• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

[Body_Work] 1991 Gti Steel Grey Detailing Progress Thread

ATK

...and here's a pic sometime later. It's been an enuoyable year! :)

IMAG2265_1.jpg

• Like 1

Juttie205

Just dropped my dimma off today at bodyshop so won't be long before it's the same colour as yours

• Like 1

ATK

Awesome get some pics up when done :)

cti_jim

a set of pressed number plates would finish this car but thats just my opinion :D

ATK

Nah, not a fan of pressed plates myself sorry bud :)

Days like these make me remember why I bought the car in the first place....)

IMAG3367.jpg

IMAG3368.jpg

IMAG3375.jpg

Juttie205

stop posting pics makes me want mine back from bodyshop.

• Like 1

Reebmit

Such a great looking car this one, a real credit :)

• Like 1

scbond

If you ever sell ffs give me 1st refusal :lol:

Already tried that one I'm afraid! Hahaha

ATK

Cheers guys. It looks much better in photos than in the flesh hah hah, got a fair few dings in the panels etc. But she'a a good un, and on 183k miles it's a better car (even before my restoration) than my previous 65k mile cherry red 1.9.

Tom Fenton

Get Kev the dent man at Pugfest to work his magic. The best ££ you will ever spend on it, it is amazing what he can do to lose dents around the panels.

ATK

Where is he usually based Tom?

ATK

New mats arrived today, custom made from France. Really thick pile. Had a set before but they were alot poorer quality so I had them remade. Much better now!

IMAG3441.jpg

Tomorows job will be to clean up the earth for the lights to try to solve my busted indicator. Hopefully just an earthing problem.

• Like 1

ATK

Spent a couple of hours on the weekend cleaning up all the earthing points as my front indicator wasn't working and the rest were clicking really fast. Put it all back together and still didn't work properly. I then figured out afterwards that it was a dodgy bulb holder itself that was causing the problem. New one on order.

Driver side wing repeater isn't working either so next job is to replace the wiring and see if that sorts it.

ATK

All sorted now. Put in a new front indicator bulb holder and that solved the indicators clicking too fast.

Ripped out the wiring to the side repeater and ran a new wire and spliced into the indicator loom and that has sorted the side repeater.

Also fitted brand new side repeater lense assemblies while I was at it so it looks alot fresher :)

ATK

No jobs done at all over last few weeks, all is well for now at least. But we did move house and the Gti is now sheltered from the elements in the new garage finally :)

IMAG3609.jpg

lightflow

Happy Days. dry and warm, and uncluttered.

ATK

Yep :) Funnily enough, now I've solved all my water leaks it's only now she's now garaged...typical isn't it :)

ATK

Spent the last week driving the 205 alot, racked up some serious miles! Running nicely and no issues aside from a dirty front screen!

Had an issue with the window washer not working but this was some dodgy wiring that I spent a sunny afternoon replacing.

Next jobs at some point are to replace the exhaust with an OEM system.

Latest pics:

IMAG3636.jpg

IMAG3637.jpg

IMAG3639.jpg

IMAG3640.jpg

IMAG3643.jpg

IMAG3645.jpg

ATK

The 205 has been neglected a bit recently, not had the time with work commitments to use her as much. For this bank holiday it was time to sort that! One of the driving lights decided to stop working and this was traced to a break in the wiring so replaced that and all is well again. Also removed the heater motor and refurbed that using the guide on here.

Then went out and gave it a food thrashing numerous times over the weekend. It's days like this that I remember why I bought one. Drove round grinning all weekend. Makes all the frustration of s*itty French electrics, water leaks and general creaking and groaning all worth it!

AAD6AF50-8F6F-4A26-9B36-BB5EEE1E71DD.jpg

Edited by ATK
  • Like 1

ATK

Today was MOT day....

....and was an excellent day! Flew through this years MOT first time with no advisories whatsoever.

Car is running great and is a joy to drive!

But I am now seriously considering a strip down and respray to have all hidden rot cut out and repaired. Quite apprehensive about having something like this done though. Pug1off reckon a job like that whilst retaining my engine and all my new larts etc could still cost 3k+. Hmmmm!

welshpug

they're about right really but why would you be asking them? :lol: just ask a local bodyshop, you'd need to strip it apart yourself though.

ATK

I was enquiring with them just as I was curious as to likely cost of a pro doing all the work. And they know exactly how to take apart and put back together a 205 GTi and can source fit and supply anything that is needed. They rebuild completely after the bodywork is done. All adds to cost of course!

dobboy

ATK, i'm pretty sure you'd be more delicate dismantling your car and putting it back together than any "pro".

To give you an idea how long it takes for a novice, iirc, i put mines back together in 4 shifts when it came back from painters (whilst it was away i had every interior part organised/cleaned/(all interior parts power washed. done with revive, and wrapped in clingfilm)/packed and labelled.

You only really needed an extra set of hands when fitting the bumpers/valances, the scuttle panel was a pig...... (for reference mines cost £1800, done with PPG paint, and tbh could do with another finer machine polish.

In hindsight, and if i was you, i'd only get the bits/any rot that need attended to, attended to...... and i'd get a decent PDR man over the car before doing anything..... to minimise filler/sort any slight dings before it goes to any bodyshop.