• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

rallyeash

[trackday_prep] 205 2.1 16V Rallye Track Car

rallyeash

oh thanks!

well on the other hand the return pipe is higher than the pump so in theory it will kind of gravity feed itself when the tank is full?

does a Bosch pump suck the fuel aswell as blowing it (for want of a better word) I've never tested it.

rallyeash

next up was to sort the exchaust tunnel out..

originally i picked up an 4-2-1 Maniflow 306 4 branch manifold for £30 rather than spending £500+ on a new one. Only 2 problems with it was it had cracks around all the welds and it was for a 306. I gave it to my old man and the next evening it was all welded back up which just left the problem of it fitting a 306 not a 205. This meant i had to cut the old exhaust tunnel out and knock up a new one... that was 2 years ago now and ever since then the tunnel that i knocked up for it has been annoying me.

i havent got any proper pics but you can just about make it out in the corner of this pic..

Picture254.jpg

So Saturday i chopped it all out and got 1M of 1.2mm sheet steel to make a new tunnel, then when funds allow i can purchase another Satchshift which should now fit where as it wouldnt with the old tunnel.

its still got along way to go but this is the shape all tacked up and fitted, to get the curve and for it to sit fairly close to the manifold i had to make it in sections. Another evening will see it all ground back smooth so it looks much better then weld it all up, clean and some fresh paint.

2058.jpg

Spiky

Nice one :)

rallyeash

dry sump stuff all turned up this morning from Kam Racing..

drysump1_zpsbd7952a4.jpg

test fitted it all onto the sump in my office at work, Boss seemed chuffed!

drysump2_zps90d06092.jpg

eagle eyes will see the satchshift sitting on the desk which im fitting this evening as car is currently at work.

Ive also just re insured it and MOT is booked for saturday morning. Fingers crossed, although moving it this morning it seems to only be running on three cylinders?!

Sandy

Fresh set of plugs. The type I've fitted, not the listed ones!

rallyeash

cleaned them up and perfect again..

just finished fitting my satchshift but it fouls on the exhaust manifold as ive got a maniflow one... more work to be done tomorrow!

rallyeash

Satchshift all sorted, feels ace when giving it some, gears are so close together.

MOT passes yest and 6 months tax purchased so it's all legal once again :-)

rallyeash

pictures!

front bumper off
IMG_2033_zpsfd29b334.jpg

old alternator setup

IMG_2035_zps8177a749.jpg

IMG_2038_zps8f3ee958.jpg

sump off
IMG_2050_zps323e90a9.jpg

IMG_2051_zpsa3102cc6.jpg

IMG_2057_zps707a6b99.jpg

new sump fitted and crank pulley drive fitted
IMG_2064_zps5000f8e1.jpg

pump test fitted
IMG_2066_zpsfd42b588.jpg

alternator now bolts up under here, need to sort an adjuster still

IMG_2067_zpsd77d95c1.jpg

next thing was to think about the location of the tank, i didnt want to put it in the boot because pipework is a pain in the ass so its going to fit infront of the gearbox in a cradle nr the nearside head lamp.

purchased new 19mm oil hose to replace the scavenger oil pipework on the sump

IMG_2089_zpsfd747bb2.jpg

purchased some sheet metal to make it
IMG_2088_zpsfc4fbf90.jpg

updates this evening with tank location and fabrication!

rallyeash

this is where the tank is going to sit...

IMG_2090_zps89f4db6f.jpg

so a cradle to hold it was knocked up, tacked in place currently but will weld it all soon.

IMG_2097_zps33241bde.jpg

tank sits in like so, need to sort a strap to stop it falling out now.

IMG_2099_zpsdc1097cc.jpg

• Like 1

Spiky

just rememebered, the fuel pump running ok now that its not being gravity fed?

rallyeash

Yeah no issues. Nearly ran out of fuel at Combe last time and still fine

Spiky

great news :)

sambaileyw

Hi Ash,

Silent admirer cars absolutely awesome btw.. and the cage :o

Have a question about your suspension setup, your running 23mm torsion bars what rear arb and front arb are you running and what front springs have you got?

Thanks

Shakey_Jake

Dry sump is a proper bit of kit!

Have you had issues with low oil pressure on track before?

rallyeash

Thanks for the comments.

Yep I'm running 23mm tbs, 24mm rear arb and standard front gti arb. I think 300 springs but I can't really remember!

Yeah it is a proper piece if kit! No I haven't but I'm looking at more grip next so I think it was on the edge anyhow....

rallyeash

making brackets...

IMG_2171_zpsf90120b2.jpg

IMG_2173_zps643d4c30.jpg

IMG_2174_zps460145af.jpg

IMG_2175_zps9c63682c.jpg

all plumbed up now, turned the pump by hand to get the oil up around the system, then whipped the plugs out and cranked it over. got 2 bar on the gauge so everythings working as it should. when the engine is started pressure will rise up alot more and i might need to adjust it on the pump but before all that i need to get the coolant plumbed back in...

Shakey_Jake

Thanks for the comments.

Yep I'm running 23mm tbs, 24mm rear arb and standard front gti arb. I think 300 springs but I can't really remember!

Yeah it is a proper piece if kit! No I haven't but I'm looking at more grip next so I think it was on the edge anyhow....

Yeah, better safe than sorry with that engine!

chipstick

Looking good Ash :)

I notice you've bolted the oil cooler directly to the bracket without any rubber buffers. I understood the coolers are quite sensitive to vibration?

Spiky

mines effectivly the same (behind fog lamp holes)

never had an issue :)

chipstick

I'm intending to pop mine behind a rallye blank. Hopefully there's sufficient room. Got any pics of yours squeezed in behind there Steve?

Spiky

here you go

DSC_1413.jpg

supercharger cooler on left,

oil cooler on right

rallyeash

My old wet sump setup the cooler was bolted directly and that has been fine for 2 years and 20+ trackdays so I'm sure it'll be ok.

I could rubber mount it as there's room to but I don't really see the need on mine

rallyeash

its alive once again!!

oil pressure is holding a strong 4 bar from cold to 10 minutes running time.

click the pic for a video!

before anyone says anything the breathers are bodged blocked up so i could run it up

th_IMG_2203_zpsa198ab3c.jpg

Edited by rallyeash

rallyeash

got the alternator side of things sorted last night.

where it bolts into the tab sticking out the block an M8 bolt is required to screw into the thread available on the block, although the alternator hole is for an M10 bolt so abit sloppy and not ideal.

so i found a bush at work with an 8mm internal and 12mm external so i drilled the alternator out and fitted the bush which made it all sit nice and tight so the alternator got bolted back up again. Next was to sort an adjuster/second support so after a little bit of thinking i made this...
not an engineering work of art but looks smart enough and does the job it needs too.

205adjuster_zpsd113019e.jpg

all thats left now is the coolant system and blank off the breather outlets cause the dry sump is a sealed system.

Spiky

smart :)

doing the RSOC day at combe?