• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

taylorspug

[project] Silver 1.9 Gti 16v Project (now Gti-6)

taylorspug

LOL, i can see me doing the mirror thing, if ive spent all this time on it, im gonna make damn sure people see it! Problem with the rain thing is this is my only car, will be used every day, so figured i may aswell do everything now, as it will be put into hard service after this and wont have time to be fussed over so much!

Theres one flaw in your statement though- spending this much time on my car means theres no possible way i can have a missus at the moment! :)

Not that im bothered-car is good, better than woman... ^_^

A18_RYU

haha funny u shud say that Dan, just after i finished my GCSEs i was still with my gf of two months. but a week on, i decided to dump her in order to work on car and live the wild life of partyin heavy, but that never happened... i worked on the car of a total of i;d say about 50 hours over the summer holiday.....and thats not a lot!!! and not a lot has been achieved. So, respect to u for the dedication to the car and not letting your willy think for u.

p.s i've just started seeing another girl lol hehehehe

A18_RYU

yeah, my project is coming to the final stages. but the big bucks are kicking in now. but enough about that!

looking forward to seeing your end product! and i hope to see it MATT BLACK! as my engine bay was sprayed matt black by myself (sh*t job, but looks better than it did lol)

taylorspug

Yeah enough of this off-topic crazyness!

I cant be more than a few weeks off now, little bit of cashflow wouldnt go amiss now ive gotta say, actually building the car shouldnt take me that long. But like everything, if im going to do it, it will be done right, so she will take as long as she takes. :rolleyes:

DSYKES5500

What's the correct procedure for protecting the underside?

Remove rust and get back to bare metal, what if you can't get right into the corners or under lips?

Red oxide primer

then is it a couple of coats of grey spray primer on top of the oxide primer?

then several top coats in colour?

then several coats of laquer?

I'm about to tackle the very same job so any tips would be appreciated.

taylorspug

Get various wire brushes, drill attachments etc so you can get to all the rust. If you really really cant get to some of it, then just scrape it back with a flat blade screwdriver.

Treat the metal next, products like Hammerite Karust are good for this, and basically 'normalises' the metal again so it doesnt rust further.

Red oxide primer now.

Stonechip guard the whole underside, this just adds a new layer of tough protection, so your handywork will last for years!

Then primer/etch primer.

1 or 2 coats of paint (your choice)

The same with laquer.

This is how i did it, and i did one good coat of paint and the same with the laquer.

Oh and if you find any seams etc that are trapping water, get some seam sealer and seal them up! The main ones are up in front of the fuel tank. In the end Pug didnt build them to last, otherwise nobody would buy a new car, so anything you can do to improve their work- go for it! ;)

Just as a note, by doing this ive noticed the stonechip guard/seam sealer applied from the factory is very hit and miss, i had hardly any in some places, and yet had too much in others (blocking up sill drain holes B) )

Hope this helps. :(

DSYKES5500

Thanks for the reply mate, looks like I need to do some more shopping B)

Where do you buy seam sealer from? Anywhere decent online?

Paintguy
Where do you buy seam sealer from?  Anywhere decent online?

You can get a brush-on one from Halfords, called Grey Stripe. Not online I know, but most people have one near them ;)

For even more advice on treating rust, do a search for "rust", member name "Beastie"

DSYKES5500

Thanks Paintguy, I'm just going through your photo albums at the moment, looks awesome! I'm looking for another 1.9 at the moment and fancy a black one. What company do you work for?

DSYKES5500

HOLD IT!! :( Just looking at J19 DNO. I HAVE to get Sorrento Green, that is a beautiful colour ;)

Paintguy
HOLD IT!!  :(  Just looking at J19 DNO.  I HAVE to get Sorrento Green, that is a beautiful colour  ;)

It's only black with a little touch of green mica (pearl), but it's very effective. I've done some bikes in similar custom made colours, but with a blue or purple flip instead of the green.

DSYKES5500

Damn weather has put my plans on hold ;) I don't have a garage to work in either. Bad weather and salty roads are looming ever closer.

Just wondered Paintguy what sort of figure you would charge to get the underneath where the spare wheel lives free from rust etc protect it and paint it? It's not on a 205 it's on my red VTS (pic in my sig) It is just mainly surface rust at the moment but I'd like to catch it before it starts to eat its way in. I'm not going to get a chance to do it this year now as I'm starting a university course in October.

taylorspug

Three new pics!

Been working my ass off all week trying to get the last few hundred pounds to finish her off, so not a great deal has been done. However we have turned a corner in as much as NO MORE bits are being taken off, yes, shes going back together! Im using alot of brand new bolts etc where i can, as i want a proper rebuild after all. This has made things so much easier, and at present its flying back together, the three pictures represent about a days worth of work, so not too bad at all. The engine bay looks really good with the brake lines painted satin black, tidies it all up nicely and colour coordinates alot of stuff! B)

Had issues with the studs that hold the fuel filler neck onto the car (ie they snapped off!), this was resolved by grinding the heads off the back of the studs inside the car, punching the remains through, then using a countersunk allen bolt and big washer to replace the stud, all seam sealed so the hole is watertight.

Ive also split the engine and box finally, not hard you may think, except when the clutch centre plate is rusted to the gearbox mainshaft, trapping the box onto the engine! This was resolved by removing the clutch cover from the flywheel with the box still in place, via a small hole in the bellhousing. :lol:

All new brake lines have been run under the car aswell, as i figured if they werent corroded to fcuk now, they soon would be, so replaced them all. And the exhaust heatshields are on, and....thats it for now! :P

Next job is to clean the engine up ready to install, which should happen over next weekend, as im working all week again. :(

Paintguy

Good to see that the Ben Allens gallery gremlin affects your links too :D

I bet you're glad you've turned that corner though. Trouble is, I've found more problems when rebulding mine, than I did when I stripped it :huh:

taylorspug

Sure ive had a few little problems, the studs snapping off the body was a pain in the ass, but not too hard to fix. In the end there is a long way to go, but all the time spent rebuilding and re-furbing stuff is well spent, so im not expecting any major hiccups. Bloody thing has been fighting me enough already!

Its so nice to see it looking like something other than a stripped out wreck, and my garage isnt so full of bits anymore! :huh:

credowan

Alright Dan, just wondering how things were going with ur project mate and if there were any new pics keep an eye on bens gallery

keep up the good wrk

Gary

Dom9

Danny boy, I'm home for a month so I might pop round and take a look - catch up with Maxi/Matt while I'm down there too...

Project looks great... Pity it's so f***ing cold and wet in this country! :wacko:

Ollieb7
I bet you're glad you've turned that corner though. Trouble is, I've found more problems when rebulding mine, than I did when I stripped it :wacko:

Corner turning yes - more like thats my body when i think 'now where did i put that very small clip'!

taylorspug

A few new pics!

Here

Now im not working again i can crack on with this baby and get her done. As you can see the gearbox is ready, and so is the engine now, bar the cam cover, so il get pics of that tomorrow. Hopefully have some pics of it installed in the car aswell. Also got myself an auto bonnet now, so the bodywork is sort of starting to come together. Nice. ;)

Dom- be my guest mate, would be nice to catch up with you. Hopefully should have her on the road before you leave, so you can have a go if you like!

Gary- We are getting there mate, slowly but surely! Didnt get any done last week at all, due to my racing activities and working during the week, but at least now i have the money to finish it off. Next few days should be picture heaven, as the engine finally gets installed! :wacko:

Edited by taylorspug

Alastairh

Great progress.

Keep up the good work :wacko:

Paintguy

The word MINT springs to mind :wacko:

Is the engine getting a rebuild first? I just noticed that flywheel, and it looks like the lump's been stood for some time.

taylorspug

Its been stood for a while yes, but was inside most of the time, the damp got to the flywheel i think. I really would like to rebuild it, but i simply havent got the money at the moment. I had the donor car running for quite a while and drove it 20 miles or so, the engine was pretty mint and only had around 70k on it from memory. Also was owned by a mechanic friend of mine so was kept in tip top condition and id 'known' the engine for a few years.

Ive already got a 'stage 2' planned for the lump around christmas/new year when ive a little more cash. This will include usual full rebuild bits including hone if needed, ARP rod bolts, balancing, head rebuild with 3 angle seats, catcams and verniers, Audi TB, raised rev limit. Oh Quaiffe diff aswell! :wacko:

I know it seems a bit weird to put it all together then take it apart a few months later, but as ive said before, i have to put a lid on things time wise, or the car will be in bits forever, and i really want my Pug back!

Obviously a full service will happen before it goes in, but it looks in top condition and drove with no problems a few months back, so im not too worried. Plus i want to iron out any niggles before the stage 2 motor gets installed! ;)

DaveW

its too clean :wacko:

taylorspug

Dont worry, wont take me long to mess it up. :wacko: