• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

[Body_Work] 1991 Gti Steel Grey Detailing Progress Thread

ATK

So, the Pug is still in having bodywork done, as ever, digging around unearths more of the dreaded tin worm.

Both bumper mounts were shot.

The inner sills were in a really bad way as well so they are being all sorted.

The rear arch was also thin and split so that is being done too.

The body shop also attended to the under tank area and under rear seats as well as more rot weas found there. In progress pics below....

Just goes to show that under what looks like a tidy car there can be alot of the dreaded rust!

Edited by ATK
  • Like 1

ATK

1_2.jpg

1%2013.jpg

1%2012.jpg

1%207.jpg

1%2010.jpg

1%2011.jpg

1%208.jpg

1%209.jpg

dobboy

Think if I was you I would have stripped my interior out before getting this work done ATK.... is the carpet and front seats still fitted?

Did you/they consider just doing a half sill?.... as in just the back half?

ATK

Seats are out and carpet pulled back buddy. Trusted them as they know their stuff.

Considered just the back sill but the driverside front had some s*itty welding before so for piece of mind wanted the whole sills done.

• Like 1

ATK

Car is back from Body and Soul Autoworks in Cardiff, they did a superb job really happy with the results. Rear bumper mounts, both rear arches as they were thin, under tank and rear seat areas done, as well as inner and outer sills in full. Heres some pics:

ATK

Todays job was to drain and flush coolant and change coolant. All went well so far, I think I've bled it properly as rad heaters fan etc all working as it should and no overheating so fingers crossed!

Mot and oil change next...

ATK

Good detailing session to get rid of the bodyshop muck...

ATK

A1ACCC0E-3A36-4BA2-B8E9-FAB2993D9697.jpg

B937698A-2559-41DA-8D9E-5AD25559AE3E.jpg

44A52332-097C-476A-A1B7-87081F818CEB.jpg

4BEA0E16-A438-4A92-A573-F924212782F6.jpg

• Like 1

Anthony

Looks stunning, as always.

Looks like the bodyshop have done a good job as well judging from the pictures. Hopefully the old girl will be solid for a good few years to come now that grot has all been dealt with :)

dobboy

Yeah it looks splendid.

JamPug

I think your beauty has solidified it to me that steel grey is the best colour for a 205. It looks great !!!

ATK

Thanks for the comments guys. I was very apprehensive about taking it to be done but I an very glad I did.

Looks better in photos than real life, as theres numerous carpark dings over it. Considered having them done but theres too many and it adds a bit of character! Not bad for 185k miles though, still the original engine too!

Bodyshop did a great job. Everything single bit of grot has been sorted from back end to front wings.

Future job in a few years will be inner wings and headlight panels but they are pretty solid at the moment, suprisingly!

It's quite nice now to not worry about using her in the rain ????????

ATK

MOT and oil change today as wellas a bit of exhaust repositioning as it was a bit low.

Sailed through MOT with a minor advisory for slight corrosion on front inner wing. Just surface speckling sorted by a good wire brushing and treating so ok for now. Joy!

TAG

MOT and oil change today as wellas a bit of exhaust repositioning as it was a bit low.

Sailed through MOT with a minor advisory for slight corrosion on front inner wing. Just surface speckling sorted by a good wire brushing and treating so ok for now. Joy!

Are you going to Pugfest?

ATK

Nah Im not unfortunately as got other things on. Maybe next year!

the matt

I keep looking in on the thread as I totally regret selling it. But I couldn't have done anywhere near as good a job of restoring it as you are doing. I only owned it first a short time (basically bought it for a ring trip whilst the mini was off the road).

Talking of sorting rust, I've bought another project that's waaay worse than the 205 was...and way worse than I'd hoped, but I'm hoping it'll be awesome when it's finished!

ATK

Cheers Matt! Feels like a lifetime ago eh! She's going well :) . You bought another 205 or something else?

the matt

I'd love another Pug. But I've already had 3 of them and I've wanted a MK1 Astra since I was 17, so I've got this now:

20160731_184900.jpg

ATK

No updates really other than since having the sills and bumper mounts done, I'm pretty much using it in any weathers and throughout winter where I can. Just ticked over 185K miles.

Next couple of little jobs are to change the gearbox oil and handbrake cables, and that's about it other than enjoying it!

• Like 1

ATK

So yesterday marks the 3 year anniversary since I travelled to rainy Shrewsbury to buy the 205! Time flies!

welshpug

my word, I'd missed the astra, my mate Adam would love that, brown base model with a redtop on bodies too?

ATK

205 has been my daily for the last two weeks while my Audi is in having work done. Not missed a beat - has it really been over three years since I bought her!

DCC you might spot her in the embassy car park if you're around Bridgend...

dcc

I meant to send you a message, i was going to tell you theres another steel grey parked up, didnt see the plate but just twigged its yours :)