• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sandy

[race_prep] Our Hillclimb/sprint 205

allye

Speed trap results interesting!

Interesting as in massively quicker than anything in your class and on the tails of the westfields! :lol:

Miles

I've just spied Paul Web in the photo, Has the Green MX5, But hope you didn't upset Spooner too much

Sandy

Everyone seemed friendly!

ibeacham

hiya sandy, hoping to catch up with you and colin soon, it`ll be good to see the car at werrington next year, it should be fun seeing how the 2 cars compare!!

Sandy

Hi Ian, looking forward to that very much!

ibeacham

i think the weight of the driver in the black and red car might not help haha it sounds like you and colin have improved every part of the 205 and that should add up to alot!!!

Sandy

Oh we'll see about that Ian! I'm sure it'll be great to see both cars pushing for it :)

ibeacham

yeah it`ll be good cant wait, hope to see u soon mate

brumster

Question - are the front geometry changes achieved by the subframe and custom wishbone setup, and it runs standard hubs, or are there some custom hubs on there too? Hard to tell from the photo on page 1 as there's no picture of the uprights/hub carriers. Maybe 307 uprights or 405 or something?

welshpug

Have a look at the Satchell Engineering FB page, there's a shot from underneath of the subframe and struts :)

It's on 405/6 hubs and 205 uprights, similar lower balljoint but 50mm strut clamp rather than the 2 bolt type from the 307 they have used on their 106 setup.

brumster

Thanks for the link - I see now. Interesting that it keeps the strut-clamp approach rather than a bolted design. What diameter clamps are the standard 205 struts? Problem for me is I'd hate to have to ditch my Reigers, too much invested in them, but if something similar could be achieved with the standard strut clamp mount as the 205, this would sound promising.

welshpug

standard size, 50mm IIRC.

Sandy

The uprights are 405 or 406, can't remember, alot more inset on the top than 205. But the important reason is to have the screw in bottom joint location, which allows a much stronger connection than the pin/clamp and a useful relocation for improved roll centre.

brumster

Super, thanks. Might have a think about this, see how much effort it would be to implement on my car - would like to get it a little more stable on some of the types of roads we're now looking to compete over (ie. bumpy!)....

Sandy

First event of 2013, Mallory Park tomorrow. Due to work commitments I can't go sadly, but Colin, Dave and Paul will be there.

Batfink

I'll be there supporting!

Sandy

I can barely believe this, but in the wet, Colin took nearly 2 seconds out of Keith Murray's 4WD turbo Audi 80! I wish I'd been there to see that. Only beaten by 3 single seaters.

Mallory01.jpg

welshpug

Awesome :D

Quattro advantage showing itself in the significant 60ft margin, but to pull that much on the top speed is impressive :D

• Like 1

Batfink

The Quattro was too stiffly sprung for the wet conditions and did not make a good job of putting its power down well. Murray had to back off round some of the corners where Colin was at full chat. I don't think they were too happy that Colin was faster throughout the day and held fastest overall time until the single seaters got more favourable conditions. I'll write up the day tomorrow morning with pics and video!

• Like 1

kee

i'll stick to the production class until this car retires I think :D

DRTDVL

I can barely believe this, but in the wet, Colin took nearly 2 seconds out of Keith Murray's 4WD turbo Audi 80! I wish I'd been there to see that. Only beaten by 3 single seaters.

In NZ you wouldn't be in the same class, Turbo and Supercharged engines have a multiplication factor of 1.7 X the cars CC rating to determine their class and Rotary engines have a multiplication factor of 1.8 X the cars CC rating to determine their class.

Sandy

In most disciplines here it's 1.7, it's only Sprint and Hillclimb that allow 1.4. Given the power that's possible these days with good driveability, they ought to update it really.

wardy18

I want to come play..... :angry:

Batfink

Heres my writeup....

I arrived just after the morning testing and it had not been a good start for Colin or Paul. This was down to tyre choice and the sheer volume of water heaving down. To make matters worse it all turned to snow and an early lunch was called. The car was ready to run on last years slicks that had been grooved with some tread pattern.

The good news during lunch was the weather started to clear and at last we had an opening.

Colin went out and although there were some points with a lot of water on the track was pleased with the speed of the car. Colin was 3 seconds faster than the Quattro amid claims of issues with boost. Off the top of my head I think Colin pulled a 69 second lap and they were in the 70's. Paul had struggled to get on the pace, with little slides and other niggles meaning he was on catchup! His first timed run was not going well when he missed the second chicane. He carried a lot of speed up the hill towards the hairpin but then disaster struck. He didnt manage to heel and toe on the downshift and locked the front end. He careered off the track and crashed. Colin held fastest overall time at this point, but the single seaters were starting to find some grip and this was duly beaten.

We ended up running over to where had been removed off the circuit as Paul was off to the medical centre. We pulled the front bumper and valence off, and pulled out the front panel enough for it to be driven back to the paddock. The car was strapped to the van/trailor and rolled back to pull the bodywork out. The front panel was very damaged. We used a lot of large washers to fix one arch that had fallen off, Paul got to work bending the airbox into something ok. Dave as a walking jig to pull the bodywork straighter so the radiator was not touching the dry sump pump, and me with copious cable ties and duct tape to hold the bumper and other wing on. The radiator had a leak so dave removed some fins and did a fix to slow the leak. Colin topped up the water and although the leak was still apparent it was a very slow drip - More tugging of the bodywork was needed to get the bonnet on, and Colin hacksawed the valence to give the tyres clearance on full lock. Good enough to race and good enough for the scrutineers!

Repaired the car looked very angry (mainly at Paul)

Colin went out and set a blistering 67sec laptime. Murray struggled with traction out the hairpin and had to back off too much in the corners. Paul went out but the timing failed to give him a time due to water affecting the laser beam so he got another go! Paul went out for his final run and although was fast it was not enough. He managed a 69second lap and nearly caught the car in front of him! He managed to bring the car home in third. It was a long wait as a car had failed to go through the timing beacon and royally cocked up the timing

A8287C6D-3392-40C1-85EE-C1A1A3455424-811

The rival. Second best car there :D On a dry day I think Colin would have struggled to beat this at full chat.

E8056FBE-B54A-4362-94E2-9DDA7BFACD45-811

Waiting to run

C45B84A3-1AA8-42F7-A403-6CF061CBC3AD-811

0D7A81C1-AA6D-4038-A74C-4F89D54B82F8-811

Broken. Here we are checking over the car and getting it drivable to the pits

7277DF1E-049A-4BCC-A567-8F62F41224F7-811

Emergency Fix. Only people not happy to see this run again were the Dynalinx team. I'm not sure they had expected to come away with anything but a win.

Edited by Batfink
  • Like 2

brumster

Sounds like we both had similar days - I was on a rally at Weston Park and ended up with a very similar front issue after nudging a bale :) !! Bloody slippy day wherever you were, by all accounts.