• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

taylorspug

[project] Silver 1.9 Gti 16v Project (now Gti-6)

Alastairh
Im so impressed with it, even with the map that was already on the ecu, the car is alot quicker, drives perfect and sounds perfect. I know the previous car these were on had a few problems with backfiring etc, but tbh i cant account for any of these, its run perfectly all the time so far.

I drove the car these were attached to for 2 weeks. It would pop and bang at 1600 rpm crawling in traffic and produce horrific flames going down through the gears that got me flashed from the law. We intended to grab a copy of Kates emerald map and compare data but never got round to it. Might be worth considering if you do have problems with the mot, im sure she may well have a copy of it somewhere.

Sounds awesome though. :D

Al

taylorspug
Except for when it's submerged under 5 feet of flood water :P

Bit I love on that video is the millisecond where you put your foot down. Before you even come in to shot, there's a faint 'nnnnnnnnrrrrrrrrrr', and then you mash the throttle and it goes 'NNNNNAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH :lol::(:angry: ' :lol: . Just love it :wub:

Lol, yeah generally just stand at the top of the hill and spectate when it rains hard!

It does sound good, probably better than i expected.

I drove the car these were attached to for 2 weeks. It would pop and bang at 1600 rpm crawling in traffic and produce horrific flames going down through the gears that got me flashed from the law. We intended to grab a copy of Kates emerald map and compare data but never got round to it. Might be worth considering if you do have problems with the mot, im sure she may well have a copy of it somewhere.

Sounds awesome though. :D

Al

I can only assume there was some sort of sensor problem before, ive just stuck it on my car with brand new sensors and its been good as gold since the start. It even idles at 750rpm! Me and Baz stood there chatting for about 15 mins while it was idling and you can barely hear it. Im not sure what map is on it, but in the description box it says GTI6, 190hp, 100 and something lb/ft torque. Was it taken to Emerald and mapped for that engine?

The one thing I will say is after plumbing a gauge into the FPR, it was running super low fuel pressure, literally like 2 bar. Although obviously its on a different car/pump combination now. Weak mixture would have made it backfire quite alot.

rubyna

Sounds sweet as mate, glad shes back on the deck after the Leda saga... Heres another BIG thumbs up

for Dans work, picked my car up the other day after he fitted a 6 into her well happy with the attention

to detail!! Time to enjoy your motor now mate...

Luke.. :lol:

Baz
Lol, yeah generally just stand at the top of the hill and spectate when it rains hard!

It does sound good, probably better than i expected.

I can only assume there was some sort of sensor problem before, ive just stuck it on my car with brand new sensors and its been good as gold since the start. It even idles at 750rpm! Me and Baz stood there chatting for about 15 mins while it was idling and you can barely hear it. Im not sure what map is on it, but in the description box it says GTI6, 190hp, 100 and something lb/ft torque. Was it taken to Emerald and mapped for that engine?

The one thing I will say is after plumbing a gauge into the FPR, it was running super low fuel pressure, literally like 2 bar. Although obviously its on a different car/pump combination now. Weak mixture would have made it backfire quite alot.

From memory, something like NE Motors, Shepton mallet rings a bell for where it was mapped. I have a feeling i left a load of the paperwork for the 306 they were on in the box that i gave you with them!

base-1

Sounds mint! Good to see it going again, really tidy car this. Would be interested in more long-term opinions on the suspension too :lol:

Anthony

I think Al is exagerating somewhat - the car started and idled fine, and drove fine on cruise and under load, it just gave a symphony of pops and bangs on overrun. Great if you were in the mood, less so when trying to quietly make your way through the housing estate at 2am and not wake your neighbours :(

If there's no such soundtrack on yours then I'd hazard a guess that it was probably either the TPS not setup in Emerald, or the 'bodies being fractionally out of balance that was the cause of the problem, probably not helped at all by the stupid drainpipe exhaust that it had fitted... wouldn't have been much I'm sure, but I broke the car for parts before I even plugged the laptop in to have a look :lol:

As Baz said, it wasn't mapped at Emerald but somewhere in the West country - the dyno graph and (bloody expensive) invoice was in the box when I sold it.

taylorspug

Cheers Luke, glad you are happy with my work!

Pictures:

Picture061.jpg

Picture062.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Picture064.jpg

Picture065.jpg

Just need to get the 16v badge polished, and change those bloody open spades on the water temp gauges to insulated ones!

Matt Holley

That is a really tidy install, liking that alot, I see you are using an expansion tank now, did you have problems before without it?

GLPoomobile

It's such a small detail in the grand scheme of things, but I love how tidy the modification to the slam panel is. It looks OE <_<

taylorspug

Thanks Matt. <_<

No it turned out i actually had no problems with it, i was trying to diagnose a problem which i thought could have been a blown head gasket, as i had hoses expanding when the car was revved. It in the end was a problem with mismatched hose routing between the 205 and GTI6 setups. Hence why i make significant changes to the water circuit on the engine side of all my conversions now. I just never bothered to change it back once id found the problem.

A few people have mentioned it, and im extremely tempted to put the in line filler back on and run it all summer to prove it works, as i know people were sceptical at the time!

Matt Holley

Im not one of the sceptics, just interested, its good to see things done differantly sometimes., are you using the 306 dt distribution block on the back of the engine?

taylorspug

Not on my car no, im using a three outlet one (ie one for the bottom hose, 2 smaller ones) the same setup as an 8v, i dont run the metal pipe across the back of the block on mine. Pulled it off something in the scrap yard. On conversions though i do run the 306 DT one, with one outlet bunged off.

Dom9

Soooooooo tidy!

Good work Dan, will have to pop down this summer for a look and a pint!

shalmaneser

Wow that looks ace! Lovely work.

taylorspug
Soooooooo tidy!

Good work Dan, will have to pop down this summer for a look and a pint!

Go for it Dom, you know where we are mate! You still in London? I spend a fair bit of time up there now as it goes visiting the girlfriend.

Wow that looks ace! Lovely work.

Thanks. :lol:

Well ive got an MOT on it now. Interesting time getting the brake tester to work with the diff, but we got there in the end! Got home, ran the claybar over it and cleaned off about three kilos of grinding dust engrained into the laquer! So in the morning il have waxed it, taxed it and then im off to enjoy the weekends sun in it.

And do a sh*t load of juice- happy days. :lol:

Paul_13
Picture061.jpg

Puts my conversion to shame :(

Really nice looking though, loving the throttle bodies :D

taylorspug

Got some miles on it today, and its bloody great! Does everything i need it to, and it doesnt even use too much juice which is nice.

Had a small technical issue with the inlet fuel filter banjo leaking (ie the only fuel connection ive not touched during the throttle body fitment :D ). Got over to Maxis, had a couple of whiffs of fuel, opened the bonnet and saw it was weeping slightly. No problems i thought, recruited some of Maxis tools and set about nipping the banjo up. Achieved nothing- it was still leaking. Changed the filter, banjo, fuel hose clip, snipped back the pipe etc etc, it was having none of it. So stuck it together weeping slightly for the 3 mile hop to my workshop to find a better solution.

Got down there, tried a couple of screw in fittings with no success, then after my mate Tom started rolled up in his V-Tec Mini claiming he had a filter with 5/16 tails on, i had a thought! When i stripped all the carbs off my BMW i remember it having a fuel injection filter with hose tails! Bit of rummaging around found it, fitted the pipes perfectly, and it even fitted perfectly in the standard 205 housing im using to hold the filter. Started it up-job done! The filter is an OE VAG one, so il get the part number and shout up a new one. Anyway we then shot off to console ourselves with a country lane blat, which pretty much made the whole afternoons titting about worthwhile. :(

Dom9
Go for it Dom, you know where we are mate! You still in London? I spend a fair bit of time up there now as it goes visiting the girlfriend.

Yeah, Lou and I live in Wandsworth these days; SW18

My Porsche will be at Autofarm for at least another couple of weeks, but when i get that back, we should have a blast down south from London or vice versa!

Will try and rope in a few mates! ^_^

taylorspug

Ah right, im further 'up the road' in EC1 alot of the time now.

Get yourself and mates down here mate, we have some superb roads for a nice sunny afternoon blast to a pub for some lunch etc. Ive been enjoying inducting the local countryside all weekend!

Really keen to see this Porsche too mate, sounds like a bit of a weapon. ;)

taylorspug

Small update.

Car is all fine, no real problems to report other than the offside driveshaft starting to make a nasty noise. Ive just been enjoying it really, which makes these types of threads a bit boring!

Ive fitted one of these though:

DSC00064.jpg

Very nicely made piece of kit, noticed the difference too, it got rid of a small flat spot in the mid range of the map, obviously as the engine was doing less work to spin up. Also means i cant finally time the engine up using the bottom pulley, without having to fanny about with an 8v one!

Car will be getting a rest for a couple of weeks now, due to an impending German adventure with certain forum members...

Cameron

Woo impending German adventure! :angry:

Awesome work Dan! I like what you've done with the slam panel. :D

Re the exhaust, you'll be fine packing it with wire wool if its the coarse stuff. BTB wrap the perf tube in wire wool to minimise particle blow-out, which is what has happened to yours by the looks of it, so it'll be fine. Wire wool doesn't have the best sound deadening characteristics so you'll find it will be a bit louder than a new box.

Looking forward to seeing this beastie in the flesh!

Tom Fenton

When you guys off to the ring then, I'm going over for the weekend around the 12th Sept.

taylorspug

Cam it seems fine with the wire wool so far, i just got it from Builder Centre so im not sure it was made with exhausts in mind lol! Its alot quieter than it was at idle and running, and doesnt deem to have spat it all out yet as its not got any louder, so should be ok.

Will be a good crack at the 'ring, ive just booked the ferry. :D

Tom we are going bank holiday weekend, so end of this month. Seems as though theres alot of things going on that weekend too, including a bit of racing.

Edited by taylorspug

Cameron

Yeah it should be fine, wire wool is wire wool at the end of the day!

Good stuff! James reckons it shouldn't be too busy either, I've heard a lot of people are going in the next 2 weeks so hopefully we'll be there after the surge. :D