• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

[trackday_prep] Paul's Gti6

welshpug

base model drums are 10mm narrower than the gti ones, so you're looking at 18mm if the gti6 hub adds 8mm to the 1.9 hub,

Anthony

Just a thought, but is there going to be sufficient clearance between the inside of the wheel/tyre and the ARB end plate if you move the wheel inwards?

Tom Fenton

You can lose a bit of width by knocking the seal ring right up to the shoulder on the beam tube, and then setting the arms up against the seals new position. Depending on how clearances stack up you may need to shave a touch off the end of the torsion bars. You may also need to shorten the top hat that the seal runs on to make sure it doesn't bottom out on the outer beam bearing. I reckon you could lose 8mm a side doing this for no outlay.

Edited by Tom Fenton

Paul_13

Just finished cleaning up the other sump, a combination of a kettle, fairy liquid and a wire brush. Need to take off the flap in the sump, but I've had enough for tonight.

If weather is good i'll get my arse in gear tomorrow and seal the sump back on. Then to tackle the rocker cover. grrr. Wish I didn't put the cam cover heat shield back on now :angry: Got to lower the engine off the upper mount. Putting me off now thinking of it.

Paul_13

Thanks to help from Kyepan i've sealed the sump back on and hopefully sorted out the rocker cover leak. Just waiting for this bloody oil to turn up from Yodel then i'll fire her up again. I think i'm going to put the oil I got from Asda in first, in case there is a leak still so i'm not wasting good oil.

Did a bit of work last week end on the diesel, many thanks to Cheesegrater (Tom) for lending me his garage. Swapped the subframe over from one I got off Baz, as I think the old one was bent from where the scrap yard had movied it by forklift. Pressed the new wishbone bushes in and swapped the steering rack for an old one, as it had play and replaced the rack arms. And by total amazement the tracking was bang one when we measured it :lol:

Here's Tom doing up the bottom ball joint bolts:

th_IMAG0621.jpg

welshpug

Here's Tom doing up the bottom ball joint bolts:

th_IMAG0621.jpg

WTF?! :blink:

26lbft does not equate to windy gun!!

Paul_13

God you lot bite so easy :lol:

cheesegrater

Oh bugger is it not 35kNm?

Paul_13

Done 500 miles in 3 days, going strong :) The intermittent stalling problem reappeared today and this will happen when starting when hot and it'll cut out straight away after turning key. Also cuts out when the clutch is dipped, going to check the VSS plug is still conected.

Any one a spare idle control valve?

Fixed the leaking rocker cover and nipped up the cam carrier bolts on the exhaust side. Now the cam carrier is leaking on the inlet <_< Only slightly so not too fussed. It's kept it's oil level, was losing a litre pretty quickly last time.

Needs it's yearly clean ^_^

kyepan

would like to hear it with the new bottom engine mount!!

welshpug

would like to hear it with the new bottom engine mount!!

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ......

Paul_13

I fitted a engine fork with an OE bushe, much better than the previous :)

Paul_13

Took it out for a spin earlier. Oil temp gauge was quite low to begin with then shot up higher than before, then settled down.

Dodgy sensor or something else?

Would having an open end on the oil catch tank cause damp to get in the engine and this was evaporating off causing the gauge to go wacko?

Anthony

Damp in the connector maybe? My old 8v (with an S16 sump - same sensor as a GTi-6) would occasionally have the oil temp gauge do some strange things after heavy rain or splashing through deep puddles, with the gauge reading high or flickering back and forth. Squirt of WD40 or letting it dry and all was well again.

Also check that the wiring for it isn't chaffing against the block and earthing out, as that will make it read high/full

Of course, since it's you, shall I keep the tow bar on standby for the inevitable along with a shovel to scoop the broken engine parts off the road? :P

Paul_13

Damp in the connector maybe? My old 8v (with an S16 sump - same sensor as a GTi-6) would occasionally have the oil temp gauge do some strange things after heavy rain or splashing through deep puddles, with the gauge reading high or flickering back and forth. Squirt of WD40 or letting it dry and all was well again.

Also check that the wiring for it isn't chaffing against the block and earthing out, as that will make it read high/full

Of course, since it's you, shall I keep the tow bar on standby for the inevitable along with a shovel to scoop the broken engine parts off the road? :P

Good shout on the damp/chaffing side of things. I do have a feeling there's an exposed wire somewhere. I'll give the WD40 a go.

Also I need some 8v coolant temp sensor and warning sensor, do you have these spare? Sent through that money btw ;)

:lol: 'Paul_13 and friends where good engines go to die'

kyepan

And a passenger to document the shovelling he he

Paul_13

Took the car on the rollers earlier thanks to Justin and his house mate :) Pretty much making standard power 162.4 BHP and 145 FtLb of torque :)

th_IMAG0637.jpg

th_IMAG0638.jpg

th_IMAG0640.jpg

The low figure is a run in 4th gear not 3rd.

A picture of the graph, Torque and BHP for the good run.

th_IMAG0641.jpg

Here is the series of runs, the values which don't correspond to the others are Justin's (turns out his was running very lean!)

th_IMAG0639.jpg

Miles

We need to get that figure up ;) , Christ my Dads 306 is 169 with 285k on it complete with CAT :lol:

kyepan

We need to get that figure up ;) , Christ my Dads 306 is 169 with 285k on it complete with CAT :lol:

what would you suggest?

welshpug

what exhaust do you have on there?

Paul_13

Bosal system ph2 modified by Miles

I didn't use a repair gasket so not sure if I can use a regrind.

Still feeling a supercharger :lol:

welshpug

Depends how much was taken off the head, do you know how thick the gasket was as well?

Paul_13

Unsure on the head, I'll have to ask Miles as he carried out the head rebuild.

It was a standard Pug headgasket for a RS.

andyjstone

Not been on here for a while, been too busy on house stuff, but glad you've got an up and running 205, but even happier it's not as quick as mine :lol:

Paul_13

Not been on here for a while, been too busy on house stuff, but glad you've got an up and running 205, but even happier it's not as quick as mine :lol:

Long time no see!

:lol: Just wait and see, may have a few things lined up. Give the engine another few thousand miles to relax...