• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

madspikes

[engine_work] Mad's - Supercharged Pug Project

Tom Fenton

Yes there is a known spec for it, basically will read just over 1 bar boost pressure at 5v.

madspikes

Managed to sneak out into the garage this evening for half an hour! Tonight the plan was to salvage another oil pressure sensor and test it. One of my spare block gave up its sensor easily, then onto the testing as I'm not putting another duffer onto my engine!

This is my home made test rig....

test.jpg

Yes its a foot pump, some old hose and a multi meter!

The resistance of the sensor should decresses as pressure incresses with the resistance measured between the spade connector and the metal body of the sensor.

Here are the resistance measurments vs pressure.

1 bar (Atm) : 300ohms

2 bar : 216

3 bar : 170

4 bar : 130

5 bar : 114

The valves are quite rough, but they are good enough to make me believe the sensor works fine.

Mad. :(

Edited by madspikes

davenport

love the test rig chap.....

the welding on the charger housing is tidy... cast ally is never the easiest thing to do....

Edited by davenport

DrSarty
love the test rig chap.....

Me too. I love initiative.

We also have a pencil and the end of a block of wood in shot, making it an even more special moment. I bet you smiled when it worked. :(

Oooh..just seen the side cutters right of frame. Painted floor too. I would exchange that scene for where I am in a heartbeat.

Edited by DrSarty

madspikes
I would exchange that scene for where I am in a heartbeat.

Yea, oakhamption isnt that great is it! B)

The wood and pencil are just random things around the floor.... What has just been left of of shot are the old baking trays used as oil drip trays, the large bag of old baby clothes being used as rags, a couple of old engine blocks... some roofing felt... Just to think it was spotless when I was building the engine and now a couple months later... a total tip!

I didnt post pictures charger outlet test device.... That didnt work too well... I didnt think that MDF wouldnt be air tight! :(

Mad.

madspikes

Not an update as such, just ramblings about whats going to happen over the next few days!

Things have been slowly progressing, but in the next few days things are really going to get a move on! Even though the car is sitting on the drive with no front wheel is the same position as it has for the last year, and the engine has only run for 3minutes. I have made the bold step of booking an MOT for next tuesday! Mad I know, but its the only way the car is going to get on the road for september when I need to start using it! I sorted the insurance out yesterday, £3k agreed value, 6k miles only £333, well happy about that.

Things still to do well, I need to address the oil breathers - From what I can gather from what people have said in other posts just sticking an filter on the end of oil filler cap is an MOT fail, but piping this to a catch tank with that being filtered isnt. Really? I plan for the rest of the oil filler / beather system to remain standard, so thats standard bar the two small pipes to the oil fillter cap.

Lets see what else, Need to run the engine up to temp blead the coolant system, which is a little hard as part of the install is in the way of one of the blead valves (the one by bulk head). Then change the oil, filter etc. Also, how offten do people change their fuel filters? I dont remember ever changing mine, so should change that as well.

I've also got to do things like cleaning up brake discs etc ready for the MOT.

I've also got to tweak the idle emission for the MOT. For pre cat cars, its just idle emissons that are tested isnt it, and a 14.7:1 AFR should do it nicely?

Really looking forward to getting the old girl back on the road, the noise from that supercharged v8 thing they had on the last episode of Top Gear really reminded me of the noise the Supercharged Pug makes!

So beware, if you see a really shabby multi coloured 205 coming along, it could be me enjoying supercharger power!

Mad. :D

Tom Fenton

Re: breathers, I have left the standard set up in place, with the large bore pipe from the filler pot cap going into the pipe that runs from my air filter to my turbo inlet to provide some vacuum through the system. So far seems to be working well, with no gunge building up anywhere.

tom_m
This is my home made test rig....

test.jpg

not to piss on your bonfire, but that late (16v) type of sensor can give low readings on early looms. the metal mushroom style is the OE spec for an 8v gti loom as far as i know.

madspikes

I have four sensors all of which came from 8v engines, 2 all metal ones and 2 like the one pictured. They all, bar the broken one gave the same resistance numbers. The one in the car was totally open circuit... Also the dial didnt move at all when the ignition was switched on, now it moves to the zero position as expected.

Intresting idea on the breather system... The charger does have a vacumm take off...... So I could use that maybe... Hummm.

Mad. :D

madspikes

Setting about getting the 205 ready for the MOT today, started late due to getting stuck in traffic coming back from the smoke! All was going well, got everything banged on ready to start running it up.

1st Issue.

Started 2nd turn of the key, engine ran fine up to 71C then stopped and wouldnt restart for a few minutes. Then it restarted fine and ran for another 30 seconds and stopped again. If the coolant sensor was disconnected it all ran fine.... Very odd.

2nd Issue.

The alternator has packup!!

3rd Issue.

Might not be an issue... Oil pressure looked a little on the low side, 2nd mark... was expecting more from cold and idle.

All fun and games!

Issue Thread!

madspikes

Been working my butt off to get the car ready for the MOT, and I think shes ready!

- Ok so the fuel pump is on all the time the ignition is on, but that should do.

- Coolant warning circuit fixed!

- New front brake discs

Seems all good, I even had a test paint with the rear 1/4.

img_2327.jpg

What do we think? Stain black goodness.

And the front view - NOT painted

img_2328.jpg

Edited by madspikes

madspikes

IT PASSED!!!

Yes, the very nice man gave me the green sheet!!!!

The downside is there is an oil leak, that might be clutch end crank seal... We did question it when we fitted it... bugger.

Time to go buy some tax and do some slow miles.....

Mad.

tom_m
The downside is there is an oil leak, that might be clutch end crank seal... We did question it when we fitted it... bugger.

if in doubt, whip it out! :)

EdCherry

Congratulations on the pass, and I really like it in the black.

madspikes

I think it will look the dogs with the trim "back to blacked" and a nice clean stripe!

Going to investigate the oil leak.... before pullying all apart again.

Cant do any running as bought the wrong tax disc... got one that start in september! Bugger.

Mad.

madspikes

Just a quick up date...

- Changed the crank oil seal gearbox end as it looked like this was leaking... but I fear its still leaking.. Needs even more investigation. :angry:

- Set about setting up the idle valve.. .. however the transistor for the idle valve has given up the ghost this evening! Got more on order now! :)

- Changed the battery terminal - This went fine! :lol:

- Ran power to the charge cooler pump

When for a spin this evening... I'd forgotten how much torque there is.... Even though the engine has a hand fully of miles she pulls like a train from 1000rpm in 5th gear just light touching the throttle.

Now tomorrow it gets pressed into being a daily driver... B)

Running in: 2 miles down - 998 miles to go!

Mad. :ph34r:

madspikes

Bloody great oil leak!

I thought the oil leak had been fixed by the replacement crank seal, but no. Looked under the car today when I got home... the subframe below the steering rack was covered in oil - although not much movement on the dip stick.

So this evening I gave the sump a good looking at and found a number of the bolts circled in red not very tight. The 1st picture below is of the old seal before I changed it.

post-2857-1252012756_thumb.jpg

Second picture is of the new installed oil seal.

post-2857-1252012768_thumb.jpg

any ideas on the oil leak?

Could it just be these bolts? The main of the oil is dripping from the bottom of the engine block in the right of the top picture.

Other than this, the car is great - The map needs leaning out now the injectors have been cleaned!

Mad. :mellow:

welshpug

hockey stick seals either side of the main bearing cap?

tidypug

Ditto with Welshpug, I had the same problem the seals will have snapped when the bearing cap was installed. Luckily you can change them in situ.

madspikes
hockey stick seals either side of the main bearing cap?

You know when someone tells you something deep down already knew but did want to believe it! Hock seals you say... Oh joy, gearbox out again, that will please the wife.

I wouldnt mind so much if it was 100% its this thats leaking.

I'm losing the 205 love at the moment.

Mad. :lol::o:(

madspikes

Bloody thing is still leaking oil! I cant decide if its engine or gearbox or both!

Anyone local fancy having a look and trying to source the problem - or help change seals?

Other than that its f**king gearbox out next weekend to change the hockey seals...

I am thinking about a different gearbox, something with a longer 5th gear. Need to do some research... Maybe a turbo Drev box?

I can report that now the car as about 100miles on it, and the fueling is slowly being sorted... She goes like a rocket ship! and I've only used 1/2 throttle and 3000rpm!

I am finding the love, untill I look at the oil leak!

Mad

richsmells
Anyone local fancy having a look and trying to source the problem - or help change seals?

I can give you a hand. I'm no expert but alright with a spanner and an extra pair of hands :blink:

What did you seal the sump and sandwich plate with?

Edited by richsmells

Tom Fenton

Gearbox wise- I'm running the 1600 box in my car, and with 205 ft/lb of torque makes for entertainingly rapid progress. However I also have a Xsara VTS box that will be going in at some point to make it a bit more tolerable at cruising speed- plus the fact that I think the torque will pull the longer gearing rather well.

madspikes

The pugs now done 130miles and all seems well, bar the speedo (now using a sat nav for a speedo!) and the dam oil leak. The leak only happens while the engine is running, and only running. There is a few drops shortly after, but nothing else. Got to work to day, and was playing the idle mixture and left a created a little puddle in the car park... I didnt, the car did! :blush:

Hockeys seal, defo a flywheel off job I'd guess so.

Where is the best place to get the hockey seals?

What about the flywheel bolts, I guess I should also renew these as they have been reused a few times now.

If its only pug, anyone got the part numbers to hand? If not I'll try and get back into service box as my main dealer is a little slow... Took them 30minutes to work out which wipers to put on a mates 306!

Mad. :):blush:

welshpug

probably easiest to get the seals from Peugeot seeing as you'd be making the trip for the flywheel bolts anyway, I would personally replace them if they've been torqued up a few times, though the torque setting isn't that high.

0127 05 BEARING SEAL LONG 85

0537 13 FLYWHEEL SCREW DIAM 9X100-22