• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

madspikes

[engine_work] Mad's - Supercharged Pug Project

M@tt

all good again :lol:

madspikes

What rubbish update I did last night! I spent ages going through progress then it all disappeared, then I just got fed up and banged up a load of pictures, and some of the wrong ones to boot!

The car is coming together... I'm finding really hard to plumb stuff together and not make it look like a dogs dinner! As you can see from the pictures i'm not doing very well at that! Any suggestion would be good.

Other issues I'm dealing with are a leaky diff case, and a broken horn! Oh and the other major one installing and setting up the idle valve and control to work with the MS2.

I did solve my non running between 800 and 1200rpm, but running either side of this band. Turns out some how I managed to get the crank signal wires the wrong way around! Now correct sweat as a nut. I love simple solutions.

This car is suffering from lack of time and money in getting 100% right, and its doing my head in and I'm starting to lose motivation. Aiming on getting on the road next weekend which should help... on the other hand any one want to bid me on the project pug?

Mad.

madspikes

I've been making further progress, but on all the little jobs that you dont think about, which soak up the time..... I have managed to tidy the engine bay up, and now looks like this, no more copper plumbing fittings!

DSC00722.JPG

I'm happy with how the engine bay is now looking. Getting a tax disc this afternoon, and hopefully will be on the road tomorrow!

The only major job left is tuning the idle valve.

Mad.

madspikes

Yea yea I know the time but just cant get back to sleep after baby woke me up!

Ran the car up properly yesterday, got it good and warm... No leaks!!! Boy is it noisy!

WARNING, These may hurt your ears! - Enjoy

Engine Running - Engine Bay

Nice steady idle

The down side there is still the rpm black hole at around 950rpm to 600 rpm... The ECU just loses sync with the crank. I think its got to be electrical noise on the crank sensor line, going to scope it, when I have a chance that is. The idle valve seem to work fine, but is very sensitive, duty cycle of 25% will give around 1800 rpm. Thats down to the air through the valve being boosted 'high' pressure and not atmosphere.

Should be able to take her for a little spin later as the tax is now valid!

Mad

madspikes

Went for a little drive this evening! Everything seem to work ok! Boys shes an animal!

Rev'ing boy racer style

Yes, its all black, and the rattling is the phone on the dash... The cluck at the start is me putting my seat belt on!

'Steady' test run

Mad. :)

madspikes

Has a great few hours in the garage yesterday....

Firstly the rpm whole sub 950prm. I connected up the scope and really didnt achieve much in working out the problem, other than further expecting noise was the issue. However I had a backup plan, the Madprofessor I sent me a little board to test which was supposed to solve noisy crank sensor signals in the MS. It bloody worked to, all of a sudden, I had a nice 800rpm idle all being controlled by ECU. Franky over the moon!

In addition to this I made the engine much more pleasing to the ear at idle! After trying a few things, I worked out alot of noise was being generated by air flow through the air circ valve. Queue some more playing around, and in the end I ended up with this... Basically two valves being used and not one.

You can just hear the superchager wine now!

newBit.JPG

But on the down side the idle valve stopped working on the way to work! Bugger....

Mad

madspikes

Time for an update!

In the last couple of weeks I've started working on the 205 again... Good time to start, in the freezing cold and started fitting these!

post-2857-1292792221_thumb.jpg Total bargain from someone on the forum.

Then due to the baby getting me up early then going back to sleep on me.... I ended up with these from ebay... should give me a drop of 25mm.

post-2857-1292792338.jpg

I started off by trying to get the pinch bolt out to remove the strut.... would it move, would it hell. After a few chops with the grinder, half of the bolt came out... so removed the strut and hub together so I can work on them in the warmth of the garage! The pinch bolt on the other side also didnt want to come out, but this time tried a different method. This time I just cut the bolt head off and then did the nut up on the other end to pull the bolt through, until it started to rotate, and with the addition of some WD40 it came out. Should have done this on the first one! You live and learn!

madspikes

I have also been playing around with some electronics in the garage. The car runs a Megasquirt ecu, and to log data you need to have a laptop connected which is a royal pain in the bottom. I was also looking for a small display, so I can monitor some on the ecu parameters whist driving. So I've been playing with one of palm III PDA and this software:

Palm Logger

It bloody worked straight away, no messing! Not only does it have a good little touch display but also provides a data logging capability and was dirt cheap!

Here it is up and working with my Megasquirt.

post-2857-1292793736.jpg

I have also built my own stimulator for the ECU which simulates the signal from the crank sensor. Another thing in the pipe line is k-type thermocouple amp for measuring the exhaust gas temp, which will hook into the ecu.

Mad.

madspikes

Not very exciting update... again...

Finally cracked on and got stuff moving!

Got the new spring mounted to the dampers, bloody hell I dont like spring compressors.

GazDampers.JPG

Then I cracked on and installed them the 205, along with new bolts (thanks Baz) and drop links. I've also pulled the front and read brake discs off before they become totality unusable! The next mechanical job is to drop the rear beam one click, which will be fun!

I'm also playing around with ECU, doing so tidying of the wring inside it, in an attempt at making last more than 5 minutes due to dody soldering!

This is after a couple hours of reworking most the extra connections on the board. Once I have finished doing all the ECU stuff I will post in more detail about it.

DSC00975.JPG

Mad.

pugpete1108

i like the idea of that palm logger.

does it hook up via a usb?

what model are you using?

pete

madspikes

Palm logger is serial - Thats why you have to use an old one!! I just connected it up, and it worked!

You just run a 'twisted' 3 wire serial cable between them.

To transfer from palm to PC you replay data back into the PC all but faster than real time.

Mad.

pugpete1108
Palm logger is serial - Thats why you have to use an old one!! I just connected it up, and it worked!

You just run a 'twisted' 3 wire serial cable between them.

To transfer from palm to PC you replay data back into the PC all but faster than real time.

Mad.

just posted in the other thread about this :lol:

madspikes

Progress - Progress has been slow! I pulled the beam apart hoping just check the shafts, bosh it back together with a few mm drop. The truth was some what different. Stripping the beam, initially while it was still on the car, during evenings in January wasnt the most fun thing in the world! But evenings are the only time I get to work on the car - from 7:30pm to 9pm is the normal time! As its the evening, I have to be quiet as dont want to upset the neighbours or wake my boys!

Anyways the first shafted looked ok, to me, but the forum boys badgered me into a rebuild and once the beam was off the car and the other shaft removed I was glad i did!

First side:

DSC00993.jpg

Second side:

DSC01009.jpg

Beam on the garage floor:

DSC01008.jpg

So now the beam is stripped and new shafts and bearings etc will be installed later in the week.

So other progress. The last time the car was on the road, I had a few items that were less than how I wanted it, and mainly for testing. I'm mainly talking about the PVC down pipe used to connect the air filter and the odd bit of 22mm copper pipe!

The white PVC down pipe has been replaced by this, which has a nice take off for the breather system.

DSC01014.jpg

DSC01016.jpg

The moc up of the new breather pipe: (its the pipe with the black tape on it, going from the oil filler to the air filter)

DSC01015.jpg

Mad. ;)

pugpete1108

oooh them shafts look past their best <_<

back to this palm logger, i gave up with the 3 series and bought a v for pennies and have got the software on there now and working.

if you want this cd for the 4.1 software at any time i'll send it to you?

what cable do you use to connect from the palm to the ecu?

madspikes

Thanks for the offer, but on mine already has 4.1 installed.

I just made up a 3 wire serial cable, with a twist. If my memory servers me right its pin 2 to 3 and 3 to 2 and 5 to 5....

Mad

madspikes

Back on all four paws! - Nice day for fixing the pug so cracked on....

Before...

side.JPG

Now... With new dampers, springs and refurb beam.

sideLower.JPG

Mad

Stolton

Excellent project :)

madspikes

Excellent project :)

Thanks! - Pissing me off at the moment that I dont have any spare time to finish the little jobs off and get it MOT'd and on the road!

Mad.

opticaltrigger

Hi Madspikes,

This looks like a great project,I've only skipped through it but I'm going to back up and have a proper read.

Out of interest,How did you get on with the fueling of it Madspikes.Did you install bigger injectors and what runs them?

Very nice project,love it.

All the best O.T.

Edited by opticaltrigger

madspikes

Hi Madspikes,

This looks like a great project,I've only skipped through it but I'm going to back up and have a proper read.

Out of interest,How did you get on with the fueling of it Madspikes.Did you install bigger injectors and what runs them?

Very nice project,love it.

All the best O.T.

Thanks OT.

Fueling, wise its running a megasquirt ecu with some red top saab turbo injectors, its also running saab turbo spark plugs as well!

Quick up date time! Not much has changed since the last update, other I;ve only gone and got an MOT!!!! woop woop!

Ok, no tax yet, I;ll get that next week on the first of the month. The car idles ok, still a little odd at times but miles better than it has before. The main issue that I havent had a chance to look at as the car has been stationary, is the off idle response.. The car is almost undriveable at the moment! Its truly f***ing awful, but I'm sure a few tweaks of the MS will sort that.

Mad.

madspikes

Its back! The wee beasty is back on the road!

Got a new tax disc on the 1st and we're now in business!

The off idle tune was fix, well fixed in a loose sense, as its now drivable not very friendly but usable! I turned off all the acceleration enrichment settings, and made sure that idle value does close on the slightest touch of the accelerator. Its still a bit kangaroo like in first at low rpm, will look into to it, but it just could be

a) thats how gtis are,

B) an result of having the charger pre throttle,

c) needs more tuning

d) something I haven't thought of!

When driving shes good, not given it full chat yet, still getting use to it again, and need to make sure there is a good tune in there first. First little drive she popped on every gear change, but a little tweak the fueling and all was good. I went for a little drive with whist logging data from the ECU, then stopped. I then loaded the log into turner studio and let the software do an auto tune on it. The second drive was much better. I plan to do this a few more times before I start poking the data logs myself. Ideally I need to a co-pilot to tune whist driving, but my man for doing this isnt available.. So need to try and teach another mate what to do.... I'm too cheap to get it on a rolling road at the moment.

I'll try and get some pictures and video up at some point.

Roll on pug fest!

Mad.

madspikes

Took the car to work yesterday, still driving it like a granny...

I've come to the conclusion that some of the off idle is down to the Drev gearbox 1st gear ratios... but getting use to it.

I'm find the car lively to drive, handling wise. I think the front dampers need adjusting as they dont feel balanced, I also need to revisit the tracking.

The brake are bedding in nicely, after a couple of big stop stops she seem to be braking straight and true.

Map wise it needs alot of work, just doent feel right, feels like there is more to come - Might have to rolling road it after all! I'lll do some more poking first.

Driving it, its quite lazy really, at 60mph i'm hardly using and throttle... and its quite refined. It idles well, so well, that a couple of time I thought it had stalled it was so quiet!!

Mad.

madspikes

So its been a month since the MOT, and been using it as my daily driver since the beginning of the month... So whats it been like...

Well I have been tweaking the map and it seems to be going well. Need to get the timing light out to double check that the actual advance I think I'm putting is correct, but all seems good at the moment.

The car is very drivable, and at 70mph there is so little load that that the dump valves are still active! Of idle is good, which I find shocking! There still is still a little oscillation of (+/- 200rpm or so) at idle some times.

I've only opened the bonnet 4 times... Twice due to a 'click, click' from the starter motor, once to fix the 'click click' - the fix was to re-make the battery connections are and tighten the power feed to the starter motor; job done. The only other time was to check the fluids. I'm a happy boy.

Did a little test the other night, here is my 0to60mph data log. Note that I'm running a gearbox from a 306 derv and not a gti box. By may calculations 0 to 60 was 6.7seconds, not bad given the poor traction in 1st gear!

post-2857-0-29816800-1308861383_thumb.jpg

Mad

madspikes

I had to open my mouth! Yesterday morning the car started, and idled fine... then stop... on restarting it ran like a bag of spanners! So had to grab the wifes car to get to work.

Then in the evening went to investigate, started and ran fine.. Left it to idle for a while, and stilll fine. Checked everything over and changed the coil pack. Then this morning, ran like a bag of spanners... So took a little while to investigate... and it seems that the plug in no 4 cylinder had died! I put in the old set of plugs, and it ran fine.

That new set of plugs has only done 400 miles!!! But I guess thats life!

mad.

Edited by madspikes

opticaltrigger

Great stuff Madspikes,keep it up mate,I love this one right up my street.

This variance in the idle speed you mentioned of around 200 rpm is an interesting one though.It would be good to figure that just in case the cause has any reference to other little niggles that your getting.But all the same...great one.

All the best

O.T.

Edited by opticaltrigger