• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

madspikes

[engine_work] Mad's - Supercharged Pug Project

madspikes

In car video at retro rides 2011.

Not the best quality, I mounted the camera on the mirror, which in hind sight wasn't the best idea!

Mad. :blink:

Edited by madspikes

madspikes

Great stuff Madspikes,keep it up mate,I love this one right up my street.

This variance in the idle speed you mentioned of around 200 rpm is an interesting one though.It would be good to figure that just in case the cause has any reference to other little niggles that your getting.But all the same...great one.

All the best

O.T.

Thanks.

Idle is much better these days.

The retro rides 300 mile trip took its toll on the pug. The oil filler hose split at the block on the way, so plastered the underside of the car in oil, which I had only changed the day before. Easy fix but then had to wait for more oil to arrive with a mate! Then whist poking around the car I noticed I've blown two holes in the back box... oh well just means I need to extend the patch I added two years ago! Then on the trip home, the speedo gave up, not too much of an issue as had my GPS.

All this added to the fact that I have one lower ball joint on the way out...

Oh the joys...

Me at retro rides, I'm the one lying under the car! Thanks for picture lemmingzappa. :rolleyes:

312485_10150282887412311_636147310_7385641_3627825_n.jpg

I'm also in the process of trying to arrange some rolling road time, hire the a rolling road and map it with a mate. However I think this may have to wait due to the other issues that need to be fixed first, as it is my daily driver!

Mad.

madspikes

Time for a little update date.

To be honest there isnt much to report, I have been using the car everyday and it just seem to work not that I fixed the speedo! I changed the top mounts for BBM items, that was a great little upgrade! The Mega Squirt seems to behaving its self, idle is good and the car runs well. I have also removed the oil cooler as I dont really need it, I may put it back on when track days are on the cards but for the moment, I;m better off without it. The torque low down is a little too much, sometimes you have to work hard to stop the wheels spinning up in the lower gears.

I think the lower arms could do with replacing, the lower ball joints were getting slack last time I looked and that was a little while ago!! Bar the lower arms, the only other changes planned are:

- Heated mirror upgrade, I have ideas in this just need to find the time

- Tweak the ECU, so it dont take so much crank to start it - Starts fine, but not first flick like it use to.

Thats about it really.

Mad.

madspikes

Update:

Not much to report. Idle I think is finally sorted, there was a dodgy 0v line for the sensors which was causing spikes in the throttle sensor signal which was stuffing up the idle control. I expect there were spikes on the other signals (map and ait) as the car runs better now, not that it ran badly before!!

I've bought a pair of Toyos to go on the front, which will be fitted when the new front arms are fitted and tracked up, still waiting for them to turn up!!

Heated mirrors are still work in progress - work got hyper busy before Christmas then wife had me doing family stuff as not much done on the 205.

Mad.

pugpete1108

still using it daily?

what idle valve you using?i need to set one up on my ms engine soonish. was going for a 3 wire bosch one?

madspikes

still using it daily?

what idle valve you using?i need to set one up on my ms engine soonish. was going for a 3 wire bosch one?

Yes, the car is still being used every day, its basically MY car so if I go anywhere on my own I use the 205. Yesterday it was down on the bump stops with hard-core going to the tip.

I'm using a 3 wire jobbie from a volvo, still a non stepper motor type. I'm using a special box of ticks, to convert the 2 wire signal from the MS to a 3 wire signal for the idle valve. I've found the 3 wire better than the 2 wire, seems to be more predictable.

What MS code are you going to use?

Mad.

madspikes

I would like retract the statement that I use it every day... The little s***e wouldn't start this morning! Bloody jinxed it didn't I!

The new lower arm also arrived today, so instead of fitting them i'm going to fixing the bloody thing!

Just you just love cars!

Mad.

madspikes

Finally found some time to fit the new lower front arms... Totally transformed the car, one of the best and noticeable changes I've made to the car! Taken the car from feeling like a old s*itter into a new car, feels all tight! Bloody awesome!

I wish I'd done it sooner!!

mad.

pugpete1108

I'm using ms1 on mine. I do believe it is already set up to run a 3 wire non stepper.

madspikes

I'm using ms1 on mine. I do believe it is already set up to run a 3 wire non stepper.

Must have had some mods done then, as I'm sure by default the hardware is not setup to use PW type valves and I can remember seeing mods on the MS site for a 3 wire valve, but it has been a while since I looked.

Mad..

madspikes

Not much to report - Had to replace the rack due to excessive play. Rolling road finally booked for mid June.... See how much power she really makes and how far off my tune really is... and how disappointed its going to make me!

Still daily driver, still just used and abused.

Mad.

madspikes

Got the old girl on the dyno, after a few small tweak 179bhp running on tesco 95 fuel cant be bad.

dyno.jpg

• Like 1

Anthony

When it comes to a quick 8v, you're going to struggle to find one with a more accessable powerband frankly - I make that over 150lbft / 85% peak torque from 2600 through 6100rpm - and that's got to make for an effortlessly quick 205, particularly on the road.

Well done - great result, particularly given it's all your own work :D

madspikes

Thanks Anthony. However it would never have been achieved without the support of members of this forum. Big thanks guys.

Its great I love it! Everyone needs a supercharger!

I'm just trying to stop myself buying a smaller pulley for the charger to up the boost... 6psi probably enough for a standard engine!

Mad.

welshpug

why don't you see how much a standard engine will take :ph34r: cheap enough to replace these 8 valvers :lol:

Tom Fenton

6psi probably enough for a standard engine!

Rubbish, 6psi is no good to man nor beast! 1 bar is enough for a standard engine!

allanallen

Good effort mad!! I'm sure it'll stand at least 9psi though.......

BusEngineer

why not make it a round 10psi!! ;)

madspikes

I'm not going to get that much boost out the charger!

stef205

What pulley are you using at the moment? I plan to use a -17% pulley. I know you can get a -20% pulley but I'm unsure if the charger would take it.

(null)

madspikes

I'm using the standard pulley. If you spin the charger too fast the efficiency really starts to drop off, but I cant remember the numbers. If I was going to change the pulley on my install I'd stick in the 19% pulley!

Mad

stef205

That's quite a step up from the standard -15% pulley @ 7000rpm with a -19 % there could be a chance you will over rev the charger.

(null)

kyepan

How much torque!?!?! Well done that man. Well done indeed.