• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

madspikes

[engine_work] Mad's - Supercharged Pug Project

madspikes

That's quite a step up from the standard -15% pulley @ 7000rpm with a -19 % there could be a chance you will over rev the charger.

(null)

My limit is set to 6500 rpm... and lower engine speed is where I use it the most so if the rev limit needed to tweaked back it a bit more then that would be fine. But its all hassle. Pulley the pulley off looks like real hassle, the I have to take of all the inlet manifold and stuff to get the charger out.

Maybe in the new year...

How much torque!?!?! Well done that man. Well done indeed.

Enough to be going on with at the moment!!! Thanks!

stef205

yeah they have to be heated, im lucky i have a merc m45 looks the same as the mini but uses a 16mm shaft and key way just pops off. Although i will be worth the hastle.

madspikes

Track day prep - Keevil on Friday.

Bleeding brakes, simple job... However no fluid coming coming out of one of the rear bleed valves! dam it! Removed the reduction valve (or whatever its called) smack it with a hammer a couple of times, jobs a good'en, all back working again.

Finally something that went right!

Already fitted some Mintex 1144s...

Just got to change the aux (super charger belt), and re-bush the gear linkage. Hopefully, that should go well. Then we're ready!!

Mad.

madspikes

After a great day on track, well bar exploding the backbox the car has now been SORN. Well, I had to buy a bigger family car so that meant either selling the 306 HDI or 205, or taking the 205 off the road. So i've taken the chance to take the 205 off the road for the winter. Its amazingly in my garage, never had room for a car in there before, but after much shifting of stuff the 205 is in! Much to my surprise there is room to work around it as well.

My problem is what tinkering to do... ok so it needs:

- Gearbox change

- Engine leak fixed

- New backbox

- Paint work?

Not sure what else if anything I should look at?

Mad

madspikes

A box off a 306 Diesel of some description. Its great for motorways, but as the car only goes on a motorway once a year its a little pointless! The gearing is a little too long, plus it leaks oil big time.

http://forum.205gtid...ic=66898&st=178

Looking back at that post, its not correct - I think the box must have came from something other than a D-Turbo... as the ratios are even longer than the ones stated in that post.

Mad.

Edited by madspikes

stef205

I've got the 1600 box on mine and its abit short, got a td box here but unsure on wether to use it or not. As with you it hardly sees motorways. Maybe a 1900 box is the way to go being in the middle of the two.

madspikes

That was my thinking... I have a 1900 box sat in the garage, so should be good all around. As I plan to use the car for more trackdays, the 1600 box is just going to be too short....

Did you fix your boost leak?

Mad.

Edited by madspikes

stef205

Yes it was on the join from the out let from the charger not the mounting face all sorted although I only gained 1psi I've got a -17% pulley to send with the charger that Jon speed racing are going to fit for £10.

I think I will try hunt for a 1900 box supercharger has almost killed my clutch anyway.

(null)

madspikes

Small update....

Track day pictures from Sepember.

post-2857-0-32719700-1361702084_thumb.jpg

post-2857-0-74076400-1361702093_thumb.jpg

post-2857-0-63054200-1361702108_thumb.jpg

Edited by madspikes

madspikes

So since the trackday in September the Pug has been in the garage, the first time ever that I have had a car in the garage since I moved in. I have to say that having a car in the garage is great, ok so space is, and remove to move around is a total mare, but I it does mean that can have some heat and work on the car when its raining! It also mean that I can pop out and do 30minutes, and then leave stuff as is and not put everything away, so next time I can crack on stright away.

So what have I been doing, well...

I got myself a 2001 Xsara VTS rack for a very good price, and replaced the track arms and installed the rack into the 205. It fits just, without any modifications. The down side is that its the later rack so its 2.5 / 2.6 turns lock to lock (which is too much of an issue really), but more of an issue is the silly push fit PAS hoses. I have yet to source any suitable hoses - but expect to grab some 206 items, when I have some time. I have sourced a Saxo pump, and have been trying to work out where in the hell to fit it in my engine bay. Having searched the forum, I have only really found one that will work in my engine bay, and that means moving the battery, which is a pain in its self. After looking ebay, I have discovered the 307 uses a electric PAS pump, I need to get the measurements to see if it’s more compact.

Also whist the car was in the garage I have replaced the Derv gearbox with a standard 1.9 unit I had knocking around, I hope I've picked a working unit. The Derv unit wasn’t any good on track, great in motorways but as the car only goes on the motorway once a year wasn’t really worth it.

I have also replaced the driveshaft CV boots and intermediate shaft bearing.

Now the car the car has been put back out into the cold, so the IKEA kitchen can be stored in there, until I can fit it

So what next... Fit a kitchen!

If anyone has some 307 or 206 PAS hoes please drop me a line.

Mad.

stef205

Good to hear your still going with this mad. I hope it will make it to pugfest this year. Did you manage to up the boost? I've just sent mine off for a pulley change.

madspikes

No, I've decided that for the moment I'd stay with the current boost level and improve the rest of the car!

madspikes

I got bored of the 'rat' satin black look of the old Pug and after seeing many far too many very nice white examples around I decided I wanted a white GTi. Selling up was out of the question, just too attached to the old girl, and due to having very shallow pockets and a wife a professional respray was out of the question. So I hatched a plan... I painted the car black using rattle cans with naff all prep and it didn’t look too bad, so why in the hell couldn’t I do the same but in white, but this time spend a lot more time on prep. With a box load of paint from Euro carparts bought whist in one of their sales! I was ready to go!

I started off small - The front grill.

Rubbed down.

9187874098_0173e8384d.jpg
205 stuff by madspikes, on Flickr

Build primer... No pic.

White primer.

9187870428_5557a6187b.jpg

While Gloss

9185067043_6a789478a6.jpg

I'm happy with the result, a little wet sanding to finish and all will be good.

Better pics next time!

Mad.

• Like 1

madspikes

Started work on the drivers door...

The door seem straight bar a patch above the door handle. I'm guessing that some tow-rag had try and levered the door handle off at some point. It took much more filler than I expected to straighten it out.

9222631558_01fb3a47ef.jpg
door rub down with filler by madspikes, on Flickr

Filler primer over the rough bits.

9222628858_84144c043c.jpg
filler primer on door by madspikes, on Flickr

After a small bit of sanding back, I primed the door, with white primer. Total mare.. a couple of massive runs. Never had paint run like this before.

9219847393_a60120739f.jpg
door primed badly, worst run ever by madspikes, on Flickr

After more sanding, and more primer, it looked ok.

9246682552_f29f69c2cd.jpg
door primer, no runs! by madspikes, on Flickr

Decided that for the final coat, I'll take the mirror off.

Mad.

madspikes

Picked this for £35 from the local breakers a few weeks ago. Very good nick, really happy.

9187877566_b600d719b8.jpg

Marked for Areo Catches.

9244933641_78b4e70e46.jpg
Bonnet, catches by madspikes, on Flickr

Holes for Aero Catches.

9247717204_c8862f6b23.jpg
bonnet, holes for catches by madspikes, on Flickr

Test fit - all good.

9247724826_744a62a436.jpg
bonnet, test fit by madspikes, on Flickr

Inital rub down - not quite as stright as first appeared, but not too bad.

9247726680_f2fa6518c8.jpg
bonnet, initial prep by madspikes, on Flickr

Mad

Wes

you're crazy! is it my fault your doing it white after seeing my car ;):P

madspikes

I'm never one to follow the norm! If it ends up looking s*ite, then I can always back to black it!

Didn't some one say some one something like through insanity comes brilliance.

May have something to do with your, Al's and the shiny racing 205!

Eff

MAd

Alan77

:D

Brilliant!...

I'll pop round in my shiny white 205 and see how you're getting on...

damo

Looking good mate :) nice to see it back on the road again.

madspikes

Looking good mate :) nice to see it back on the road again.

Do you mean, "Will be nice to see it back on the road again" :P

- March 2014 is the plan for back on the road.

No progress this week, as been away with work and Pugfest.

madspikes

Managed to sneak out into the garage this evening... Wish I hadn’t now! :(

After rubbing down, note the small pits and cracks. Thought was that a nice coat of build primer will sort that...
Before build primer....
9330928434_1bb5f47971.jpg

rear 1/4 by madspikes, on Flickr

After build primer.... Oh bugger!

9328135689_ba6b77f887.jpg
rear 1/4 build primer by madspikes, on Flickr

Ok this rear 1/4 has always been odd. The original paint went all crazy paved on this rear panel. Looks like a deeper sand required! Any suggestion as to what might cause this?

Mad. :angry:

stef205

You'll be better off using etch primer far superior than high build stuff. I use it after sand blasting gives a better coverage.

madspikes

You'll be better off using etch primer far superior than high build stuff. I use it after sand blasting gives a better coverage.

I thought etch primer was just for bare metal, not gone that far back. I've just got back to the original colour and factory primer.

I thought etch primer was just for bare metal, not gone that far back. I've just got back to the original colour and factory primer.