• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

taylorspug

[project] Silver 1.9 Gti 16v Project (now Gti-6)

taylorspug

Pictures of the ribbed slam panel have now been added, if anyone is interested in making there own. Or if you want one knocked up for you PM me.

Car is now being prepped for the bodywork to be sorted, got all the rear end straightened out now after it was crunched, new bumper has arrived, and various bits im not happy with are being tidied up.

After getting the ZX rear arms fitted it became apparent that something was amiss with the nearside rear toe. After a measure up i decided the stub pin was bent, so swapped it out for another and all is now good. Obviously not going to be ready for the south meet, but should be back on the road by the end of the week. ;)

Alastairh

Nice one mate ;)

taylorspug

Had this running just over a week now and thought I may aswell share a few pictures of the conversion. As you can see ive had a play with the position of a few things in the bay, just to tidy the whole thing up and make it look a bit less cluttered. Also repainted a few bits including the brake servo after all the paint fell off due to a brake bleeder explosion.

The engine itself was from a 100k 306 Rallye with a snapped belt. It mattered little though as i knew a new head would need to be sourced as a certain company had got happy with a die grinder on the inlets. So a std head was sourced and reconditioned at QEP, and purchased along with a lightened flywheel. The bottom end was opened up with a view to replacing the shells/thrust washers, but a pleasant suprise came in the form of the rebuild it had obviously had in the recent past. Fresh honing marks on the bores and untouched shells hinted the whole thing had seen alot less than 100k!

So after a bloody good clean, chopping off the PAS/AC bracket and a lick of paint the whole thing was bolted together using a Xsara VTS gearbox and GTI6 clutch. Clearance issues were resolved by re-angling the exhaust manifold and chopping the end lug off the coilpack cover to give the M/C room to breath in case anyone is interested ;) .

It goes well, ive had a play with the inlet cam timing to shift the power band a bit further up the rev range, but apart from that its essentially standard. This being something which didnt amuse a friend too much when it crept past his Stage 2+ Saff in a straight line... :D Handling wise the front end is now desperate for a bit of negative camber, as ive noticed the outer edges of the front tyres getting a bit chewed up due to the extra weight, i never had this issue with the MI. Im going to slip onto a set of RJ'ed wishbones from the group buy next week to help cure this. Also a big fan of the GTI6 clutch, had no previous experience of this setup in a 205 but its an absolute dream (apart from fitting the box to the engine lol!), the pedal is now light as a feather. :)

Pictures:

TheGYBcleanedup013.jpg

TheGYBcleanedup012.jpg

TheGYBcleanedup011.jpg

Spot the bits ive removed/hidden (its easy really!).

Heres one of what the previous incarnation looked like:

TheGYBcleanedup009.jpg

All Praise The GTI

very clean mate

danpug

Looks as minty as your 205.

welshpug

now that looks a very clever install :) 205 rad with no expansion tank?

taylorspug

Yep! :) Just used an in line filler and have made up a tall bottle necked filler to bleed the system, seeing as the in line filler isnt the highest point. Its working fine so far, made sure i double checked for any water leaks, as there is no excess water in the system now. Ive got a bleed screw fitted to the top edge of the radiator aswell, where the outlet back to the header tank used to be.

Mikey G

Looks good but i would be concerned about the lack of expansion tank, they wern't invented for nothing you know!

RHULPUG

How can you see the coolant level until it's too late and the GTi6 has cooked?

Alastairh

Looks great.

Glad them sensors came in use :)

Roll on the South meet!

taylorspug

Ive yet to find a coolant level sensor on a 205 that works properly, so id never be relying on that even if i had a header tank. If its losing a serious amount of water (through a split pipe or something), a couple of litres in a header tank really isnt going to buy you much time anyway. In any case im not prone to building cars that double as water features so it shouldnt be an issue, certainly hasnt lost a drop so far and i just check it every couple of days along with the oil.

taylorspug
Looks great.

Glad them sensors came in use ;)

Roll on the South meet!

Sensors are working a treat mate, even the oil pressure one works pretty decent, and they usually read a little low on 205 guages. Only thing i had to do was modify the plug for the speed sensor as it wouldnt fit on the sensor unit. The gearbox casing was in the way for some reason which ive never come across before, it must be due to the difference in the casing on the vts box. :)

South Meet should be good, me and maxi will be in full attendance. :o Il take you out for a spin in the motor and buy you the beer i owe you too! :D

Alastairh
South Meet should be good, me and maxi will be in full attendance. ;) Il take you out for a spin in the motor and buy you the beer i owe you too! :)

Sounds good mate. Been looking forward to seeing the pair of your cars in full action.

Notice much power wise from your tweaked mi?

Al

taylorspug

Its a touch quicker through the gears *maybe*, although it doesnt pull at the top end like the MI did. Its still on std cams though so im not expecting miracles and will be rectifying that situation soon anyway. Also the MI was running on a 1600 box which may be throwing me out in the higher gears. Not too bothered for now, as long as its running clean and well, i want to have a play with the suspension for a bit and get it set nicely for a few trackdays in the summer.

j_turnell

Looking very tidy, nice install! Recon some pug stickers below the strut tops would finish off the factory look :)

maxi

All I can say is.... Hes done well the old kiddy!!!

It all started one night when we were in the local booza and Dan was talking about what to do with his 205......We then stumbled across the GTi6 subject and after two very excited phone calls, Dan had the engine! Been in the background watching all the way through Dans conversion, from taking the engine out of the rallye with no crane on a dark winters evening (we did struggle a bit) to bringing down cups of tea to the workshop at about 10.30 at night! Dan has some dedication!!! Its nice to see one being done with a slightly different approach. Dan and I had long conversations about most aspects and issues with the gti6 transplant and he attacked them his own way, big thumbs up! Dan hit the loom in the right fashion too and spent hours stripping out all the crap you dont need whilst installing the new sensor loom for spot on gauges. Literally everytime I popped down with a cup of tea at night he had done a load more and come up with a load of new ideas. I havent driven the car yet but Dan did take me for a ride and it feels and sounds awesome.

Top job mate, real credit to you and with the individual tweeks it makes it so different!

Maxi

All Praise The GTI

im having the same problems with a a speed sensor on the vts box. thought i was going loopy as it dont fitt!

have you just cut the plug down abit?

Super Josh

Looks lovely Dan :)

Josh

taylorspug
Looking very tidy, nice install! Recon some pug stickers below the strut tops would finish off the factory look :)

Its funny you should say that, i was looking at some old pics of when the car was 8v and still had the stickers, and thinking exactly the same thing...

im having the same problems with a a speed sensor on the vts box. thought i was going loopy as it dont fitt!

have you just cut the plug down abit?

Its a weird one isnt it? Bloody Peugeots! All i did was chop the very end of the plastic clip off where it was fouling the gearbox. The clip still secures with the metal securing ring on the one good side and seems perfectly fine. ;)

Lol Maxi we were struggling slightly taking it out the donor car werent we?! Bloody good job someone appeared with a 9 inch grinder to 'speed the process along'! Of course it would have got along a whole lot quicker if Jimbo had actually done something instead of standing there complaining about how cold it was...

Thanks for all the nice comments aswell people, it was alot of graft and just as many late nights to get it done whilst fitting it around day to day work. :D

Justin

Looks great Dan - a credit to your hard work.

Edp

Looks superb Dan, were did you get that minty looking air filter from?

Matt Holley

That looks brilliant :rolleyes:

Sloppy

does look very tidy indeed, nice job chief.

base-1

That's sweet Dan, really nice install :)

pug_ham

Very nicely done Dan. :)

Can't beat a professional looking finish rather than a blatantly obvious home brewed conversion. :)

Graham.