• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

taylorspug

[project] Silver 1.9 Gti 16v Project (now Gti-6)

tom_m
Noise though is another matter. The induction note is alot harsher than an engine with the resonator box and cone filter. Also there is alot more of a change in the noise as the motor comes on cam. I like it personally, the noise is a great part of the driving experience imo. It has the added benefit of making stuff easy to get to under the manifold, can even get to the starter easily.

Only asking as i'd heard the resonator helps to give an even spread of torque. They must be bloody noisy without though ;)

you can certainly hear him coming thats to be sure! :blush:

it's a cracking sound the comes out of Dan's i've not heard another standard 6 sound like it if I'm honest. :lol:

djinuk

I may lose the resonator box as i hate cluttered bays. Just want someone to confirm it dosent make any diff on power or anything crucial

James_R

apparently it increases the top end (fractionally) and the cost of some midrange torques, will you notice it in a tin can 205 = doubtful

taylorspug

Yes may well give it a bit more top end, but ive certainly noticed no major power difference, im sure Maxi didnt when he took the one of his black std '6 either. Tbh i mainly did it for access and the nicer induction note! :rolleyes:

Car is back in the workshop this sunday to be stripped ready for some engine goodies, so updates soon. :lol:

Paul_13

:):lol::wub: :wub: :wub:

Beautiful, Silver GTI's look alot nicer with grey wheels than black (like mine)

Is the handling noticeably different with the ZX trailing arms?

taylorspug

Couple more pictures I had on my phone, can see the camber in the first one!

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

Also got a couple of a recent engine conversion I did into a mint K-plate, retained the PAS and carbon cannister on this.

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

taylorspug
:):o:D:o:wub:

Beautiful, Silver GTI's look alot nicer with grey wheels than black (like mine)

Is the handling noticeably different with the ZX trailing arms?

Yes, the car becomes alot more stable in fast corners imo, and the reduced toe in makes it easier to point the nose into an apex. With the setup im running now the car is a bit nervous at higher speeds, but im talking 140+ on my nice private road...

djinuk

very nice stand on the 2nd pic, where i want mine sitting ideally.

taylorspug

Its on a slight hill there so the back is sitting down slightly. Its a touch high at the back imo (ive had a couple of sketchy lift off moments!), so im going to knock it down a touch, probably just 10mm.

Dom9

Dan - Looks great mate!

Glad to see everything is going so well!!! :unsure:

taylorspug

Update time!

Ive mocked up the bodies onto the engine now, as expected the manifold angle meant i couldnt get the induction length i was looking for, as seen below. The trumpets would have gone on, but the bonnet wouldnt have closed and the fuel rail was really tight on one of the bonnet ribs- not ideal!

DSC00043.jpg

So ive had a mate machine the face of the inlet (head side) to a wedge, along with building up and re-machining the bolt holes so the face of the bolts sat flat on the angled flange. Its dropped the manifold about an inch which is pretty much spot on. If i went much lower id have problems getting the trumpets and filter to clear my oil cooler pipes. Below is an after machining shot, you can make out how much its dropped from the first picture.

DSC00054.jpg

Im using 75mm trumpets along with a sausage type ITG filter. To get all of this to fit with a little clearance, ive had to take 30mm out of the back edge of the slam panel. However as usual i wanted the whole thing to look as factory as possible, so ive cut and re-made the rear edge of the slam panel, welded it all back together, radiused the edge and filled one of the access holes in the panel. Its come out really well as you can see, especially as it was being a bit of a twat to weld. Ive got a feeling the MIG needs a service! This will be painted black.

DSC00056.jpg

Im still not decided what im doing cam-wise at the minute, will update when ive made a decision! Ive mounted the regulator on the drivers side inner wing next to the engine mount, i handily used the stud for the front buffer to attach it, as i really dont like drilling holes in my car unless i have to! Will get a picture of this at some point. The cam covers will also be going black when they come off for the cams to go in, as i think it will look better with the red bodies. The paint is peeling off of the front one anyway. Ive assembled the Jenvey linkage (thanks James!) and figured out the cable route, so thats ready to finally fit. I cant bolt any of the inlet on for good at the minute, as im waiting on a PTFE inlet gasket, apparently a batch is being made soon. The dipstick is sorted, just chopped the mounting lug off, turned it around and upside-down, welded it back on and it now picks up on one of the inlet bolts to secure. Managed to bend it so it doesnt obscure any bolt holes or foul the linkage either! Again picture on the way.

Decided on using an XU7 all in one coilpack. I dont think the Emerald has enough coil drivers to use the individual coils, plus this is a bit easier to wire in. Also like it over say a Zetec one as it looks OE when bolted down (still keeping to the 'factory look' theme! :rolleyes: ). So far ive cut away the end muonting hole so it fits around the master cylinder, but need to find a solution to it not fitting around the oil filler. Does anyone know if its just the plastic cam covers that have the oil filler slightly further over, or do the lesser spec alloy ones have it this way aswell? If i cant find a suitable one il get the old man to work his magic relocating the cutout in the plastic a bit further over. Got my loom and new sensors from Emerald too, will dive into this later in the week, only slight difference to most setups is im planning on running sequential rather than batch injection. This also means i will be retaining the standard cam pulleys.

Had the exhaust apart to fix a rattling baffle in the backbox, plus its sounded s*ite for months now so i suspected it was missing its sound deadening. Chopped the top open to find this:

DSC00051.jpg

Loose baffle pipe and absolutely no sound deadening! So ive welded the baffle in and packed the silencer with steel wool. Not sure how long it will last but it was cheap and i dont like that rockwool stuff, it always seems to fall apart too quick for my liking. Anyway did all the, folded the top back down and welded it shut- job done!

And one last picture as she stands:

DSC00053.jpg

oli-pug

Great work man. Like what you've done with the slam panel, does look nice and o.e!

Alastairh

Love the slam panel :rolleyes:

Al

Tom Fenton

I also like the slam panel, nicely finished. However for the OE look I would be tempted to get some of the factory beige colour mixed and spray it the original shade again.

willmounsey

Your wee pug's mint mate just read this tread this morning and hat's off to you man you know what your at anyway :)

Ive only seen one other silver and that was a jap import here in Ireland, its a gorgeous colour and your wheels compliment it well. :rolleyes:

Will

taylorspug

Im glad people like the slam panel, im rather happy with it!

Tom- i did consider getting the old man to mix some beige up, but the OE slam panels are supplied in black now, and that ties in with my colour scheme, and im a tart like that, and ive already got a load of the paint from another job- so black it is! Im at pains to get the colours sorted so nothing clashes aswell.

Will look good with the bonnet up i think, silver bay, black accessories and then a small compliment of red, it matches the colour scheme on the outside of the car.

Will- Thanks, yeah silver ones are a bit rarer than some GTIs, ive certainly only ever seen a handful. It was that reason that kept the car silver in the first place, as i was tempted to change the colour in the early days. Plus ironically im not a massive fan of silver as a car colour! :rolleyes:

The wheels are one of the best bits about the car, really wasnt sure how they would look on silver, but turns out they look just as good as they do on a Goodwood. :)

willmounsey
Im glad people like the slam panel, im rather happy with it!

Tom- i did consider getting the old man to mix some beige up, but the OE slam panels are supplied in black now, and that ties in with my colour scheme, and im a tart like that, and ive already got a load of the paint from another job- so black it is! Im at pains to get the colours sorted so nothing clashes aswell.

Will look good with the bonnet up i think, silver bay, black accessories and then a small compliment of red, it matches the colour scheme on the outside of the car.

Will- Thanks, yeah silver ones are a bit rarer than some GTIs, ive certainly only ever seen a handful. It was that reason that kept the car silver in the first place, as i was tempted to change the colour in the early days. Plus ironically im not a massive fan of silver as a car colour! :rolleyes:

The wheels are one of the best bits about the car, really wasnt sure how they would look on silver, but turns out they look just as good as they do on a Goodwood. :o

You wouldn't have any of the earlyer pic's i could have a gander at if its not too much bother?

all the links for pic's before page 17ish dont seem to work :)

Cheers

Will

Dom9

Liking the slam panel a lot Dan!

The car is looking great - A real labour of love, huh? :)

maxi

Looking good mate, just as we suspected no wadding left in the backbox at all! Glad my "open heart surgery" technique worked for you! (Still should have drawn you a pic!! :) :) )

Wont be long until you are back on the sussex streets inducting all sorts of small things, like Evos and RX7's..... :)

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=day15db9.jpg

Thats a pic of my engine bay with black rocker covers (16v badge diamond cut) and a brand new slam panel in the now std colour of black...... Should give an idea of dans final result only his will have the nice contrast of a silver engine bay. Should look the tits!

Maxi

Edited by maxi

taylorspug

The earlier pics were on another site which dissappeared, ive still got most of them il get them back up when ive got a spare few hours.

Cheers Dom, yeah its all about the love on this car, i can always visualise what i want it to end up like, so its just a case of grafting hard until its done and looks spot on. ALOT of fiddling about though, i seem to be in a constant cycle of waiting for stuff to arrive at the minute.

Maxi- You and that bloody picture, the best we got was a drawing of a backbox on a bit of wood IIRC! As for the Jap stuff, they can come past all day for all i care, im having more fun...! :)

Will give them a push up the road though. :)

willmounsey
The earlier pics were on another site which dissappeared, ive still got most of them il get them back up when ive got a spare few hours.

Sound mate i'll keep an aye out :rolleyes:

taylorspug

A small update, sorry about the picture quality!

Heres the regulator mounted:

DSC00043-1.jpg

As you can see ive picked up on the stud for the front engine mount buffer.

The modified dipstick:

DSC00045.jpg

Recieved these this morning:

DSC00049.jpg

And this is a picture of the XU7 coilpack fitted. The coilpack was for a plastic cam covered car, so the cover part had the cutout for the oil filler in the wrong place. So i drilled the rivet things out and modified the GTI6 cover to fit. Next up the whole thing wouldnt sit flush against the head. This was due to the lugs for the original coilpacks getting in the way. I didnt want to start grinding bits off the head, so instead just nipped the plastic corners off the coilpack. Then it was just a case of chopping the end mounting lug off to miss the master cylinder and job done. Ive seen a few posts about how the metal cam covered ones (XU10J4R) will fit 'straight in the '6 engine'. They wont, basically. But a couple of hours work gets it all in nice.

DSC00042.jpg

Now waiting for a new die grinder (mine has sh*t itself) so i can match the inlet ports to the inlet manifold, as the manifold is actually bigger. Only a mm or so difference, so il just blend them in. Im not sure what it will do for the head flow/gas speed etc, as i know how well the standard head flows, but its got to be better than having a lip.

Once that is done the bodies can go on for good, along with the linkage, trumpets etc. Loom will follow shortly after. Ive also got new suspension goodies, but they need a rebuild so will have to wait a while.

Does anyone know if you can buy the bits to rebuild your shocks from the manufacturer? I fancy giving it a go.

welshpug
Does anyone know if you can buy the bits to rebuild your shocks from the manufacturer? I fancy giving it a go.

been a while since I rear the whole thread so I don't know what dampers you run, but here's a thread that may be of interest on the subject;

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.ph...5&page=last

DrSarty

Nice work Dan.

How's my little 1.6? Will see you on the morning of Tuesday 28th at your place, but I'll phone in advance. Maybe this will be running by then???

taylorspug
been a while since I rear the whole thread so I don't know what dampers you run, but here's a thread that may be of interest on the subject;

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.ph...5&page=last

Ive been running GAZ coilovers for about 6 months now, bought them from the group buy. However im now selling these as ive got some 'tarmac spec' (whatever that actually equates to!) Ledas to replace them. One however has lost its bump damping so i may aswell get both redone.

Cheers for the link Welsh, il watch it with interest. :lol:

Sarty yes your 205 is fine, has a slow puncture in the offside rear wheel and thats about it! I will be ready for the 28th, i doubt my 205 will though, waiting for bits and bobs is making progress slow at the moment.