• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

[Body_Work] 1991 Gti Steel Grey Detailing Progress Thread

ATK

Thanks dobboy, good to know. Yours looks great by the way, just had a look at your thread again

• Like 1

the matt

I miss this car SO much. But I'm unbelievably happy that you've done it the kind of justice that I could never have done.

Got a couple of Mini projects and a MK1 Astra track car to finish off. Then I AM buying another 205 in steel grey.

ATK

Hi Matt, cheers for the post - didn't realise you were on here!

That rainy day in January when I came up to buy it off you seems like ages ago, even though it was only 18 months ago!

Still going strong, here she is yesterday evening (the lighter area on the passenger door isn't a paint defect by the way, it's just a reflection :) )

A1341982-BC7B-41DF-9E84-18936FC6A9B7.jpg

371A9ADB-9951-4CF8-89A8-5D92EE2FDF07.jpg

6C655FC8-E3CE-4522-9A93-2DC35E53143A.jpg

E83EFD79-C62E-49F7-805E-996FEED98975.jpg

• Like 2

Clarky3rdNut

I have been following your progress with this car and am always very envious when I look at this thread.

Does it need a respray? It always looks fantastic in the pics and I think I would be more proud that the car demonstrates a well looked after, honest and original vehicle than have it looking 'perfect'.

ATK

Hi mate

To be honest, photos always make cars look better I find! There's various car park dints and dents on the doors. Bit of bubbling on bonnet edge and on the rear arches. Probably some hidden rust dotted about.

But it certainly turns heads and looks good, it's basically an unrestored example which has had the majority of mechanical parts and cosmetics replaced.

ATK

Nice sunny day today :)

2EA951D6-8EB9-4742-B14D-1DD7FD3FB408.jpg

1D26B67C-5CDE-4761-B0C3-CC40F7C98B2D.jpg

AAF36589-2908-41F0-AB1D-1FBCD2EAFA0F.jpg

• Like 1

Juttie205

Still looking good mate a real credit to you

DBG

This car looks seriously immaculate. Very nice mate.

ATK

Thanks buddy, but it's far from immaculate - photos are always very receiving. I did consider a full strip down and respray but decided against it and decided just to enjoy it - it's good enough for me.

Could do with fitting a new rad at some point, and the exhaust needs repositioning. Those are the next jobs to do at some point.

• Like 1

DBG

Haha. It definitely looks better than mine :) Don't see many in the grey either. Very nice.

ATK

Great day on the Black Mountain Pass - lovely day for it. Amazing roads, came back with alot less rubber on the tyres! :)

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

ATK

Dragged her out of a 6 week retirement and all is well aside from a dodgy brake light switch. Even the cold starts are still spot on, still suprised that simply changing the fuel pressure regulator solved it a year ago.

End of the month will be two years since I bought the car...

ATK

Not much to report other than the brake lights not working. Brake light switch was faulty so and hour or so later it was fixed after being upside down in the footwell.

Despite it being winter I've been alot less precious about the car and am using it regularly and enjoying!

6C50154E-4E31-46CC-B61D-1A28C4BC4AFA.jpg

• Like 1

ATK

So, today is 2 years to the day that I bought her! Time flies!

ATK

Time for bodywork next, which I am dreading.

Going to take her in for both rear bumper mounts to be done (they are rotted) and both sills being replaced. Had a good scout around and not much rust elsewhere so far that is visible, suprising considering the 185k mileage on her.

allye

Have you had a good poke around the inner wings and front panel!?

ATK

Yep suprisingly all ok!

• Like 1

ATK

So whilst the Pug is in having new sills and rear bumper mounts, it was time to transform the garage for its return! Floors and walls sealed and then painted. Took bloody ages!

1C01A990-56DC-4D5D-A151-96C1F7ACCD80.jpg

0C213607-FA4A-427C-89E6-A2AE3A2558C8.jpg

dobboy

Grand job, looks very nice.... splash out and get a cheap red carpet!

is that a Marshall cabinet in the background?

Edited by dobboy

ATK

Dobboy, i did toy with the idea of carpet but thought it might rot from wet cars.

Yeah Marshall 4x12 cabinet! Greenback speaker goodness!

dobboy

Think i would definitely carpet it and dry cars off prior to bringing them in.....if they need to be brought in.

Use the carpet squares then if any get damaged you only need to replace the damaged ones?, or alternatively, run carpet up the sides only, so you car work/clean in comfort!

I'd be fudging my lecky meter too and heating it in the winter.

Where is all your crap kept?, my loft and garage and shed and industrial unit for that matter are bombsites with bikes, xmas trees, garden furniture, garden tools, wheels, engines, tyres, etc etc etc

ATK

Mini cooper and the 205 live in the garage, I don't think I could be arsed drying them off!

Got a large ish attic in the house for crap storage and there's a load of storage space in the roof of the garage luckily so I can keep it tidy!

• Like 1