• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

[trackday_prep] Paul's Gti6

SurGie

Coming along well now Paul, alloys look superb !

• Like 1

Paul_13

Coming along well now Paul, alloys look superb !

Did you find that pic you were looking for George?

SurGie

Yes thanks, it was a few pages back.

Paul_13

th_20121029_194920.jpg

Another product to fail the accredited Paul_13 testing program

Anthony is a f***ing legend by the way, after a long day and driving to my Dad's house in Bristol (for work the next morning) I noticed the exhaust got suddenly louder and rattled like f***. Got steadily worse and after a quick look under the car I thought the clamp had come loose.

Anthony offered me hospitality at his for the night and have a look at the back box in the morning.

Before I'd even got out the house I was met by bad news as Anthony already has his head under the car (the massive crack in the back box!) Being in a bit of a dilemma as I needed to get to the induction on my new site and didn't want the back box to fall off on the M4/M5, Anthony lent me his trustworthy HDI. And Anthony driving my GTI to his work and sourcing a replacement back box while I was in Bristol.

Unfortunately the M4 was shut and Anthony had to drive through quiet villages with a car that sounded like a "can am V8". Recieving a text later that morning that actually made me cry with laughter:

"The definition of anti social? M4 being closed and having to drive through sleepy villages at 7.30am. The looks I got... you'd think I'd just s*it on their dog"

Your a legend mate :)

Edited by Paul_13
  • Like 1

Paul_13

Next job is to fit the Xsara VTS PAS setup I bought of AlastairH. Should transform the car :)

Also i've fitted a brand new MAF sensor, ECU temp and Lambda and it seems to run a lot smoother.

Speedo died a week ago which i'm not happy about. I've checked the cable, clocks, cogs,... everything is fine so i'm a bit baffled. Couldn't fully see if the cog in the box was fine as the gearbox oil was above the level of the cog. So next job is to replace the cogs. Joy

Got rid of the Group N top mount rubbers and the car is more civilised on the road. Doesn't tram line half as much and turns in better.

Fitted the 1155 mintex pads and the results are good :) Good cold bite and sustained hot bite

1.6 GTI box is a hoot :D Really revvy and goes well, really well. Bit of traffic light GP with my mates 306 Rallye, and the 205 was miles ahead :ph34r:

Edited by Paul_13

allye

Speedo died a week ago which i'm not happy about. I've checked the cable, clocks, cogs,... everything is fine so i'm a bit baffled. Couldn't fully see if the cog in the box was fine as the gearbox oil was above the level of the cog. So next job is to replace the cogs. Joy

I had a lot of fun with my speedo, it was never the clock end that was the problem. Some cables can push in at the gearbox end and not engage which was my problem.

Paul_13

Started fitting the PAS setup, changed the engine mount over and fitted the rallye pulley setup.

20121125_152606.jpg

20121125_152617.jpg

20121125_161324.jpg

20121125_161330.jpg

Bit tight but just enough room :)

Pump fitted and belt aswell, what a bastard of a job to get the belt on!

IMG-20121215-WA0002.jpg

Heated the pipe up with a heat gun and turned it round to face the inner wing

IMG-20121215-WA0001.jpg

Paul_13

Bottle wedged in the wing, will figure a way of securing it later. Also trimmed the pipe to make it fit between the pump and bottle.

IMG-20121215-WA0003.jpg

For the other pipe I used the rubber one supplied and cut a section out of the loop to join the return pipe from the rack

20121215_141213.jpg

High pressure pipe attached and routed down past the block and under the sump. Inlet also on and the fuel pipes clear everything.

20121215_144139.jpg

Hehe

20121214_145432.jpg

Paul_13

Everything back together

20121215_145026.jpg

Interestingly only 10mm difference in pinion height (205 square drive NON PAS vs Xsara PAS rack)

20121216_124341.jpg

20121216_124349.jpg

20121216_124217.jpg

Edited by Paul_13

welshpug

Doh, not a vts rack, maybe a gti6 one? Think standard ones are even more turns.

Paul_13

Either a 6 rack or a standard xsara rack at my guess

Paul_13

Curiousity kills the cat so they say.

Changed the rack on my mates GTI6 which had an alarming amount of play in one of the inner joints.

I was curious how the NS arm came off the rack, couldn't see how the gaitors came off. I know someone was asking this question recently on how to remove the arms off a xsara rack which is the same rack.

There's a metal collar which is built into the outer gaitor, one hit with a flat blade screwdriver and hammer and it freed it off. When this is pulled back you can use some stilsons to crack off and unscrew the track arm.

IMG-20121223-WA0000.jpg

The inner gaitor had enough give in it to slide it over the PAS ram stud, couldn't work out how to remove the stud mount. must be pressed on.

IMG-20121223-WA0001.jpg

Also compared a Xsara VTS ram to a GTI6 ram and they are the same. Same dimensions etc. Odd... so i don't know how the lock is limited on a 6 rack.

Miles came to the rescue with a Xsara VTS rack that he's lent me, didn't have a ram or pipework on it so I pinched the pipes off the 6 rack I disassembled earlier. Kyepan came to the rescue with a ram :)

welshpug

the ram limits the lock, if you compare the fully extended length you will see the VTS ram will go further, fully compressed will be the same.

Paul_13

It was exactly the same length unless i wasn't pulling on it hard enough. I'm pretty sure I did extend both fully.

Is that from what you've experienced or heard?

Hang on. That rack came off Hovis's rallye so could be anything... considering the engine was 'cammed' and came from a well respected company and half the other shocking work done on the car could warrant it being a different rack

Have you got any pictures of the 2 next to each other?

welshpug

No pics I'm afraid, that was from doing AdamB's 306 V6 and he thought it'd be great to swap the ram so he could actually turn right given the gearbox wasnt in the way any more :D

Retained the original rack as it was still good, fitted a few new boots and the standard 5 speed ram.

Could well have already been a 5 speed ram on Hovis's car, seems to have had a hell of a history that car!

Paul_13

Could well have already been a 5 speed ram on Hovis's car, seems to have had a hell of a history that car!

Yep... We figured out where the 'R' cam came from on the group buy. The 'cammed' engine was fitted by a localish company. You might of seen the pics in the project thread.

Tomorrows job is to

Fit the rack, fill it with fluid.

Tracking

Fit new back box

Fit xsara rear shocks (for time being)

Fit rear discs.

Take it for a test drive :)

And some point dry the car out!

Edited by Paul_13

petert

Yep... We figured out where the 'R' cam came from on the group buy. The 'cammed' engine was fitted by a localish company. You might of seen the pics in the project thread.

So a nice local firm popped some R cams into an RS?

Anthony

Nice! :D

Baz

Sexy! B)

Gman

What you upto now Paul? Bodies?

Paul_13

Not quite

As Anthony would say "it's been working too long ;)"

On a serious note its the petert cams I'm fitting

Edited by Paul_13
  • Like 1