• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

[trackday_prep] Paul's Gti6

Paul_13

Fitted up the wilwood brake bias valve and the made some new rear trailing arm brake lines.

I have opted to ditch the extra flexi going into the caliper, the 6 doesn't run this so in my eyes 1 more less joint to leak/fail (hopefully not!)

Just to bleed the system now :)

th_IMAG0270.jpg

New braided flexi's off a mate :)

th_IMAG0271.jpg

Paul_13

Makeshift tracking devce :)

th_IMAG0332.jpg

th_IMAG0331.jpg

Got it parrellel for the meanwhile, will get it set properly when it's fully on road :)

Paul_13

th_IMAG0338.jpg

Changed the hose about so it didn't run inbetween the engine and chassis, run it underneath the engine cradle.

th_IMAG0342.jpg

Yay!

th_IMAG0343.jpg

Strut brace on :)

th_IMAG0344.jpg

Brake bias valve installed, was a tiny weep but nipping it up solved this :)

I had these come in at the motorfactors... now the stem seal and seat is made into one. The stem seal and seat is separate on the O.E setup, has any body used these before?

th_IMAG0337.jpg

They're Payen

Edited by Paul_13

Anthony

I had these come in at the motorfactors... now the stem seal and seat is made into one. The stem seal and seat is separate on the O.E setup, has any body used these before?

th_IMAG0337.jpg

They're Payen

That's what some of the XU10J4R engines use as standard, and they're frightfully expensive (once you factor in that you need 16) new from Peugeot.

Paul_13

Ok, they were only £15-20 from my local factors. I've used alot of Payen stuff before and it's been spot on.

welshpug

yup, not rs seals, which are about a pound each iirc.

Paul_13

They're the right diamater, as the first ones that were ordered in were the same diameter as S16 valves. The second set were the same size as RS valves.

welshpug

yeah, same size stems, as are the xu7

Paul_13

First set I had were XU7... Second set had XU10J4RS on the bag. I'll get them and see what's what :)

Anthony

Personally Paul, if they're that sort of money I'd just buy new GTi-6 stem seals from Peugeot rather than take a chance on those.

I'm not 100% sure if they'll fit over the valve stems properly, and not at all convinced at all that they'll fit with the double valve springs on a '6 engine.

Full set of 16 GTi-6 stem seals from Peugeot is £21.92 including VAT and you know that they're going to be spot on - part number 095638

yeah, same size stems, as are the xu7

Actually, not all XU10J4R's are the same - earlier ones used thicker 7mm stems, and I believe that's the same case with early XU7JP4's too

Paul_13

Ok for that price i'll go pug, thought they'd be more than that.

Got a part number to hand :rolleyes:

Anthony

Got a part number to hand :rolleyes:

Re-read my post above :P

welshpug

:lol: id never trust what is written on a motorfactor label tbh, the rs never used that type and as anthony said its not likely the inner spring will seat correctly on them.

didnt know early xu7's and j4r had 7mm stems, guess there were a number of changes throughout the years, unsurprising with how many they made!

Anthony

didnt know early xu7's and j4r had 7mm stems, guess there were a number of changes throughout the years, unsurprising with how many they made!

There's all manner of changes that they made on them over the years, and it's a bit of a minefield if you need to buy parts for one

There were two different thickness valves, three different stem seals, three different types of valve spring and retainer, two different cambelts/tensioners/pulleys... it's a bloody ballache frankly, especially if you're unfortunate enough not to know the reg / chassis number of the donor car!

Atleast GTi-6's were fairly consistent throughout their production (if you ignore all the differences with the bolt-on bits on Phase 2 Xsara's anyway)

Paul_13

Re-read my post above :P

I swear you edited that... or I'm going blind.

Right mot's Saturday morning :) wish me luck!

kyepan

and then braaaaaap! best of luck mate.

Paul_13

Chars!

th_IMAG0348.jpg

Put the carpet and underlay back in to keep the noise down :) got to find some to do the rear seat section and under the front carpet.(Why did I chuck the original away!)

Also where have people positioned their bias valves (this one specfically :P) So I dont backwards into the nearest hedge :)

Paul_13

It passed the MOT :D

Bit of an oil leak all over the MOT station floor :(

Tried to sort this earlier, inlet gasket tore itself to pieces when I took the inlet off :angry:

Think i've solved the oil leak, hose coming off the oil breather from the engine wasnt clamped properly by the standard hose clip. Put a jubilee on there now so hopefully it's sorted.

Just need an inlet gasket now... and tomorrows sunday grrr

Anthony

Can't you just use some RTV sealant in place of the gasket on the inlet? That's all I do with most gasket surfaces and have no problems.

Paul_13

My mate has a PTFE gasket i've given him a while back. Will get that off him, only thing was it had squashed a bit so will need trimming.

If not i'll use your suggestion :)

th_IMAG0360.jpg

You bloody cursed them! :lol:

Knowing your luck the odometer will suffice :lol:

Damn right. I blamed the mother bringing into the world of the 13th day of the month...

SurGie

So not long until your back on the road :)

You make your own luck in life, like when you decided to come into the world, so its your fault :P:lol: Some countries believe 13 is a lucky number like, 1 and 3 = 4 :ph34r:

Seriously though, good luck on the roads once your back on them :)

Paul_13

Sorted the oil leak after a few attempts was the oil level sensor didn't have a copper washer under it D'oh!

Going to take it for a drive later and do some more running in.

Then off to my mates to take his block out. Cylinders 1 & 4 had water in, the exhaust manifold was submerged in coolant in port 4.

Heads probably warped to f*** and the blocks scrap from where the coolant had been sat in it.

Edited by Paul_13

Anthony

I've love to know what on earth you and your friends do in order to get through engines like you seem to - the rate of attrition is horrendous frankly! :blink:

Have you considered another avenue of employment, offering your services to OEM's for engine stress testing perhaps? NCAP 5-stars is common place now, but the coverted Paul_13 seal of engine hardiness must surely be something to aspire to - if it can survive Paul, then chances are it'll survive anything. I can only assume that Honda's continuing claims of never having had a VTEC failure are solely down to you having never owned one, as otherwise it would surely have been converted to a smouldering pile of mangled metal otherwise.

Paul_13 and friends - where good engines go to die... :lol:

Tesstuff

Anthony says what I have always thought :lol:

Paul_13

:lol:

You do make me laugh!

My mate bought the car off his cousin and has been nothing but trouble; normally when I take a head off there a bit of force require to break the seal, this was lifting itself off just undoing the head bolts. It was basically rocking on the block, must be warped as.

I'm glad my bad luck's moved on to someone else now :lol:

*TOUCH WOOD*