• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

taylorspug

[project] Silver 1.9 Gti 16v Project (now Gti-6)

Bakes100

Lovig the install there mate im looking to have a similar layout on mine with the battery in the boot and a filter up on the t/b.

What have you done about the header tank?? you uing a 306 rad or another method?

:)

jonnie205

looking good mate, how is the icv breathing? did you tension the alternator with the mi pulley in the end?

Edited by jonnie205

GLPoomobile

Stunning looking install Dan, really good :) Should certainly instill confidence in anyone thinking of coming to you for a 6 conversion.

(Is that a really old photo of the Mi? I'm sure I've seen pictures of it with the engine bay looking all nice and tidy and fresh with the Mi in it. Could that be a cunning ploy, by using an older picture to make the 6 install look even better by comparison? ;) )

But seriously, loving your work!

Edited by GLPoomobile

DrSarty
What have you done about the header tank?? you using a 306 rad or another method?

He explained that earlier. If you look near the main hose of the thermostat housing which goes to the rad, you'll see his new filler. He has also given himself a 'high point' in the system for air bleed.

As this fella might say....'impressive'. :)

images.jpg

taylorspug
Looks superb Dan, were did you get that minty looking air filter from?

The air filter came from Car Builders Solutions, was only £18 plus the VAT aswell. :D

Very nicely done Dan. B)

Can't beat a professional looking finish rather than a blatantly obvious home brewed conversion. :)

Graham.

Thankyou. TBH thats what I was going for, a nice professional finish that was obviously not lashed together in 5 mins, but at the same time was no nonsense enough that you could use it every day and it didnt cost thousands to reproduce. Apart from a bit of paint and some new bolts for everything it was purely elbow grease and late nights of graft that got it to this stage.

looking good mate, how is the icv breathing? did you tension the alternator with the mi pulley in the end?

Currently the ICV is breathing on its own with a small piece of filter mesh over the inlet of it. Its working fine although my other option is to drill a hole in the back plate of the air filter and run a pipe into it. Yes i tensioned the alternator as you do, just used the std 8v belt and made up a sleeved insert for the pulley so it had an 8mm hole the same as the bolt. I will bring it up to yours later anyway to pick up those bits, want to give it a long run.

Stunning looking install Dan, really good :D Should certainly instill confidence in anyone thinking of coming to you for a 6 conversion.

(Is that a really old photo of the Mi? I'm sure I've seen pictures of it with the engine bay looking all nice and tidy and fresh with the Mi in it. Could that be a cunning ploy, by using an older picture to make the 6 install look even better by comparison? :lol: )

But seriously, loving your work!

LOL, thats a picture of the MI conversion after a year and a half of hard use, so it was looking a little tired! The ones you are thinking of are the original conversion, when i painted the whole bay and literally reconditioned every part. They are on Bens site which is down at the minute. And if anything it looks better in those than it does now, but i didnt go that mad with the painting this time!

The kind comments are much appreciated people, its always rewarding for people to notice the effort you put into detail. B)

GLPoomobile
The air filter came from Car Builders Solutions, was only £18 plus the VAT aswell.

I thought maybe it was one of those Quickshift/Quicksilver (can't remember the correct name) filters. They usually go for about £50 but I've always been dubious of them as I tend to think they are one of those style over function products (but I do like the look of them :D ). Still, if it's good enough for you Dan then I guess they shouldn't be sniffed at, as I'm sure you wouldn't go to all this effort and use a s*ite filter that will either strangle the engine or let bits of crap in.

taylorspug

They are pretty much identical to the filters you are thinking of, just half the price. The kit comes with reducing rings the lot (although the filter goes straight on a '6 TB). Christ the size of it means its not strangling anything, its bloody enormous! Its a nice fine mesh so im sure it will filter fine. TBH I just saw it on there when i was ordering some other parts, and thought for the money it wasnt to be sniffed at really. Its the same filter the local factors sell for £35, and that was what i was going to buy as ive used them before. :D

Bakes100

Do you get much heatsoak with the filter right up there??

Or with the extra air flow around the batteryless bay is it not as much of an issue?

Also do you have a catch tank fitted?

GLPoomobile
TBH I just saw it on there when i was ordering some other parts, and thought for the money it wasnt to be sniffed at really. Its the same filter the local factors sell for £35, and that was what i was going to buy as ive used them before. :lol:

Yeah, I might get one. Was gonna get a Green filter but this one is half the price :D Plus, it inspired me to look at the Car Builder Solutions website. Not looked on there for a long time. I get a sad satisfaction at browsing through car parts :)

(by the way, I'm still waiting for my replacment AFM before I send yours back, but I guess there is no rush now you have the 6 in :D . Hoping mine arrives this week)

taylorspug

Yeah no rush for the AFM, il be using it as my 'control' one for fault finding MIs from now on. :D

Although heatsoak is a common '6 problem im not expecting a big problem, my rad is probably 6 inches lower than standard so there is a nice filter-level gap for air to get in, although il need to funnel air into it to get the full effect. With the grill off mine looking in from the front you can see the front of the inlet manifold and the air filter, so there is a big gap! I doubt the batteryless bay makes much difference tbh, it just gives you more room to duct air to the filter.

Im not running a catch tank, just routed the breather pipe down the back of the gearbox straight to air. I had a catch tank on the MI for a while, and it breathing into the bay was coming through the air blowers and making the cabin stink of oil fumes!

Bakes100

Yea mine blows fumes through the vents at the moment!

Did you have any issues with the oil filter clearance with the lowering of the radiator?

Sorry for all the questions

taylorspug
Yea mine blows fumes through the vents at the moment!

Did you have any issues with the oil filter clearance with the lowering of the radiator?

Sorry for all the questions

No you fire away mate, thats what the forum is for afterall!

No real problems with the oil filter clearance, ive got about an inch or two, which is enough to unscrew it. And thats with a std OE Peugeot filter and a Mocal oil cooler sandwich plate. Tbh i had the rad mounted further back with the MI engine, but the bottom of the rad hit the bigger XU10 sump so it had to come forward 15mm IIRC.

I see you're from Colchester, were you the geezer a met outside the bowlplex with my mate Chris in his graphite 8v?

Bakes100

I dont think that was me mate, ive only had my 205 since october last year, it doesnt ring any bells.

Mine still has the standard heat exchanger thingy so the oil filter is pretty close to the rad!, if i lowered the radiator would it push it closer to the oil filter?

taylorspug

Must be someone else im thinking of then!

In lowering the rad you will have to push the bottom of it back towards the engine slightly, otherwise you cant get the bottom hose on as its too close to the front panel. One option is to angle the top forward slightly, this should liberate a bit more room for the filter.

Edp

Dan, i notice you mounted the air filter straight onto the inlet manifold. What did you do about the pipe for the stepper motor?

craig f90
I dont think that was me mate, ive only had my 205 since october last year, it doesnt ring any bells.

Mine still has the standard heat exchanger thingy so the oil filter is pretty close to the rad!, if i lowered the radiator would it push it closer to the oil filter?

Try using a Renault 19 16v oil filter. They have a bolt on the top you can get a spanner on and they are slimmer than the peugeot item. Ive had them on my 2.0t 205, with no issues at all. :)

taylorspug
Dan, i notice you mounted the air filter straight onto the inlet manifold. What did you do about the pipe for the stepper motor?

Didnt run the pipe in the end, its just vented to air at the moment. I did plan to bore a hole in the backplate of the filter at one point and put the pipe in there, but havent felt the need to do it yet. :)

taylorspug

Not really much of an update, more just a post to get a few photos up of the whole car (instead of just an engine bay!). Ive clay barred and waxed the crap out of it in the last few weeks so its looking lovely.

Car now has 309 wishbones and Compbrake 4 pots with 265mm-ish belled disks, all of which is way lighter than the std setup and was a sub £300 ebay bargain. Went for this instead of the usual GTI-6/307 option as i just couldnt bear the thought of those massive calipers and heavy disks dulling the steering response.

Ive ordered from the Gaz group buy, so will have front coilovers with eccentric top mounts in a couple of weeks to dial in a touch more static camber and some caster. Ive also come to my wits end with the Marangoni tyres. At the time they were cheap and have done the job admirably. But they are far too hard and their wet weather performance is terrible, i had 100mph wheelspin in 4th last weekend going up a motorway sliproad. So probably a set of Paradas on the way.

Also just picked up a 75 deg stat from my motor factors today to try and keep temperature down a little, as my lower temperature fan switch is holding the fan on most of the time, which is straining the battery/alternator.

gyblymay08.jpg

gyblymay082.jpg

gyblymay083.jpg

gyblymay084.jpg

28CRAIG

Car look very nice mate you got any close up pics of the brakes? But i wouldnt get Pradas if you want any wet weather grip.

Super Josh

Looks lovely Dan :wacko: But I agree with Craig, Paradas aren't that great in the wet, would rather have Eagle F1s on a road car TBH

Josh

maxi
Looks lovely Dan :wacko: But I agree with Craig, Paradas aren't that great in the wet, would rather have Eagle F1s on a road car TBH

Josh

I agree Josh. Dan knows that I swear by F1's, they give as much confidence in the wet as they do in the dry.

Maxi

j_turnell

Car looks lovely mate, also another vote for eagles in the wet :wacko:

Super Josh
I agree Josh. Dan knows that I swear by F1's, they give as much confidence in the wet as they do in the dry.

Maxi

Couldn't agree more Adam. I used to have F1s on mine and you could floor it out of a junction/onto a roundabout and you'd only get a slight chirp from the fronts, the Paradas on the other hand spin up like a catherine wheel.

I realise everyone likes the Paradas because you can use them on track and the tread blocks don't over heat in 10 mins like the F1s do. But my car is used 100% on the road these days. :wacko:

Josh

taylorspug

Ok thanks for the comments regarding the Paradas in the wet. May have a rethink. Ive got to get another set of wheels done for them first so ive got time.

Craig i will get some pictures of the brakes, they are THIS kit (the smaller disks). Even though they were for a saxo/106 they fitted perfectly as the hub offset is the same. All i had to do was dress the edge of the wishbone balljoint down as it was and still is very close to the disk. Im presuming being a motorsport type application they were designed around RJ'ed wishbones with more clearance.

Alastairh

Looks good Dan as always :angry:

Whats this Bm your building? Sounds intresting :D