• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

[Body_Work] 1991 Gti Steel Grey Detailing Progress Thread

ATK

Fitted my new driving lamp lenses yesterday, excellent product - looking good!

ATK

Driving lamp surrounds rather

lightflow

It looks fab Alex - I like the details - esp the Clarion window stickers (nice), I will be fitting a new Clarion again in the winter and it came with the original stickers (which made me happy). I'll be splicing back in an OEM red plug onto the loom which had been hacked out for an ISO plug. It's the detail which makes me happy too :)

I just received my driving light surrounds from Rob too - really nice work. I have some new originals, but Rob's are much better!

ATK

Cheers dude. Yeah, they are the original windows and stickers :). Windows are a bit scratched but wanted to keep some original details you know?

New Clarion eh - nice one - have you seen what prices they go for on Ebay now!!!

Thought I had finished but I'm about to fit new rear lenses and a new black slatted rear panel and some better sunroof trim - pics to follow once they arrive :)

lightflow

Yes - I have seen the prices on a new Clarion - a couple of months they have changed hands above £500 although there was some "bidding up" suspected. I still have a spare one which is in 9 out of 10 condition...

As for finishing - I keep thinking I am close but there's always more (and mine's not a show car, probably about the same condition as yours..) and then I will have the engine to rebuild one day (although it is running very sweetly at the moment)

ATK

Yeah same here, mine is far far away froma show car but it certainly turns heads and it does look alot better than when I first bought it. Nowadays the big stuff is done it's the little jobs are the most pleasing, keeps me entertained :)

ATK

Couple of jobs last night and this morning. Replaced my a-pillar trim and door pockets with some fresh ones.

Also fitted sone new old stock AXO rear lenses that farmer on here sourced for me. Look much much better, suprising difference really!

IMAG2074.jpg

m@ttc

That's a big difference with the rear clusters.

S@m

Looks awesome!

ATK

Cheers guys, I was half and half about fitting them to be honest as my old pair were pretty tidy, but I'm pleased with the difference!

ATK

Few little jobs done today. Had a very slight leak from interior light, so whipped the console off and siliconed up the aerial base and sunroof trim screws. All ok now.

Just in case it comes back and after reading horror stories of GTi's catching fire as the infra red unit has a permanent 12v feed I waterproofed it in a freezer bag!

IMAG2085.jpg

Edited by ATK
  • Like 1

ATK

My existing sunroof trim was also a bit loose and rattley, had a hard time finding a decent used set until my mate turned up with a spare set for me whixh had ALL clips intact aside from one end locator which isn't essential anyway. Was a bit grey and faded though so three coats of plasticare and autofinesse revive later....

IMAG2080.jpg

IMAG2081.jpg

ATK

Fitted them on and no more rattles. When I was at it I decided to freshen up and paint the metal silver bits that the sunroof glass has along the edges. This has turned silver over the years and was looking tired, so it was time to get them black again.

IMAG2094.jpg

in progress

All done! Much better!

IMAG2098.jpg

IMAG2100.jpg

ATK

Then went out for a blast :) Liking the new dark rear lenses more and more.

IMAG2086.jpg

IMAG2089.jpg

IMAG2092.jpg

IMAG2093.jpg

ATK

The Pug will be my daily driver next week as my Golf R32 is going in to have some paintwork done.

Next week plans are to fit a new rear black slatted panel as mine is losing colour along the top.

Would also like to get my boot spoiler restored but that'll take some thinking.

lightflow

Alex,it looks fantastic- now, having sprayed the side rails you now need to spray the sunroof bolt caps (I used satin black Hammerite on mine) :)

What did you use to spray the side rails - I think I may sort mine too...

ATK

Just a rattle can of Halfords matt black, came out surprisingly well mate :) well spotted on the caps :)

ATK

Exhaust backbox blew up last Thursday so was replaced over the weekend. New handbrake cables fitted too.

This pleased me today - new boot light switch so I now have a working boot light!

IMAG2103.jpg

ATK

Next jobs are to fit new Alpine speakers front and rear which will be arriving by the weekend, and spray the sunroof bolt covers black.

Future jobs I would like to do:

Brand New boot spoiler

Brand New driverside window weatherstrip (outer)

Brand New genuine Pug rear black slatted panel

Brand New sunroof trims

Seems like those four jobs are unlikely due to the fact that those new parts are impossible to find at a reasonable price, if at all! :)

timoth123

Exhaust backbox blew up last Thursday so was replaced over the weekend. New handbrake cables fitted too.

This pleased me today - new boot light switch so I now have a working boot light!

IMAG2103.jpg

are the new boot light switches still available Alex?

timoth123

Perfect! That's exactly the one I need!

Thanks very much!