• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

[Body_Work] 1991 Gti Steel Grey Detailing Progress Thread

ATK

Nothing to report of late, other than MOT time tomorow - wish me luck!

ATK

Failed the first time, due to some welding being needed to the inner sill. All sorted now so she now has a new MOT ready to be enjoyed :)

ATK

Had some nasty lacqer peel on the driver door sorted today, as well as a machine polish and waxing. Very pleased with the results!

IMAG1999.jpg

IMAG2004.jpg

IMAG2006.jpg

IMG_10105966593066.jpeg

IMG_10101888552474.jpeg

IMG_10093554415439.jpeg

GLPoomobile

Will you just ****ing stop it already!

• Like 1

iPlod999

Come on. Tell me what products were used. ;)

• Like 1

ATK

Not sure on the machine polish but wax was Swissvax Best of Show:). Trins were Plasticare followed by Autofinesse Revive (copied you Iplod999, great combo!)

• Like 2

iPlod999

Best of show. Nice.

Plasticare and Revive is great.

With regular top ups of Revive I have not had to dye my trims in 2 years plus.

• Like 1

acox99

I really can't get on with black plasticare, I find it streaks and doesn't give an even finish. I apply it with a sponge like it says. And go over it like you say.

iPlod999

Are you giving the trim a real good clean before application?

If there are any other coatings on the trim this could be stopping plasticare adhering (?).

I would recommend using a APC, All Purpose Cleaner just like you wipe down kitchen worktops with, and a small scrubbing brush. Give them a real good scrub.

Unless your trims have been previously painted.

If they are 'pure' plastic then there should not be streaking.

Daviewonder

I really can't get on with black plasticare, I find it streaks and doesn't give an even finish. I apply it with a sponge like it says. And go over it like you say.

I have tried sponge and cloth back to back recently and I have to admit that the cloth did a better job.

Just dab/rub it on using a finger covered with a few layers of mutton cloth.

acox99

The trim is clean, and unpainted, I de greased it with brake cleaner prior to plasticaring it and when dry the finish isn't even. I tried using it sparingly and then piling it on and it didn't make a difference.

I will have a go with a cloth daviewonder thanks for the tip.

ATK

I use a normal microfibre to apply plasticare, works well. Always top it up with a trim dressing (Sonus or my new fave Auto Finesse Revive) which blends it all and finishes it nicely.

ATK

Didn't manage to make Pugfest today as planned as the gf broke her ankle, gutting as was really looking forward to it. Did manage to pop out for an hour or so, and took a few sunshine snaps. Should have shut the drivers door properly before taking them, mind. :)

IMAG2011.jpg

IMAG2012.jpg

IMAG2013.jpg

IMAG2014.jpg

IMAG2015.jpg

IMAG2016.jpg

IMAG2017.jpg

IMAG2018.jpg

IMAG2019.jpg

IMAG2020.jpg

IMAG2021.jpg

IMAG2022.jpg

IMAG2023.jpg

• Like 2

ATK

Not much to report really other than racking up some miles!

Couple of little things done though which pleased me :)

Added screw hole caps to the Clarion tape deck.

IMAG2035.jpg

Much tidier.

Also ahd a tailored rear saddle mat through, I believe the original spec mats were a saddle mat at the rear so this matches my front GTI mats nicely, and keeps it OEM. Geeky!

IMAG2036.jpg

• Like 1

S@m

Stunning car, you've done a great job! Steel grey's with the green interior are one of my favourites. Might have to organise some kind of s.wales meet so i can have an ogle of it in the flesh although i'd only have my 5 door diesel to compare - thats not going to go well for me!

Not to pick holes but a new set of rear light lenses would really finish it off - i feel bad mentioning it because the car is so good but the indicators always fade so badly on ph2's.

ATK

Cheers dude :) Always looks better in pics than in the flesh, mind.

Did look into changing my lenses but my rear lights are AXO rather than Valeo so I couldn't find new lenses for a decent price. So the ones on there are the best I could source!

Tom Fenton

Just buy complete Valeo rear light units, I think mine were about £60 the pair new from Carparts4less. The fresh lenses make a big difference plus the reflectors are shinier too which means more light comes out. Which TBH is a good thing on a 205 when you compare how small the brake lights especially are to modern cars.

ATK

Plug and play I assume then mate even though my existing are axo? For 60 I could be tempted.....

Tom Fenton

Yes they are direct replacements. The cars even came from the factory I believe with either/or Valeo/AXO. You'd have to check price as it's a while ago, but I'm sure they were not dear.

cRaig

Yep, still hovering around 30 quid each per light, plus if you spend 50quid on there at the moment you get an extra 5 quid off! (code cp5less) Plus they are now delivering with UPS, so there is significantly less chance they will get lost/damaged in the post! (I think Tom lost a set to a careless yodel driver if memory serves?)

Edited by cRaig

ATK

Will look into new rear lenses then! Were the indicators really that black back when GTis were new?

Tom Fenton

They are complete light units, not lenses.

ATK

Yeah sorry thats what I meant

S@m

They were pretty dark indeed, i was following my friends 205 the other day when we went to pick up my new one. On the one side he was an original faded cluster and on the other he has the surviving new(ish) lense that i gave him from my crashed silver one, the stark difference between them was driving me mad for the duration of our 200 mile journey. I'll see if i can grab a photo next time i see him - really shows the difference.

Part of me still wishes i'd said nothing because this is all a bit negative on a excellent project thread. Sorry.

ATK

Nah its all good mate :) Tweaking here and there is good, dont think I will ever really be finished!

Re dark lenses, I know the new ones these days are black, I was wondering whether they were that black back in the 90's.