• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sandy

[race_prep] Our Hillclimb/sprint 205

Batfink

Its been so long since Colin drove his blue one that he cannot remember. He last drove that something like 6 years ago now! He's very happy with this one though! It should be a better car as its evolved from the previous ideas.

clen666

What spec material did you use for the diffuser?

Aluminium? If so, what thickness did you use?

Thanks

Sandy

Colin's remarks so far have been that the new car feels chassis wise quite like the old car, but rolls less (that's relative). As Kev says, alot of time has passed! Engine wise, on the two events we've done, the power you can use, so to speak, has been much the same as the old engine, just using less throttle; having to meter it out rather than just nailing it everywhere. On an event where the engine gets properly wrung out, the difference will be of more use. Low down driveability has come a long way obviously, his old engine wouldn't have pulled second out of chicanes as cleanly.

The diffuser is aluminium yes, but what material exactly and gauge I couldn't tell you.

Edited by Sandy

alexcrosse

Alrite. How many plates are you running on that 5.5" and what friction material? I assume being JRE linked its a superclutch? Cheers, Al

Sandy

Twin plate sintered. It's AP, Colin picked it up a while back secondhand, but we had to replace the plates.

alexcrosse

Ok cheers. Trying to get quotes at the moment but prices seem to have gone up in the last 2 years, superclutches used to be affordable. I also have a 5.5" ap but its a carbon triple plate and don't fancy bills over 1k each time I have to replace plates.

welshpug

Don't kick it and you'll be fine, you're only using an 8 valver anyway :P

welshpug

crikey, a fair trek! can see and hear the whole circuit there :D

• Like 1

eeyore

Sandy's mistake, it's next Saturday, 13th Oct. And yes, a fair trek!

Rippthrough

Ah that's a bitch, RR day, I was gonna come and watch.

Sandy

RR day??!! That's the worst excuse I can think of!

Batfink

What throttlebodies went on? Did Colin make his own?

Henry 1.9GTi

just read the whole thing Sandy, wow :)

really fancey coombe so may give you a shout, weather dependant ofcourse!

Sandy

We did our own inlet (to suit my special head) and trumpets, but the bodies were from a new supplier, we're testing them. Can't say anything more than that at the moment.

See you then Henry, all being well! Good day today, enjoyed it :)

Edited by Sandy

welshpug

When is combe?

Tapered or straight bore bodies? I noticed the trumpets are much straighter bore than my jenveys.

HERMAN

Sorry I have got heavy eyes this evening. Does this mean you guys are going to be at curbrough on the 13th?

Neil

Rippthrough

RR day??!! That's the worst excuse I can think of!

Well, probably, but the rolling road is 5 minutes away, and Curbough is 45, and I'm a lazy bastard :D

Sandy

Fair play!

Yes, we have an entry for Curborough Sprint on the 13th October.

Bodies are straight bore and trumpets have a gentle taper, but the way I do it, the size progression varies throughout the tract, it's not a steady taper all the way as is often favoured, for no good reason I can see. Look back and you'll see I tried full taper Jenvey trumpets and lost a load of power! My engines are heavily focused on pulse tuning though and very sensitive to the tract design.

• Like 1

stef205

Sandy did you get my pm?

(null)

Sandy

Sorry, I've got a huge PM backlog that I work through as best I can!

stef205

That's understandable :)

Edited by stef205

HERMAN

Had a run over to Curbrough today to meet Sandy, Colin and have a look at the car. The noise that car makes is awesome. Really great blokes and a really great car, some very cool ideas. Quickest in class all day long.

Not only can they build great cars and engines but Colin can drive as well.

Cheers

Neil

Sandy

It was great to meet you Neil, it was a long day for us but a good day! We won the class by quite a margin and Paul's 33.02 was well inside the HSA class record, but not being HSA registered it doesn't count and the Curborough outright class record of 32.27 was out of reach this time, might take some beating that! But nevertheless, fastest saloon on the day, by 2 seconds or so I think and we thoroughly enjoyed it!

Video from practice, commentary a bit "high in the mix":

Spoox 205 also in our class...

Photo0661.jpg