• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

madspikes

[engine_work] Mad's - Supercharged Pug Project

NFS

Wetter the better I heard......

yep indeed, check your paper often you will see little spots if its clogging, and use a sponge to squeeze water onto the panel

allye

yep indeed, check your paper often you will see little spots if its clogging, and use a sponge to squeeze water onto the panel

That's what I meant, yup.

madspikes

Thanks for the tips.

Take 2... 2500 grit, with plenty of soapy water and stright line sanding. The rubbing worked so much better when really wet! :P

10043356045_db5cb3bf06_z.jpg
bonnet by madspikes, on Flickr

Ok, there is still some slight orange peal but as there is no 'undo' feature when doing this I'm stopping, whist I'm happy with the result!

Bonnet done, only the rest of the car to go!

Mad.

Edited by madspikes

NFS

Looks good, and your right for stopping when you felt comfortable.

Anthony

Looks good in the photos, and credit on you for giving it a go yourself (and seemingly doing a pretty good job) :)

madspikes

Looks good in the photos, and credit on you for giving it a go yourself (and seemingly doing a pretty good job) :)

Thanks. You may have noticed I'm not one to follow the norm! If someone says what I'm thinking about doing can't be dine then that makes me more determine!

madspikes

Booted!

Boot all primered - The most bent panel on the car! The whiter areas are where i've had to do some filling and more standing etc.

9968279226_5825a84fbb_z.jpg
boot primer by madspikes, on Flickr

All glossed... The last main panel to paint. Getting the hang of this painting lark! Finish is quite good straight out the can.

9968369443_14807abd6e_z.jpg
boot top coat by madspikes, on Flickr

Just for fun.. The old ones are the best!

10229297304_d4197d6ce4_z.jpg
dirty by madspikes, on Flickr

Buffed..

10273087616_63a656dc0d_z.jpg
boot by madspikes, on Flickr

Not looking to shabby! Back end given a quick clean.

10273086154_9e682f80fc_z.jpg
boot by madspikes, on Flickr

The 2500 grit is working really well. Really getting the hang of the wet sanding and polishing. Quite enjoyable really.

Clive

Edited by madspikes
  • Like 1

madspikes

Yesterday I put the old girl back onto all for paws and took her outside for the first time since the repaint! I was somewhat scared that once out in the cold light of day it would look s*ite. However, bar the lower section of the passenger door it looks great, ok its no £1500 pro job, but im very happy with it, and with out looking carefully and opening the doors I'm sure you wouldnt notice that it has been painted.

post-2857-0-33306100-1387121029_thumb.jpg

Clive

madspikes

Finished work for Christmas, kids still at school and wife out... Garage time!!!

Now that I've proved that the Saxo pump to 307 pipes to Xsara rack combo works - Did a quick test using hose clips with the pump on the floor, I now should fit it properly!

The only place left for the pump was the battery tray (See below). I used the Saxo mounting bracket and some angle to mount it to the battery tray, look quite OE.

11462399263_ab6002bbff_z.jpg

pump by madspikes, on Flickr

So on to my next problem; mount the expansion tank for the charge cooler. This position (see below) is about the only space left for it in the ending bay! I just need to come up with a sensible braket! Any designs gratefully received!

11462270454_cb0cac81cd_z.jpg
expansion bottle by madspikes, on Flickr

CLive

stef205

What about a alloy header tank then have a bracket welded to it

Weser

what about a combo mount off the strut that holds the charge cooler expansion tank and the power steering reservoir

madspikes

What about a alloy header tank then have a bracket welded to it

I think there would be too much heat transfer from the hot main expansion tank to the charger cooler tank, which wouldnt be ideal.

what about a combo mount off the strut that holds the charge cooler expansion tank and the power steering reservoir

This kind of what I'm thinking.. Think of using some bar to come off a plate from the strut top, to the charge cooler tank.

dcc

what about a 90 bracket for the coilpack, and mount it where the coilpack is.

madspikes

Now for something slightly different, badge refurb....

So from this:

12267873375_2a45dce708_z.jpg
badge referb by madspikes, on Flickr

to this:

12268038733_9903702a8e_z.jpg
badge referb by madspikes, on Flickr

and finally to this:

12268331874_489e84d023_z.jpg[/url
badge referb by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/95792991@N05/]madspikes, on Flickr

This "GTi" stickers can from someone on the forum a while ago, and the carbon effect came from ebay for a few £s.. Not to everyones taste, but I like it.

I'm not sure if I need to lacquer them once they are finished.

Clive

rallyeash

I like the quarter badges!

madspikes

Small update....

In an attempt to use every space inch in the engine bay... I have move the 'Shut the box' to within the slam panel. Needs finishing, but happy with it so far. The box is actually bolted to a bracket welded to the car shell and not the slam panel.

12886844743_b76637c721_z.jpg
shut the box New location! by madspikes, on Flickr

I have also finished up mounting the PAS pump and charge cooler header tank. The header tank is mounted using a simple triangle bracket that bolts to the car.

12881164384_76ef2df585_z.jpg
charge cooler tank by madspikes, on Flickr

12880772535_389839a570_z.jpg
pas pump by madspikes, on Flickr

stef205

nice to see your still going with this clive :)

madspikes

Things are coming together.... Just taking time, one expected Job leads to 2 you hadn't planned for.

madspikes

It never fails to surprise me how long simple jobs take and that one job leads to two you hadn’t even thought about... 1hr turned into 3 in a blink of an eye!

I am making good progress, PAS system in nearly there, just need to wire in the 'on' for the relay. Hydraulics and mounting all done, system also flushed and re-bleed.

Slightly strange concept for me, as I'm working on looks as well as oily bits - current mainly the slam panel and front valance at the moment.

Still not anywhere near finished but getting there:

13338587055_7dd2aa686f_z.jpg
shut the box by madspikes, on Flickr

The idea behind using f-glass is that when using jump leads, the +ve lead will not have any metal to short to in the area of the shut the box - thats the idea anyway!

Mad.

GLPoomobile

Hi Clive

Can I ask if you have any idea how much you spent on all the paint? Did you use any lacquer over the gloss? Also where did you get your paint and did you use a 205 white paint code, or did you just pick a generic white?

madspikes

Hay no problem, I have been meaning to do that calculation for a while.

Primer x 10 @ 2.36

Filler Primer x 5 @ 3.37

Gloss x 20 @ 2.36

= £68.77

All cans were ECP Hycote... nothing but the cheapest for my Pug! :)

I have enough paint left for the front valance, and probably some spare.

No, not used any lacquer as its a 'plain' colour.

Clive

madspikes

Simple job I thought, fix the coolant temp gauge, I knew wire wasn't connected to the sensor. Once connected, still not working. Rip the dash apart and yes the gauge is buggered! Grrr. 5 minutes into a couple of hours!

G

madspikes

Fully aiming to get the car on the road for next year... So with work not being quite so mental I managed to find some time to work on the pug.

Gave the old girl a good hover out... Not looking too shabby now.

15226995355_54f8455614.jpgSep 14 by madspikes, on Flickr

I have also been working on fitting the battery into the boot, pictures to follow once completed.

Whist the car was out of the garage, I let it run up to temp and blipped the throttle a few times to clear it out...

15040189759_0003b97808.jpgSep 14 by madspikes, on Flickr

Its only water and rust... Just cleared the exhaust out...

Mad.

madspikes

Slow progress.... But I have been working on sorting the red strips out... The front was really bust, but luckly I found a sliver one in my mums garage, as you do! A few quick coats of paint... Doesnt look too shabby!

16073098102_6dc8fd16a1_z.jpg
DSC_0053 by madspikes, on Flickr

Before anyone asks, the white on the bumpers isnt over spay, I believe its transfer from my overals from when I painted the living room!

Best I can do for a picture of the side...

16043353996_150958903d_z.jpg
Red stripe! by madspikes, on Flickr

Clive

Edited by madspikes

stef205

glad to see your still pressing on with things clive, will it make pugfest this year?