• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

taylorspug

[project] Silver 1.9 Gti 16v Project (now Gti-6)

taylorspug
Looks good Dan as always :)

Whats this Bm your building? Sounds intresting :P

Cheers mate. :)

mobilepictures064.jpg

This is or was the BMW. Its currently in a thousand pieces as i blew the engine up and the shell wasnt up to my standard, but is slowly coming together now when i get the time to work on it. Will probably drop it into one of the 'Classic Touring Car' type series once i have it up and running and have the budget to race it.

Pictures will appear once ive finished the cage and got the inside painted, the bay is already done and ready to go.

pug_ham

Looks ace Dan, makes me want a non sunroof 205 even more though.

Strange because when I first bought a 205 GTi I wanted one with a sunroof but that is almost 15 years ago.

Graham.

Edp

Always looks mint when you post up new pictures!

Always loved silver 205s....

Para
Had this running just over a week now and thought I may aswell share a few pictures of the conversion. As you can see ive had a play with the position of a few things in the bay, just to tidy the whole thing up and make it look a bit less cluttered. Also repainted a few bits including the brake servo after all the paint fell off due to a brake bleeder explosion.

The engine itself was from a 100k 306 Rallye with a snapped belt. It mattered little though as i knew a new head would need to be sourced as a certain company had got happy with a die grinder on the inlets. So a std head was sourced and reconditioned at QEP, and purchased along with a lightened flywheel. The bottom end was opened up with a view to replacing the shells/thrust washers, but a pleasant suprise came in the form of the rebuild it had obviously had in the recent past. Fresh honing marks on the bores and untouched shells hinted the whole thing had seen alot less than 100k!

So after a bloody good clean, chopping off the PAS/AC bracket and a lick of paint the whole thing was bolted together using a Xsara VTS gearbox and GTI6 clutch. Clearance issues were resolved by re-angling the exhaust manifold and chopping the end lug off the coilpack cover to give the M/C room to breath in case anyone is interested :( .

It goes well, ive had a play with the inlet cam timing to shift the power band a bit further up the rev range, but apart from that its essentially standard. This being something which didnt amuse a friend too much when it crept past his Stage 2+ Saff in a straight line... :D Handling wise the front end is now desperate for a bit of negative camber, as ive noticed the outer edges of the front tyres getting a bit chewed up due to the extra weight, i never had this issue with the MI. Im going to slip onto a set of RJ'ed wishbones from the group buy next week to help cure this. Also a big fan of the GTI6 clutch, had no previous experience of this setup in a 205 but its an absolute dream (apart from fitting the box to the engine lol!), the pedal is now light as a feather. :lol:

Pictures:

TheGYBcleanedup013.jpg

TheGYBcleanedup012.jpg

TheGYBcleanedup011.jpg

Spot the bits ive removed/hidden (its easy really!).

Heres one of what the previous incarnation looked like:

TheGYBcleanedup009.jpg

That's absolutely amazing. It looks so tity ! Where and how did you manage to hide all of those wires , cables, plugs and other stuff ? Your work shows me an idea I have to tidy up under my bonnet and I will take your pictures as an example. Could you make few more please ?

ps. Something like that show to us how great it will be if Peugeot will produce 16 V in 205 GTI. Everything can be fitted

Do you have power steering ?

taylorspug

Thanks. :)

I didnt have to do too much to hide the wiring tbh. The main thing that helped was taking the big plastic resonator box off the inlet manifold,so all the injector wiring could go under the manifold. This also makes the engine ALOT easier to work on, i can get my hand in to change the starter etc quite easily. Anyway apart from that i just made sure all the wiring was nicely cable tied together and wrapped up. Also making a new sensor loom helped alot, as i could run it as i saw fit.

No i dont have power steering, although it would have beeen easy enough to fit using the std brackets and mounts. Tbh if i was converting to PAS though id go the electric route.

Fox

That looks very very neat indeed!

How did you block up the hole on the resonator box?

Top work, I wish mine was that tidy!

Edited by Fox

andyjstone

Can I ask where the pipe goes that comes off the rocker cover breather pipe, does it just go down to under the car?

Currently I don't have anything on mine, but am planning to put a small PiperX filter on it, but was interested in what others are doing.

Andy

taylorspug
That looks very very neat indeed!

How did you block up the hole on the resonator box?

Top work, I wish mine was that tidy!

The hole is blocked up with a 4 pint milk bottle top and some silicone, fit in the hole perfectly!

Cheers, its all coming apart again next week so there will be some updates coming through.

Can I ask where the pipe goes that comes off the rocker cover breather pipe, does it just go down to under the car?

Currently I don't have anything on mine, but am planning to put a small PiperX filter on it, but was interested in what others are doing.

Andy

Andy, the pipe just loops down underneath the car to air yes. Havent had any problems with it like that. :)

Fox
The hole is blocked up with a 4 pint milk bottle top and some silicone, fit in the hole perfectly!

Full fat or semi skimmed?

I love solutions like that! :)

taylorspug

Semi skimmed mate, cant have full fat in tea its just wrong!

Also i wont take the credit, it was a random thing Maxi discovered after mine was first blocked up, as he did the same thing on his black '6.

Also works with Oasis lids etc, i dont think the inlet manifold really discriminates.

platty

:D

I've decided to go down the same route as you Dan ;)

I'll have to come and have a peek at your additions when your fiddling!

That sounds sooooo wrong I know :)

Edited by platty

maxi
Semi skimmed mate, cant have full fat in tea its just wrong!

Also i wont take the credit, it was a random thing Maxi discovered after mine was first blocked up, as he did the same thing on his black '6.

Also works with Oasis lids etc, i dont think the inlet manifold really discriminates.

Semi skimmed all the way!!!!!!!!! :):D;):lol:

Maxi

andyjstone
Andy, the pipe just loops down underneath the car to air yes. Havent had any problems with it like that. :)

Mine is just left with nothing on it:

Enginesmall.jpg

Works fine, even on the track nothing comes out of it, but I'm getting tired of everyone asking why there is a pipe with nothing on it and I suppose it would look more finished with something on the end!

taylorspug

Yeah it only relieves crankcase pressure, so it shouldnt have anything coming out of it other than maybe a few oil fumes. As you say though its nice to have a pipe on it just to finish it off!

oli-pug

Did you notice any difference in torque/ power delivery and noise with the resonator box removed Dan?

The Arch Bishop
Cheers, its all coming apart again next week so there will be some updates coming through.

When it's back together, I'm coming over to take some decent piccys with a proper(ish) camera if you're up for a photo shoot?

taylorspug
Did you notice any difference in torque/ power delivery and noise with the resonator box removed Dan?

Cant say i tried it with the resonator box on so cant say on the power/torque thing. However it does go VERY well for a standard engine, it a good deal quicker than my previous cammed MI.

Noise though is another matter. The induction note is alot harsher than an engine with the resonator box and cone filter. Also there is alot more of a change in the noise as the motor comes on cam. I like it personally, the noise is a great part of the driving experience imo. It has the added benefit of making stuff easy to get to under the manifold, can even get to the starter easily.

taylorspug
When it's back together, I'm coming over to take some decent piccys with a proper(ish) camera if you're up for a photo shoot?

Yes that would be really good, thanks Lee! Im sure Maxi would be interested too with the Carbon K-plate. We do like a good photo of our motors the pair of us! Just need to pick a decent location. :D

oli-pug

Only asking as i'd heard the resonator helps to give an even spread of torque. They must be bloody noisy without though :D

Think i'll block up the hole and see if i notice a difference, got to get some milk in the morning anyway! The extra access will be a bonus too.

The Arch Bishop
Yes that would be really good, thanks Lee! Im sure Maxi would be interested too with the Carbon K-plate. We do like a good photo of our motors the pair of us! Just need to pick a decent location. :D

Up Devil's Dyke is always a good one, problem is it's usually packed with walkers and cyclists.. Quite liked the ones inside Burgess Hill Multi-storie (think that's where they were) but they were a bit out of focus (I'm guessing camera-phone).

maxi

Im up for it! I could do with a few decent shots of my car....

Maxi

The Arch Bishop

I'd like to do some shots of yours Maxi, been drooling over it for a while now but oddly, I've never seen it round Buggers Hill. I'm not a great photographer, but can get a decent piccy out of a camera. Got any ideas for locations? Would take my 205 too but haven't got a trailer :D

platty

Can't really beat Devils Dyke on a clear day. There's a small carpark not far from the A27 that has some fantastic views. A few hi-res pics will be great. We'll have to do it again when I'm on the road :D

The Arch Bishop
Can't really beat Devils Dyke on a clear day. There's a small carpark not far from the A27 that has some fantastic views. A few hi-res pics will be great. We'll have to do it again when I'm on the road :D

That's the one! As I say, you have to be really lucky to catch the car park empty though! Remember getting some half decent pics of my old Mk1 MR2 up there one evening... Happy days...

timmsy19
Can't really beat Devils Dyke on a clear day. There's a small carpark not far from the A27 that has some fantastic views. A few hi-res pics will be great. We'll have to do it again when I'm on the road :lol:

do you mean near to me mark? there is quite a high point to get most of the view of brighton, lewis, heathfield and so on. cant remember what its called but its just off the A27.

let me knwo when i'll be there. need some good pics of mine with fello 205 owners