• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

rallyeash

[trackday_prep] 205 2.1 16V Rallye Track Car

Sandy

I would!

allanallen

With the dry sump do you just leave the oil pump sprocket on the crank or do they supply you with a spacer??

Sandy

You have to space it yourself, ie leave the sprocket there. There are many little oversights in the pace kit, if you've never fitted one before, get the assistance or at least inspection of someone that really knows what they are doing, it's not exactly a bolt on kit as it appears.

rallyeash

Yes basically you remove the pump and chain then leave the sprocket there.

I agree there is areas that need some refining on the system but some of it can be overcome with a bit of thought.

My new pulley looks physically wider than the old one so it might of sold the issue itself. I never thought of checking the old pulley after fitting the dry sump for play which In hindseight I should of done.

I'll get the verniers out to make sure!

rallyeash

it did have some clockwise/anti clockwise play which got naturally worse at higher revs.

I sold the Cobra bucket seats, subframes and 3 point Willians harnesses to my mate whos got my old Gti6 road car and he's turning it into a track car :-).

I then purchased the Sparco bucket seat from Kev Jones's track rallye that was sold recently to Ross. The subframes that they came with it didnt give me enough room to fit the seat around the cage and still be driveable so i purchased some nice alloy adjustable ones which after an evening tonight of farting about and having the seat in and out about 6 times i got there in the end.

Also purchased 2x set of 4 point Willians Harnesses to use. I did have some 3 point Willians ones but where the V is behind the seat where it goes from 2-1 always was really tight to the back of the seat because my harnessed pick up off the roll cage.

IMG_2621_zps746cd938.jpg

no updates for a while as im off to California!

rallyeash

bought a copy of PFC last week to read the article on colins 205 and browsing through the mag i found a picture of my car...

IMG_2730_zpsc9943bc0.jpg

I popped over to merlins on saturday and picked up a passengers seat and i ordered from Rally Design a alloy seat fitting kit last week so that all got fitted the weekend along with the new 4 point willians harness for the passengers side...

IMG_2760_zpsfefd97d0.jpg

all fitted in the car

IMG_2763_zpsf4afc954.jpg

next up was sorting the discs/wheel setup. I didnt like the Kad discs that came with the 6 pots. they have a back offset and the caliper gets spaced back to achieve wheel clearance on standard wheels. the part of the disc where the wheel bolts up against was also around 3mm thicker to give a little more wheel clearance. This took away half of the hub centric part of the hub so the C5 wheels didnt sit very nicely. Fine probably on a road car but I personally didnt like it.

So i picked up a set of standard Gti6 discs and fitted them, removed the caliper spacers which made the calipers directly bolted to the hub.
perfect, but now the C5 wheels foul the calipers by over 10mm. One option would be to invest in some wheels with big brake clearance like Pro Race 1.2's but i dont think anything other than a steel wheel style rim suits this car so sticking with the C5's was a must.
I purchased some 15mm alloy hubcentric spacers to get the clearance required, this now made the special C5 bolts which use a 60 degree taper washer not long enough. A stud conversion was the answer but buying nuts with a 60 degree taper spin washer seemed impossible.
I came across a set of aftermarket Nissan skyline wheel nuts listed on ebay which looked just the ticket

IMG_2759_zps73919c31.png

Slightly longer than i wanted but just the ticket. They come in a pack of 20 as the Skyline/200sx is 5 stud but luckily M12 x 1.25 pitch so the same as peugeot.
I ordered these up along with a decent set of 82mm length studs from Demon Tweeks which came today and ive just finished fitting.

IMG_2790_zpsfce6a4a3.jpg

wheel nuts fitted and then the same carried out on the other side.

IMG_2791_zps898c946d.jpg

Something ive been wanting to do for a while was buy a proper car transporter trailer, i either hire or use my big 16ft x 7.6ft work trailer which is a bit of a ballache when doing trackdays, staying away etc.Ive been browsing for a second hand one for a while but the price of used ones are so expensive and seeing as we are Ifor Williams main dealers at work i finally took the plunge and ordered a new Ifor Williams CT115 (11ft x 5ft) and also the spare wheel rack so i can chuck the slicks on the trailer too. Delivery is 5 weeks so probably wont be in time for Oulton

Next up is Weld on steering wheel boss using a quick release collar system as i cant currentyl get in and out of the car with my new drivers seat!

rallyeash

one session from Oulton Park in the damp/cold.

Tried chasing a Radical for a bit but traffic didnt really allow it. a bit later i had another go and to be honest i was holding on to it. Mind you if there was a talented driver behind the wheel it should be lapping me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ORMWfqy4Os

• Like 2

rallyeash

did a track day at Oulton Park last weekend.

Car ran really well all day except for when i stuck it backwards into the gravel trap....

couple of pics from the day.oultonpark3_zps5e0e8d56.jpg

oultonpark4_zpsb4a47ec8.jpg

The result of trying to chase a Radical in the wet with half warm R888's......

oultonpark2_zpscb9618ce.jpg

oultonpark1_zps3da6c650.jpg

the whole engine bay was covered in stones, all over the engine and all over the gearbox, luckily i thought of dipping the clutch and turning the engine off while going backwards into the gravel.. didnt stop a stone getting into the dry sump pulleys and tearing the belt! the belt was ripped but still in one piece which was a bit of luck.

This morning i cleaned the car as it was pretty dirty after towing it a 400 mile around trip and a winter trackday. Got a replacement dry sump drive belt and ran the engine for an hour this morning to make sure all was good which it was thankfully :-)

Carbon coilpack was fitted a few weeks ago

IMG_2936_zps81666c98.jpg

allye

Going well ash, tanking along! Are you using a mic on the gopro? Sound's pretty bad (or is that youtube destroying the quality!?)

Thats J Jones? They pile em' high!!

rallyeash

Nah there is no external mic. Just the floaty back door fitted to the gopro as I've got the digital screen on my Hero 3.

YouTube has reduced the sound and video quality. It's much better on real player on my desktop Computer.

allye

Planning on going for a swim in the car with the float on the door? :P

rallyeash

Haha you never know!

It's more to protect the screen and plus it still has the touch screen facility which the hard case doesn't

stuart

Glad to hear it was ok, didn't want to ask what happened when you were winching it onto the trailer, my mates said it'd gone pop!

You and your mate were going really well, shows what a well sorted 205 can do. Thought I was doing alright until you both passed me and disappeared. Need more power! By the way what sort of power was your mates car running? 200bhp isn't too far away :lol:

rallyeash

Nah I just stuck it in the gravel. Because my car is dry sump I was concerned about having stones in the engine bay and causing a problem so I told the recovery I wasn't going to start the car so they recovered it. I did dip the clutch and turn off the engine just before going into the gravel though.

Yeah Craigs is circa 200hp. Standard gti6 engine with piper 270 cams and Jenvey's. It's the suspension work that makes his car quick, rear coil overs, revised front suspension carried out by Colin Satchell.

The level of grip in his car Is awsome. We went Out in each others cars and the difference compared to mine was crazy.

rallyeash

I'm getting a few bits sprayed up on the car which has started off as just getting the door sprayed white inside and out to replace my bent one where I put it in the tyres at Combe.

I had the attitude of "while your at it"

There was a ripple in the drivers side front wing near the indicator so I put some fine filler to get that sorted and can be sprayed at the same time of the door....

once the front wing was sanded, primered and then sanded back again with some fine wet and dry ready for paint I moved my attention elsewhere....

why not smooth the boot wiper holes, I cut a small piece of metal out and bonded it to the back, once that was dry I filled the holes and sanded it back, sprayed over in primer and then sanded back again

aftersandingboot_zpsfec1136b.jpg

The rear quarter panel on the passengers side has always been a bit dented and funny shaped, I tried to get a paintless dent removal man on the job before but to no joy. These dents have been there since I bought the car in 2005. These got filled, sanded back, primered and then sanded back again. Much happier with the quarter panel now as its straight!

There was also a bit of surface rust making its way through the paint by the quarter window so I soon knocked that on the head.

aftersandingquater_zpsb31dcacd.jpg

Front valance was badly scratched when I stuffed it at Combe so again, while the spray gun will be out why not!

removed the door too so the fresh painted one can be fitted. Car is booked in to the body shop just opposite my work for 21st December :-)

takenapart_zpsbaccc080.jpg

allye

what radiator are you using now? See you sold you Renault one.

rallyeash

Just a standard 205 nissens one. On circuit it doesn't go over 75 degrees

welshpug

noticed you were asking about the dry sump belt over on 306 forum.

L is the tooth profile type, and I guess 210 is the length, you can get quite a few different width belts in this size so you need to check what you need, quick google shows up some on Ebay from the czech republic.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BOHEMIA-SEAL/Timing-belts-/_i.html?_nkw=210+l&submit=Search&_fsub=976337012&_sid=887830602

£12-£16 delivered isn't bad., how much does your supplier charge you?

rallyeash

I bought a good year belt from my local supplier. L210. Was fine until I stuck it in the gravel trap and it had a tear in it. My guard does a good jo of general crap but you should of seen the gravel on my engine bay. It was everywhere!

I went to get a replacement L210 and bought 2 so I'd keep one just in case seeing as they were under a tenner.

The belt is a bit slacker than the old one. (different make) I don't really want to start shimming the pump just want another belt that is tensioned perfect like the first Goodyear one.

rallyeash

painting...

i bought a replacement door for the car as when i stuck mine in the tyres it was in bad shape. couple of spots on the new door got sorted.

IMG_3134_zpse9f94ffb.jpg

got a layer of primer.

IMG_3136_zps3c5e7aae.jpg

lower valance was badly scratched so that got flattened back and ready to paint

IMG_3133_zps897d4f1a.jpg

didnt want the inside of the door a different colour so that got sprayed

IMG_3141_zpseb3b39f7.jpg

in progress stuff. wiper holes got filled and the boot sprayed

IMG_3138_zpsd308921d.jpg

IMG_3139_zps342704da.jpg

after paint,

IMG_3143_zps9a0c1b5d.jpg

with some bits fitted back on. need to properly align everything still

IMG_3147_zps766b8c6d.jpg

IMG_3148_zps4b117fa2.jpg

The bits sprayed were, both doors, offside wing, nearside quarter, boot and front valance. you may be able to tell that the bonnet is a different colour. I picked the bonnet up from a member and it had been sprayed a few years back but is laquered whereas my car is direct gloss. I'll be removing the bonnet for them to spray as we have enough paint left to do it and i'll get the inside of the bonnet sprayed aswell because where the bonnet was cut to fit aerocatches and throttle bodies so theres naturally surface rust.

the offside quarter doesnt match very well but this will get blown to match in a week or two.

A pair of these are going to be ordered for the fronts aswell..

IMG_3151_zps9f01023d.png

Edited by rallyeash

Sandy

Thank god it was the heatlamps, I thought it was pink there for a minute

rallyeash

Haha no! Certainly white Sandy. I need another Sandy Brown engine sticker for the boot. Still got some kicking about?

• Like 1

wicked

I think the car is screaming for some wheel arches, especially when you fit 8" wheels....

LIke this one: (not mine)

Foto550-I38UXHIU.jpg​

rallyeash

In my opinion then it just looks like every other track 205. It will only have 8' front rims and the rear will trail on either the current C5's or if it looks odd will buy a set of 6' rear rims to match.

With et10 offset they will stick out a bit wide on the front but I have been looking at having the front wings rolled by someone like archenemy.co.uk so it will look pretty subtle.

It looks much better when all the rallye decals are back fitted. In my opinion it looks very plain and boring without.

Edited by rallyeash

welshpug

You need to stretch the arches not roll them, theres nothng to roll on a 205 arch.