• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dobboy

[Engine_Work] Dobboy's Clean-Up / Gti6

dobboy

A bit of my progress and what I've been up to of late.

Done all my seats with Gtechniq a few weeks ago.

I bought one of Miles' DP's, but as suspected it was far too short to marry on to the middle section from a new 3-piece type system.

5ck84i.jpg

So I found a handy company on eBay (myriad-exhaust), and he made me up this from a drawing to piece in.

2vafm1e.jpg

I got all underneath the car clean and decided that as I've got no major rust i'm going to do what I can keep it that way. So I've went round all the seams and any metal to metal joints with a few coats of this

2jz9d5.jpg

This paint seems to be drawn to bare/brown metal, and you wouldn't really know it's on, hopefully it does what it's meant to do.

I was going to Waxoyl everything but wanted to keep everything the colour it should be and try keep it tidy looking. So I got paint mixed up and repaired flaky/bare bits where the galv was showing through mostly under the exhaust tunnet/cabin area, which eventually led me to paint the lot. I've given it a good coat of Collinite 476, which is a very hard wearing wax and done the same with under the arches etc.

On the boot area/backend, I've used Dynax SC, which although advertised as being a clear anti-corrosion spray wax it has a slightly tea colour to it, but it is very transparent and i'm happy enough with it.

I've done all the cavities/box sections on the car with another similar product called Dynax S50 which is very dark coloured wax, but can't be seen anyway. Not that anything under the car will be looked at anyway, still, i'm a man on a mission.

I opted for the Bilt Hammer products (Dynax) as I read they blow all their competitors out the water when it comes to hot salt water spray tests. The S50 comes with a ~500mm straw with a fancy end on it (to spray circular/symmetrical pattern) for getting right into the cavities. The cans are highly pressurised so that you can spray upside down etc, very easy to use/little mess, and I gave it a light brush while it was still fluid to keep it tidy. One blunder was a front chassis leg where it made a bit of a mess in the engine bay due to an empty fixing hole, but it cleaned up easily enough with a rag.

Floor with Collinite 476

28s3nvd.jpg

Boot floor with Dynax UC
2vxr29z.jpg

When I fit the exhaust piece the car's ready for an MOT, but i'm now swithering to drop the subframe and get the frame and ARB powder coated, fitting bigger torsion bars, and maybe a light weight crank pulley to go with the TTV flywheel on it.

It's not the prettiest underneath I've seen but it's clean and solid and hopefully will stay that way for the foreseeable.

It's very annoying that previous owners have jacked it up at they bit's that crush at the footwells and on the chassis legs, and i'm trying to think of a way to repair them/pull them back down, maybe ask a panel beater I know what he thinks can be done.

We've got great weather and I want out to play in it and i'm getting fed up rolling in and out from under it. I still need to get it out the garage and get the drivers seat out so I can renew fuel pipe clips and see what I can do to get the fuel pipes looking pretty..... that job may need to wait.

welshpug

does the downpipe have the wiggle in it to align with the centre box?

dobboy

does the downpipe have the wiggle in it to align with the centre box?

There's a little bit of play on both parts, I thought it looked quite square? I don't see any problems?

What are you thinking?

welshpug

wiggle as in a double bend.

dobboy

wiggle as in a double bend.

Nope, I don't think so, it's just a single bend. Just fitted the extension piece and it all aligns nice.

dobboy

Well it's just been MOT'd, then taxed and i might give it a bath and go out for a scoot aboot. :)

dobboy

Had a few miles in it now. I'll need to revisit the exhaust fitting as I can hear knocking :angry: I don't think I could fit the top engine mount buffers for some reason when I fitted the VT top mount, but i'm going to have another go at it as it might help reduce engine movement.

There is some rasp off it when it's revving up, i'm half expecting to see the insides of the back box getting blown out the back!

When I first jumped in I thought, this is brutal. The steering is sooo heavy (VTS De-PAS Rack), to the point that i'll end up wrecking the steering wheel trying to turn it at slow speeds. I also feel i'm sitting far too high, feels like i'm sitting on the car rather than "in" the car.

I'm going to get the torsion bars adjusted to lift the back end up a notch as i think it's a smidgen too low.

The back end squats too much for my liking, would lifting the back up a notch help (at all) minimise this? or do the bars need uprated?

It can certainly shift, or feels like it anyway, and i'm slowly getting reacquainted and re-used to it, but tbh i'm beginning to wonder if it's worth all the bother for a few days usage a year, and I've got my heart set on something else. :unsure:

57aj7.jpg

GLPoomobile

After years of being used to PAS equipped cars, I thought my standard non pas rack in my (ex) 205 was murder on the few occassions I had to move it about.

• Like 1

welshpug

what are the rear dampers?

check the ride height on the sills, they should be level or slightly higher at the back.

exhaust most certainly would knock about if you forgot to fit the buffers!!

dobboy

It's defineately a touch low, it was set up as a guess with no arches fitted, the guy told me it was a smidgen low at the time.

I got the buffers fitted today, had to shorten the thread length of the cabin side one to get it in, and then fecked about for an hour trying to get it tight. ????

One quick 500 yards and it seems to be cured, but the distance between sub frame and DP is mighty close, 15mm clearance or thereabouts.

jackherer

I always used to be dead against VTS racks without PAS, in the past the 205s I've driven like that have been bordering on dangerous. However it isn't that bad on my own 205 for some reason, I've had the parts to fit PAS for a while now but I haven't got round to it because it's definitely usable, it's been about six months now.

dobboy

I always used to be dead against VTS racks without PAS, in the past the 205s I've driven like that have been bordering on dangerous. However it isn't that bad on my own 205 for some reason, I've had the parts to fit PAS for a while now but I haven't got round to it because it's definitely usable, it's been about six months now.

You defineately get used to it, as I was previously and thought nothing of it, but because it's been so long since I drove it I was shocked when I first sat in it. Will see how it is with some miles on the seat and take it from there.

dobboy

Rear dampers are XSara B4's WP.

Mac Crash

it's because you've been used to driving those funny "big" BMW cars with a Mini badge...

Tom Fenton

I've only tried a non power xsara vts rack once. I thought it was hateful and borderline dangerous with the strength needed for quick inputs. With the power on it transforms them into lovely quick steering. Win-win for me.

• Like 1

barneys66

Mine was bad enough with the standard rack, but having fitted PAS to mine at the same time as the VTS rack I'd never go back.

Kieran - have a drive of mine if we meet at Shotley next month.

Dobboy - I think your car is incredible, and this is purely my preference, but I'd really like to see a set of period style plates on there. Otherwise it's perfect!

• Like 1

dobboy

it's because you've been used to driving those funny "big" BMW cars with a Mini badge...

Hey, my MIni's are R53's, the smallest of the lot, not like the newer buses. A slightly fat modern day 205 with all mod cons, and a bit of safety ????

dobboy

Mine was bad enough with the standard rack, but having fitted PAS to mine at the same time as the VTS rack I'd never go back.

Dobboy - I think your car is incredible, and this is purely my preference, but I'd really like to see a set of period style plates on there. Otherwise it's perfect!

Aw thanks Barney but it's hardly incredible by any manner of means.

It's the original dealer plates on it btw ????

Bakes100

Ive got a 2.7 turn rack on mine, without power steering. It is fine but only if your top mount bearing are in good nick. If they are old and crusty it can make the steering heavy.

Edited by Bakes100

dobboy

Although bigger than a classic Mini, the R53 is actually shorter than a 205, so hardly ""big"" :P

1y972t.jpg

r7ktxl.jpg

jackherer

I've only tried a non power xsara vts rack once. I thought it was hateful and borderline dangerous with the strength needed for quick inputs. With the power on it transforms them into lovely quick steering. Win-win for me.

I'm not sure what's different with my 205 because every other one I've driven with an unassisted VTS rack was indeed bordering on dangerous but I've even had a tiny 300mm steering wheel on mine and it was still fine.

Cheers Barney, I'm definitely up for a go although I have fitted PAS and VTS racks to a couple of 205s so I know what to expect.

Ive got a 2.7 turn rack on mine, without power steering. It is fine but only if your top mount bearing are in good nick. If they are old and crusty it can make the steering heavy.

It's funny you should mention that because my offside top mount bearing is making some unpleasant noises and I need to change them both but it's still not too heavy.

If you search my old posts you'll find plenty going back years where I describe a non PAS VTS rack as dangerous - e.g. http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=126352&p=1139516 or http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=93527&p=946237 - and there is usually someone that disagrees and now it is me! The geometry or tyres or something must be affecting it significantly.

welshpug

mine was fine, did 11k miles commuting with it, 309 arms and michelin road tyres.

dobboy

That is strange jackherer. My rack is a Ph2 rack which is 2.4 turns iirc.

Does yours have some oil still in it or zero oil in it that somehow makes a difference?

Geoff Capes would struggle to steer mine at slow speed.

jackherer

All the VTS racks I've ever tried have been the earlier 2.4 turn variant.

There is no fluid or ram etc so nothing hydraulic that can make any difference I don't think.

• Like 1

barneys66

It's the original dealer plates on it btw ????

Well I'll be damned! Carry on ????????

Cheers Barney, I'm definitely up for a go although I have fitted PAS and VTS racks to a couple of 205s so I know what to expect.

Ha! Of course. More than a couple I suspect, but you're still welcome to a play.
  • Like 1