• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

taylorspug

[project] Silver 1.9 Gti 16v Project (now Gti-6)

Paintguy
Ive already got a 'stage 2' planned for the lump around christmas/new year when ive a little more cash.

Ahh... Stage 2 ;)

I've got one of those planned myself, after the baby's born in January. I was hoping to finish my car once and for all, but I've had to divide it up so I can concentrate on getting the house in a liveable state!! :wacko:

I'll just have to put up with a tatty engine bay for a bit longer, and keep casting a longful eye over the lump that will eventually live there :wacko:

feb

Nice, one perfectly restored 205 :wacko:

Hope to see it in the next South meeting.

Edited by feb

taylorspug

See theres the problem, life gets in the way! Plus i spend all my time putting cars together, the last thing i need is to come home, tired and edgy, only to see my own bloody car up on stands for years on end! My car is now a long standing joke at VW Racing, so i want to shut them up when i go up there in it when work commences in a few weeks! What motor have you got going in the Topaz then?

Cheers Feb, yup, will definately be there, couple more weeks and il be ready to roll!

Edited by taylorspug

Paintguy
What motor have you got going in the Topaz then?

It was a 1.9 Mi the last time I saw it, Clicky

It's under so much crap and dust though, that I'm no longer sure :wacko:

Some kind of rebuild's on the cards, as it hasn't got a guaranteed history, and if I find a few extra quid, maybe some upgrades too.

taylorspug

Christ on a bike, looks like its been buried for a few hundred years! That was the good thing about my motor, i knew the history well, and it came with another MI engine sans wiring, all for £200. Bloke even knew he was practically giving it to me, but didnt seem bothered as it was apparently 'going to a good home'. Dont know how he worked that out, my right foot being as heavy as it is and all... :)

credowan

looking great Dan,

When i get mine MOT`ed ill slide up and druel on your car mate,

Note to self:take a drip tray.

Keep up the good wrk mate

Gary

Paintguy

Two Mi engines for £200!

Now that's what I call a bargain!

taylorspug

Your more than welcome Gary mate, come round for a cuppa!

Bodywork should be commencing next week by the looks of things, so she will start to look a little less tardy on the outside.

Really did luck out with those engines, esp as id been on the look out for months and was about to go GTI-6 (=£££!)

Anyway, mini update, got my manifold spacer plate off Matt today, so engine is going in tomorrow morning, along with the relocated fuel filter and any other bits i get time to bolt on. Sunday is onto the serious stuff, wiring her up! :)

Andy_C

Looking good bud - you'll have to come over when it's finished.

pug_ham
See theres the problem, life gets in the way!
Doesn't it just, how I'd love to have nothing else to do than spend mytime messing with my collection of cars & once they are finished get somemore to toy with.
Plus i spend all my time putting cars together, the last thing i need is to come home, tired and edgy, only to see my own bloody car up on stands for years on end!
This was my big fear when I thought a career change mightbe inorder, I love messing with cars as a hobby but if it became a job things would change & I might never get anything done. I can procrastinate with the best of them even when I really need to get something done.
My car is now a long standing joke at VW Racing, so i want to shut them up when i go up there in it when work commences in a few weeks!
Bring it on!! A goal to set your sights on.
Two Mi engines for £200!

Now that's what I call a bargain!

I'm saying nothing, except same minus £50.:) (including afm, loom & ecu, somewhere).

Glad you got a reason to see it finished Dan, I think a Northern infiltration of a South meet will have to be planned sometime in the future.

Graham.

taylorspug
I'm saying nothing, except same minus £50.:P (including afm, loom & ecu, somewhere).

Glad you got a reason to see it finished Dan, I think a Northern infiltration of a South meet will have to be planned sometime in the future.

Graham.

Flash git! :D

TBH the working on cars thing isnt that bad. In the end its not like im a regular mechanic, its just when im real beat, i dont want to do anything, including cars. Alot of the time if ive been working all week, i just want to tank the car up and go drive at the weekends, and i cant at the moment! Think thats the most annoying part.

My time is going to get alot more hectic in 2 weeks (ie i wont have a spare moment until April), so this HAS to be done by then. Better get it right aswell, as the old girl has got to serve me all winter trudging up and down the M1 to Milton Keynes. Saying that ive already chatted to Mattsav about my 'stage 2' motor, so she may be off the road again sooner than i think! :)

Plus ive got my Golf to finish over the winter, as i want that testing by February. Definately racing next year so gearing up for that.

Anyways, today i have fitted the exhaust manifold, the 8v water connections (thermostat cover and plastic 'T' piece at the back of the block), changed the rear engine mount, painted some more stuff, fitted the clutch, and then got cut short by the rain just as i was going to stick the box on and get the motor strapped in. :angry::) Oh well, will do that 1st thing tomorrow now, along with cracking on with the wiring/installing the dash.

Couple of pics, nothing special though!

Piccies

Wait for good stuff tomorrow though. B)

DrSeuss

*cough* free bx16v *cough*

As for life getting in the way, i fully understand, nothing worse then having to do what you've done all day once you get home. Should be good.

taylorspug

Well the engine is in. Still got a few bits to bolt on, but the manifolds are all on and its all screwed in tight, so thats good. Pics in the link in my other post above, although its not ultimate shiny yet, there are a few bits still to paint, just to finish her off!

Rocker cover isnt sprayed yet, although as you can see in the pictures, ive stripped all the shoddy powder coating off of it (good old Nitromors). Will try and get that painted tomorrow, after going to the scrappies and ordering the last few bits to finish off the installation. :D

Happy days! :D

taylorspug

More pictures

Rocker cover is done, and it looks great! Got my dad to spray it all black and then instead of picking out the 16v logo in silver, he flatted it back down to metal. :D

Also done my fuel filter relocation, mainly due to its proximity to the exhaust manifold in the original position, at least now it is a bit better off.

Apart from that just been cleaning and refitting pipes, all with new jubilee clips. The pipes were in a horrible state and have been hard to get all the grime off, but are now returned to their former mint condition glory! Hope to finish up the basic engine install (bar wiring) tomorrow, and also clean/paint the hubs, struts etc ready for fitting. :)

pug_ham

Looking sweet & close to completion.:)

Graham.

pacey205
Got my dad to spray it all black and then instead of picking out the 16v logo in silver, he flatted it back down to metal.

Thats how I did mine, looks much better than spraying it silver as its got a better shine to it.

Whole car is looking spot on as well.

Michael

taylorspug

Pictures

Got a few more pics up, done more work than this but i just havent had a chance to photo it yet!

The wiring is well on the way now, and the engine bay is complete bar the wiring installation. Also have started putting the front suspension on. Had a small problem with one of the track rod ends though. Where someone had fitted it previously, they hadnt copperslipped it, so it was seized into the track rod. All attempts to remove it failed, and in the end the rod end sheared. :P

Radiator was too wide for the gap in the front panel, so i had to get a bit 'creative' with the panel...

And cracked my head on the bumper bar.

Apart from that all is rosy!

Thats how I did mine, looks much better than spraying it silver as its got a better shine to it.

Did you put any laquer on yours? Im not sure if the shine in the metal is going to dull down or not?

Paintguy

Great progress :P

Some good pics of the rad cowling there, should come in handy for Matt soon.

Some lacquer over the rocker cover may help keep the shine on the 'silver' bits, but it may flake off in time (as it does on alloy wheels. I'd suggest you just put some wax polish over it to protect it instead, and occasionally repolish it with some Autosol, then wax again.

DaveW

i like where the fuel filter is :P

taylorspug

Hadnt thought of just waxing it, cheers Andy! The rad cowling took a bit of time actually, as everytime i cut a bit more off, it would foul on something else! Got a good 20mm gap to the inlet manifold now though, so all is good.

The fuel filter thing is a safety thing TBH. I thought with the amount of fuel in it, and the possibility for leaks, id better keep it away from the exhaust manifold! Easier to change now aswell, as the bracket will remove with 1 bolt, and you can actually get to the 'in' connection properly to do it up.

And before anyone says, i know im using jubilee clips and not fuel hose ones. But in the last year ive had 2 of those fuel hose clips fail on me, both times resulting in fuel going all over the bay. I know they are better, but i just dont trust them at the moment!

pug_ham

Looks seriously sweet, a bit to silver though.:P

Not long now.

Graham.

taylorspug

New pictures

Bit of an update. Have now layed in all the wiring and started to connect it up, however the sensor loom is a mess and its confusing the sh*t out of me, so its Maxi to the rescue when hes got 5 minutes. Just need to know what connects to what as a few of the sensor wires have snapped off.

Apart from that the suspension is now fully on, as are the shafts and the brakes (just need to bleed them). The air filter is now on, it was too big really, but a bit of chopping of the filter neck and the AFM adaptor plate and shes home-just, may get a bit interesting when the headlight goes in though.

The clutch cable is now installed as i had to get a new one for the change to BE3 box, although i managed to mod the end of the cable instead of changing the clutch pedal, so no extra expenditure there, and saves a trip to the scrappy! Lots of little bits done, bonnet latch is on, slam panel bolted down, and i sorted the track rod problem by fitting one from a spare rack, along with 2 new track rod ends.

Tomorrow im on the exhaust (not my favourite job). As you can see from the picture, it needs re-angling at the end, but i dont think it needs shortening, bearing in mind its not all compressed up yet- what do all the other MI boys reckong from looking at the picture? :P

Either way im not fussed as im chopping the downpipe in half to make it into an OE spec item with the divider in the centre. Alot of work but i cant be assed to fork out for a new one, and i havent done a good bit of metalworking in ages! :DB)

Bodywork getting started next week! :)

DrSeuss

working out the sensors is easy. Just need to spend 20 mins with a multimeter. Ground the wires to the gauges to get them to operate, will determine which wire goes to which guage.

As for the downpipe, cutting it in half is mentalist, i doubt you'll ever get it to go right.

pug_ham

Looking good (still) & almost ready to run.

The airfilter could sit even closer to the AFM with a green top hat adaptor like I used when my car was still on Jetronic. About £15 but worth it imo. As you can see in the picture below.

induct1-2.jpg

Bet you really can't wait now though, just in time for the Snow & ice. :P

Graham.

taylorspug

Aha, but i have a plan! Now i reckon if i chop it in half up its whole length, then weld the divider metal onto one half, then put the other half of the pipe back on and weld that to the other side, so il have a 'sandwich' type arrangement, kinda like this (I), but with the welds externally. If it goes tits up, ive got another DP. :P Shouldnt do though, its not the worst thing of this kind that ive done...!

Graham- Yes that was an option that i considered, but im pretty skint currently, so that will come at a later date. I like doing little bits like this anyway, will be good at the end when i realise how little ive actually spent on the car! Yeah, cant wait for all that road grit and crap, she will be getting washed daily! :)

And yes im like a little kid on christmas eve, just cant wait any longer...!

Edited by taylorspug