• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

[trackday_prep] Paul's Gti6

Paul_13

No too happy with these hub bolts off a 306 member, way too bloody long

th_IMAG0149.jpg

Due to this:

th_IMAG0150.jpg

I now have these:

th_IMAG0156-1.jpg

th_IMAG0157-1.jpg

Fitted

th_IMAG0159-1.jpg

Cam cover

th_IMAG0160-1.jpg

Blanking plate, thorttle body heater and oil recirculation bit removed. catch tank to be fitted.

th_IMAG0154-1.jpg

Couple of jubilee clips to fit and the engine ready to go in :)

Paul_13

Taa daa, a bit of wrestling, blood, sweat and strops and it's in :D Thanks to Will, Mikey, Greig and Ben for their help :)

th_IMAG0169.jpg

Just put some new gaitors on the driveshafts (cheers for those Anthony)

th_IMAG0170.jpg

Tomorrow get the rest of the car toegther. Need to sort out rust under neath the car :(

Paul_13

Just been sorting out rust on the underside, there's a few holes in the floor pan in the rear passenger footwell :( Job for the future.

All the rust has been treated with kurust, painted then underseal applied pretty thickly.

The inner wing has had the repair patch welded in, all sealed and painted.

Part of the engine loom is on, clutch cable, inlet and rad next.

Nearly there :)

Tom Fenton

I have correct length hub clamp and balljoint clamp bolts if needed.

Paul_13

I have correct length hub clamp and balljoint clamp bolts if needed.

Ooo yes please, how much?

Tom Fenton

Pass, I bought a load for my own use. Tell me what the going rate is and I'll do them for that minus 10% ?

Paul_13

Inlet on and torqued up, loom connected

th_IMAG0179.jpg

ECU box, need a cover for it.

th_IMAG0181.jpg

Which way does this go up? :lol: my mate is convinced its the opposite way to what I had it.

th_IMAG0182-1.jpg

Cold air intake mocked up

th_IMAG0183.jpg

th_IMAG0184.jpg

Underside rust removed and waxoil'd

th_IMAG0185.jpg

Fancy hub nuts :)

th_IMAG0186.jpg

Reflective lagging tape to keep the heat away, just an experiment see if it works

th_IMAG0187.jpg

th_IMAG0188.jpg

SurGie

Love the air intake :wub: thats the kind of thing im aiming for once iv had it sorted for a while, it will have just filter on the inlet for a while until i get round to getting what you have fitted, where did you get that from Paul ?

harryskid

Can see why you have been so busy now mate, looks good.

Jeff

Paul_13

Love the air intake :wub: thats the kind of thing im aiming for once iv had it sorted for a while, it will have just filter on the inlet for a while until i get round to getting what you have fitted, where did you get that from Paul ?

I got it off of Cheesegrater on here, not sure where he got it from though. I'm quite happy with it, hopefully keep temps down on the air intake side of things :)

Can see why you have been so busy now mate, looks good.Jeff

Yep, sorry about the delay buying the ecu. Recieved it now thanks :)

harryskid

No problem mate keep up the good work.

Jeff

Paul_13

Intake on and secured.... with cable ties

th_IMAG0196.jpg

Exhaust on

th_IMAG0198.jpg

Sneaky back box

th_IMAG0197.jpg

Mates new car :)

th_IMAG0201.jpg

harryskid

Are you going to get enough cold air down there, i found it played up but i did have extreme under bonnet temps.

Paul_13

th_IMAG0184.jpg

That's what the intake near the number plates for mate, I've wrapped some heat reflective tape around the airfilter inbetween the rad and filter.

Got the rad in place with minimum fuss, wired the rad plug back up and found a broken wire on the rad fan plug. The wire was broken right next to the spade terminal :( i've cut the plug off used a connector block with insulation tape. Used the test plug and the low speed and high speed fan work, Hurrah! :D

Driving lamp plug needed a wiggle and thats working. Fog light, indicators, sidelights, washer bottle pump all work. only thing that doesn't is the reverse light. Damn. Need a new one.

SurGie

Good work :)

When the filter is close to the inlet it gives more start up torque and further away give more at top end, at least i think thats how it works and i will find out for my self once mine is sorted.

I use that Ferrosol/WD40 spray inside my plugs, it helps them work and work better iv found.

Edited by SurGie

Paul_13

Cheers.

Im wrapped some around the carbon bit (shouldnt really need it there) and the two alloy ends which face the rad.

Metal water pipe in arch and fill/bleed coolant system, then a brief start up to see if it fires. I'll disconnect double ignition relay and crank a few times before hand of course.

Thats the job for tonight :)

harryskid

That's what the intake near the number plates for mate, I've wrapped some heat reflective tape around the airfilter inbetween the rad and filter.

Got the rad in place with minimum fuss, wired the rad plug back up and found a broken wire on the rad fan plug. The wire was broken right next to the spade terminal :( i've cut the plug off used a connector block with insulation tape. Used the test plug and the low speed and high speed fan work, Hurrah! :D

Driving lamp plug needed a wiggle and thats working. Fog light, indicators, sidelights, washer bottle pump all work. only thing that doesn't is the reverse light. Damn. Need a new one.

Nice one :D

Paul_13

th_VIDEO0006.jpg

:D

chipstick

Fair play paul. It's looking good in there!

Whats the plan for MOT etc? Are you going to run it over winter?

Paul_13

Will be in for MOT next weekend hopefully :) Just need someone to hurry up with a gear linkage :rolleyes:

It will have it's days out in winter, as the weathers bound to be better than summer in this country!

Dash back together need to sort out coin tray unless someone has one spare in black...

th_IMAG0209.jpg

Damn it looks red on camera, far from the reality!

th_IMAG0210.jpg

Just to lower the beam and install the brake bias valve. Also the MOT tester pointed out that the rear OS was weeping slightly so will remake that.

Also will be getting rid of the blanking plate, perspex and sunroof trims back on, or carbon skin :)

Paul_13

th_IMAG0217.jpg

Finishing touches :)

Just need to lower rear beam 20mm and sort the brakes out.

The brake pedal is clicking which is a bit odd, must be air in the lines.

SurGie

Looking good, did you end up fitting a modified 6 heat shield to protect the rubber the UJ ?

Paul_13

Just extended the original one, went to nick Hovis's heat shield but the clip snapped off :(

I'm going to look into protecting it more, don't want it setting on fire like VW's

I have got the rubber boot like you do, just the grommet that goes through the bulkhead/UJ

Looking like a real car again :)

th_IMAG0219.jpg

Edited by Paul_13

Paul_13

Lowered rear today to match the front, looks much better :)

th_IMAG0226.jpg

th_IMAG0227.jpg

th_IMAG0228.jpg

Make shift bar puller, worked nicely :)

th_IMAG0225.jpg

No wonder my rear brakes were acting odd, I had the disc on the left (205) on the back instead of 306 (RHD) on. You can notice the offset clearly. I had no idea of this when these went on over a year ago, mind you other factors came into play :rolleyes: A thread a while back bought this to my attention and though I better sort it.

th_IMAG0229.jpg

Paul_13

Catch tank in place :) Gave it a clean as there was loads of crap in there.

th_IMAG0233.jpg