• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

rallyeash

[trackday_prep] 205 2.1 16V Rallye Track Car

edbar

yeah his ratio's are spot on for a combe only race car. im planning on doing Cadwell again this year, SPA and a few other circuits so want abit of flexability up top really.

i don't ever feel with around 230hp it struggles in any gear atall...

I agree it doesnt struggle lol! And if your going to Spa you will need some longer gears still I imagine, Always fancied Spa but the car has never been ready enough.

petert

It seems you're more interested in mph than acceleration between corners. You call it a track day car but it looks like a race car to me!

welshpug

hats the difference?! bar a number and some battle scars...

Spiky

I don't have a race car budget, I'm still on the same engine I fitted 5 years ago

You still missing the point in a car with our bhp topping out a short ratio box half way a straight o a track day.

EdCherry

A 'race car' budget even at BTCC (The pinnacle of UK motorsport supposedly) doesn't include an engine rebuild after every round. Limiter is there for a reason, you don't exactly ride the limiter for hours now do you.

Anyway gearing wise, better to have it too long than not long enough imo.

• Like 1

petert

"in 5th towards the end of the main straight" isn't the same as "in 5th half way down the straight". You're obviously happy with your gearing, so that's fine. The car featured in this thread is very nice and I'm looking forward to building a new car of the same build quality.

Sandy

Even my race engine customers are running taller gearing than their peers; it suits the delivery I aim for with the engines, more about mid range grunt than peak power and Ash's car/engine has turned out much the same. When the 206 in my avatar changed to my engine from the previous Longman one, he was struggling with traction around 5000-6000rpm out of the chicanes, he changed to a taller FDR, solved the problem and went over a second/lap quicker than ever before.

Edited by Sandy

rallyeash

Petert, if you read my post properly it says if you know Combe which I guess you don't I change to 5th before folly which is a right hand flat out bend half way down the main straight. From there I pull the majority of 5th gear to prob around 6-6.5k. Don't forget this is a road legal car and I try drive it to most track days and meets.

Thanks for the comments about the car though.

Spiky

both our cars have the same goal, quick on track, yet still road legal, a race car is built to get every second from the track, as shown about by sandy.

i dont doubt me and ash could get ours geared to get the most from track, but we still want to use them on the road

i've driven my to and around the nurburgring, imagine if i have a very low gearing? it would be unbareable.

back on topic, this is a fantasic car, and performs VERY good around combe,

any other tracks planned Ash?

donington/oulton park for exmaple?

rallyeash

Thanks, yeah would like to do donny and a few others. Trouble is im going to Canada for July riding my bike so that's costing a fair bit. Will do as many as I can afford too.

rallyeash

Right got some red line full synthetic diff oil for the gearbox and filled it up earlier. Just got back from taking it out on the road for a blip. Off the line traction doesnt seem much better, still spins up through first, second and third, mi box feels abit closer geared and definitely has covered less miles than my 1.9 box. It's the bends where this diff comes alive, the amount this diff try's to pull you through the bend rather than just stop wheelspin is amazing. Well pleased with the purchase and can't wait to get out on track on the 31st at Combe.

welshpug

what tyres do you roll on?

rallyeash

195 50 15 Toyo r888's on c5's. Haven't used them on track yet. Used to be 185 60 14 Toyo r888's on s2 steel's

welshpug

not surprised you're spinning up then, wont get the heat into them on the road without being a hooligan :lol:

especially in february!!!

EdCherry

Wrong month meirion!

Matt Holley

Right got some red line full synthetic diff oil for the gearbox and filled it up earlier. Just got back from taking it out on the road for a blip. Off the line traction doesnt seem much better, still spins up through first, second and third, mi box feels abit closer geared and definitely has covered less miles than my 1.9 box. It's the bends where this diff comes alive, the amount this diff try's to pull you through the bend rather than just stop wheelspin is amazing. Well pleased with the purchase and can't wait to get out on track on the 31st at Combe.

The Mi box does have better ratios than the 1.9, glad you are happy with it, it was apparanly rebuilt not long before I had it and I must have done under 10,000 miles with it.

petert

The Mi box does have better ratios than the 1.9, .........................

Hallelujah! It has a 4.43:1 cwp. Thus so much easier to spin in 1st and 2nd. Overall ratios compare like this.

Mi16 12.95 8.20 5.67 4.29 3.35

205 10.58 6.70 4.92 3.87 3.13

Edited by petert

rallyeash

Haha yeah I know cold track tyres aren't great through the cold months.

Yeah well pleased Matt.

cybernck

I like to use 1.9 gear set because of evenly spaced ratios and then scale them up or down by a shorter or longer final drive.

On the other hand, a standard Mi16 gearbox is a good mix of short first two gears yet still capable of respectable top end speed.

rallyeash

washed it and took it for a spin earlier to get a few more miles on it.. reinsured it the weekend and mot is due in a couple of weeks

442.jpg

441.jpg

440.jpg

Spiky

looks great dude :D

allye

Never noticed you had a base model rear valance!

rallyeash

yup quite like the way it curves around the exhaust and looks simple..

rallyeash

picked up my satchshift today.

look forward to fitting it!

photo2.jpg

pip470

What are the benefits of these?