• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

wardy18

[race_prep] Guernsey Hillclimb 205 Build

Cameron

Ah, yeah I forgot about it going under the window seal. Not sure what you can do then short of creating a plug from the old scuttle panel with all the holes and crap smoothed over, then make a mould & parts from it. If you were to do this I'd certainly be interested in a GRP / carbon / whatever smooth scuttle panel!

wardy18

Had a proper look at this last night and i reckon it can be done quite easily so i am in the middle of making a template then will cut out of big sheets of GRP i previously laid out a while back.

tri_longer

I've seen a moulded one in GRp or carbon (can't remember which) for sale on ebay once so it's definitely doable. You can add my name to the list aswell if you are going to make them.

wardy18

I need to start a 205 GRP Bodywork Business i think :D

Ill see how it works out over the next few days and get some pics up.

Cameron

If you were to start making GRP doors too that would be ace. :D

wardy18

If you were to start making GRP doors too that would be ace. :D

Someones already looking into doing this arn't they, WRacing if i remember rightly, in the group buys section i think.

Would be very difficult to get them strong enough and cant see how it can be done to get this strength without adding brace bars and still retain the reduced weight.

Would be awesome to have some though. I want to chop more out of my doors as they are damn heavy lumps but not sure where to start, was thinking of drilling large lightening holes in the first skin on the inside along the strip below the window and possibly the very bottom flat section of the door as most the hanging strength comes from the window surround up and over part.

What you think?!

Could do with some pics of others successful lightening attempts of the doors.

Simon

Batfink

I've seen a 205 with kevlar doors. They just pop out when hit lightly. I've got a passenger fibreglass and kevlar door. Its not the lightest of doors thats for sure. I'll weight it if I remember.

wardy18

Personally i think if you hack the sh*te out of the original steel door and leave just enough strength for it to hold its own when open plus cut the rubbers down holding the window in or just bond the windows in then it'll be just as light as a GRP one, end of the day when its closed it doesnt need a great deal of strength as you could fashion some kind of lock better than the std latch.

Cameron

Actually yeah I agree that a GRP door would probably have to weigh about the same as a steel door to be as stiff. A carbon door on the other hand would be very light and stiff! :)

You can buy GRP door skins, maybe if you bonded one of those to a lightened steel inner panel you'd get the lightest combination.

Cameron

Oh I forgot to answer your question! :lol:

Yeah there was a guy who was going to make GRP doors, but I emailed him a couple of weeks ago and he's emigrating so it's no longer going ahead.

wardy18

I have just got the grinder to the doors and really suprisingly to me i managed to hack off another 2kg per door and still retain its strength, a little more flimsy but as long as you dont start swinging on the door then happy days. Here's a pic, i had gutted out the centre panel already but left the top panel in which sandwich'd then window in, this has now gone as you can see, weighed the parts that came off and they weighed in at 2kg, reckon i i can another 1/2kg with a few lighetning holes in chosen places.

I have also look at taking more from my boot lid inside, all in all i reckon i shaved of 10kg which is great!!

DO YOU LIKE MY INTERIOR DOOR HANDLE, the blue bit of wire, does the job perfectly and looks neat.

post-11100-0-06740400-1299944174_thumb.jpg

wardy18

A few more pics of the latest works:

> Rad Cooling Fans now fitted and tested

> Exhaust Tunnel Cooling Fans now fitted and tested

> 6 point Harnesses now fitted

> Bottom engine mount arm solid bush made (thanks Colin)

> Top mount solid bushes (again thanks to Colin)

I have also cut and test fitted a GRP scuttle panel and it looked great and was very easy to fit however it wasnt quite long enough and didnt reach either side so i have added bits on and now have a perfectly fitted template but have run out of GRP sheet big enough so need to source an alternative.

post-11100-0-79862100-1299945190_thumb.jpg

post-11100-0-80059900-1299945206_thumb.jpg

post-11100-0-91025600-1299945219_thumb.jpg

post-11100-0-48572600-1299945232_thumb.jpg

post-11100-0-40366800-1299945245_thumb.jpg

wardy18

Scuttle panel in the making, i can re-produce these if anyone wants one but ill gets some pics up of it fitted first.

post-11100-0-86771600-1300094163_thumb.jpg

wardy18

Just got home from an overnight stay in hospital following an operation yesterday so now having to leave the car alone until I can work on it again without damaging myself, gonna be a week maybe 2, NOT HAPPY!!

Just when I had so many things on the go too which I wanted to get done to show everyone the results ie scuttle panel! All I can do now is Internet research and ordering parts, gutted!

So back in a week I suppose (hopefully by which time I'll have an engine too)

Edited by wardy18

Anthony

Did you ever hear back from MASS on the dyno results, as judging from your last post on the matter they were expecting to be done mid-last week?

wardy18

Yeh it took a few days to get it on the dyno as I think they had a few of their own engines to do for a race at the weekend, phoned them yesterday first thing before hosp and it was in the background running in and sounded great! Will call tomorrow for some results so will report back,

wardy18

Update on the engine, mapped it up to 6k then something went wrong on the dyno and it all shut down rather fast, opened up engine and turned out that one of the big ends had s*it itself, no burn marks or grooves, it just decided to split in half and remove itself!

Everything has been reveiwed and all looks good ie crank journal wasn't affected and rod was fine so a new heavy duty set of ACL Duraglide bearings have been fitted which will more than cope with the power. So back together and back on the dyno to finish the map. All John said as that it pulled like an apsolute train up to 6k.

Will call again monday for an update.

TT205

Good news mate!

Roll on Monday :D

wardy18

Good news mate!

Roll on Monday :D

Im dying to find out what it can do then get this damn car on the tarmac!!

Cameron

Crap news, hope you and your car get better soon! :lol:

wardy18

Very happy with my latest GRP piece i have just pulled from the new mold i made and fitted, my new Scuttle Panel, fits perfect so my measurements worked out great and i am so so happy to loose that old piece of plastic crap.

Even though the old piece was very light this new scuttle panel is easy half the weight, rather flimsy as i only made it from one ply fibreglass and no Gel Coat but its only a decorative piece so works perfect.

What do you think? (many more pics of it in my photobucket account, click my signature)

post-11100-0-13075800-1300811321_thumb.jpg

Edited by wardy18

Batfink

Looks good to me!

EdCherry

Looks the tits to me too. Like cameron said interested in making a couple cause id take one in either carbon/black gel coat.

welshpug

I guess you've got a Roof scoop now you've blocked off the fresh air intake to the cabin?

wardy18

Yeh i can make some up, do you have your bonnet pins in the same position, its just the mould i have has these cut out already

Nah one of my goals in this was to cover over that gaping hole under the scuttle panel so atleast no water can come in now also its a racer not a road car so it has no door rubbers at all letting in alot of air around the frame and also the hole in the drivers window, think roof scoops dont look so good on hatchbacks!!

Am tempted to wire in a little elec fan inside to circulate air, pointing partially over me and onto the windscreen to de-mist if needed.

PM Me if interested in a scuttle panel.