• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sandy

[race_prep] Our Hillclimb/sprint 205

Reebmit

Yeah saw it, another awesome effort by Colin, had a good natter with him too. His friend Dean I think was in the 106, he posted a time just into the 34's.... really good result. Also saw the very quick Audi 80, so quick!! Shame I didn't meet up Sandy, I beleive you were there yesterday, maybe another day.

Edited by Reebmit

Sandy

In the end I had to go on Saturday to help a customer with some data logging. Both days not possible due to family commitments!

Colin passed the hill at a best of 33.15, only giving away 11/100ths to Keith Murray's Audi which took a 33.04. Colin couldn't have tried harder and Keith clearly enjoyed the competition! It's great to see both cars out on the same event. The Audi has the advantage off the line, 0.6s quicker over the first 64 feet; but Colin has the edge through the tight stuff.

Dean's 106 (SB 1700) did a personal best and he deserved it, refining his driving is working!

Edited by Sandy

camgti

Whats happening fellas? New season soon?

welshpug

I saw the empty shell a couple of months ago now when I was down to see Sandy for mapping in Launceston, and I popped over to have a peek and collect my new Satchshift.

Its had a refresh and a new colour scheme, some stickers even! and some weight saving, I think a good 54 kg was trimmed IIRC! Running smaller rear wheels with a centrelock hub from a single seater type vehicle to allow a different more suitable tyre to be used so they warm up without running them at such low pressures, still running the same 15" up front.

A few new panels from Tony Palfrey's Maxi composites, carbon kevlar stuff now, smaller battery, some more excess bits of panelwork trimmed off.

and finally a slight alteration of the exhaust, now exiting at the rear instead of the side, I think that's about it, IIRC Sandy has refreshed the engine but its the same one, I'm sure Colin or Sandy will correct me or add more if I've missed anything.

Myself and Goliath attended Prescott hillclimb last weekend for the first non Pugfest event we'd ever been to on the hill, to say it was quite busy was an understatement I think, we got there at about eleven and the overflow parking field was about a quarter full already, unfortunately the Air ambulance was there and silence had fell on the hill as a competitor in a single seater had gone off on the last bend down the bank and hit a scaffolding tower, we didnt hear anything about their condition however they did leave in the helicopter, George did comment that they must be reasonably ok, as "they don't carry dead bodies in air ambulances" !!

Colin and Dave said the car was behaving well, though from the number of competitors there was a very long time between runs and very limited seat time on the hill for both Colin and Paul.

Not sure how many practice runs they got in but they both managed two competitive runs each, Colin managing to nibble a bit more off the record posting a 45.15, Paul was 0.4 off, losing all that in the start I believe!

a few pictures borrowed from Facebook -

11173385_972876639402805_898642392898441

11174977_971686712855131_423136283651835

11156343_971603669530102_815873339175472

Have to say from the outside the car looks impressively composed and never particularly sounds like its having its neck wrung, quite often seems like both Colin and Paul short shift though as the engine has quite a broad delivery compared to the other hillclimb enignes especially some of the massive money single seaters its quite hard to judge!!

Edited by welshpug

petert

I love the new front guards and bumper/air dam/splitter. I was in the process of doing the same on my car but my carbon fibre man has ceased trading. I might just buy them from Tony and save the agro.

allye

Do I spy cornish flags on fluid reservoirs?

TT205

Not been around for some time

Just been on Harewood Hill website and spotted someone called Colin Satchell ;) did a time of 60.73 on May 10th - s*it that is absolutely awesome :P

welshpug

took over a second off Keith Murray's record :D Paul got under keith's record but got beaten by a girl :P

Sandy

After an eventful year, I'm very pleased to report that Colin has won the British Leaders Hillclimb Championship overall, the highest accolade a tintop can win in UK speed events on our first attempt. It went down to the wire with single seater drivers Ed Hollier and Alex Summers running him close right up to the last event, but thankfully he was able to score enough to take the title, despite a driveshaft failure on the last timed run.

BritishHillclimb

• Like 1

robnic

Excellent result well done all involved.

Tuuba

I´m very interesterd about total width of that car whwn it was white and had those riveted arches. I´m planning to get those arches from Maxi Motorsport but i´m afraid my trailer is too narrow :D

They´re telling that it widens up 120mm per side? But as i have a open trailer, what is important is measure from outer tire to another.

maxirallye

Hi, the track width has not altered despite the change in arches, I will measure Colin's next week and let you know. The car fits onto a standard width trailer,as the width of Colin's own trailer was the determining factor, and is aprox 8 inches wider track than a standard 205 gti.

Regards, Tony (Maxi Motorsport)

Edited by maxirallye

Kane

Morning Sandy, was browsing through the build again last night and have a question about how the engine is mounted. I see that the geabox mount has been moved slightly and as i understand it the engine is solidly mounted to the subframe (somewhere at the rear/bottom of the block) which has additional pick ups to connect tubing to the strut tops. The one thing I can't quite see from the photo's is any apparent top mount.

Is all the movement at the top end (i.e. fore/aft during acceleration and under heavy breaking) controlled by the solid mounts at the rear of the block or am i missing something?

Thoroughly enjoyable read as always, definitely better than any of the guff on the telly in the evenings.

Kane

Ah I see now. Still Not quite sure how it connects to the chassis leg as it looks to be floating in that photo.

Batfink

To me it looks like a straight bit of tubing goes from the original block mounting point and fixes directly to the chassis rail with a big bolt from the other side..

Kane

Looks like Colin has taken the leaders championship for a second year in a row, ending the season with a new class record as well.

Congratulations to all involved.

• Like 1

Schumi

Congrats all of your team. Do you know photos all gone from first page of project ?

Sandy

Thanks, we're extremely pleased to have won the British Leaders again and that Loton record on the last round was a fantastic way to bow out! It's uncertain if Colin will compete in the 205 again next season, we're very busy work wise and the engine's done two seasons after its soft rebuild/remap untouched, so it really needs a full refresh to be sure it'll do another; which I'm not sure I'll have time to do this winter.

Edited by Sandy

Kane

Sandy, Is Colin still entering the FIA masters? I see there's a live stream available next weekend, will be good to see how the car goes against the European competition

• Like 1

Sandy

He is yes, should be interesting!

• Like 1

Reebmit

Looking forward to that, its always a pleasure watching Colin on the hills, so well set up and that engine.. this link just shows how little drama and how easy he makes it look... as we know its not... some of the times are quicker than some of the single seaters!!!

https://youtu.be/qlGkSt8JA4Y

• Like 1

Sandy

I'm pleased to report that the Masters went very well and no dramas; I'm particularly relieved about that, because the engine has been in the car untouched for the last two full seasons, so to survive this too and give such a strong performance against the best in Europe (2nd FWD overall and first FWD in his group); is just fantastic.

Here's an excellent sum up of Colin's footage from the event; which improves as he learns the course and pushes harder! https://youtu.be/SME6ifXqvT8

• Like 1

camgti

Great work guys. Im sure youve all put in many hours to get there. Must be immensely satisfying.

Are there any further plans or upgrades to the car?

What about the engine. Are there improvements to be had?