Malc are doing a 2hr tracknight early September.

GLPoomobile

Isn't it about time you either got a mod to re-title this thread, or split it out in to separate project threads? ;):P

GLPoomobile

Have you got a link for the OBD dongle? I've been meaning to get one for years but I hear hit and miss feedback on them so never bit the bullet as didn't want to waste money on a dud.

Anthony

Is that coolant temperature accurate? 106 degrees seems distinctly high to me, although I don't know Mini's particularly well so maybe it's normal for them to get that hot when left idling.

dobboy

Have you got a link for the OBD dongle? I've been meaning to get one for years but I hear hit and miss feedback on them so never bit the bullet as didn't want to waste money on a dud.

Try this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-ELM327-V2-1-OBD2-OBD-Bluetooth-Auto-Car-Scanner-Diagnostic-Tool-for-Android-/151354108412?hash=item233d6869fc:g:QMEAAOSw-dBTwoEE

dobboy

Is that coolant temperature accurate? 106 degrees seems distinctly high to me, although I don't know Mini's particularly well so maybe it's normal for them to get that hot when left idling.

I think it usually sits about 100deg, but yeah it had been sitting idling for a few minutes, and it's a nice day here for a change..

dobboy

another thing about dongle/App is that you don't need to reconnect every time you start the car, if you leave the dongle in you can just start the app connects automatically.