• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sandy

[race_prep] Our Hillclimb/sprint 205

qwerty

That is a beautiful sound track :)

Would be nice to see some more pics of the finished product too :)

Awesome work!

chipstick

My word. What a noise! To think just 10 days ago I saw the engine on the bench undergoing tweeking with a loom etc still to be made, and the shell requiring a few finishing touches and now to see it complete and out testing.

Best of luck with it.

harryskid

Wowee nice one lads congrats. Dont worry about wrapping it up , i'll take it as it is! :lol:

Sandy

Here's the long version of the test day.

We were due to put it in the rollers on Thursday morning and hopefully test that afternoon, but we could not get the thing to start. The map I made on the engine dyno wasn't going to be perfect, but I knew it wouldn't be far enough away to prevent it starting, the other variable was the loom I'd made for the car was not the one I'd dyno'd it on! I checked it all out and it was fine. We eventually deduced a weak fuel delivery from the pump and blamed Dave again (nothing to do with him, but he's fair game). We've used an in-tank pump, the same style as the original type, using the housing but an uprated item; it turned out the joining rubber inside the tank had split and was bleeding off pressure. Colin and Kevin tackled the issues while I went away to deal with other customer stuff. It was eventually ready for the trailer by the end of the day.

Colin and I arrived at Alvin Powell's rollers in Saltash at about 8 am and after a Golf Alvin was working on was moved out, we moved in. Alvin and Jason (JMR) were slightly mocking about the suggestion we'd be at Llandow that afternoon; we weren't put off!

The dyno map as it was meant I had pretty much ideal ignition settings, but for a bit of tweaking on the on/off light throttle behaviour and the fuelling map and transient add/subtract settings would need the most attention. Although the basic frame of the maps can be made good on the engine dyno, you simply cannot replicate how it will feel in the car and the finer points of dynamic use, ie rapidly changing speed and load conditions.

I was working my way over low rpm and light load, when my Lambda started going blank. Typical! I switched to using an AEM last year and have found it brilliantly reliable compared to previous ones, until now. Wanting to waste no more time, we got hold of John (JRE) to pinch his dyno one to get the job done. The car had to come out of the rollers and back in, but by about 10.15 we were going again:

You can see here the strapping down bar Colin and Kevin made, similar to DJmini's:

SepB1201.jpg

Colin was very anxious to pack up and get going, but I wasn't going to stop until I was fully satisfied that the map was good, it's an edgy engine and melting the thing or cursing it to a slow decline with "safe" settings were not acceptable options; it had to be right or very f'ing close and this is where DTA just sings, by ten past eleven it was almost perfect and I was struggling to find areas to improve. I did about three or four of my final check up and down through the higher gears against roller load and brutal on/off throttle, to best replicate hard use. Here's one of those runs:

http://youtu.be/fGU0s_sRzKw

Once I'd given the nod, Colin was flicking off straps and packing like a mad man, by 11.30 we were trailered up and ready to roll!

I hate towing, I'm not a good passenger at any time, but the stress of dual carriageway lane changes, slip road idiots and the constant sickening jerk of the tow is a Migrane fast-track for me. We picked up TIGger Dave at Ashburton and just after Exeter, we hit the crawl. Dave was interrupting his Go-Pro set up and learning curve commentry with occasional Google reports of "Bristol 40 miles, an hour and ten minutes" and so on. Colin rang Llandow, to assure them that we would be there, even if it meant one lap before they close at 5pm!

We crossed the great Wales border posts at about 2.30 and the traffic didn't really improve, the A48 seemed to go on forever, but we pulled through the gates about 3.45pm and the chap who runs the circuit was as warm in his greeting as ever, despite the fact he was keen to get away at 5 sharp! Colin literally ran to sign on:

SepB1202.jpg

Sandy

The front end was still raised a bit from the rollers, but Colin just wanted to get out there and do some laps, in case there was a problem. I had to hurriedly tie up the loom and fasten the switch box while warming the engine up. Dave changed from the "road wheels" to the slicks on the front and we were about ready:

https://lh3.googleus...00/IMG_0947.JPG

https://lh4.googleus...00/IMG_0951.JPG

SepB1203.jpg

Out he went for the first stint and after a few brake dabs to be sure, it wasn't long before he was squeezing the throttle properly on the straight, what a noise; I knew it was likely to sound nice, but I was not prepared for this, an absolute wailing, searing, complex, high and low pitched induction bark that simply made me emotional. Yeah there was alot of emotion involved, we've worked so hard to get it to this point, but despite all my assertions to anyone that would listen over the last few weeks, that I'm seriously considering whether I'll continue building engines (due to the stress, hours and general lack of sense in trying to earn money doing it to the standard I want); suddenly I remembered why. This is why.

https://lh3.googleus...00/IMG_0958.JPG

Colin only did about 3 laps, the super soft Avon slicks are made to work from cold and and any heat build up can destroy them. A cursory look over it and amazingly, it all seemed ok! That must be a first. We had witnessed some blue-ish smoke at times on the straight under the hardest acceleration, there didn't seem to be any reason why it would be burning oil, it hadn't until now at any time and with dry sump it's not normally an issue. There was evidence of tyre rub on the back from the old arch, which may have occurred under extreme squat loading! So hopefully that's all it is.

I asked Colin what it was like and he said fast, really fast! 1st-3rd it won't really take full power, but if you "let it have it all" in 4th and 5th, it tore forward. He was nearing the top of 5th before braking, about 120-125mph.

https://lh3.googleus...00/IMG_0983.JPG

https://lh6.googleus...00/IMG_0985.JPG

https://lh6.googleus...00/IMG_1006.JPG

https://lh4.googleus...00/IMG_1007.JPG

https://lh4.googleus...00/IMG_1009.JPG

We managed three more stints before close and coming in off the last session, we thought if we'd had all day, we might only have done this much. The tyres were on the edge of reason, we knew it worked and we were all very much in the mood for KFC!

Thanks very much to Alvin Powell, John Read, Llandow circuit and I forgot to mention previously, Alex Austin (Powers) torques.co.uk who helped massively with the fuel and oil line components.

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 4

stu8v

"Epic" is a much used word, so suffice to say its I'll just say its "awesome" :)

• Like 1

Cameron

Crackin'. Those fly-by videos sound bloody awesome. :D

kyepan

Yeah there was alot of emotion involved, we've worked so hard to get it to this point, but despite all my assertions to anyone that would listen over the last few weeks, that I'm seriously considering whether I'll continue building engines (due to the stress, hours and general lack of sense in trying to earn money doing it to the standard I want); suddenly I remembered why. This is why.

I'm glad to hear it, in all the senses of the phrase, well done guys, hopefully it will win too!

Cheers

J

rallyeash

good work!!!

Baz

Where's the video gone Sandy?? :P

welshpug

Where's the video gone Sandy?? :P

which one? I can see two, both still there...

• Like 1

Baz

Ohh yes, sorry i'm being a donut, it's on the previous page! :blush:

Powers

Great news. Well done lads. I have just returned from abroad so I missed the final stages.

To be honest from start to finish in 3 months is incredible. Keep up the good work and good luck competing.

• Like 1

petert

Yep, awesome build guys. I've copied the lot just in case this forum ever crashes or dies like AussieFrogs did.

• Like 1

kyepan

Sandy - That honestly doesn't sound like any four pot engine i've ever heard! It sounds different, can't for the life of me put my finger on why.

• Like 1

Sandy

It was a bit different to what I expected. Very pleased with it!

• Like 1

clen666

Amazing, wish I had the skills to do this.

Sounds fantastic too

Bjorn

I'm speechless.. Not necessarily because of the video but more about the thought that has gone into this build..

Loads of respect for the entire build!!

Edited by Bjorn

Thijs_Rallye

Amazing build guys! To hear it going to the revs and gears is mindblowing!

Sandy

Thanks very much :)

CaptainK

Wow Sandy, just wow ! That is an awesome build - just read through all the posts as not been on the forum much recently. Really good to hear ITBs again and see one of your engines running well. Makes me miss my 205 even more now ! :lol:

jonXS

just mirroring what everyone else said, utterly epic work it looks and sounds great. even orgasmic :P :P

Sandy

Competing tomorrow... fingers crossed.