• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

[Body_Work] 1991 Gti Steel Grey Detailing Progress Thread

lightflow

Alex - where did you buy the passenger side ones from? Mine are good, but I might be tempted to replaced and keep them as spares...

ATK

One mirror blank was ok other that been siliconed on, so got a replacement coming next week.

Got my weatherstrips from Spoox, £26.10.

Any members thinking of doing this I would buy some now as they will no doubt go NLA soon!

ATK

Good afternoon for a drive too, just ticked over to 183k miles :)

IMAG2265_1.jpg

IMAG2263_1.jpg

IMAG2262_1.jpg

IMAG2257_1.jpg

IMAG2256_1.jpg

Edited by ATK

ATK

One week on, lots of rain...and a bone dry boot! Farmers aftermarket boot rubber seal did the trick :)

Whole car is now finally leak free...for now!

GLPoomobile

s*it me, I didn't realise it was such high mileage!

Does that back box need some adjustment? Might be just me, but it looks like it's hanging a tad low and sticking out a bit.

ATK

Yup, high mileage for sure! Not sure on exhaust will check tomorow :)

ATK

Refurbished Spoiler arrived from Paul today aka mrfirepro. A few of us chipped in for UPOL products for Paul to refurb the spoilers and I reckon they came out great!

IMAG2329.jpg

Existing spoiler vs Refurb one

IMAG2330.jpg

Edited by ATK

ATK

New Refurbished Spoiler Fitted

IMAG2331.jpg

IMAG2334.jpg

Edited by ATK

lightflow

Alex, from this distance it looks bloody brilliant. Glad I suggested the UPOL and it worked out well! Wish I'd jumped in on the group buy, but I wasn't quite ready to take mine off at the time....

At least we know that produces a good result.

ATK

Cheers buddy all is well so far, finish looks fantastic after a bit of rain and a wash etc.

ATK

Not much by way of an update other than the car overheating.

Diagnosed as fan switch being faulty, plus the low speed resistor for the fan had fallen off and disappeared somewhere!

New rad switch and resistor fitted and all is well again...for now!

ATK

IMAG2381.jpg

What with the new tax disc rules, goodbye current disc and hello to my cars old 1995 disc :)

• Like 2

ATK

Gave the car a good clean and a double coat of heavy duty Collinite 475 wax today ready for winter, and tried out Gtechniq C2 on the trims. Good result so far. Aside from fixing anything that decides to break, only things I've left to do is fit genuine oem brand new sunroof trims, boot seal and rear boot slatted panel. Some pics:
IMAG2493.jpg
IMAG2494.jpg

IMAG2495.jpg

IMAG2496.jpg

IMAG2497.jpg

IMAG2498.jpg

IMAG2499.jpg

Edited by ATK
  • Like 1

Daviewonder

Is that a tiny dent in the rear red trim? :o

:P

ATK

Haha, probably, there are dents in the door panels too :P

lightflow

Looks fab Alex. Did you get the sunroof trim in the end? I would be really interested in a good look at the captive nuts on you sunroof trim. Those that are inserted into the trim itself in the centre (behind the aerial as it were)

My new trim from farmer didn't come with any. I suspect my old trim (when I take it off) doesn't have them or they will be damaged and I don't know what they look like in,order to locate the part number. It's not clear on Servicebox.

Also, how much was you boot trim in the end? Any more left do you know?

ATK

Hey buddy. Not got the sunroof trim yet, gonna be getting it though. The capitive nuts - can't quite recall, i thought there were just two screws that screw straight up into the holes in the trim? Cant remember, I'll take pics when I come to fit the new trim for you.

Boot trim thats on there at the mo I had from farmer, I have a newer one I'm due to fit when I can be bothered. Both are aftermarket panels. Still looking for a gen Pug boot panel though but I think they are nowhere to be found!

ATK

Edit - have a look at this pic (not mine) - you can see the two holes where the sunroof trim screws come out of

P7060029_zpsb0c4bf93.jpg

IMAG2501.jpg

Hiding behind the girlfriends Mini Cooper :)

Edited by ATK
  • Like 1

Alan77

Great stuff as usual, and lovely Mini. Are they garaged? I used to hate having the 205 lashed with rain for months and months, year in year out, before getting a house with a gararge.

ATK

Sadly not garaged, a house move is on the cards next year though with a double garage as a must! It's a pain as I'm always checking the Pug for water leaks after heavy rain!

lightflow

Cheers Alex - yes that photo shows the holes for the screws (machine screws) that go through the sunroof vacuum handle, through the roof and then I believe they actually screw into a captive nut which is secured by the underside of the trim. I think the captive nuts slide into place on the trim and are held there.

When I try to undscrew the screws from the inside they are stiff and refuse to decend - which leads me to think they are bodged/or bonded to possibly corroded captive nuts which are just spinning in the plastic of the trim. My car has had a paint restoration and the trim has been on and off for that in the past

I think I cannot remove the screws without cutting into the trim on top and getting access to the captive nuts/bodge which I suspect is present. Luckily I have a new trim ready to go on.. :-) but I don't have any new captive nuts yet and wanted to locate or order some in advance of removing the trim if possible.

Edited by lightflow

ATK

Brand new offside weatherstrip/scraper fitted today, as sourced from farmer (as usual!).

Close to finishing now. Still wish I bought a red GTi though. Hah!

IMAG2537.jpg

IMAG2538.jpg

Edited by ATK
  • Like 1